Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 07-08-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
WantBigStripers

Behr waterproofing?

I want to seal some salty's lure kits and i picked up a gallon of this stuff, is it goin to be ok? I'm going to prime and paint using auto-air paints(pearl, candy, Iridescent) any other tips would be appreciated.
And yes I did a search but no exact matches
WantBigStripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
WantBigStripers

Thanks, I think im going to try the Boiled Linseed Oil/ min spirits and i will be carful with the rags. So the mix ratio is 60/40 BLO/MinSp and i would dip the lures for how long again?
Old 07-08-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
smac

I used the Behr stuff for some stubby needles. I used it b/c it was on hand and needed to be used up anyway. So far I havent had any paint problems. I made them out of and old broom stick, so if the start to come apart its no big deal. I wouldnt go and buy it specificly for custom plugs though. There are better options.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
gregorjim
gregorjim

I think if you read the fine print it says to wait 6-12 months before painting top coat...too much silicone....Jim
gregorjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #5
WantBigStripers

i took it back and used BLO/MinSp...soaked them 15-25 mins and now im waiting for them to dry...i read 72hrs so i'll wait and see...
Old 07-13-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantBigStripers View Post
i took it back and used BLO/MinSp...soaked them 15-25 mins and now im waiting for them to dry...i read 72hrs so i'll wait and see...

What wood did you use. Most cedars only require a soak of a couple minutes.
Depending on humidity you should be OK in 72 hours. However, check closely because of the extra long soak.
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:30 AM   #7
WantBigStripers

i bought a few 2.5 Oz Big Troublemaker Surfsters, 1.5 Oz Midget Swimmers , 2 Oz Wad Needlefishs, 1.5 Oz Slim Needlefishs, "The Deputy" Pencil Poppers, and 2 Oz Topwater Glider all from salty's website. The site says "Salty's Custom Plugs are born from only the finest hand selected stock. Wood is chosen for grain length and direction, and cut to our exact specifications at mills in the USA and Canada. Select slow growth woods from Red & White Birch to Soft & Hard Maple, Specialty Cedars and Pacific Cypress are used to ensure tight grain and maximum density. Each lure represents a different type of wood, and only the finest squares are selected after being vacuum dried to a moisture content of 8% or less." Im not sure which wood was used for what but if i had to guess it looks like birch... salty said 15 mins in another post...but by the time i stuffed them in the can some of them may have soaked for up to 30mins while others were in for only 15-20...but ill wait a week just to be sure.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:35 AM   #8
WantBigStripers

a week to dry that is....I have a new question...i want to fill in the eye spaces on the wad needles and i want to drill new eye holes to fit the eyes snug, will i have to reseal or will the mighty putty(epoxy) be ok without resealing
Old 07-13-2008, 10:06 AM   #9
WantBigStripers

Thanks for all the help! Can't wait til they dry so i can prime-paint-clear-wet sand-buff