Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-08-2017, 08:51 PM   #1
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Jerusalem

Good goal to someday have Jerusalem as the recognized capitol, or as an Open City.

Like the concept - now is not the time IMO.

As for Palestinian Days of Rage - ain't that every day?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 12-08-2017, 10:34 PM   #2
Nebe

Gotta make those evangelicals happy!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-08-2017, 11:03 PM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post

Well, most people that are not anti-Israel would like to see it or at least have it an open city. Not everyone hates the Jews or wears Che shirts ya know.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 12-09-2017, 05:11 AM   #4
wdmso

not anti Israel but honestly what benefit do they provide the united states compared to the head ache they provide us internationally.. look how they have treated non jews .
between the settlements and the basics its a 2 way way street but many pro israel see it as as a one way street and any negative your labeled a jew hater from israel supporters ....

if Trump just walked away from the 2 state solution which would be ok with me .. if he didn't roll a hand grenade in the room and officially pick a side and then walked out .. ( who's side we were on has never been in question) lets see how he likes the new reality
Old 12-09-2017, 05:19 AM   #5
scottw

President Bill Clinton made Jerusalem a campaign issue in 1992, attacking then-former President George H.W. Bush for having allegedly “repeatedly challenged Israel’s sovereignty over a united Jerusalem” and vowing to move the embassy during his administration.

George W. Bush castigated Clinton for failing to follow through on his embassy promise and vowing to get the process started in his few months in office. Bush never made a concerted effort towards moving the embassy and became embroiled his own Middle East conflicts.

President Barack Obama declared in a 2008 campaign speech, “Jerusalem will remain the capital of Israel, and it must remain undivided.”

President Donald Trump will begin the formal process of moving the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem Wednesday and recognize the city as Israel’s capital, actually fulfilling a campaign pledge many of his predecessors made.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:31 AM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
President Bill Clinton made Jerusalem a campaign issue in 1992, attacking then-former President George H.W. Bush for having allegedly “repeatedly challenged Israel’s sovereignty over a united Jerusalem” and vowing to move the embassy during his administration.

George W. Bush castigated Clinton for failing to follow through on his embassy promise and vowing to get the process started in his few months in office. Bush never made a concerted effort towards moving the embassy and became embroiled his own Middle East conflicts.

President Barack Obama declared in a 2008 campaign speech, “Jerusalem will remain the capital of Israel, and it must remain undivided.”

President Donald Trump will begin the formal process of moving the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem Wednesday and recognize the city as Israel’s capital, actually fulfilling a campaign pledge many of his predecessors made.
You might consider reading wdsmo's posts about whataboutism.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #7
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You might consider reading wdsmo's posts about whataboutism.
I try...it's never easy reading
Old 12-09-2017, 08:37 AM   #8
Nebe

My beef with Israel is that we give them billions of dollars a year. Their citizens get.... wait for it.......... free health care and a free education.

Let that sink in.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
Funny, many liberals were in favor of this, they even passed a bill naming Jerusalem the capital ( never signed into law). But when trump does it, it’s evil.

If the jihadists declare a fatwah on math next, or Mozart, are we suddenly afraid to tout those things?
Old 12-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
My beef with Israel is that we give them billions of dollars a year. Their citizens get.... wait for it.......... free health care and a free education.

Let that sink in.
It’s a tiny country that’s 99 percent white. And for damn sure they don’t have open borders. So not exactly an apples to apples comparison in terms of universal healthcare.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:19 PM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post

But when obama says it, it’s brilliant. When trump says it, he’s Hitler. Don’t you know that?
Old 12-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #12
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
It’s a tiny country that’s 99 percent white. And for damn sure they don’t have open borders. So not exactly an apples to apples comparison in terms of universal healthcare.
I’m sorry, but universal healthcare means universal health care. And why the F does my tax dollars go to them? They can take care of themselves.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:46 PM   #13
wdmso

what is the up side for the united states...? I see how Trump used it as a look what he did moment for his base... Can the base tell me how this policy change is going benefit the US
Old 12-09-2017, 05:58 PM   #14
Sea Dangles

I would like to know how Obama handing over 200000000 dollars to Iran helped the United States.

Oh,that was a good idea because it was Obamas idea right?
Old 12-09-2017, 06:15 PM   #15
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I would like to know how Obama handing over 200000000 dollars to Iran helped the United States.

It wasn't Obama's idea, it was set long before Obama.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:34 PM   #16
wdmso

Quote:

https://www.snopes.com/obama-bribed-...u-s-prisoners/

the $400 million dollar transfer was actually an openly announced one, paid in settlement of a nearly 40-year dispute between Iran and the United States — a settlement that likely saved the United States several billion dollars.

Back in late 1979, after Iranian revolutionaries took 52 Americans hostage at the US Embassy in Tehran, the United States severed diplomatic relations with Iran and froze Iranian assets in America. Among those frozen assets was a $400 million delivery of fighter jets from the U.S. that Iran’s previous government had already paid for.

please excuse all the facts
Old 12-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #17
Nebe

But her emails!!!!!
Old 12-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #18
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
what is the up side for the united states...? I see how Trump used it as a look what he did moment for his base... Can the base tell me how this policy change is going benefit the US
This will benefit the US solely by virtue of the fact that all Israeli government is based in Jerusalem whereas TelAviv is an hour way.

There is zero chance our current president gives the Iranians what we rightfully stole from them.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 12-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #19
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
And why the F does my tax dollars go to them? They can take care of themselves.
now you are getting it

I'm sure it is complicated but if they are the only nation that did not get a cut to their aid this year, there must be a good reason.

how about China? can't they take care of themselves? Australia? and on and on and on

https://explorer.usaid.gov/aid-trends.html

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #20
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
This will benefit the US solely by virtue of the fact that all Israeli government is based in Jerusalem whereas TelAviv is an hour way.
This is one of the only things I have heard that makes sense about making this move. Purely a business move.... With a little nod to his daughters' in-laws and their influential friends, who were heavy contributors based on their interest in the state of Israel

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
I’m sorry, but universal healthcare means universal health care. And why the F does my tax dollars go to them? They can take care of themselves.
No it does not. Asking people to pay for their own healthcare, isn’t anywhere near the same as asking people to pay for healthcare for everyone who chooses to stroll into the country. Nebe, is it the same for you to provide for you, as it is for you to open your door and let anyone in who wants free stuff?
Old 12-09-2017, 09:33 PM   #22
detbuch

But Trump is a white supremacist anti-Semite.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:20 PM   #23
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
No it does not. Asking people to pay for their own healthcare, isn’t anywhere near the same as asking people to pay for healthcare for everyone who chooses to stroll into the country. Nebe, is it the same for you to provide for you, as it is for you to open your door and let anyone in who wants free stuff?
You are off your rocker.

Universal health care. And free education for all.
What is it about this that you can not grasp?
Why do we give them billions?
Old 12-09-2017, 11:29 PM   #24
scottw

Quote:

Their citizens get.... wait for it.......... free health care and a free education.

Let that sink in.

they don't get free healthcare....they also pay co-pays, there are caps and they buy supplemental private insurance in addition

Wage-earners and the self-employed must pay 3.1% of their monthly salary up to NIS 5,804 and 5% of anything earned above that.[21] Employers are legally obligated to deduct insurance contributions from their employees' salaries, while the self-employed must arrange payment on their own. Pensioners have contributions deducted from their pensions, as do those receiving unemployment benefits. Those who are not working but have income must pay 5% of their income in health premiums, while those who are not working and have no income must pay NIS 170 a month. Only a select few categories of people are exempt from paying health premiums.

college is not free

After secondary education, students are generally conscripted into the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), but may request a postponement of the conscription date to study at a pre-service Mechina, undertake a voluntary service year, or study in a college or university. Those who study in a university at this stage generally do so under a program called atuda, where the tuition for their bachelor's degree is paid for by the army. They are however obliged to sign a contract with the army extending their service by 2–3 years.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:39 PM   #25
Nebe

Ok. I still want to k ow why we give them billions of dollars .
Old 12-10-2017, 12:44 AM   #26
scottw

Quote:

Every year, the United States supports over 100 foreign governments with billions of dollars worth of aid funding. According to the U.S. government, this is done to support global peace, security, and development efforts, and to provide humanitarian relief during times of crisis. Considered vital to U.S. national security, this funding is also allocated for strategic, economic and moral reasons.

The Obama administration has requested Congress allocate $37.9 billion to foreign assistance in the budget for fiscal 2016, the majority of it for governments in the Middle East. The final appropriation could differ significantly. The president requested the largest amount of aid for Israel, some $3.1 billion, primarily in support of peace and security.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #27
spence

Quote:
We give Egypt nearly as much money. Generally speaking we give them tens of billions of taxpayer dollars so they will buy US military equipment.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #28
wdmso

still haven't seen a compelling argument on up side for Trumps declaration and how this will fundamentally change issues on the ground in the middle east positively
Old 12-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #29
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
still haven't seen a compelling argument on up side for Trumps declaration and how this will fundamentally change issues on the ground in the middle east positively
He did it to toss his evangelical base a bone. That's about it. He's desperate for a hit, even a bloop single.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:27 AM   #30
Sea Dangles

I can see why an issue as simple as this has some of our best contributors confused. They scratch their head when they see a person actually do what they said they were going to do. They wonder how and why when things actually get done.