Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-22-2017, 06:59 PM   #121
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post

funny when someone writes "illegal"..then completely ignores the meaning of the word
I wasn't ignoring the meaning of the word. It is categorically irrelevant. Whether they came here legally or not, it is scapegoating.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:07 PM   #122
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
I wasn't ignoring the meaning of the word. It is categorically irrelevant. Whether they came here legally or not, it is scapegoating.
of course it's relevant, if not for the fact that they are here "illegally" there would be no "scapegoating" as you say, no conversation....it's the ONLY reason you or Trump mention them...if they were here "legally"...or not here at all...there would be no issue, no scapegoating, no conversation...you completely ignore the meaning

if pointing out illegality is "scapegoating"
what is ignoring "illegality"?...virtuous?
Old 11-22-2017, 10:37 PM   #123
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

He pointed out that Roy Moore "totally denies" sexual misconduct with a string of teenage girls, including a 14-year-old,

Putin also totally denies what he did .. see a trend?
(1) Duke. Lacrosse.

(2) Tawana. Brawley.

I'm not saying I believe Moore is innocent, I'd like to see him step down, and if there's evidence of a crime, let's have a trial.

But you cannot claim that everyone who gets accused of these things, is guilty. In some cases (rare, not rare enough) it's total fabrication, but the media doesn't care about the presumption of innocence when there's a sordid story.

I have no idea what the answer is here.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:41 PM   #124
Jim in CT

Quote:
out of work coal miners who voted for Trump because they believe he will bring back coal, but pray he doesn't end Obama Care, which is the primary reason they can afford treatment for black lung. Also, the less educated poorer whites in the red States buy into the Trump mantra of creating scape goats of illegal immigrants, etc.
So before 2008, where were all these dead coal miners you speak of? and now, with the ACA, they can get the treatment they were denied for 100 years until Obama the messiah saved them?

I keep hearing about how many millions of people will die if the ACA is repealed. Why wasn't I stepping over dead bodies when I worked in Hartford, before Obama got elected? These alarmists make it sound like the whole country was one big death camp until the ACA was signed. I'm pretty sure it wasn't.

"Also, the less educated poorer whites in the red States buy into the Trump mantra of creating scape goats of illegal immigrants"

He won because of PA, WI, NC, OH...not because of the deep south.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:42 PM   #125
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

I keep hearing about how many millions of people will die if the ACA is repealed. Why wasn't I stepping over dead bodies when I worked in Hartford, before Obama got elected?
you were, don't you remember the mantra...people were dying and dead all over the parking lots of hospitals across the country because the system had failed....

I was listening to 10 news conference the other morning and Rappley was interviewing the guy that is going to challenge Whitehouse for his seat...the individual mandate came up and the guest said he was not in favor of federal government mandating such things...Rappley's response was...

"but the cost of health care will go up if young healthy people are not forced to buy coverage"
Old 11-23-2017, 09:33 AM   #126
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
No - whether they came here legally or not is the law. I would be up for increasing LEGAL immigration if they could stop the ILLEGAL immigration.

It is ironic people fight for "Justice" yet willfully undermine the cornerstone of the US legal system: The CITIZEN. The people that say that "Privilege" must be fought against because it is unfair are so willing to sink arguably the greatest privilege the world has known: United States Citizenship

Quote:
I'm not saying I believe Moore is innocent, I'd like to see him step down, and if there's evidence of a crime, let's have a trial.

But you cannot claim that everyone who gets accused of these things, is guilty. In some cases (rare, not rare enough) it's total fabrication, but the media doesn't care about the presumption of innocence when there's a sordid story.

I have no idea what the answer is here.
^^^^^ This. I am pretty confident that Moore is a SlimeyMallCruisingBastard and Franken is a hypocrite but while everyone justifiably grab's their Torches and PithForks, innoncent people will get smeared as targets of opportunity - it is a slippery slope.

Quote:

"but the cost of health care will go up if young healthy people are not forced to buy coverage"

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-28-2017, 05:42 PM   #127
spence

Haven't some here lauded the Veritas Project? Not naming names, like Detbuch

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/28/medi...ing/index.html
Old 11-28-2017, 09:27 PM   #128
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Yup. Still do. They tried to find something here and there was nothing to find. Sometimes there is. Way it goes.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:00 AM   #129
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Yup. Still do. They tried to find something here and there was nothing to find. Sometimes there is. Way it goes.
by any means necessary defense .. know scammers and distributors of truly Fake news .. but why am i not not surprised you would support them .. to the end
Old 11-29-2017, 07:23 AM   #130
basswipe

Add Matt Lauer to the list!
Old 11-29-2017, 08:14 AM   #131
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I'm sure there are a lot of powerful abusive men having problems sleeping at night, wondering if tomorrow is their turn.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:17 AM   #132
PaulS

Quote:

O'Keefe a disciple of Breitbart. They should stick to touting the child molesting ring in Comet Pizza. What a bunch of clowns
Old 11-29-2017, 10:44 AM   #133
detbuch

Quote:
by any means necessary defense .. know scammers and distributors of truly Fake news .. but why am i not not surprised you would support them .. to the end
What fake news?
Old 12-04-2017, 09:26 AM   #134
wdmso

Trump most current tweet

Democrats refusal to give even one vote for massive Tax Cuts is why we need Republican Roy Moore to win in Alabama. We need his vote on stopping crime, illegal immigration, Border Wall, Military, Pro Life, V.A., Judges 2nd Amendment and more. No to Jones, a Pelosi/Schumer Puppet!

but we'll look the other way over sexual misconduct for our own ... I love those Christian values
Old 12-04-2017, 11:08 AM   #135
Jim in CT

Quote:
Trump most current tweet

Democrats refusal to give even one vote for massive Tax Cuts is why we need Republican Roy Moore to win in Alabama. We need his vote on stopping crime, illegal immigration, Border Wall, Military, Pro Life, V.A., Judges 2nd Amendment and more. No to Jones, a Pelosi/Schumer Puppet!

but we'll look the other way over sexual misconduct for our own ... I love those Christian values
NOBODY thinks that Trump represents Christian values. Is a tiny speck of honesty too much? Although I doubt Trump will trample the rights of Christians like Obama did, forcing Catholic nuns to petition the Supreme Court that yes, even they have constitutional rights. Obama didn't think so. The OBAMA DOJ sued that shipping companies could not force Muslim drivers to ship liquor if it violated their religious beliefs. Yet Obama had no issue with forcing Christians to abandon their religious beliefs at work. No double standard there, no sir-ree.

As for Roy Moore...I don't know. It makes my skin absolutely crawl. But like everyone else, I thought the Duke lacrosse players were guilty too. I hope Moore wins, the Senate refuses to seat him, and they put another conservative (a principled one) in his place.

If these tax cuts appear to be less hostile to the middle class than the Dems are saying, the Dems will get creamed for opposing them. If they are hostile to the middle class, the GOP will get creamed for adopting them.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #136
detbuch

Quote:
Trump most current tweet

You don't believe in the separation of church and state?
Old 12-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #137
scottw

it's too bad Moore isn't a democrat...he'd fit right in
Old 12-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #138
Jim in CT

Quote:
it's too bad Moore isn't a democrat...he'd fit right in
More so if he drowned his victims...
Old 12-06-2017, 08:38 AM   #139
PaulS

Steve Bannon came to Alabama to stump for Roy Moore, but he spent more time attacking national Republicans — including Mitt Romney and his family — than Alabama Democrat Doug Jones a week out from the state's Senate election.

Romney and his five sons topped the former Donald Trump adviser's hit list, which also included Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Bannon’s favorite punching bag, even though the Kentucky Republican just handed Trump his biggest legislative victory yet.

In a particularly nasty and personal attack, the Breitbart News chairman went after Romney's children and Mormon faith, slamming the former GOP presidential nominee for not serving in the Vietnam War and his sons for not putting on the uniform.

"You hid behind your religion. You went to France to be a missionary while men were dying in Vietnam. Do not talk about honor and integrity," Bannon said. (my edit - while Bannon supports a President who didn't go to Vietnam bc of "bone spurs" and who couldn't even remember what foot they were located on.)

Bannon was infuriated by Romney's tweet on Monday in which he wrote that Moore would be a "stain" on the GOP and the country.

Roy Moore in the US Senate would be a stain on the GOP and on the nation. Leigh Corfman and other victims are courageous heroes. No vote, no majority is worth losing our honor, our integrity.
— Mitt Romney (@MittRomney) December 4, 2017

Bannon is trying to keep Romney, one of the GOP's most prominent Trump critics, from launching a bid for a Utah Senate seat. And Bannon's vitriol even extended to Romney's sons.

"You ran for commander in chief and had five sons — not one day of service in Afghanistan or Iraq. We have 7,000 dead and 52,000 casualties, and where were the Romneys during those wars?" Bannon asked. "Judge Roy Moore has more honor and integrity in his pinky finger than your entire family."

The attacks elicited cheers from a crowd of several hundred Moore supporters, who packed into a barn here and waved pro-Bannon and Breitbart News signs.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #140
PaulS

Tweet Tweet - I didn't realize Moore was a master politician. Prob. just locked up the seat. MAGA

At a campaign event earlier this year, an audience member asked Moore for his opinion on when the last time America was "great." Moore responded: "I think it was great at the time when families were united—even though we had slavery—they cared for one another…. Our families were strong, our country had a direction."
Old 12-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #141
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

At a campaign event earlier this year, an audience member asked Moore for his opinion on when the last time America was "great." Moore responded: "I think it was great at the time when families were united—even though we had slavery—they cared for one another…. Our families were strong, our country had a direction."
he's a piece of work...how bad is the democrat he's running against that they can't defeat this knucklehead...Spence would blame the republicans, if the roles were reversed, for not running a viable candidate against him
Old 12-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #142
spence

Quote:
he's a piece of work...how bad is the democrat he's running against that they can't defeat this knucklehead...Spence would blame the republicans, if the roles were reversed, for not running a viable candidate against him
Have you ever been to Alabama?
Old 12-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #143
zimmy

Quote:
The OBAMA DOJ sued that shipping companies could not force Muslim drivers to ship liquor if it violated their religious beliefs. Yet Obama had no issue with forcing Christians to abandon their religious beliefs at work. No double standard there, no sir-ree.
You know the way the law was originally written, the nuns or anyother non profit could apply for exemption? You are really distorting reality because of your bias.

How do you feel about polygamy laws? Is ok for the government to restrict the first amendment rights of LDS members or any other religion that has practiced polygamy?

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #144
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Tweet Tweet - I didn't realize Moore was a master politician. Prob. just locked up the seat. MAGA

I have been struggling with Moore, but for me, the creepy yearbook inscription he gave a 17 year-old girl, made me think he was guilty.

Yesterday, that girl (now a woman) admitted that she wrote some of that herself, in her own yearbook.

It's impossible to know what to believe, sometimes.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #145
Jim in CT

Quote:
You know the way the law was originally written, the nuns or anyother non profit could apply for exemption? You are really distorting reality because of your bias.

How do you feel about polygamy laws? Is ok for the government to restrict the first amendment rights of LDS members or any other religion that has practiced polygamy?
"You know the way the law was originally written, the nuns or anyother non profit could apply for exemption?"

Then why did they sue all the way to the Supreme Court? Filing for an exemption would be a whole lot easier and cheaper.

"You are really distorting reality because of your bias"

No I'm not. Now that you're back, instead of saying there are "dozens" of "nuanced" cases that support your claim that the baker doesn't have this right...can you post, or cite, just one?

As for polygamy, that's a very interesting question. I don't have an easy answer. We can all agree that religious freedom doesn't extend to human sacrifice...where do we draw the line? I don't know. But asking a gay couple to go to another bakery certainly isn't a huge burden.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #146
PaulS

Quote:
I have been struggling with Moore, but for me, the creepy yearbook inscription he gave a 17 year-old girl, made me think he was guilty.

Yesterday, that girl (now a woman) admitted that she wrote some of that herself, in her own yearbook.

It's impossible to know what to believe, sometimes.
They haven't said what she wrote - I think it was just the last part.

I tend to believe all the woman as they get vilified when they come out and very few get $.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #147
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I'd have to side with Franken's parting comments, that much of what he believes he might have been guilty of doing, pales in comparison to Moore and very likely Trump based on his own comments. I'll give the guy credit, he doesn't think any of what he knows he did isn't cause to resign, he's bowing out to enable someone else from his state to step up to serve.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #148
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I'd have to side with Franken's parting comments, that much of what he believes he might have been guilty of doing, pales in comparison to Moore and very likely Trump based on his own comments. I'll give the guy credit, he doesn't think any of what he knows he did isn't cause to resign, he's bowing out to enable someone else from his state to step up to serve.
Except we had some photo evidence of Franken's wrongdoing, there is zero evidence (I think) that Moore did anything except victim claims.

Not to discount victim claims. But if that's all it takes, then what's to stop both parties from paying people to make these claims against talented politicians in the other party?

EVERYBODY though the Duke lacrosse players were guilty.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #149
PaulS

Just as everybody thought the Central Park five were guilty. There's far too many people where there was a rush to judgment and they've ended up in jail even though they were innocent.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:33 AM   #150
scottw

Quote:
Have you ever been to Alabama?
have you ever been to Rhode Island?