Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #31
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
“I take no responsibility at all”

You know that he said that regarding the failure of the CDC to produce a new test for the virus. And the FDA procedures that required that rather than using the WHO test already available. It took the Trump administration to overcome FDA regs in order to speed up the process of allowing private research companies to help in production of viable tests.

But you keep repeating the quote as if Trump took no responsibility at all in responding to the virus. Obviously, he took on a lot of responsibility. Of course, you must paint even that as a failure.
But you know you're falsely using the quote to frame Trump as the boogie man, the orange man bad nonsense. And, like the good propagandist, you will keep doing it. Did he, as you keep repeating, say that NAZIs are very fine people?

He really could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and you would rationalize it
No. I would wait for the evidence. No doubt . . . actually . . . NO DOUBT . . . you would not wait, but immediately proclaim him to be a murderer.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:37 PM   #32
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
No. I would wait for the evidence. No doubt . . . actually . . . NO DOUBT . . . you would not wait, but immediately proclaim him to be a murderer.
He’s on tape
You can listen to him on February 7th say it kills 5%, is way worse than the flu and is transmitted through the air.
He had indoor rallies after that, denied it existed or would just go away.
He made a conscious choice to tell the American people otherwise, attack people who tried to warn.
He’s responsible for 80% of the COVID-19 deaths resulting from his lying
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-09-2020, 07:31 PM   #33
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
“Murphy refused to modify intelligence assessments so that they more closely aligned with Trump's rhetoric about Antifa and other groups, telling Wolf and Cuccinelli that he would only report accurate information as collected by DHS.”

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-09-2020, 07:47 PM   #34
detbuch

Quote:
He’s on tape
You can listen to him on February 7th say it kills 5%, is way worse than the flu and is transmitted through the air.
He had indoor rallies after that, denied it existed or would just go away.
He made a conscious choice to tell the American people otherwise, attack people who tried to warn.
He’s responsible for 80% of the COVID-19 deaths resulting from his lying
Did Trump know more about it than Fauci and the WHO? They, as well as, here we go again, as well as the Press, the media, the Dems, who also played it down. Did Trumps response team not perform as well as Fauci said they did. Playing it down verbally while doing the best medically and on the ground can go hand in hand, the first avoiding a panic, the second actually doing what is necessary to fight the virus.

China is responsible for 100% of the COVID-19 deaths.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:56 PM   #35
Pete F.
Canceled

Now we know Trump wanted to "play it down" when he heard the Coronavirus spread through the air and could kill upwards of 5% of people.

So he thought (wrongly) that 5% of people-- including "not just old people" would die from COVID. And what he decided to do about it?
"Play it down," Trump said of the virus.

So he decided to lie. And he decided to cover up that lie by publicly attacking anyone who disagreed. The CDC, HHS, Anthony Fauci.
I know we are used to lies. I know we are used to d#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g responsibility. I know we are used to incompetence, but something struck me as soon as I heard this.

His excuse: "I didn't want to panic people."

When you have a novel pandemic, before there is a vaccine, the only medicine there is is public reaction.

With a disease that spreads through the respiratory system, not telling them they could avoid catching the disease by taking simple precautions is psychopathic.
The man is a pyromaniac. He knew an invisible fire was coming here and he let the fire rage.

And the people around him knew he knew. And they too did nothing.
Its not like he had a plan for dealing with it while he denied something he knew. He let the fire rage all the time telling us it would be gone by April. 15 cases would become zero.

It spread through the air, but was "going to zero?" It killed people but was "like the flu?"
Trump's defenders like to say "It wouldn't have been any different under Obama." It would have been different under anyone but a madman.
Imagine a world under which the president holds a press conference in the first week in February. He tells people the virus is coming here. It spreads through the air. Its lethal.

Even if he screwed up everything else he screwed up, the world would be different.
People would have been prepared. They would have protected their families. We would have begun to study this. And we would have looked a lot like other countries in the world.
Think about it this way. If a corporation had knowledge that they had a product that killed people and said and did nothing, it could be considered negligent homicide. The CEO and the entire management team would be fired. Some would go to jail.
A movie would be made about the evil. It would win an academy award.

For Trump and team, it will have a news cycle of under 48 hours.

What else don't we know that he knows? What else is his team protecting him on? If he doesn't care about American lives-- soldiers with bounties or our health, what could we count on him to care about besides himself?
You can play table top exercises about what happens when a pandemic comes to our country 100 times with 100 scenarios and never play out the scenario where the president decides not to tell the country & his team backs him up.
Thankfully Republicans in Congress are loudly denouncing him.

OK, just kidding
Old 09-09-2020, 10:42 PM   #36
detbuch

Quote:
Now we know Trump wanted to "play it down" when he heard the Coronavirus spread through the air and could kill upwards of 5% of people.

So he thought (wrongly) that 5% of people-- including "not just old people" would die from COVID. And what he decided to do about it?
"Play it down," Trump said of the virus.

So he decided to lie. And he decided to cover up that lie by publicly attacking anyone who disagreed. The CDC, HHS, Anthony Fauci.
I know we are used to lies. I know we are used to d#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g responsibility. I know we are used to incompetence, but something struck me as soon as I heard this.

His excuse: "I didn't want to panic people."

When you have a novel pandemic, before there is a vaccine, the only medicine there is is public reaction.

With a disease that spreads through the respiratory system, not telling them they could avoid catching the disease by taking simple precautions is psychopathic.
The man is a pyromaniac. He knew an invisible fire was coming here and he let the fire rage.

And the people around him knew he knew. And they too did nothing.
Its not like he had a plan for dealing with it while he denied something he knew. He let the fire rage all the time telling us it would be gone by April. 15 cases would become zero.

It spread through the air, but was "going to zero?" It killed people but was "like the flu?"
Trump's defenders like to say "It wouldn't have been any different under Obama." It would have been different under anyone but a madman.
Imagine a world under which the president holds a press conference in the first week in February. He tells people the virus is coming here. It spreads through the air. Its lethal.

Even if he screwed up everything else he screwed up, the world would be different.
People would have been prepared. They would have protected their families. We would have begun to study this. And we would have looked a lot like other countries in the world.
Think about it this way. If a corporation had knowledge that they had a product that killed people and said and did nothing, it could be considered negligent homicide. The CEO and the entire management team would be fired. Some would go to jail.
A movie would be made about the evil. It would win an academy award.

For Trump and team, it will have a news cycle of under 48 hours.

What else don't we know that he knows? What else is his team protecting him on? If he doesn't care about American lives-- soldiers with bounties or our health, what could we count on him to care about besides himself?
You can play table top exercises about what happens when a pandemic comes to our country 100 times with 100 scenarios and never play out the scenario where the president decides not to tell the country & his team backs him up.
Thankfully Republicans in Congress are loudly denouncing him.

OK, just kidding
This is the proverbial making a mountain out of a molehill.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:58 PM   #37
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
This is the proverbial making a mountain out of a molehill.
200 thousand dead is a mountain

Every other leader in the world saw a bump in approval ratings bc countries rally around leaders in times of crises usually...Trump's the ONLY one that didn't benefit Every other leader in the world saw a bump in approval ratings bc the country rallies around leaders in times of crises ...Trump's the ONLY one that didn't benefit from that solely bc of his handling of the crisis. Had he taken this seriously,hed be walking into reelection from that solely because of his handling of the crisis. Had he taken this seriously,he’d be walking into reelection.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-09-2020, 11:18 PM   #38
detbuch

Quote:
200 thousand dead is a mountain

Every other leader in the world saw a bump in approval ratings bc countries rally around leaders in times of crises usually...Trump's the ONLY one that didn't benefit Every other leader in the world saw a bump in approval ratings bc the country rallies around leaders in times of crises ...Trump's the ONLY one that didn't benefit from that solely bc of his handling of the crisis. Had he taken this seriously,hed be walking into reelection from that solely because of his handling of the crisis. Had he taken this seriously,he’d be walking into reelection.
100 thousand is a mountain. Two million is a mountain. There were "expert" predictions of over two million deaths in the U.S. if the virus was not handled. I wasn't referring to the numbers mountain.

Several of the other countries had worse death ratios than the U.S., yet their leaders saw a bump in approval ratings. Interesting.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:06 AM   #39
Pete F.
Canceled

Tweety’s latest tweet
Kim Jong Un is in good health. Never underestimate him!

At least we found someone whose health the President cares about
Old 09-10-2020, 08:34 AM   #40
wdmso

The right is already trying
Sean Hannity claims Biden, Democrats downplayed coronavirus while Trump took action
'The Biden campaign didn't even release an official response on the pandemic until March 11'

Some one should tell Hannity that being the President and Trying to become president. Do not remotely have the same level of duties and responsibilities..
Biden
But I want to take a moment to say it’s not a time to panic about coronavirus, but coronavirus is a serious public health challenge.”

TRUMP Its going to just dissappear or Trump Falsely Claims ‘99 Percent’ of Virus Cases Are ‘Totally Harmless’
Or his finest. It is what it is'

Last edited by wdmso; 09-10-2020 at 08:42 AM..
Old 09-10-2020, 08:44 AM   #41
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
100 thousand is a mountain. Two million is a mountain. There were "expert" predictions of over two million deaths in the U.S. if the virus was not handled. I wasn't referring to the numbers mountain.

Several of the other countries had worse death ratios than the U.S., yet their leaders saw a bump in approval ratings. Interesting.
Sure that’s where we might have gone if everyone ignored the science and there was no shutdown whatsoever. There are also expert opinions on how many lives might have been saved with early and more drastic nationally driven and supported measures, but those lives aren’t important as long as Trump perceives a political win of some sort, the irony is his handling turned into his political nightmare.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:50 AM   #42
PaulS

how is defending Trump not TDS? Where is Jim to help us?
Old 09-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #43
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Sure that’s where we might have gone if everyone ignored the science and there was no shutdown whatsoever. There are also expert opinions on how many lives might have been saved with early and more drastic nationally driven and supported measures, but those lives aren’t important as long as Trump perceives a political win of some sort, the irony is his handling turned into his political nightmare.
I keep hearing about earlier actions. When did Trump do what was in his power to do? Did he just wait a while when he supposedly knew the nature of the disease? Is that the accusation?

And did Trump know more then the WHO? Where did Fauci get his information? From Trump? Was Trump this genius who knew about covid before anybody else? This is all mysterious, but somehow absolutely clear.

As far as it "appears," Trump acted when and how the "experts" told him.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:04 AM   #44
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

You need to pay more attention!
Old 09-10-2020, 10:05 AM   #45
detbuch

Quote:
You need to pay more attention!
Oh, I forgot. You know everything.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:16 AM   #46
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Oh, I forgot. You know everything.
Oh no I’d never cut into your purview, but I do listen to what the science and experts tell us, the political stuff from both sides is white noise.

So oh learned one, do you keep a nation from panic, by down playing the crisis and by holding off using and promoting the very measures proven to work until forced to? Either he knows better and I’m certain he doesn’t or he has a really low opinion of how America could have soldered thru.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:26 AM   #47
Pete F.
Canceled

Trump, March 19, on tape with Bob Woodward: "I wanted to always play it down. I still like playing it down, because I don't want to create a panic."
Kayleigh McEnany yesterday: "The president never downplayed the virus."

"I want to show a calmness. I'm the leader of the country. I can't be jumping up and down," Trump tells Hannity about why he played down the coronavirus, knowing it was "deadly stuff"

"If the US had the same death rate as the EU overall, nearly 84,000 Americans wouldn’t have died (out of the nearly 190,000 who have died so far). If the US had the same death rate as Canada, nearly 109,000 Americans wouldn’t have died."
Old 09-10-2020, 10:44 AM   #48
detbuch

Quote:
Oh no I’d never cut into your purview,

You're the one saying I need to pay more attention.
Sounds like cutting into my purview. And that you know more than me.

but I do listen to what the science and experts tell us, the political stuff from both sides is white noise.

He did listen to the experts. He still does. His whole response team was based on the opinion of, and loaded with, experts. I assume that what he told Woodward was garnered from experts.

So oh learned one, do you keep a nation from panic, by down playing the crisis

That's one of the ways.

and by holding off using and promoting the very measures proven to work until forced to?

There is no evidence that he held off the medical or technical measures needed to contain the virus. On the contrary, he went full steam into creating a task force and making it possible for the CDC to work with private researchers and developers of equipment. He didn't prevent anyone from wearing masks or using social distance. Nor was it fully agreed by all the experts that the masks really had an effect. And he always embraced any protocol that showed any promise.

Either he knows better and I’m certain he doesn’t or he has a really low opinion of how America could have soldered thru.
Excuse me, but I personally experienced the lack of various things like rubbing alcohol, various disinfectants needed for cleaning around the house, paper towels of all sorts including toilet paper, cases of bottled water as well as various canned foods because a lot of Americans panicked and emptied the shelves to overstock their own supply, not giving a damn about anybody else.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:01 AM   #49
detbuch

Quote:
Trump, March 19, on tape with Bob Woodward: "I wanted to always play it down. I still like playing it down, because I don't want to create a panic."

Woodward is facing some heat because he withheld this supposedly very important information from the public in order to sell more books. If it was that critical, he should have immediately informed us. Very cynical or he didn't believe it was that critical.
His excuse for not doing so is very weak.

"I want to show a calmness. I'm the leader of the country. I can't be jumping up and down," Trump tells Hannity about why he played down the coronavirus, knowing it was "deadly stuff"

Apparently, Kayleigh was wrong. Or there is more context to what she said--don't know, but Press Secretary statements are down on my list of important things.

"If the US had the same death rate as the EU overall, nearly 84,000 Americans wouldn’t have died (out of the nearly 190,000 who have died so far). If the US had the same death rate as Canada, nearly 109,000 Americans wouldn’t have died."
Yeah, we have different death rates, better or worse. And Trump is responsible for that? Geez, man, we have a huge medical and technical and research infrastructure, regulatory agencies, independent states, experts up the gazoo, and a nation of divided and uniquely independent people, and a fairly unique political power structure that limits the power of the President far more than the leaders of most other nations--and Trump is the reason for the number of deaths?
Old 09-10-2020, 11:06 AM   #50
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Yeah, we have different death rates, better or worse. And Trump is responsible for that? Geez, man, we have a huge medical and technical and research infrastructure, regulatory agencies, independent states, experts up the gazoo, and a nation of divided and uniquely independent people, and a fairly unique political power structure that limits the power of the President far more than the leaders of most other nations--and Trump is the reason for the number of deaths?
It does not mute him as if that is not apparent.

Trump acted like the captain of a ship who knows it is about to hit an iceberg but doesn’t tell the passengers to make for the lifeboats.

That is an offense even more serious than simply falling asleep at the watch.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-10-2020, 11:16 AM   #51
detbuch

Quote:
It does not mute him as if that is not apparent.

He wasn't mute.

Trump acted like the captain of a ship who knows it is about to hit an iceberg but doesn’t tell the passengers to make for the lifeboats.

Oh, the dumb captain of a ship thing. Well, if we must, he provided lifeboats that were not there. He instructed his crew to find them, make them, design them, distribute them.

That is an offense even more serious than simply falling asleep at the watch.
Fauci said he couldn't imagine anyone else doing more than what the response task force that Trump created were doing.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #52
RickBomba

Quote:
Did Trump know more about it than Fauci and the WHO? They, as well as, here we go again, as well as the Press, the media, the Dems, who also played it down. Did Trumps response team not perform as well as Fauci said they did. Playing it down verbally while doing the best medically and on the ground can go hand in hand, the first avoiding a panic, the second actually doing what is necessary to fight the virus.

China is responsible for 100% of the COVID-19 deaths.
Sorry Butchie,
Buuut....

Most of our current COVID load came from Europe; including mine. Calling it China-virus just makes you look like the Commander-in-Ostrich.

And the only playing Trumbo did was fatty-golf, while he waffled back-and-forth in February and March.

It’s only another 50 days, or so. Trumby can prolly fit in 37 days of golf, so it’s pretty much two more weeks of real work.

Florida is calling him. He’s a Lame Duck at this point.

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
Old 09-10-2020, 12:53 PM   #53
PaulS

Quote:

I thought Kayleigh promised not to lie?

Just another scummy Trumplican.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #54
RickBomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I thought Kayleigh promised not to lie?

Just another scummy Trumplican.
Kayleez just like any other cute blond who makes you a promise...

She’s already made that promise to a cuter beefcake than you.

Nothing is more fleeting than a beautiful, blonde woman’s promise.

She’s the ultimate blonde...
JOKE!

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
Old 09-10-2020, 02:39 PM   #55
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBomba View Post
Sorry Butchie,
Buuut....

Most of our current COVID load came from Europe; including mine. Calling it China-virus just makes you look like the Commander-in-Ostrich.
Europe got it from China. The virus originated in China. Saying that we got covid from Europe is like saying that if someone from Tennessee who had covid went to a virus free state and infected the folks in that state, then those folks could call it the Tennessee virus.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:27 PM   #56
scottw

I can't wait to watch trump debate weekend at biden's.....
Old 09-11-2020, 07:02 AM   #57
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Europe got it from China. The virus originated in China. Saying that we got covid from Europe is like saying that if someone from Tennessee who had covid went to a virus free state and infected the folks in that state, then those folks could call it the Tennessee virus.
Read his post a little closer, he said most of our cases came from Europe, he didn’t say it originated in Europe; which is why the travel ban Jim loves to harp on made very little difference other than delay the inevitable.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:27 AM   #58
wdmso

Woodward is facing some heat because he withheld this supposedly very important information from the public in order to sell more books. If it was that critical, he should have immediately informed us. Very cynical or he didn't believe it was that critical.
His excuse for not doing so is very weak.

WOW detbunch not sure if you feel the same way? how can people expect more action from a reporter than the Trump himself

That heat is what true TDS looks like . Republicans blaming Woodward hell 90% OF trump supporters don't believe it any way.. even in a recording of him saying it
Old 09-11-2020, 08:02 AM   #59
scottw

Woodward is just trying to sell books, left and the media trying to turn any scrap they can locate into a "bombshell" against trump...they all go off in their faces which is truly fun.....chicken little leftists and nobody is listening
Old 09-11-2020, 08:05 AM   #60
scottw

yup......the phony empathy of the left accusing the right of lacking empathy...classic leftiscism