Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-10-2019, 10:38 AM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

Who said this?

“The liberal idea has become obsolete, It has come into conflict with the interests of the overwhelming majority of the population.”

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #2
Sea Dangles

Anybody who is paying attention would say that.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-10-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Wrong, though perhaps I should have said this is the word liberal in the 18th century sense that our government was founded as a "liberal" democracy.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
anyone who lives in CT who doesn’t work for the government could say it.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:24 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

Liberalism, as it developed in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries and flowered in the nineteenth, puts major emphasis on the freedom of individuals to control their own destinies. Individualism is its creed, collectivism and tyranny its enemy….In politics, liberalism expressed itself as a reaction against authoritarian regimes. Liberals favored limiting the rights of hereditary rulers, establishing democratic parliamentary institutions, extending the franchise, and guaranteeing civil rights. They favored such measures both for their own sake, as a direct expression of essential political freedoms, and as a means of facilitating the adoption of liberal economic measures.

Though that would be antithetical to Trumplicans, who are authoritarians at best and Monarchists at heart.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Liberalism, as it developed in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries and flowered in the nineteenth, puts major emphasis on the freedom of individuals to control their own destinies. Individualism is its creed, collectivism and tyranny its enemy….In politics, liberalism expressed itself as a reaction against authoritarian regimes. Liberals favored limiting the rights of hereditary rulers, establishing democratic parliamentary institutions, extending the franchise, and guaranteeing civil rights. They favored such measures both for their own sake, as a direct expression of essential political freedoms, and as a means of facilitating the adoption of liberal economic measures.

Though that would be antithetical to Trumplicans, who are authoritarians at best and Monarchists at heart.
Conservatives are authoritarians? Yeah, you really have your fingers on the pulse...And liberals believe in less central government, more liberty to the individual? You literally could not be more wrong.

I'm less free now, than I was from 2009-2016? No rational person believes that. Certainly no Christian believes it.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:24 PM   #7
detbuch

Quote:

The liberalism to which you are referring here is called classical liberalism which distinguishes it from what are referred to today as liberals. Those who are now called liberals are more correctly labeled Progressives. Progressives are not liberal in the sense of the classic definition.

The classical liberals who founded this country would be astonished at the power that Progressive government has succeeded in establishing over the individual in this country. They would not be able to conceive of how this form of government could be called liberal--other than how it liberally gives itself the power to excessively spend the people's money and to massively regulate the people's freedoms.

Progressivism, by its American founders, defines government as it has evolved in our time as the machine for creating society's good, and as such should not be inhibited or limited in its power to define and deliver that good. It is, by its own political philosophy, authoritarian, even to the ultimate degree, but in such a way that it would be akin to benevolent dictatorship rather than mere despotism.

The political debate and conflict in this country should not be portrayed as liberals vs. conservatives. Rather it more correctly should be portrayed as Progressives vs. Conservatives. Neither party today is liberal in the classical sense, but Conservatives are closer to the classical liberals than are the Progressives.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #8
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Conservatives are authoritarians? Yeah, you really have your fingers on the pulse...And liberals believe in less central government, more liberty to the individual? You literally could not be more wrong.

I'm less free now, than I was from 2009-2016? No rational person believes that. Certainly no Christian believes it.
Trumplicans are not Conservatives

Increased debt
Monarchical powers
Trade restrictions and tariffs
Destruction of historical alliances
Character is unimportant

What does Christianity have to do with Floridaman?

Perhaps like #4 you speak in tongues

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #9
spence

Quote:
He brought back Christmas, free at last!
Old 12-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #10
Sea Dangles

Had Christmas disappeared?
Old 12-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #11
detbuch

Quote:

Increased debt.

Can you name a so-called "Conservative" (other than Coolidge--was he called a Conservative?) that has lowered the debt

Monarchical powers

This is nonsense. Progressives are the closest we have to monarchical. Trump has deregulated a lot of the previous administrations monarchical regulations.

The "liberals" you referred to in another thread as reflected by our Founders imposed these things.

Which ones have been "destroyed"?

Character is unimportant
Character has its place. In itself, it has not been recognized as more important than performance. As has been pointed out, over and over and over on this forum, many, MANY, past presidents have been scoundrels but have been deemed to be great, or at least functional.

You demean the value of character when you over zealously apply it to someone you hate while overlooking its historical importance.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #12
spence

Quote:
According to Trump.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #13
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
And saved Thanksgiving too!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #14
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Character has its place. In itself, it has not been recognized as more important than performance. As has been pointed out, over and over and over on this forum, many, MANY, past presidents have been scoundrels but have been deemed to be great, or at least functional.

You demean the value of character when you over zealously apply it to someone you hate while overlooking its historical importance.
“In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. It was inevitable that they should make that claim sooner or later: the logic of their position demanded it.”

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #15
detbuch

Quote:
“In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. It was inevitable that they should make that claim sooner or later: the logic of their position demanded it.”
I prefer the logic that says two and two make four. In most cases that require the application of logic, I have a predominantly classical bent. Is there a logic to your position?
Old 12-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #16
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
I prefer the logic that says two and two make four. In most cases that require the application of logic, I have a predominantly classical bent. Is there a logic to your position?
Just some of those alternative facts, Orwellian ones in this case as opposed to the Barred kind

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #17
detbuch

Quote:
Just some of those alternative facts, Orwellian ones in this case as opposed to the Barred kind
Orwell was adamantly opposed to Big Brother surveillance. He would have been horrified at the notion that a "liberal" society would spy on its citizens.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:

Increased debt
Monarchical powers
Character is unimportant

Perhaps like #4 you speak in tongues
monarch powers? what authority, exactly, does Trump have which Obama did not have?

conservatives don’t love trump. they voted for him, because he was better than the alternative.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #19
Sea Dangles

Quote:
According to Trump.
Fake news

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 12-10-2019, 05:00 PM   #20
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
monarch powers? what authority, exactly, does Trump have which Obama did not have?

conservatives don’t love trump. they voted for him, because he was better than the alternative.
the Stable Genius at work

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
According to Trump.
Quote:
Fake news

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-10-2019, 05:37 PM   #22
Sea Dangles

He is clearly the greatest president of our lifetime.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #23
spence

Quote:
Trump seems to believe he's a monarch. Looks like a majority of Republican Congresspeople do as well.

The second article of impeachment, obstruction of Congress is undeniable.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
It has to do with Obama, who had no problem trying to force Christian to surrender their religious freedom, in order to force them to pay for elective abortions. In separate lawsuits, the Little Sisters of the Poor, and the owners of Hobby Lobby, successfully sued to get their religious freedom back. The Supreme Court ruled that what Obama tried to force them to do, was unconstitutional.

Christians have no such worries under Trump. Not saying he's a Christian by any stretch, but I don't see him telling me that my religion is exempt from the benefit of the First Amendment.

Any of that wrong?

Interestingly, the Obama administration ruled that Muslim truck drivers could not be forced to transport alcohol. The Obama administration said that you can't force Muslims to abandon their religious beliefs while at work. Clearly, Obama didn't think that right extended to Christians when it came to providing for abortions, or when it comes to gay marriage. Some animals are more equal than others...

Last edited by Jim in CT; 12-10-2019 at 06:49 PM..
Old 12-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
Trump seems to believe he's a monarch. Looks like a majority of Republican Congresspeople do as well.

The second article of impeachment, obstruction of Congress is undeniable.
Most republicans in congress see Trump as a monarch? Evidence, please?
Old 12-10-2019, 07:10 PM   #26
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
It has to do with Obama, who had no problem trying to force Christian to surrender their religious freedom, in order to force them to pay for elective abortions. In separate lawsuits, the Little Sisters of the Poor, and the owners of Hobby Lobby, successfully sued to get their religious freedom back. The Supreme Court ruled that what Obama tried to force them to do, was unconstitutional.

Christians have no such worries under Trump. Not saying he's a Christian by any stretch, but I don't see him telling me that my religion is exempt from the benefit of the First Amendment.

Any of that wrong?

Interestingly, the Obama administration ruled that Muslim truck drivers could not be forced to transport alcohol. The Obama administration said that you can't force Muslims to abandon their religious beliefs while at work. Clearly, Obama didn't think that right extended to Christians when it came to providing for abortions, or when it comes to gay marriage. Some animals are more equal than others...
Floridaman has also lost in court where he stepped on the Constitution or overstepped his authority and trampled on people’s rights
He’s currently being impeached for violating his oath of office
But no problem with that for you

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-10-2019, 10:26 PM   #27
Sea Dangles

He is clearly the greatest president of our lifetime
Old 12-10-2019, 11:44 PM   #28
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
He is clearly the greatest president of our lifetime
Days after getting mocked by European leaders and Trudeau in a viral video, Trump claims, "this country is so respected. And we were not respected four years ago. We were laughed at."

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-11-2019, 12:23 AM   #29
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
“The liberal idea has become obsolete, It has come into conflict with the interests of the overwhelming majority of the population.”
Vladimir Putin

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-11-2019, 12:42 AM   #30
detbuch

Quote:
Vladimir Putin
He's made a lot of omelettes.