Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 04-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #1
DZ

RI Commercial Bass Regs

Just received an email about 2018 RI regs for striped bass.

The following statement has me confused:

((No licensed dealer may purchase and/or offer for sale any striped bass where the right pectoral fin has been removed (RIMF Regulations, Part 7 – Dealer Regulations)

If everyone who catches/keeps a legal bass is required to clip the right pectoral fin immediately how does the dealer get any bass without the fin already clipped?

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:56 AM   #2
JFigliuolo

Rec's have to clip the fin. Commercials do NOT clip the fin. It's a hlaf assed attempt at stopping rec's from selling bass. Like anyone is EVER checked.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
DZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFigliuolo View Post
Rec's have to clip the fin. Commercials do NOT clip the fin. It's a hlaf assed attempt at stopping rec's from selling bass. Like anyone is EVER checked.
Got ya - I didn't realize they (Comms) didn't need to clip.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:28 PM   #4
ivanputski
Pete K.

Im curious what percentage of licensed salt water anglers are aware of this regulation... I've heard it mentioned many times, but prior to reading this still
was cloudy on WHO does what? recs? comm? left fin? right fin? no fin?

My guess is compliance percentage is quite low for various reasons... Some may be trying to illegally sell later, but My guess is many just dont know what the requirements are (even though they SHOULD, myself included)
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:49 PM   #5
JFigliuolo

IF it was enforced... which it is not. It would stop people from catching fish out at block within there rec limit, then selling them on the MA market. You can make all the rules you want, but if you don't enforce them what's the F'ng point?

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
Old 04-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #6
Clammer

IMO .&& I,m not 100% sure , But the reason behind this By DEM is so the commercials can fish on Friday & Saturday but if they keep a bass of 34" the must clip it ......... the reasoning ....... they take a chance of having market size fish on the two off days / if its clipped its Ok .if not a nickel/dime offense .
I, d have to look up the regulations , but I ,m not sure that rec have to clip on Sunday Thrusday .
What about the so-called sport fisherman that are catching market size bass & clipping the pictoral fin & then releasing it . their reasoning that if caught again /no matter when it can,t be sold ...............But is if OK to cut the pictoral fin off any fish & think its going to swim in that condition .
there is good & bad in all ......But it seems most post are focused on the negative actions of the commercials .
I,m not even going to start on the illegal activity of the so-called REC Fisherman ><><
If I wrote a book on both . the rec would be ten times larger than the commercial.that could be that there are 998% more rec .s .......................HONESTLY >> Who do you really thinK is hurting the fisheries the most ><><

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:45 PM   #7
JFigliuolo

I was kinda saying guys that fish rec in ri and sell the fish in ma are dbags. I've seen so much abuse in so many fisheries by recs it's sick. People suck.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-26-2018, 08:29 PM   #8
Clammer

Joey . when ya going in ???????? I need your schedule to I can set mine up to yours with that little issue on shellfish up the ramp >><> won,t be the same without PI .OTW

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 04-27-2018, 05:59 AM   #9
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
Joey . when ya going in ???????? I need your schedule to I can set mine up to yours with that little issue on shellfish up the ramp >><> won,t be the same without PI .OTW
Should be next weekend. Have some engine issues, pulled injectors to have them cleaned (Three were running lean, 2 were flooding), pulled and cleaned O2 sensor, replaced HP fuel pump filters.

You know... all that maintenance stuff you stay on top of

Hoping when i put the injectors back in everything is back to normal.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:38 AM   #10
Clammer

just leave it in the yard & use mine

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 04-27-2018, 08:45 AM   #11
MakoMike

Quote:
IMO .&& I,m not 100% sure , But the reason behind this By DEM is so the commercials can fish on Friday & Saturday but if they keep a bass of 34" the must clip it ......... the reasoning ....... they take a chance of having market size fish on the two off days / if its clipped its Ok .if not a nickel/dime offense .
I, d have to look up the regulations , but I ,m not sure that rec have to clip on Sunday Thrusday .
What about the so-called sport fisherman that are catching market size bass & clipping the pictoral fin & then releasing it . their reasoning that if caught again /no matter when it can,t be sold ...............But is if OK to cut the pictoral fin off any fish & think its going to swim in that condition .
there is good & bad in all ......But it seems most post are focused on the negative actions of the commercials .
I,m not even going to start on the illegal activity of the so-called REC Fisherman ><><
If I wrote a book on both . the rec would be ten times larger than the commercial.that could be that there are 998% more rec .s .......................HONESTLY >> Who do you really thinK is hurting the fisheries the most ><><
Recs have to clip keepers 24/7/365

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:15 PM   #12
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Just for this year Mike. I have a TON going on with the job at the golf course, the house ,family, a couple of advisory boards I have signed on to. I just don't have the time, nor the inclination, to fish right now.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:48 PM   #13
Clammer

I hear ya Paul ......I,m far from on fire for it either . I had more fun last Sunday just watching Dennis in Freshwater ..
your always welcome

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 04-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #14
Guppy
User

MA, any com guy can't have a com keeper onboard without cutting pectoral off unless it's a com day, only sell with fin on , on com days

This is an attempt to stop stock pilling....
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:45 PM   #15
Clammer

that,s the same thing I said Gup

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 04-28-2018, 05:13 AM   #16
Guppy
User

Quote:
that,s the same thing I said Gup
Ya but you didn't have as much to drink as I did, so there
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:36 AM   #17
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
I hear ya Paul ......I,m far from on fire for it either . I had more fun last Sunday just watching Dennis in Freshwater ..
your always welcome
I'll fish the comm season with you when I'm not working.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:59 PM   #18
ivanputski
Pete K.

Geez I feel like I'm in algebra class again...

Im more confused than now than before people explained it! hahaha. I'll just continue to release them.
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote