Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-24-2015, 05:26 PM   #31
Sea Dangles

Jim , the United States Dept of Labor disagrees with you
Just google it and report back
Dol.gov/equalpay

Sorry,I have to make dinner before my wife gets home from work.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Dol.gov/equalpay

Is that site a joke? I see links to the Equal Pay Act, links to articles about "what women want", links congratulating Obama for being committed to the cause (which was really interesting, since you insulted me for citing something related to Obama). Now, I didn't read every link on that site, but I looked at all the titles (I think), and nowhere did I see data which suggests that women are paid less than comparable men. You said you could post many articles on the subject, and yet you haven't.

"I have to make dinner before my wife gets home from work"

Ask her, or your friend (former president of the NCPA) why that organization claims there is no gender pay gap. Maybe they can explain it to you better than I seem to be able.

Very, very curious why you insulted me for citing the Bureau Of Labor Statistics, yet it's OK for you to cite the Labor Dept, can't wait to hear that one.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:19 PM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:
Dol.gov/equalpay

Wait! There was a link to" white house facts one equal pay". I clicked on that, and ll it brought me to was that laughable study that says that full time working women earn 77% of what full-time working men make. Again, any college freshman taking Statistics 101 would find that laughable, beause it ignores the fact that men work more hours and are more likely to choose lucrative careers.

The studies I posted said that when you look at comparable men and women - a fundamental requirement in such an comparison - the pay gap disappears.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:35 PM   #34
Sea Dangles

Keep reading and interpreting
You could work for Barack
Old 02-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #35
Jim in CT

Quote:
Keep reading and interpreting
Maybe you don't know what "interpret" means. I interpreted nothing, I stated the "facts" as displayed in the 77% study that freshman statistics majors everywhere are laughing at...can't you post a link that looks at comparable groups of men and women? I won't ask again, if you don't post one, we'll all know it's because you can't.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:45 PM   #36
Sea Dangles

Obviously comprehension is a foreign language you have not studied.
Enjoy your crow for dinner.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:13 AM   #37
Jim in CT

Quote:
Obviously comprehension is a foreign language you have not studied.
Enjoy your crow for dinner.
I don't know about my reading comprehension, but I am a professional actuary, and therefore an expert at looking at data and figuring out what it means, and in this case, what it doesn't mean.

You claimed somewhere that for every study I posted showing there is no pay gap, you could post many that shows that there is a pay gap. So I asked you several times to post just one. You did not.

I posted numerous studies which show that when you normalize for occupation and hours worked, women make the same as men.

All the evidence on this thread, 100% of it, supports my claim and rejects your claim. You couldn't post a single thing to support your claim. Yet instead of admitting I might have a point, you repeatedly insulted me, and amazingly, you are sticking to your conclusion.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:32 AM   #38
Sea Dangles

Jim,if you can't do a google search and find evidence to support my claim then what good are you?
Did you even try?
Old 02-25-2015, 09:09 AM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim,if you can't do a google search and find evidence to support my claim then what good are you?
Did you even try?
I did do a google search. And when I did that, here's what I found...

(1) Every article that claimed there is a gender pay gap, was simply comparing average salaries for men and women. Not one of these studies normalized for occupation or hours worked. Therefore, no one who ever took Stats 101 would ever conclude that the pay gap is a function of gender. This is precisely the case in th earticle cited in the only link you provided, from the Dept Of Labor.

(2) every study that did normalize for occupation and hours worked (which you need to do, to make it an apples to apples comparison) showed no gender pay gap.

Therefore, the data rejects the notion that we have a gender pay gap. What we have, is a situation where (all other things being equal)...those who work more hours, and those who choose the most lucrative positions, earn more than those who work fewer hours at less lucrative positions.

Shocker. In equally startling news, scientists announced today that water is wet.

We do not have a gender pay gap. We have a cultural effect where women tend to choose to work fewer hours, and women tend to choose less lucrative positions. That is a choice these women make, it is not remotely forced upon them. Again, since you self identify as "pro-choice", this should make you happy. If women (or men) want to maximize net worth, they can choose to work long hours as a hedge fund manager. If a woman (or a man) wants to leave work at 3:00 every day to greet her (his) kids getting off the school bus, there are plenty of opportunities that allow her (him) to do that. Choice all around!

Can you link one single study here, which supports your opinion? If not, I have a key question...what did you base your opinion on? I'd be genuilenly interested to hear it.

I posted several articles which directly address my point. You have posted none.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:14 AM   #40
Jim in CT

Quote:
You really have me figured out.

Obama is the one promoting the lie that there is a gender-based pay gap. I'm pointing out that all the data sheds light to this myth, yet Obama keeps spreading what he knows is a lie, in order to score points with his base.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #41
Sea Dangles

If that is the best you can do then Good Luck with your job.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:40 AM   #42
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Found this little tidbit talking about Her Majesty's record when she was a NY Senator in the context of equal pay. You would think that SHE would have this on her radar and not just let a chief of staff handle..

the median annual salary for a woman working in Clinton’s office was $15,708.38 less than the median salary for a man, according to the analysis of data compiled from official Senate expenditure reports. The analysis compiled the annual salaries paid to staffers for an entire fiscal year of work from the years 2002 to 2008. Salaries of employees who were not part of Clinton’s office for a full fiscal year were not included. Because the Senate fiscal year extends from Oct. 1 to Sept. 30, Clinton’s first year in the Senate, which began on Jan. 3, 2001, was also not included in the analysis.

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia