Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-01-2020, 08:21 AM   #1
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Happy Sunday

The future looks great 👍
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A63E11E8-D38C-4F52-95A2-5E015F0CCCCD.jpeg
Views:	436
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	66919  

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 03-01-2020, 09:09 AM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

In 2009 over 22 million Americans were infected with the swine flu, and 4,000 died. The stock market went up 18% that year.

So stop saying the stock market is crashing because of Coronavirus. It’s crashing because Americans don’t trust Donald Trump.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-01-2020, 09:20 AM   #3
Sea Dangles

Delusional🙄
Old 03-01-2020, 09:22 AM   #4
spence

Who’s got TDS again? Nice job RR you’re two for two.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ESB-MtLX...pg&name=medium
Old 03-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
In 2009 over 22 million Americans were infected with the swine flu, and 4,000 died. The stock market went up 18% that year.

So stop saying the stock market is crashing because of Coronavirus. It’s crashing because Americans don’t trust Donald Trump.
you are completely bonkers. Trump has been potus for three years, but the market just realized this week that they don’t trust him, coincidentally at the same
time as the outbreak? you really, seriously believe that?

you are literally deranged.

2020 isn’t over yet. do you k ow how the year will end up?

if we don’t trust the president, whyis the market up so much since january 2017?

lord almighty...

Last edited by Jim in CT; 03-01-2020 at 10:07 AM..
Old 03-01-2020, 10:02 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Who’s got TDS again? Nice job RR you’re two for two.
you made fun of me for not understanding finance, so how come you won’t answer my question about whether or not dips are good for people who put money into the market every two
weeks? it’s almost as if there’s a reason why you don’t want to respond....
Old 03-01-2020, 10:05 AM   #8
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
you made fun of me for not understanding finance, so how come you won’t answer my question about whether or not dips are good for people who put money into the market every two
weeks? it’s almost as if there’s a reason why you don’t want to respond....
There is a reason. I’m on my iPad and it’s hard to type.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:39 AM   #9
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
God help you if you start mis-spelling words on it, the spelling police take the most serious of things very serious; please put on your readers and type carefully.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:45 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
on your ipod, frantically searching for a response that makes a tiny speck of sense. sadly for you, there isn’t one. because dips are awesome for everyone who isn’t an extreme short-term investor. that’s elementary school arithmetic.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:52 AM   #11
spence

Quote:
on your ipod, frantically searching for a response that makes a tiny speck of sense. sadly for you, there isn’t one. because dips are awesome for everyone who isn’t an extreme short-term investor. that’s elementary school arithmetic.
Actually I’m shopping for fossils.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:05 AM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
Actually I’m shopping for fossils.
well you made fun of what i said, so presumably that was based on something. you had days to post support for why i’m wrong. days. too cowardly.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #13
spence

Quote:
well you made fun of what i said, so presumably that was based on something. you had days to post support for why i’m wrong. days. too cowardly.
You’re just really low on the priority list Jim.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:28 PM   #14
Jim in CT

you’re quick to lob insults, just back it up...
Old 03-01-2020, 02:00 PM   #15
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post

God help you if you start mis-spelling words

just brilliant
Old 03-02-2020, 07:20 AM   #16
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
just brilliant
It is so easy to get you or SD to bite and show the juvenile petty nature of your character, it’s not even much of a challenge any longer. I just need to right a post to get you to drop your coloring book and jump in.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:09 AM   #17
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
It is so easy to get you or SD to bite and show the juvenile petty nature of your character, it’s not even much of a challenge any longer. I just need to right a post to get you to drop your coloring book and jump in.
I get it.
The old razzle dazzle.
Good job!

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-02-2020, 09:53 AM   #18
Pete F.
Canceled

‘I expect global equities to tank by 30% to 40% this year. My advice is: Put your money into cash and safe government bonds.’
That’s economist Nouriel Roubini sharing his gloomy outlook on the market in an interview with Germany’s Der Spiegel last week.

“You have to hedge your money against a crash,” Roubini continued, adding that his motto is “Better safe than sorry!”

His bearish take — which lives up to his “Dr. Doom” nickname — comes amid a reeling market that saw a February peak-to-trough drop in the S&P SPX, +0.74% of nearly 13%. For the whole month, the index was down more than 8%.

At this point, Monday looks to deliver another tough session, with the Dow DJIA, +0.74% , Nasdaq COMP, +0.94% and S&P all trading lower premarket.

Markets aside, Roubini said he believes there will be huge political ramifications, especially if/when the coronavirus blows up in the United States.

“You can’t build a wall in the sky,” he said. “I live in New York City and people there are hardly going to restaurants, cinemas or theaters, even though nobody there has been infected by the virus thus far. If it comes, we are totally f***ed.”

Does that mean a “perfect scare-scenario” for Trump?

“Not at all. He will lose the election, that’s for sure,” Roubini said. “This is always the case in history. Ford lost to Carter after the 1973 oil shock, Carter lost to Reagan due to the second oil crisis in 1979, and Bush lost to Clinton after the Kuwait invasion. The Democratic field is poor, but Trump is dead.”

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-02-2020, 10:20 AM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
‘I expect global equities to tank by 30% to 40% this year. My advice is: Put your money into cash and safe government bonds.’
That’s economist Nouriel Roubini sharing his gloomy outlook on the market in an interview with Germany’s Der Spiegel last week.

“You have to hedge your money against a crash,” Roubini continued, adding that his motto is “Better safe than sorry!”

His bearish take — which lives up to his “Dr. Doom” nickname — comes amid a reeling market that saw a February peak-to-trough drop in the S&P SPX, +0.74% of nearly 13%. For the whole month, the index was down more than 8%.

At this point, Monday looks to deliver another tough session, with the Dow DJIA, +0.74% , Nasdaq COMP, +0.94% and S&P all trading lower premarket.

Markets aside, Roubini said he believes there will be huge political ramifications, especially if/when the coronavirus blows up in the United States.

“You can’t build a wall in the sky,” he said. “I live in New York City and people there are hardly going to restaurants, cinemas or theaters, even though nobody there has been infected by the virus thus far. If it comes, we are totally f***ed.”

Does that mean a “perfect scare-scenario” for Trump?

“Not at all. He will lose the election, that’s for sure,” Roubini said. “This is always the case in history. Ford lost to Carter after the 1973 oil shock, Carter lost to Reagan due to the second oil crisis in 1979, and Bush lost to Clinton after the Kuwait invasion. The Democratic field is poor, but Trump is dead.”
pete, what do you hope happens to the economy between now and november? curious what you’ll say.

i agree trump is in trouble if it decreases 30%.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:41 AM   #20
Pete F.
Canceled

Hope and think are two different things.

You can hope for lots of things, but I think at best we are one more big shock away from a global recession.

I'd like to see the Stable Genius take the advice he gave Obama..........

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
Oct 15, 2014
President Obama has a personal responsibility to visit & embrace all people in the US who contract Ebola!

Coronavirus makes clear what has been true all along. Your health is as safe as that of the worst-insured, worst-cared-for person in your society. It will be decided by the height of the floor, not the ceiling.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-02-2020, 11:07 AM   #21
Jim in CT

pete i know hope and think are different things. you didn’t come close to answering the question i asked.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:17 AM   #22
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I hope it stays robust.

I think it will likely slide some due to coronoa virus. That likely controls the direction of the vector. The magnitude of the change that occurs will be in large part controlled by the white house response to the medical and financial side of things. We will see how it all plays out.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 03-02-2020, 11:40 AM   #23
Pete F.
Canceled

Apparently you have fallen for the Citrus Caligula's statements that anyone who opposes him is against America. Just keep marching in lockstep.

I'm smart enough to know that it is very unlikely that anything I do or say will affect the economy, but I'd like to see the Stable Genius take the advice he gave Obama..........and thereby symbolically self-immolate.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
Oct 15, 2014
President Obama has a personal responsibility to visit & embrace all people in the US who contract Ebola!

It now seems highly likely that there has been undetected community transmission ongoing in parts of the upper West Coast for weeks, at least and it has likely spread nationwide. How did we end up with major surveillance failure on par with Italy and Iran? Think about how that happens.

“I think it’s very safe," President Trump says when asked if it is safe to hold a campaign rally amid concerns about the spread of coronavirus.

You could get a ticket........

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-02-2020, 11:41 AM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I hope it stays robust.

I think it will likely slide some due to coronoa virus. That likely controls the direction of the vector. The magnitude of the change that occurs will be in large part controlled by the white house response to the medical and financial side of things. We will see how it all plays out.
i completely believe that you really hope it stays robust.

i think the magnitude of the drop will also depends on how china and others respond, and we don’t control that.

it could easily go down another 10%, stay there until next year. that won’t help trump, especially if it effects unemployment.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
That’s economist Nouriel Roubini...“Better safe than sorry.

At this point, Monday looks to deliver another tough session.”
for long term investing, it is not better to be safe than sorry. Does your Mr Roubini advise young people to put all their savings in savings accounts?

Yes, today is an awful day!

one week is nothing Pete, it was a reaction to a global virus. not a macro indicator of the health of the us economy.

Dips are a good thing, not a bad thing, for all but short-term investors.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #26
Jim in CT

Pete, i asked you twice what you’re rooting for. It’s a very, very simple question. Rockhound answered it. You dodged twice.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #27
Pete F.
Canceled

This market is not normal by any definition.
It has lasted longer than any other bull market.
Every bull market has ended.

But on the positive side there are a lot of cheap flights right now, and if you are going to get the coronavirus, you might as well get it in a deeply discounted 5 star hotel in Venice.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #28
Pete F.
Canceled

I'd like to see the Stable Genius take the advice he gave Obama..........and thereby symbolically self-immolate.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-02-2020, 01:54 PM   #29
Jim in CT

So what we've learned from Pete just this week...

Last week's awful stock market results had nothing to do with corona virus, but were a sign of no confidence in Trump. His proof of this, is that when looking at a different point in time with a different disease and a different administration, the stock market didn't do exactly what it did last week.

He quoted an economist who is telling people to dump equities and put your nest egg in cash. Never mind that by doing so, you will likely miss out on the inevitable rebound, which is why all sane people advise against trying to time things that precisely.

He said that today was going to be a rough day, when the indices are way up.

He did admit that it was "unlikely" (but presumably not impossible in his mind), that anything he posts here, will influence the broad markets. Personally, I think he's really selling himself short. I can't fathom the markets going up unless he says things are healthy.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:57 PM   #30
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Back to the original thread premise....
I think RR would be sorely disappointed with an Ivanka presidency, I think she is a pretty big liberal who is playing the part as a good daughter right now. But maybe he only cares that she is hot and straight?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"