Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 02-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Mugz

Painting a wrought iron table

Scored a long wrought iron patio table with 6 chairs. Some mild rust in some spots.....I can treat these spots no problem.
I have been thinking about buying a cheapy autobody spray gun at Harbor Freight to do this job rather than use spray cans (it would probably take about 10 cans if I took that route!!!). I'm familiar with the auto body paint guns.
I think I can purchase some 1 quart cans of Rustoleum for the job and thin it with acetone if needed.
It would be done in my garage (with everything covered with plastic and the door closed) and while wearing a respirator.
Any other suggestions on how to do this job? Also, I am going to wait till the temperatures come up a bit. I would have to take my time and do a piece or two at a time....especially to cover all the nooks and crannies and all sides. I'm dreading doing it....but it needs to be done before we start using the deck again. I just don't want to waste my time if anyone else can suggest a better way.
Mugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

It's just as easy to brush it. Heck of a lot less mess also. This stuff is great

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Raven

where they sell that at ?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

If you can't find it local amazon has it or Just walk into any auto body supply house and buy it.
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Mugz

It says "Spray" on the can....brushing is NOT an option. I will take a picture and you'll see what I mean.
I will look for that paint....might do a chair this weekend as a test piece.
By the way, it's really not a wrought iron table....a steel mesh table.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Check out p o r 15, it works great on metal. I used on my caddy frame and under the fenders.
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

POR-15® is a high-tech, high performance rust-preventive coating designed for application directly on rusted or seasoned metal surfaces. It dries to an incredible rock-hard, non-porous finish that won't chip, crack, or peel, and it prevents rust from recurring by protecting metal from further exposure to moisture.

Use it to coat rusty frames, floor pans, farm equipment, marine equipment, or even a heavily corroded battery tray.

POR-15® is sensitive to UV light (sun) and must be top coated for prolonged exposure to sunlight.
Top coating is not required for areas not exposed to sunlight.
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugz View Post
It says "Spray" on the can....brushing is NOT an option. I will take a picture and you'll see what I mean.
I will look for that paint....might do a chair this weekend as a test piece.
By the way, it's really not a wrought iron table....a steel mesh table.

Use the Sem rust shield Mike suggested.
You can get it in gal or quarts.
The stuff dries hard as a rock.
Don't really need to go crazy sand blasting or sanding/grinding.
Wire wheel, scrape, sand and wash before applying.
You can also get Rustoleum at home depot in qts or gal.
They have a bunch of colors and primers. Spraying is a bit tougher as it's a bit thick to spray through a spray gun even with a 1.7 - 2.0 tip / cap

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Mugz

UPDATE

Finally got around to doing this job I have been procrastinating..
I sprayed the table with a touch-up spray gun that held about 1 cup of thinned paint....worked but was a PIA. Still better than spray cans.
Spent $17 on a cheap autobody spray gun at HF that can hold a quart of paint...WOW. I was able to bang out 4 chairs in quick time. Yes, there was a lot of overspray but after thinning the paint I was able to stretch it considerably. Plus, I was able to get into the nooks and crannies that would have been a pain to do with a brush...F-that.
NO DRIPS either.....and I also realized that this job would have taken about 50 spray bomb cans. I bought 2 quarts of paint at $10 each and I still have a lot left. I have 2 more chairs to do. The completed chairs and table look brand new....and I only put on 1 coat of paint. If they need another coat in a year or two, no problem...
At least now I don't have to worry about broken glass table tops and ripped fabric patio chairs....
Old 06-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
spence

How much paint did you get on your neighbor's house and cars?

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

I'd try a short nap roller and a whizz roller if you have tight spaces. Keep the roller pretty dry.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
Mugz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
How much paint did you get on your neighbor's house and cars?

-spence

HA...NONE. Did it with the garage closed tight. Used respirator.....
Made that mistake years ago when I decided to use a spray can to paint something in the back yard...the overspray went completely over the house and rested on my truck in the front of the house!!! Learned the hard way.

Pete...too many nooks and crannies to even try a roller. I'll post a picture when I finish the final 2 chairs. I'm sure someone has a table an chairs like this, that have thought about painting it. Spray is the Way. You'll see what I mean...