Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-25-2017, 07:54 AM   #1
wdmso

Trump boy scout Jamboree speech

Seem he's has done it again .. it had to be all about him

Trump said this
by the way, under the Trump administration, you’ll be saying ‘Merry Christmas’ again when you go shopping. Believe me. Merry Christmas. They’ve been downplaying that little, beautiful phrase. You’re going to be saying ‘Merry Christmas’ again, folks.”

Trump thanks his audience — which again, consisted largely of children — for voting for him in November.

yea he's not Stable ..

read fox news trumps personal Fake news machine they make him sound normal http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...lty-in-dc.html
http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/07/2...scout-jamboree
Old 07-25-2017, 08:29 AM   #2
Raven

merry christmas everyone
Old 07-25-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

yea he's not Stable ..
The same could be said about someone who spends an inordinate amount of time dissecting every phrase and tweet he utters....but to each his own I guess.

I'm pretty sure that after the 1st 30 seconds of his speech the only thing going through those scout's minds were Blah, Blah, Blah....Dump cake for Cracker barrel tonight......Blah, Blah, Blah.........Blah

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-25-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
DZ

It was refreshing to see a sitting President give credit to young people who try and fulfill these promises:
Duty to God and country,
Duty to other people, and
Duty to self

Many are or will become future Patriots.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #5
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
It was refreshing to see a sitting President give credit to young people who try and fulfill these promises:
Duty to God and country,
Duty to other people, and
Duty to self

Many are or will become future Patriots.
How hard did you look to find that?? his entire speech was about himself .. it had nothing to do about them .. he did the same thing at the coast guard academy ... still not sure how smart people dont have an issue with him using the Boy Scouts in such a manner

"Boy, you have a lot of people here. The press will say it's about 200 people. It looks like about 45,000 people. You set a record today. You set a record."

"As the Scout Law says: 'A Scout is trustworthy, loyal' -- we could use some more loyalty, I will tell you that." ( he has no Idea what that means )

"By the way, what do you think the chances are that this incredible, massive crowd, record-setting is going to be shown on television
tonight? One percent or zero?"

"I have to tell you our economy is doing great."

"But do you remember that incredible night with the maps and the Republicans are red and the Democrats are blue, and that map was so red, it was unbelievable, and they didn't know what to say?"
Old 07-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #6
DZ

Pretty easy to find the Boy Scout Oath on their web page.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster

Bi + Ne = SB 2

Old 07-25-2017, 01:46 PM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
I think he meant that the Oath was not central to his speech.

I think it was great he went to recognize the BSA, and just when you think you are ready to give him some bon mots for acting presidential, he goes and gives that overtly political, grandstanding rambling speech for that audience. I don't think the kids learned much hearing about his buddies yacht or how red the map was on the screens on election night....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 07-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #8
DZ

I agree Bryan - very political but then again lots of parents were there, and potential future voters. Scouting is still big in the heartland. Think of it much like the Dems targeting legal immigrants as potential future voters. From the reception I think many enjoyed it. Trump is who he is and he's obviously not your typical politician and doesn't act like one - that seems to bother many and impress many others. He's going to continue to do his thing.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster

Bi + Ne = SB 2

Old 07-25-2017, 02:33 PM   #9
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I think he meant that the Oath was not central to his speech.

I think it was great he went to recognize the BSA, and just when you think you are ready to give him some bon mots for acting presidential, he goes and gives that overtly political, grandstanding rambling speech for that audience. I don't think the kids learned much hearing about his buddies yacht or how red the map was on the screens on election night....
Right, but it was OK for Obama to grandstand on dead bodies in order to push his gun control agenda every time there was a tragedy . Bull#^&#^&#^&#^& double standard as usual
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #10
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Right, but it was OK for Obama to grandstand on dead bodies in order to push his gun control agenda every time there was a tragedy . Bull#^&#^&#^&#^& double standard as usual
Did you see me on here praising Obama's every speech? There are times when they went too far pushing that message, absolutely, although you could argue that is also a fairly pertinent time to discuss that topic.

Two wrongs don't make a right, can't any Trumpers admit that yup Trump gave a stupid speech at the BSA. Obama (yes I know it was videotaped) gave a nice, succinct speech on the positives and legacy of the BSA and wished them a great next 100 years. Trump couldn't even mention loyalty without saying 'we need more of that (wink wink Jeff Sessions)'

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 07-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #11
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Wow, you're right....a whole lot of evil stuff he said there.

"There are many great honors that come with the job of being president of the United States. But looking out at this incredible gathering of mostly young patriots. Mostly young. I'm especially proud to speak to you as the honorary president of the Boy Scouts of America.
(APPLAUSE)
CROWD: USA! USA! USA!
TRUMP: You are the young people of character, integrity who will serve as leaders of our communities and uphold the sacred values of our nation.
I want to thank Boy Scouts President Randall Stephenson, chief Scout executive Michael Surbaugh, Jamboree Chairman Ralph de la Vega and the thousands of volunteers who made this a life-changing experience for all of you. And when they asked me to be here, I said absolutely yes.
(APPLAUSE)

Finally -- and we can't forgot these people -- I especially want to salute the moms and the dads and troop leaders who are here tonight.
(APPLAUSE) Thank you for making scouting possible. Thank you, mom and dad, troop leaders.
When you volunteer for the Boy Scouts you are not only shaping young lives, you are shaping the future of America.
(APPLAUSE)
The United States has no better citizens than its Boy Scouts.
(APPLAUSE)
No better.
(APPLAUSE)
The values, traditions and skills you learn here will serve you throughout your lives. And just as importantly, they will serve your families, your cities, and in the future and in the present will serve your country.
(APPLAUSE)
The Scouts believe in putting America first.

I'll tell you the reason that I love this, and the reason that I really wanted to be here, is because as president, I rely on former Boy Scouts every single day. And so do the American people.
It's amazing how many Boy Scouts we have at the highest level of our great government. Many of my top advisers in the White House were Scouts. Ten members of my cabinet were Scouts. Can you believe that? Ten.
(APPLAUSE)
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is not only a Boy Scout, he is your former national president.
(APPLAUSE)
The vice president of the United States, Mike Pence -- a good guy -- was a Scout, and it meant so much to him.
(APPLAUSE)
Some of you here tonight might even have camped out in this yard when Mike was the governor of Indiana, but the scouting was very, very important.
And by the way, where are our Indiana scouts tonight?

There's a lot of love in this big, beautiful place. A lot of love. And a lot of love for our country. And a lot of love for our country.
Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke is here tonight.
Come here, Ryan.
(APPLAUSE)
Ryan is an Eagle Scout from Big Sky Country in Montana.
(APPLAUSE)
Pretty good.
And by the way, he is doing a fantastic job. He makes sure that we leave our national parks and federal lands better than we found them in the best scouting tradition.
So thank you very much, Ryan.
(APPLAUSE)
Secretary of Energy Rick Perry of Texas, an Eagle Scout from the great state.
(APPLAUSE)
The first time he came to the National Jamboree was in 1964. He was very young then. And Rick told me just a little while ago, it totally changed his life.
So, Rick, thank you very much for being here. And we're doing -- we're doing a lot with energy.

Each of these leaders will tell that you their road to American success -- and you have to understand -- their American success, and they are a great, great story, was paved with the patriotic American values and traditions they learned in the Boy Scouts. And some day, many years from now, when you look back on all of the adventures in your lives you will be able to say the same, I got my start as a Scout, just like these incredibly great people that are doing such a good job for our country. So that's going to happen.
(APPLAUSE)
Boy Scout values are American values. And great Boy Scouts become great, great Americans.
(APPLAUSE)
As the Scout law says, a scout is trustworthy, loyal -- we could use some more loyalty I will tell that you that.
(CROWD CHANTING)
That was very impressive. You've heard that before. But here you learn the rewards of hard work and perseverance, never, ever give up. Never quit. Persevere. Never, ever quit. You learn the satisfaction of building a roaring campfire, reaching a mountain summit or earning a merit badge after mastering a certain skill. There's no better feeling than an achievement that you've earned with your own sweat, tears, resolve, hard work. There's nothing like it. Do you agree with that?

Through scouting you also learned to believe in yourself -- so important -- to have confidence in your ability and to take responsibility for your own life. When you face down new challenges -- and you will have plenty of them -- develop talents you never thought possible, and lead your teammates through daring trials, you discover that you can handle anything. And you learn it by being a Scout. It's great.
(APPLAUSE) You can do anything. You can be anything you want to be. But in order to succeed, you must find out what you love to do. You have to find your passion, no matter what they tell you. If you don't -- I love you too. I don't know. Nice guy.
(APPLAUSE)
Hey, what am I going to do? He sounds like a nice person. He -- he, he, he. I do. I do love you.
(CROWD CHANTING)

You know, in the Boy Scouts you learn right from wrong, correct? You learn to contribute to your communities, to take pride in your nation, and to seek out opportunities to serve. You pledge to help other people at all times.
(APPLAUSE)
In the Scout oath, you pledge on your honor to do your best and to do your duty to God and your country.

But the words "duty," "country" and "God" are beautiful words. In other words, basically what you're doing is you're pledging to be a great American patriot.
(APPLAUSE)
For more than a century that is exactly what our Boy Scouts have been. Last year you gave more than 15 million hours of service to helping people in your communities. Incredible. That's an incredible stat.
(APPLAUSE)
All of you here tonight will contribute more than 100,000 hours of service by the end of this Jamboree -- 100,000.
(APPLAUSE)
When natural disaster strikes, when people face hardship, when the beauty and glory of our outdoor spaces must be restored and taken care of, America turns to the Boy Scouts because we know that the Boy Scouts never ever, ever let us down.
(APPLAUSE)
Just like you know you can count on me, we know we can count on you, because we know the values that you live by.
(APPLAUSE)
Your values are the same values that have always kept America strong, proud and free.

Two days ago I traveled to Norfolk, Virginia to commission an American aircraft carrier into the fleet of the United States Navy.
(APPLAUSE)
It's the newest, largest and most advanced aircraft carrier anywhere in the world, and it's named for an Eagle Scout -- the USS Gerald R. Ford.
(APPLAUSE)
Everywhere it sails that great Scout's name will be feared and revered, because that ship will be a symbol of American power, prestige and strength.
(APPLAUSE)
Our nation honors President Gerald R. Ford today because he lived his life the scouting way. Boy Scouts celebrate American patriots, especially the brave members of our Armed Forces. Thank you very much.
(APPLAUSE)
Thank you. Thank you.
(APPLAUSE)
American hearts are warmed every year when we read about Boy Scouts placing thousands and thousands of flags next to veterans' grave sites all across the country. By honoring our heroes, you help to ensure that their memory never, ever dies. You should take great pride in the example you set for every citizen of our country to follow.

Generations of American Boy Scouts have sworn the same oath and lived according to the same law. You inherit a noble American tradition. And as you embark on your lives, never cease to be proud of you who you are and the principles you hold dear and stand by. Wear your values as your badge of honor. What you've done few have done before you. What you've done is incredible. What you've done is admired by all. So I want to congratulate you, Boy Scouts.
(APPLAUSE)
Let your scouting oath guide your path from this day forward. Remember your duty, honor your history, take care of the people God put into your life, and love and cherish your great country.
(APPLAUSE)
You are very special people. You're special in the lives of America. You're special to me. But if you do what we say, I promise you that you will live scouting's adventure every single day of your life, and you will win, win, win, and help people in doing so.
(APPLAUSE)
Your lives will have meaning, and purpose and joy. You will become leaders, and you will inspire others to achieve the dreams they once thought were totally impossible. Things that you said could never, ever happen are already happening for you. And if you do these things, and if you refuse to give in to doubt or to fear, then you will help to make America great again, you will be proud of yourself, be proud of the uniform you wear, and be proud of the country you love.

(APPLAUSE)
TRUMP: And never, ever forget, America is proud of you.
(APPLAUSE)
This is a very, very special occasion for me. I've known so many Scouts over the years. Winners. I've known so many great people. They've been taught so well, and they love the heritage. But this is very special for me.
And I just want to end by saying, very importantly, God bless you. God bless the Boy Scouts. God Bless the United States of America. Go out, have a great time in life, compete, and go out and show me that there is nobody, nobody like a Boy Scout.
(APPLAUSE)
Thank you very much, everybody. (APPLAUSE)"

Old 07-25-2017, 02:48 PM   #12
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
can't any Trumpers admit that yup Trump gave a stupid speech at the BSA.
Can't anybody admit that maybe he gave a decent speech, but said a few things that would have been better off left out.

By the way....not even close to being a "Trumper"

Was it more stupid to bring up politics at the scout jamboree, or to bring up blacks that were shot at the memorial service of 4 dallas officers that were killed?

Old 07-25-2017, 03:18 PM   #13
Nebe

Did he hand out Trump youth knives ? 😂
Old 07-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #14
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
DS, shouldn't you be the one not talking about double standards? Do you want me to post up more of your typical double standards?

Let's pull up some of those important posts where time was spent discussing Obama's mom pants or whether he really visited 57 statsthe
Old 07-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #15
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Can't anybody admit that maybe he gave a decent speech, but said a few things that would have been better off left out.

Was it more stupid to bring up politics at the scout jamboree, or to bring up blacks that were shot at the memorial service of 4 dallas officers that were killed?
The point is that he can't help himself where if he is giving a good speech he needs to Veer off and start saying stupid stuff. When he reads from the teleprompter you can tell every time when he ad libs whether it's a word or two. He just cannot help himself. Comparing president Trump to any prior president and trying to defend his stupid speeches versus their stupid speeches would be a total waste of time.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #16
wdmso

Quote:

can't any Trumpers admit that yup Trump gave a stupid speech at the BSA. '
Thats never going to happen .. they have amnesia what happen the previous 8 years... some how in 2016 they expect the rules have changed and and feel the POTUS is above reproach and none of his issues are real they are made up by the Deep state and the fake media .

and they believe it all of it . without question

The Trump administration is proposing to completely repeal Obama-era standards governing hydraulic fracturing on federal land.

Trump administration moves closer to undoing overtime pay rule

so much for standing up for and helping the little guy
Old 07-25-2017, 06:38 PM   #17
buckman

Quote:
Did you see me on here praising Obama's every speech? There are times when they went too far pushing that message, absolutely, although you could argue that is also a fairly pertinent time to discuss that topic.

Two wrongs don't make a right, can't any Trumpers admit that yup Trump gave a stupid speech at the BSA. Obama (yes I know it was videotaped) gave a nice, succinct speech on the positives and legacy of the BSA and wished them a great next 100 years. Trump couldn't even mention loyalty without saying 'we need more of that (wink wink Jeff Sessions)'
I'm still trying to get over the initial shock that the left is now concerned about the Boy Scouts 😂
Old 07-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #18
buckman

Quote:
Thats never going to happen .. they have amnesia what happen the previous 8 years... some how in 2016 they expect the rules have changed and and feel the POTUS is above reproach and none of his issues are real they are made up by the Deep state and the fake media .

The Trump administration is proposing to completely repeal Obama-era standards governing hydraulic fracturing on federal land.

Trump administration moves closer to undoing overtime pay rule

so much for standing up for and helping the little guy
Do you follow "Occupy Democrats " on FB by chance ?
Old 07-26-2017, 06:15 AM   #19
scottw

Quote:

(APPLAUSE)
TRUMP: And never, ever forget, America is proud of you.
(APPLAUSE)
This is a very, very special occasion for me. I've known so many Scouts over the years. Winners. I've known so many great people. They've been taught so well, and they love the heritage. But this is very special for me.
And I just want to end by saying, very importantly, God bless you. God bless the Boy Scouts. God Bless the United States of America. Go out, have a great time in life, compete, and go out and show me that there is nobody, nobody like a Boy Scout.
(APPLAUSE)
Thank you very much, everybody. (APPLAUSE)"

this is probably what makes the left so mad how dare he??? Separation of Church and State!!

...... wait...

July 24, 2017

Rep. Gutierrez: When Democrats Take Majority We're Going To "Eliminate" Trump

"Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-IL) ripped President Trump for his immigration policy in a sermon at Chicago's Lincoln United Methodist Church on Saturday. The Democratic Congressman said Trump is the "major criminal" and he will "eliminate" him as president when the Democrats win a majority in the House."

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...ate_trump.html

Last edited by scottw; 07-26-2017 at 06:28 AM..
Old 07-26-2017, 06:16 AM   #20
scottw

Quote:
I can still recite it on cue most of 40 years later...probably the result of successful brain washing...
Old 07-26-2017, 06:29 AM   #21
scottw

Quote:

.. they have amnesia what happen the previous 8 years... some how in 2016 they expect the rules have changed and and feel the POTUS is above reproach and none of his issues are real they are made up by the Deep state and the fake media .

this is a great example of "fake news"
Old 07-26-2017, 06:30 AM   #22
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
this is probably what makes the left so mad how dare he??? Separation of Church and State!!

Well, that will throw a monkey wrench into that whole 'A Scout is Reverent" thing

Old 07-26-2017, 06:40 AM   #23
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
The point is that he can't help himself where if he is giving a good speech he needs to Veer off and start saying stupid stuff. When he reads from the teleprompter you can tell every time when he ad libs whether it's a word or two. He just cannot help himself. Comparing president Trump to any prior president and trying to defend his stupid speeches versus their stupid speeches would be a total waste of time.
The point is that this is such a Non-story its ridiculous.

BSA spends it entire time trying to turn boys into fine young men and productive citizens, to be self reliant, and to make sound decisions based on an appreciation of a core set of values....

But Trump talks about politics in front of them and all of a sudden "They're only boys"

well, the "Boys" handled it in a very grownup fashion....which is more than I can say for a lot of other people losing their $hit over it this week.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:46 AM   #24
scottw

Quote:
Well, that will throw a monkey wrench into that whole 'A Scout is Reverent" thing
you notice they snuck that reverent thing in at the end

Last edited by scottw; 07-26-2017 at 07:23 AM..
Old 07-26-2017, 06:52 AM   #25
PaulS

Quote:
The point is that this is such a Non-story its ridiculous.After 8 years of hearing how Obama visited 57 states, pictures of him in mom jeans and outrage over how he would greet a foreign leader (and ever other petty, whiney thing the right could think of) it seems like commenting on our Pres. Trump's constant lying and continued crying about the loser in the last elections is off limits

BSA spends it entire time trying to turn boys into fine young men, productive citizens, self reliant, and to make sound decisions based on an appreciation of a core set of values....

But Trump talks about politics in front of them and all of a sudden "They're only boys" The point is he can't separate anything from politics. He constantly whines about Obama and Clinton.

well, the "Boys" handled it in a very grownup fashion....which is more than I can say for a lot of other people losing their $hit over it this week.
I can't recall you saying anyone was losing there $#^&#^&#^&#^& when the right here was posting petty, whiney, childish things about Pres. Obama (and I'm not talking about legitimate political complaints). - Do a search how much time was spent talking about how much golf he played or vac. he took.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:26 AM   #26
scottw

I'd make fun of Trump if he wore Mom jeans or said he visited 57 states

Obama and Clinton constantly blamed their predecessors for everything...it's become custom
Old 07-26-2017, 07:56 AM   #27
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I can't recall you saying anyone was losing there $#^&#^&#^&#^& when the right here was posting petty, whiney, childish things about Pres. Obama (and I'm not talking about legitimate political complaints).
I betcha I did....I'm an equal opportunity a$$hole

Quote:
The point is he can't separate anything from politics. He constantly whines about Obama and Clinton.
newsflash...he's a politician....that's all any of them talk about. And you do remember a certain president that spent years whining about what Bush left him, right.

Quote:
After 8 years of hearing how Obama visited 57 states, pictures of him in mom jeans and outrage over how he would greet a foreign leader (and ever other petty, whiney thing the right could think of) it seems like commenting on our Pres. Trump's constant lying and continued crying about the loser in the last elections is off limits
hmmmm....

Quote:
Two wrongs don't make a right'
I agree

Old 07-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #28
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Think of it much like the Dems targeting legal immigrants as potential future voters.
You spelled "undocumented" wrong again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Did he hand out Trump youth knives ? ��
When I see stupid stuff like this I am reminded: A - I am glad I disaffiliate after each election, B: How Trump or some non-Dem will win in 2020.

Yesterday I saw someone yammering away how it was just like a Hitler Youth Rally. Dumb as Eff.

Quote:
Thats never going to happen .. they have amnesia what happen the previous 8 years...
You weren't around here for the Bush years (yes I know you were deployed during some of it). Bu#^&#^&#^&#^&ler (Eben)

Quote:
BSA spends it entire time trying to turn boys into fine young men and productive citizens, to be self reliant, and to make sound decisions based on an appreciation of a core set of values....

But Trump talks about politics in front of them and all of a sudden "They're only boys"

Yeh, an organization that turns kids into better kids. Some people see good leaders and citizens in the making. Others see Nazis, Hitler Youth, and molding killers.

I know a few kids, ahem, young men and future leaders, down there now. Some never would have voted for Trump if of age, some might have. But they will all treat their guests appropriately, regardless if the guest was Trump or Obama.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 07-26-2017, 09:10 AM   #29
scottw

Quote:

Quote:

Two wrongs don't make a right'

I agree

:
yeah....but three?
Old 07-31-2017, 08:45 AM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:

GREAT posts TDF.

Much of Trump's speech was awesome, great stuff directed at the scouts. I heard him telling them to find their passion, and never stop pursuing it. Those were great words.

It would be nice if he could leave the political jabs, and self-congratulations, out of a speech to kids. But that's not who he is.

But to suggest that one needs to "look hard" to find anything positive, appropriate, or non-political in that speech, is absurd.

Some of these Trump haters are going to have a long, long four years.

I think he is morally disgusting. Some of hi speech reflected that. Some of hi speech, as TDF posted, was great. Some of you can't acknowledege that. Which makes you irrational.