Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #31
scottw

just read this and wondring if this falls under some folks definition of "bigot"

Mayor Rahm Emanuel “Chick-fil-A values are not Chicago values,” he said. “They disrespect our fellow neighbors and residents. This would be a bad investment, since it would be empty.”

That last statement implies that Emanuel believes it is politicians, not markets, who should determine what is and isn’t a good investment. And that is bad news not just for fans of waffle fries; it bodes poorly for any Windy City business that chooses to support unpopular or controversial causes.

Boston’s mayor, Thomas Menino, has been even more explicit; it looks as if the entire city will probably miss out on the chance to boycott “Chick-fil-A or whatever the hell the name is,” as he put it. The Atlanta-based chain doesn’t have any restaurants in Beantown yet, but it has been considering opening one near the Freedom Trail. That won’t be an easy task. “If they need licenses in the city, it will be very difficult — unless they open up their policies,” Menino told the Boston Herald.

sounds very "intolerant"
Old 07-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #32
Jim in CT

When Michele Bachman put her foot in her mouth last week, many influential republicans condemned what she said. I don't see Democrats telling these mayors to remmeber that we have a Constitution, in which the freedom of speech is explicitly stated...

I hope the mayors stick to their guns, and I hope they get sued for a billion dollars.

That famous liberal tolerance, enlightenment, and concern for free speech. Unfreakinbelievable.

Imagine for a second, if a conservative mayor said Muslims can't open businesses in that city, because of their Islamic beliefs. Liberals would go berserk, and they'd be right to do so.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Mayor Rahm Emanuel “Chick-fil-A values are not Chicago values,” he said.
By that, I guess he means Chick fil-A doesn't believe in political corruption, playing the race card, and gang-banging gun violence?
Old 07-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #34
scottw

keep in mind that the Progressives seek to turn our traditional ideas of Liberty and Justice on their head....

the Liberties guaranteed at our founding are termed "negative" because they are incomplete and the new "positive" Liberties need to reflect the values of the "real world" where absolutes are inadequate or outdated to deal with modern issues.....some win and some lose with government being the referee

the same can be said for Justice...simple Justice is not enough..the world is too complex...we need Social Justice and Economic Justice and Food Justice and others which are doled out by the Philosopher Kings whose Justice is not "Blind" but "Benevolent" and in the business of guanteeing outcomes(or claiming to) rather than protecting opportunty

It's not Justice at all in fact, but it allows them to pick and choose, based on some claim of fairness and equity to either grant or deny favor, based on their view of the world as it should be.....

so for the Progressive generally...this is perfectly acceptable
Old 07-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #35
JackK
Not Jack

I think everyone here is missing the real point of the matter here. The people of Boston are the true victims here- they're missing out on delicious Chick-fil-a Chicken Strips. Noms mejor.

Ps. I rarely post in here. More of an occasional fly on the wall. The AR thread piqued my interest. But if that is the correct definition of bigot, then most of the posters here are bigots. No offense meant. But the terms "liberal" and "conservative" are loosely thrown around and most often used with negative connotations (not to mentioned gross stereotypes), and it irks me.

I'm a democrat, although maybe more conservative than most. But I wholly agree that its hypocritical to disallow a franchise from opening up here in Boston because of their intolerance.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #36
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackK View Post
I think everyone here is missing the real point of the matter here. The people of Boston are the true victims here- they're missing out on delicious Chick-fil-a Chicken Strips. Noms mejor.

Ps. I rarely post in here. More of an occasional fly on the wall. The AR thread piqued my interest. But if that is the correct definition of bigot, then most of the posters here are bigots. No offense meant. But the terms "liberal" and "conservative" are loosely thrown around and most often used with negative connotations (not to mentioned gross stereotypes), and it irks me.

I'm a democrat, although maybe more conservative than most. But I wholly agree that its hypocritical to disallow a franchise from opening up here in Boston because of their intolerance.
Very solid post. Except I'd replace "because of their intolerance" with "because of their religion".

Liberals seem to be highly, highly selective of their opposition to intolerance. Liberals don't complain when blacks show their "intolerance" toward homosexuals, and they sure don't complain about Muslim "intolerance" toward homosexuality, women, or Jews.

But liberals love to point out "intolerance" among white, male Christians. That's hypocrisy at best, anti-Christian bigotry at worst.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #37
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackK View Post
No offense meant. But the terms "liberal" and "conservative" are loosely thrown around and most often used with negative connotations (not to mentioned gross stereotypes), and it irks me.
I'd agree and note that it just doesn't make for a very realistic debate. There are really very few people who are real liberals, and perhaps a dozen or so different types of conservatives some of which are at times quite liberal.

Quote:
I'm not sure it's hypocritical but it's probably not legal and bad policy.

By the way, if you voted for Clinton or Obama you're a pink panty wearing commie, I'll bet you smoke dope, hate the free market (or at least you don't have a clue how it works) and believe hard work never helped anyone.

Seriously, I wouldn't share a fox hole with you

-spence
Old 07-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #38
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Liberals seem to be highly, highly selective of their opposition to intolerance. Liberals don't complain when blacks show their "intolerance" toward homosexuals, and they sure don't complain about Muslim "intolerance" toward homosexuality, women, or Jews.
Hey Jim, did you see this?

After President Obama’s announcement, opposition to gay marriage hits record low - The Washington Post

Quote:
But liberals love to point out "intolerance" among white, male Christians. That's hypocrisy at best, anti-Christian bigotry at worst.
It's interesting to read remarks by black pastors in the US who oppose gay marriage.

Quote:
The Rev. Wallace Charles Smith of the largely black Shiloh Baptist Church in Washington said the church is against same-sex marriage. However, he did not fully condemn the president, noting there were "larger challenges that we have to struggle with." He said, "We may disagree with our president on this one issue. But we will keep him lifted up in prayer. ... Pray for President Barack Obama."
Doesn't sound like a bigot as much as someone who respectfully disagrees.

Who's wearing the "God Hates Fags" shirts?

Who's blamed 9/11 and natural disasters on gays?

-spence

Last edited by spence; 07-29-2012 at 02:45 PM..
Old 07-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Hey Jim, did you see this?

After President Obama’s announcement, opposition to gay marriage hits record low - The Washington Post

It's interesting to read remarks by black pastors in the US who oppose gay marriage.

Doesn't sound like a bigot as much as someone who respectfully disagrees.

Who's wearing the "God Hates Fags" shirts?

Who's blamed 9/11 and natural disasters on gays?

-spence
"Opposition to gay marriage hits record low after Obama's announcement"...

I guess that explains why gay marriage has been approved in so many public referendums? Oh wait...Obama won NC in 2008 by a large margin. Very recently, the citizens of NC, the same folks who voted for Obama, overwhelmingly opposed gay marriage.

Spence, I'm not opposed to gay marriage, so no need to preach to the choir. All I said was, it's interesting that you apply your outrage over homophobia, very selectively...namely, only to whites. You have done nothing, nothing, to explain this (no need, we all know the reason).

"It's interesting to read remarks by black pastors in the US who oppose gay marriage."

Interesting. You said pastor"s", menaing plural. Yet you cite one. One.

So when blacks oppose gay marriage, they "respectfully disagree". But no bigotry. Do I have that right?

"Who's wearing the "God Hates Fags" shirts? Who's blamed 9/11 and natural disasters on gays?"

No one who is truly a Catholic or a Christian. No one who is to be taken seriously. Has the CEO of Chick Fil-A worn such a shirt?

Spence, allow me to re-cap this most inane, insipid of posts...when blacks oppose gay marriage, they are not hatemongers, but rather, they are folks who "respectfully disagree". When white Christians oppose gay marriage, according to you, they can all be grouped into the category of folks who wear "God Hates Fags" tshirts?

Spence, the folloing question destroys your argument. John McCain is vehemently opposed to gay marriage. Spence, you're telling me that John McCain (the guy who adopted an orphaned girl from Bangladesh) is no better, morally, than someone who wears a tshirt that says "God hates fags"?

GOOD LUCK ANSWERING THAT QUESTION. It blows away your idiotic theory, and it traps you in a corner with no escape. None. Of course, that won't stop you from repeating this nonsense tomorrow. Sorry to interrupt a real hum-dinger of a liberal rant with common sense and facts.

Spence, what you did is the ultimate cowardly, intellectually dishonest, cheap shot. You know that you cannot explan rationally why liberals are OK with blacks opposing gay marriage, but liberals can't tolerate whites who oppose gay marriage. So rather than admit the obvious truth that there is hypocrisy at play here, you try to claim that blacks who oppose gay marriage are OK because they still support Obama, or because they don't really hate homosexuals. But whites who oppose gay marriage are all, ALL OF THEM, equivalent to the folks who wear "God hates fags" tshirts.

Spence, if you had any intellectual honesty, and in truth you probably didn't, you just flushed it down the toilet. You're a poster boy for all that is contemptuous of liberalism...you are the closed-minded bigot who knows that he cannot engage those who disagree with you in an honest conversation. Rather than do the civilized thing and admit I have a point, you claim we're all a bunch of loathsome hatemongers.

You are an intellectual liar and coward. For God's sake, this is an issue upon which we agree, and yet you had to play the bigot card as soon as I started asking some fair and probing questions.

Spence, what does it say about your beliefs, that you cannot begin to defend them honestly, when subjected to such innocent scrutiny? All you can do, all you ever do, is eventually accuse those who disagree with you of hate and bigotry. That's the ultimate intellectual surrender from the jerks on your side of the aisle.

When I ask a fair question from now on, why don't you just not respond, rather than make such a horse's ass out of yourself?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 07-29-2012 at 06:51 PM..
Old 07-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #40
FishermanTim

What I see is mayors looking to make a name for themselves in a big election year. Why is Menino speaking for me in this matter? I certainly don't think he should be speaking..PERIOD when he can be so hard to understand.
(No, I'm not stressing is speach inpediment but rather his disregard for common sense!) He is so willing to condemn a busness for what is a MORAL opinion of "what constitutes marriage", yet I don't recall his sticking his nose out condemning a Hooters franchise opening near the Boston Garden? Was his "moral compass" not working then?

When you have political buffoons sticking their noses into subjects that they have no reason to, you get exactly what we have here.

Why are these mayors speaking for the public when they haven't asked the public's opinion?

I may be naive, but when stories like this are big news it just makes me think "Someone is trying to be a publicity whore" and it looks like the political boobs are it!
Old 07-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #41
JohnnyD

Quote:
By that, I guess he means Chick fil-A doesn't believe in political corruption, playing the race card, and gang-banging gun violence?
Alright, now that made me laugh pretty hard.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #42
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Alright, now that made me laugh pretty hard.
Rahm Emanuel, mayor of Chicago, also told the Chick Fil-A folks that another restaurant in Chicago would be "a bad investment".

Under Emanuel's leadership, Chicago has almost 10% unemployment, and a deficit of $654 million. Chick Fil-A has 0% unemployment, and 44 consecutive years of revenue growth. So I'm sure everyone at the Corporate Finance departmrnt at Chick Fil-A is just dying for financial advice from the mayor of Chicago.

And we lose to these people, Johnny. We lose to people like Spence and Rahm Emanuel.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #43
spence

Quote:
We lose to people like Spence and Rahm Emanuel.
That's because we're a$$ kickers

Here's one for ya

-spence
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	552056_503269509702507_2006242783_n.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	52735  
Old 08-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #44
FishermanTim

Check out the spoofs they did on the Conan O'brien show with "Chaz" the intolerant chicken as the new spokesperson for Chick-Fil-A.
(This was after the Jim Henson Co pulled had them remove all their ads with muppets on them.)
Old 08-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #45
spence

Brutal,

-spence
Old 08-05-2012, 04:39 AM   #46
scottw

this is even funnier

This was billed as the greatest protest since Occupy Wall Street. Thousands of scantily clad gay men and lesbians said they’d lock lips in a coast-to-coast red-hot make-out session.

They were to blast anti-gay-marriage comments made by Chick-fil-A CEO Dan Cathy.

"In Jersey, I only found eight kissers — and two weren’t even bi!"

So much for the kiss-fest. It couldn’t even draw New York’s Lesbian-in-Chief Christine Quinn, who wants to boot Chick-fil-A from the city.

But there wasn’t enough gay outrage to draw more than one person who was actually gay.

She was Laura Fram, 34, a gay Republican vegetarian, who said Chick-fil-A was “hateful and hurtful.”

But her main problem was that she had no one to kiss.

“If you find someone for me to kiss, I’d be willing — but only a woman,” Fram said before running to pick up her daughter.

One disappointed by the smooch fiasco was Curtis Sliwa. The radio talker and Guardian Angel has been urging people to come out and eat.

“I was here to realize every male fantasy — watching lesbians kiss,” he said. “Now I get to buy a spicy chicken sandwich and waffle fries.

“I’m disappointed.”

Read more: Peyser: Chick-fil-A kiss-off lays a giant egg - NYPOST.com
Old 08-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #47
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

god squad

chik-fil-a makes good sandwiches and if you play endicott college in summer league soccer they give you coupons for the chik and christian propaganda pamphlets. funny stuff.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #48
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I read the thread and had a few good laughs. I can tell you this - the pres of Chick Fil A made no hurtful, bigoted or ignorant statements. He purely stated his views and/or his company's views. He did not insult or condemn gays.
However - every major religion - Christian, Catholic, Islam, Judaism - codemns homo sexuality. Every single one has their beliefs clearly published on the topic. There is no gray, there beliefs are black and white. So are mayors ready to ban churchs or temples from opening in their cities based on their gay marriage views? Hmm?
Im with Jim here, you dont ban what you disagree with.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 08-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #49
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I originally thought Chick Fil A was happy hour at Alex's........

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman