Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-09-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
wdmso

Market tanks 1900 points

Only the POTUS thinks this virus is a nothing burger ,, the rest of the world not so much
Old 03-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

He's worried about Pocahontas and Bernie

If you have to shut down the market 3 times in 24 hours, it's not just a bear, it's a grizzly.

But here's an idea

Quick, ban short selling and let the Fed buy stocks directly. US indexes are only allowed to go up over time. Free markets be damned. Who needs capitalism when we have central banks?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-09-2020, 01:33 PM   #3
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Only the POTUS thinks this virus is a nothing burger ,, the rest of the world not so much
A few traders binge watched MSNBC last night and this is where we are. Don’t wash your hands to own the libs!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-09-2020, 01:36 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Trumps comments have been beyond idiotic. Fortunately, I don't look to him for information regarding my health and family's well being, I'll ask doctors about that stuff. But since Trump is hard-wired this way, he could really use better handlers.

Ask people who bought stocks in the 4th quarter of 2008, how they made out. This is a once-in-a-decade buying opportunity. I don't know when the absolute bottom will be (no one does), but there are steals out there.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

The other thing that happened was U.S. credit markets exploded from $2 trillion in 2008 to $7 trillion today.

That's driven by single-A and BBB paper which could easily fall into junk, or non-investment grade territory.

With a possible recession we will likely need a bailout again for banks too big to fail.
And those people who invested in Bonds with great yields to be "safe" because they were getting towards retirement.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-09-2020, 04:11 PM   #6
Sea Dangles

Buy low
Sell high
Old 03-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Buy low
Sell high
exactly.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:43 PM   #8
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Some great buying opportunities. For instance: Tesla is off $100 today alone. They are not going away and it's a good time to buy the stock.

No boat, back in the suds.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:45 PM   #9
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
The world is going to end.
You guys should do whatever necessary to beat the rush.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:31 PM   #10
scottw

Quote:
I saw my primary physician this morning...she thinks it's a nothing burger
Old 03-09-2020, 08:43 PM   #11
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I saw my primary physician this morning...she thinks it's a nothing burger
Did she say that after you coughed . LOL.

All of Italy is in lockdown as coronavirus cases rise??

Old 03-09-2020, 09:06 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
if trump thought it was nothing, why did he limit people coming here from china on the first day?

my company is closing offices and eliminated business travel.

Old 03-10-2020, 04:01 AM   #13
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Did she say that after you coughed . LOL.

All of Italy is in lockdown as coronavirus cases rise??

Sorry. His Doc should have been more specific. Nothing Lasagna.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 03-10-2020, 04:11 AM   #14
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
if trump thought it was nothing, why did he limit people coming here from china on the first day?

my company is closing offices and eliminated business travel.

The potential of this bug is not a nothing burger. Hopefully this can be limited in the US.

Our travel is limited now. Just canceled my trip to a conference, saving me the fight with my wife if I should go or not.... Awaiting closures/virtual learning but nothing yet. We will see.

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 03-10-2020, 06:30 AM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
The potential of this bug is not a nothing burger. Hopefully this can be limited in the US.

Our travel is limited now. Just canceled my trip to a conference, saving me the fight with my wife if I should go or not.... Awaiting closures/virtual learning but nothing yet. We will see.
id bet schools get closed at some point. And THAT is a big deal because you can’t even get working parents to keep a kid home when the kid is sick, for a day.

it’s amazing what can happen because someone ate something that looks like an armadillo in eastern china. and if that’s really what started this, how did they figure that out so fast?

and maybe we need better stockpiles of medical supplies.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:34 AM   #16
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I saw my urologist this morning...she thinks it's a nothing burger

Old 03-10-2020, 07:37 AM   #17
Sea Dangles

It’s hard to believe there are still active cruise ships.

I wonder if the citizens of Italy blame leadership for their plight...
Old 03-10-2020, 07:46 AM   #18
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post

Old 03-10-2020, 07:49 AM   #19
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
It’s hard to believe there are still active cruise ships.

I wonder if the citizens of Italy blame leadership for their plight...
plenty of other nice places to visit in the world....
Old 03-10-2020, 07:55 AM   #20
wdmso

Trump: Payroll Tax Cuts And Hourly Worker Relief Possible In Coronavirus Response

Or is this for the markets

From no big deal to this ?? More confusion.....

If this is still around in September plenty of seats at Octoberfest if they even have it ..
Old 03-10-2020, 08:14 AM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

On February 27th, Italy had 600 people confirmed infected with coronavirus.

Today, it has 10,000 cases and the entire country is on lockdown.

That was 11 DAYS AGO.

Guess how many the US had yesterday: 600

THAT is exponential growth. Do the math.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-10-2020, 08:26 AM   #22
Sea Dangles

Italy is an extremely densely populated country making containment very difficult. I sympathize with their plight and also with their leadership, who is obviously responsible for this tragedy. As is Iran, South Korea and China. Extra points for South Korea as they have many test kits.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:27 AM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
On February 27th, Italy had 600 people confirmed infected with coronavirus.

Today, it has 10,000 cases and the entire country is on lockdown.

That was 11 DAYS AGO.

Guess how many the US had yesterday: 600

THAT is exponential growth. Do the math.
i’ll ask again, what are you rooting for here? i know what you’re rooting for, just curious if you’ll admit it out loud. Whatever it takes to topple the current administration.

we’re probably going to be way into the thousands.

wonder what your reaction was, when trump restricted people
coming here from china on day one. did you call him a racist xenophobe? be honest, you did, didn’t you?

this is a serious situation. is anyone denying that? it’s also not trumps fault. will you concede that? or do you blame
him?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 03-10-2020 at 08:34 AM..
Old 03-10-2020, 08:59 AM   #24
Pete F.
Canceled

No, did you?

His mistake came at the next step, when he played the miracle card instead of tracking, testing and isolation.

Nobody expects him to give definitive answers. But even a minimally competent president could calm anxieties by explaining what we know, what we don’t know and what we should do about the virus.

I have yet to see one of his officials, never mind him say that we should look at all the means of control we have, what they are and why we should use them.

Instead he says the exact opposite and curbs their speech.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-10-2020, 09:22 AM   #25
spence

Quote:
wonder what your reaction was, when trump restricted people
coming here from china on day one. did you call him a racist xenophobe? be honest, you did, didn’t you?
You’ve mentioned this several times now without any evidence any of it occurred. Besides Trump says who?
Old 03-10-2020, 09:53 AM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
Trump: Payroll Tax Cuts And Hourly Worker Relief Possible In Coronavirus Response

Or is this for the markets

From no big deal to this ?? More confusion.....

If this is still around in September plenty of seats at Octoberfest if they even have it ..
So it's not a good thing to try to guarantee hourly workers that they'll get paid in the event they cannot go to work?

For the second time, if Trump thinks this is nothing, why did he restrict people coming here from China on day one, for which he was called a bigot by the Chinese? Why did he do that, if he thinks this is nothing?

I have no doubt you're confused. When you go all-in on the notion that he's Genghis Khan, and then he proposes a plan to help the people who might need the most help, it can be confusing. To the rest of us, who view him as a deeply flawed person who occasionally gets it very right, it's less confusing.

If he wanted to help the markets, there are ways of doing it much more directly than providing relief to hourly workers.

If Trump helps the markets (which his corporate tax cuts did), you attack him for not caring about the little guy - and there's fairness to that criticism But when he proposes to help the little guy, you accuse him of secretly trying to help the markets. And that's TDS displaying itself.

WDMSO, what can the guy do, short of killing himself, that would make you feel obligated to admit he did something good? Youre not being rational. All you do, is put sinister spin on everything he does.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:58 AM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You’ve mentioned this several times now without any evidence any of it occurred. Besides Trump says who?
Here, the NY Times, heretofore not known as being overly sympathetic to President Trump, discusses it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/31/b...ronavirus.html

Are you denying that the administration put restrictions on who could come here from China a few weeks ago? You're denying that happened? I'm making it up?

Or, can you not bring yourself to admit it, because now such restrictions would appear to have been smart?
Old 03-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
No, did you?

His mistake came at the next step, when he played the miracle card instead of tracking, testing and isolation.

Nobody expects him to give definitive answers. But even a minimally competent president could calm anxieties by explaining what we know, what we don’t know and what we should do about the virus.

I have yet to see one of his officials, never mind him say that we should look at all the means of control we have, what they are and why we should use them.

Instead he says the exact opposite and curbs their speech.

How do you test, when testing kits don't exist? Maybe Obama could do it by waving his hand, but Trump is merely a flawed human, not a deity like Obama was.

"let today (my inauguration) be the day we remember as the day that the waters stopped rising and the planet began to heal..." Those aren't the words of a narcissist, no sir!
Old 03-10-2020, 10:01 AM   #29
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Here, the NY Times, heretofore not known as being overly sympathetic to President Trump, discusses it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/31/b...ronavirus.html

Are you denying that the administration put restrictions on who could come here from China a few weeks ago? You're denying that happened? I'm making it up?

Or, can you not bring yourself to admit it, because now such restrictions would appear to have been smart?
Good summary of the conditions at the time.
Where in the article did it say people were calling him a racist xenophobe?

Bryan

Old 03-10-2020, 10:26 AM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Good summary of the conditions at the time.
Where in the article did it say people were calling him a racist xenophobe?
The article didn't mention it. I've yet to hear many liberals admit that they have a habit of calling everyone who disagree with them about anything, a bigot. But that doesn't mean it doesn't happen all the time. Liberals aren't shy about denying irrefutable, factual, empirical evidence. This is why liberals in CT claim that tax-and-spend is our solution, despite evidence to the contrary, which doesn't deter liberals.

I googled "Trump racist China travel coronavirus", here's a sample of what I got as a result...

https://www.peoplesworld.org/article...ainst-disease/

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/trum...181922522.html

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...avirus/606610/

Just look at the headlines...

Bryan, I'm right-leaning, I proudly admit that (though I agree with liberals on gay marriage, the death penalty, and to some degree gun policy). But I don't make stuff up. I am at least as capable as anyone of being incorrect, but I don't lie. If I had to lie to support my beliefs, I'd change my beliefs. That's why I cherish my beliefs, because truth and common sense make them so easy to defend.

Spence refuses to concede that there was any kind of travel restrictions initiated by Trump. I saw the liberal response, I read some of these articles. I'm not saying the democrats running for president accused the restrictions of being racist, but many in the media did. Those restrictions were OBVIOUSLY necessary (likely didn't go far enough), they were implemented to try and save lives, but the media used it as a club against him, because they hate him.

On this board, Pete said explicitly that the stock market drop wasn't because of the virus but a sign that people don't trust Trump, and WDMSO says that Trump's plan to provide some income guarantees to hourly workers, is really a sinister plot to help the markets instead of helping working people. Trump can't do anything right for a lot of thee people, that's obviously true. Trump brings a lot of criticism on himself - a whole lot. He's a crude, crass, jerk, and a pathetic excuse for a husband and a father. None of that can be denied. But there's all kinds of evidence that he does have some empathy for those less fortunate. Many here can't bring themselves to admit that. I don't include you in that group, you're very reasonable.

Now since you know a lot about science, do you have any idea how they may have traced the origins of the virus to Chinese people eating a weird looking animal? How do scientists answer these questions so quickly? Never ceases to amaze me.