Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
Jim in CT

The absence of "God" from the democratic party platform

A Godless Party Expels the Creator

I'm not a huge Pat Buchanan fan, but boy did he nail it with this line...

"The howlers had it right. God doesn’t belong in that platform. "
Old 09-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
Sea Dangles

Maybe God is a Republican.
Obama has that effect on everybody.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 09-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Nebe

The separation of Church and State was a founding principle of our nation.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
The separation of Church and State was a founding principle of our nation.
"Church" meant the powers of the various religions that frequently interviened in state affairs for most of Europes development. The separation meant, for example, that if the Pope decrees we should go to war, he has no power in the US government. religious leaders cannot define our laws.

This principle has been bastardized to mean that religious beliefs, morals or philosophies have no place in our government. Our entire political foundation was based on religious belief - the constitution, declaration of independce all reference a "god". The beauty is you're free to believe what you want. I am not religious but do not get offended by other religions influence on this country. In fact this bastardization is leading to people losing their freedom as religion gets demonized, mostly by liberals.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 09-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
"Church" meant the powers of the various religions that frequently interviened in state affairs for most of Europes development. The separation meant, for example, that if the Pope decrees we should go to war, he has no power in the US government. religious leaders cannot define our laws.

This principle has been bastardized to mean that religious beliefs, morals or philosophies have no place in our government. Our entire political foundation was based on religious belief - the constitution, declaration of independce all reference a "god". The beauty is you're free to believe what you want. I am not religious but do not get offended by other religions influence on this country. In fact this bastardization is leading to people losing their freedom as religion gets demonized, mostly by liberals.
RIJIMMY is correct. "Seperation of church and state" was meant to make it clear that we are not a theocracy, that there is no government-sponsored, official religion. "Seperation of church and state" was not meant to express the idea that we should go out of our way to be atheistic. The founding fathers made it very clear that our founding principles are rooted in Judeo-Christian beliefs. They did not try to hide that.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Nebe

It meant that religion has no place in the decision making of our government. Thus, it has no place in our decision making for president.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
It meant that religion has no place in the decision making of our government. Thus, it has no place in our decision making for president.
"It meant that religion has no place in the decision making of our government"

I beg to differ...I suggest you read the Declaration Of Independence. Several references to God and government. No one ever told our elected officials that they are required to leave their religious beliefs outside of their offices.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
incorrect.
IF so, we do why swear our presidents in with a bible?
Federal courts - swear in witnesses with a bible
Label our currency and motto - In God We Trust?

last line of Gettysburg address -
"that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth".

Eisenhowers D-day address
"Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking" (OH MY GOD SOUNDS LIKE A CRAZY SARA PALIN!!!)

Roosevelt on Pearl Harbor -
With confidence in our armed forces - with the unbounding determination of our people - we will gain the inevitable triumph - so help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, Dec. 7, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese empire.

JFK at Cuban Missle crisis -
Our goal is not the victory of might, but the vindication of right- -not peace at the expense of freedom, but both peace and freedom, here in this hemisphere, and, we hope, around the world. God willing, that goal will be achieved.

I guess we have a lot of violations of church and state!

Old 09-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I beg to differ...I suggest you read the Declaration Of Independence. Several references to God and government.
The word God only appears once in the Declaration of Independence..

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

Declaration of Independence - Text Transcript

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
The word God only appears once in the Declaration of Independence..

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

Declaration of Independence - Text Transcript
"The word God only appears once in the Declaration of Independence.."

you left out the very next sentence...

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights"

Safe to say that by man's "creator", they meant God?

So the first 2 sentences of the Declaration each make reference to God. We've come a long way from that, to the DNC platform...
Old 09-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
We've come a long way from that, to the DNC platform...
Same can be said about the GOP platform....Unfortunately both sides seem to have lost their way when it comes to the Declaration of Independence

Old 09-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post

Ding, ding, ding.

Quote:
Same can be said about the GOP platform....Unfortunately both sides seem to have lost their way when it comes to the Declaration of Independence
Ding, ding, ding.

And the Constitution

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

today, Barak Obama

As painful as this day is and always will be, it leaves us with a lesson that no single event can ever destroy who we are. No act of terrorism can ever change what we stand for. Instead, we recommit ourselves to the values that we believe in, holding firmly without wavering, to the hope that we confess," he said. "God bless the memories of those we lost. And God bless these United States of America."

Old 09-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I guess the big question is, which religions do you allow to influence policy.

Chritianity, Judaism, and Islam all pretty much recognize the same God....but their religions are definitely different in their teachings and beliefs.

Just thinking out loud...

Old 09-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
I guess the big question is, which religions do you allow to influence policy.

Chritianity, Judaism, and Islam all pretty much recognize the same God....but their religions are definitely different in their teachings and beliefs.

Just thinking out loud...
"I guess the big question is, which religions do you allow to influence policy."

That is one big question.

I hope the answer is...any religion based on love, tolerance, charity, and the sanctity and preciousness of all life.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #16
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

They all Claim it...in there own words. Still Different views.

and everyone has individuals that have there own interpretation which doesn't jive with the religion.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
They all Claim it...in there own words. Still Different views.

and everyone has individuals that have there own interpretation which doesn't jive with the religion.
All religions are practiced by folks who are far from perfect. However, only one religion currently has hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of followers who support the notion of slaughtering innocent women and children.

Our country was founded upon Judeo-Christian principles. In my opinion, those principles are a pretty sure-fire way (though not the only way) to lead a good life, and to help others to lead a good life. If we stick to those principles, we will be OK. If we stray from those principles, we are at risk.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #18
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Unions = Organized crime
Old 09-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #19
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
All religions are practiced by folks who are far from perfect. However, only one religion currently has hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of followers who support the notion of slaughtering innocent women and children.

Our country was founded upon Judeo-Christian principles. In my opinion, those principles are a pretty sure-fire way (though not the only way) to lead a good life, and to help others to lead a good life. If we stick to those principles, we will be OK. If we stray from those principles, we are at risk.
But should our Country's Laws and Policies be driven by a religious principle...or should they be driven by the Contitution, And whether they interfere with the 3 core values of the declaration of Independence........Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness?

Old 09-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
But should our Country's Laws and Policies be driven by a religious principle...or should they be driven by the Contitution, And whether they interfere with the 3 core values of the declaration of Independence.......Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness?
That's a great, deep, profound question. And I'd say, if the constitution and a religious doctrine are at odds, we have to use the constitution as a guide. I'd hate to see a law that says you have to say the rosary, for example.

Although...there was a time when our laws allowed for slavery and segregation...the people leading the charge against those evil institutions, were motivated by Christianity.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
Although...there was a time when our laws allowed for slavery and segregation...the people leading the charge against those evil institutions, were motivated by Christianity.
I believe Christianity has also been used to defend both those institutions as well.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #22
scottw

Quote:
But should our Country's Laws and Policies be driven by a religious principle...or should they be driven by the Contitution, And whether they interfere with the 3 core values of the declaration of Independence........Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness?
beginning-

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

end-

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

our country's laws and policies are created through government, our rights are natural "self-evident" rights endowed by our Creator .. the Constitution was written to protect the individual from governement's inevitable infringement on those rights through it's laws and policies...we instituted a govenrment to secure our Constitutional rights and that government is supposed to be limited to and by the enumerated powers ...our country's laws and policies are only "religeously driven" to the extent that those creating laws and policies are "religeously guided"...whether or not they are religeously guided or driven or otherwise, they should not infringe on the rights endowed by our Creator and secured through our Constitution and protected by our government

Last edited by scottw; 09-11-2012 at 10:08 PM..
Old 09-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #23
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I believe Christianity has also been used to defend both those institutions as well.
Yes, Christianity, as you say, has been USED to defend both institutions. Which is why fundamentals, foundations, principles, especially original ones, must be adhered to, otherwise religions and governments will be "USED" to achieve ends which oppose the original intentions and subvert those original foundations and principles into the very thing that destroys them from within.

This is what progressives, similar to those who bastardized Christianity, have done to the constitution. They have illegitimately "interpreted" it and USED the bastard version to fundamentally transform a federal system of sovereign States beholden to sovereign individuals who agreed to "a more perfect union" with one another for mutual protection and a common commercial market and consented to a limited central government to bind that union and wrote a Constitution that laid out the foundations and principles by which that central government would be constrained against violating the unalienable rights of the people . . . have illegitimately "interpreted" that Constitution so that individual rights are no longer unalienable, but exist only as granted by government. They have transformed the fundamental relation between the government and the people. The government is now sovereign and basically unconstrained. The people are limited by government regulation and consent to less and less of that regulation. The people are divided into conflicting classes that require government to define what must be consented to.

Last edited by detbuch; 09-11-2012 at 10:21 PM..
Old 09-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #24
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Our country's laws and principles should be driven by the people. The constitution sets a framework, but doesn't dictate. We have the right to make laws. Those laws could conform with a religion or go against, it's irrelevant. Many peoples moral code is influenced by religion, so it would follow that our laws are. But it doesn't have to be and we shouldn't have a problem if it is or isnt.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #25
Sea Dangles

There are certainly extremists in all religions. Although they claim to have good intentions, they make me nervous regardless of their origins.It is great to have religious freedoms in this country but some choose this platform to assault the rights of others whom they disagree with.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 09-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #26
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
There are certainly extremists in all religions.
there are extremists in every area of belief, as Detbuch pointed out, extremists pervert or bastardize the belief that they claim to represent on order to attain goals that have nothing to do with the fundamentals, foundations and principles of the original beliefs, the founders secured religeous liberty because the felt that government imposed "established" religeous belief leads to extemism and perversion of religeous belief by those in power in government for purposes that have nothing to do with the fundamentals of religeous belief...they were right, which is why "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religeon, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"....it follows that those who do not necessarily have "religeous" beliefs do believe in something, that something is generally some form of government or organization that replaces "religeon" or in essence becomes a religeon of sorts, unions, political organizations and "cause" oriented organizations with charismatic leaders (these are the people that can wax eloquent and ad nausaeum with talking points and soundbites and twisted logic to sway sentiment but can barely muster a coherent thought when it comes to the fundamentals) or binding messages tend to follow similar paths and similar consequences when perverted or bastardized or when "some choose their platform to assault the rights of others whom they disagree with." ....

"rights of others" is an interesting phrase because "rights" seem to multiply as politicians bastardize and pervert the original intent, many "rights" that are assumed today are nothing more than promises made by people in government for their own benefit and have nothing to do with the original intent of the government that they represent...the progressives have turned this concept upside down, bastardized it to the point that many now believe that their various assumed rights are to be guaranteed and delivered by government, each group "pseudo-religeon" battling for previously non-existent government created rights used as wedges to divide us

Last edited by scottw; 09-12-2012 at 07:15 AM..
Old 09-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #27
chrisjoe13

You need "magic goggles" to see god..
Old 09-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #28
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjoe13 View Post
You need "magic goggles" to see god..
And what goggles would you need to see in the Constitution those non-existent federal powers that progressives, and those who "believe" in progressivism, see?

Perhaps there are different types of "magic." There is the magic of the unseen that moves the human spirit, and there is the flim-flam slight of hand "magic" that tricks us into seeing what is not there.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #29
chrisjoe13

I meant Urim and Thummim.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #30
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
?
Perhaps there are different types of "magic." There is the magic of the unseen that moves the human spirit, and there is the flim-flam slight of hand "magic" that tricks us into seeing what is not there.
And that, sirs, is as good an explanation of how religion works as you are going to see.