Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 01-28-2020, 07:11 PM   #1
wdmso

Bow trolling motor with spot lock

Was looking for some upgrade ideas and thought about this choice the trolling motor.

it's not inexpensive nor cheap but gives me flexibility helping people with out having to be at the helm or if iam alone

But where to put the battries some require 3 to 4 battries in addition to what's already on the boat , this alone may make it impractical

Anyone have one?
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:05 PM   #2
Clammer

I sold two matching R&R setups last spring .to a yuppie..

he had $10 coming back ………. I had around $1500+ in gear …...he didn,t see anything he liked .
I asked him what he fished out of .A 17' C/C & he was getting the spot -on setup put on .

the power of advertising , but gotta admit its a game changer in some fisheries ;

a lot of guys will have them ..just last night I was looking at OTW & couldn,t help but notice the improvements in just F/F & GPS & how much they have dropped in price >>

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:54 AM   #3
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
I sold two matching R&R setups last spring .to a yuppie..

he had $10 coming back ………. I had around $1500+ in gear …...he didn,t see anything he liked .
I asked him what he fished out of .A 17' C/C & he was getting the spot -on setup put on .

the power of advertising , but gotta admit its a game changer in some fisheries ;

a lot of guys will have them ..just last night I was looking at OTW & couldn,t help but notice the improvements in just F/F & GPS & how much they have dropped in price >>
Mike the power of advertising is great but I can think of 3 spots I could use this , just to hold the boat over marked fish

Did a bit more research units run from 1200 to 2500 bucks 12v ones not enough thrust so 24v are like 80 lb. And 120lb units are 36v so iam back to where to shove 3 batteries
Old 01-29-2020, 11:37 AM   #4
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Mike the power of advertising is great but I can think of 3 spots I could use this , just to hold the boat over marked fish

Did a bit more research units run from 1200 to 2500 bucks 12v ones not enough thrust so 24v are like 80 lb. And 120lb units are 36v so iam back to where to shove 3 batteries
I don't have spot lock,the sales man at West tried to talk me into it, it was way more than I wanted to spend, and I didn't see a big enough advantage to pull that trigger, guys I know that have them swear bye them, but the difference between 12 ad 24 volts is night and day,not just dfor for the thrust, or for the smoothness and lesser amp draw, but just the overall make up of the rig, much beefier.... I've been running trolling motors in salt water since 1974, long before most people tried it...I moved from 12 to 24 volts last year, mostly for the longevity, I wear out a trolling motor every 3 years, I'm hoping for the price the 24 will go a bit longer..I use reverse a lot to hold position ( which I am told is a killer on trolling motors), mainly because I have mine stern mounted, alone, everything happens from the stern, also it suits my style much better than a bow mount( which I tried and hated)

My boats 18' I've got 4 batteries under the console, I had to do some manipulating to get them there...I'd also recommend an on board charger if you don't have one,I've had my pro mariner 3 bank charger for 5 years now, no issues.. once I went to 24 volt I had to reconfigure the wiring for the charger so each trolling motor battery is independent, I let the ACR join the boat batteries once the main one is charged to keep all 4 100%..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:19 PM   #5
Clammer

Wayne …….on u-tube there is a small video on putting one on a 27 footers .
If I was going to do it ,,I,d overpower if anything

good luck in the adventure

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #6
Guppy
User

Just don’t forget to unplug the charger from the house when u leave for the ramp.... ;-)
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:20 PM   #7
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Just don’t forget to unplug the charger from the house when u leave for the ramp.... ;-)
If I get this thing it won't be me installing it that's for sure...

And for the record I've had the same extension cord for the past 2 years LOL
Old 01-30-2020, 07:29 AM   #8
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
If I get this thing it won't be me installing it that's for sure...

And for the record I've had the same extension cord for the past 2 years LOL
LOL

Have a great safe trip,,,,
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote