Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Hawaii senator Mazie Hirono on Kavanaugh

The esteemed US Senator from HI, Mazie Hirono, had this to say about the Kavanaugh accusation...(apparently she's also a geneticist)

She said the accuser "needs to be believed". Needs to be believed! In other words, we must disbelieve the accused! So apparently, Senator Hirono was appointed supreme guardian of the presumption of innocence, and she gets to decide who it applies to, and who it doesn't apply to.

She also calls on "men is this country to shut up and do the right thing for a change".

Screw you, toots.

https://ktla.com/2018/09/18/sen-hiro...nst-kavanaugh/

My Senator, Richard Blumenthal, a former attorney general, feels that an unsubstantiated accusation is enough. Very well, Senator, I accuse you of sexual assault, now resign.

These people are absolutely disgusting, and they have no shame.

Go ahead Spence, tell us why I am taking her comment's out of context, and why the comments are actually the epitome of fair, and perfectly keeping with the notion of due process.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:16 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Don't worry, the usual suspects will put on their Labia lids and strut around like a virtue-signaling peacock in the hopes of getting laid this weekend.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-19-2018, 05:55 AM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
These people are absolutely disgusting, and they have no shame
Are you coming up with a crayon drawing also?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-19-2018, 06:08 AM   #4
Jim in CT

It’s probably not Senator Horino’s fault, she’s a democrat in the senate, she spends all day with Chuck Schumer, Tim Kaine, Richard Blumenthal, and Chris Murphy. Who can blame her for believing that men are all a bunch of whiny, unpleasant, effete debutantes? she should have spent some time with senators like John McCain, Tom Cotton ( us army ranger, alumni if Harvard and Harvard Law), Tim Scott, etc.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:13 AM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

Jim, you do realize roughly half the population are women and nowadays they have the right to vote?
Old 09-19-2018, 06:16 AM   #6
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Jim, you do realize roughly half the population are women and nowadays they have the right to vote?
but can they still cook?
Old 09-19-2018, 06:26 AM   #7
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
The esteemed US Senator from HI, Mazie Hirono, had this to say about the Kavanaugh accusation...(apparently she's also a geneticist)

She said the accuser "needs to be believed". Needs to be believed! In other words, we must disbelieve the accused! So apparently, Senator Hirono was appointed supreme guardian of the presumption of innocence, and she gets to decide who it applies to, and who it doesn't apply to.

She also calls on "men is this country to shut up and do the right thing for a change".

Screw you, toots.

https://ktla.com/2018/09/18/sen-hiro...nst-kavanaugh/

My Senator, Richard Blumenthal, a former attorney general, feels that an unsubstantiated accusation is enough. Very well, Senator, I accuse you of sexual assault, now resign.

These people are absolutely disgusting, and they have no shame.

Go ahead Spence, tell us why I am taking her comment's out of context, and why the comments are actually the epitome of fair, and perfectly keeping with the notion of due process.
I agree she needs to be heard and having first hand knowledge of how difficult it is for these young rape victoms to come forward, I’m not ready to dismiss their claims just because they happened that long ago. I didn’t find out my X was raped in high school until we were married for ten years and even then it was like pulling teeth.

If it happened and some of the therapy she has received supports the claim and he is lying as many do; you ready to give him a pass?
Old 09-19-2018, 06:31 AM   #8
scottw

Quote:

weren't there unsubstantiated allegations that he is a war hero?
Old 09-19-2018, 06:42 AM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I agree she needs to be heard
She was going to be heard, on Monday. But now her lawyer wants a full FBI investigation before she is heard, do you think they will finish that up by Monday? All this is shaping up to be, is a time wasting ploy until we get to the November Elections.

our government is officially FUBAR

Old 09-19-2018, 06:59 AM   #10
Sea Dangles

Quote:
I agree she needs to be heard and having first hand knowledge of how difficult it is for these young rape victoms to come forward, I’m not ready to dismiss their claims just because they happened that long ago. I didn’t find out my X was raped in high school until we were married for ten years and even then it was like pulling teeth.

If it happened and some of the therapy she has received supports the claim and he is lying as many do; you ready to give him a pass?
This is not a rape accusation,sounds like groping at a high school party. He must be Satan.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 09-19-2018, 07:12 AM   #11
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Been to my share of high school and college parties, with lots of alcohol involved and I’ve never attempted to forcibly take a girls clothes off without concent. So attempting rape is ok because the young age and booze somehow gives a guy a pass?
Old 09-19-2018, 07:17 AM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

They’ll never tell
https://www.businessinsider.com/kava...l-video-2018-9
Old 09-19-2018, 07:23 AM   #13
PaulS

Quote:
Been to my share of high school and college parties, with lots of alcohol involved and I’ve never attempted to forcibly take a girls clothes off without concent. Same here

So attempting rape is ok because the young age and booze somehow gives a guy a pass?
Apparently with this new Republican party it is. It is laughable to hear people call this a "hearing". No witnesses, no investigation, no nothing other letting 2 people testify.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:26 AM   #14
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Apparently with this new Republican party it is. It is laughable to hear people call this a "hearing". No witnesses, no investigation, no nothing other letting 2 people testify.
this is laughable.....
Old 09-19-2018, 07:32 AM   #15
scottw

HILLARY said she deserves the benefit of the doubt......

and..."I mean, there can’t be one set of rules for Democrats and one set of rules for Republicans. That’s one of the reasons why people don’t have any confidence in the Congress. How can you?

that's right Hillary...please go directly to jail
Old 09-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #16
Pete F.
Canceled

So a little bit you won't find on Faux or Breitbart

While delivering remarks at the Columbus School of Law in March 2015, Kavanaugh made a jocular reference to his alma mater: "We had a good saying that we've held firm to to this day as the dean was reminding me before the talk, which is what happens at Georgetown Prep stays at Georgetown Prep. That's been a good thing for all of us."

Both Kavanaugh and Judge have both vehemently denied Ford's allegations, which could derail Kavanaugh's Supreme Court nomination.
Judge on Tuesday issued a statement claiming he had no memory of the alleged assault and said he did not wish to testify, rejecting calls from Senate Democrats for him to do so.

Judge is the author of two memoirs, "Wasted" and "God and Man at Georgetown Prep." In both, he details the drinking and debauchery he took part in while at Prep.

Years after high school, Judge wrote a memoir, "Wasted: Tales of a Gen X Drunk." It chronicled his struggles with alcoholism while a teenager, painting his days at Georgetown Prep as filled with parties and black-out drunk nights.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-19-2018, 08:09 AM   #17
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
While delivering remarks at the Columbus School of Law in March 2015, Kavanaugh made a jocular reference to his alma mater: "We had a good saying that we've held firm to to this day as the dean was reminding me before the talk, which is what happens at Georgetown Prep stays at Georgetown Prep. That's been a good thing for all of us."
Well, That's good enough for me. When are we all gathering in the town square for the stoning?

Old 09-19-2018, 08:11 AM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
All this is shaping up to be, is a time wasting ploy until we get to the November Elections.
That's all it was, right out of the gate. Fine, give 10 FBI agents a week to investigate.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:

Everything you say is fair. But the accuser doesn't know when it happened, she doesn't know where it happened, there are discrepancies between what she says today and what she told her therapist...how can Kavanaugh possibly defend himself?

Did you read what John R said happened to him? He, presumably, was able to show that he was somewhere else at the time. But how could he do that, if the accuser could not specify the time and place? Can you imagine the spot John would have been in, if he had no chance to prove he was somewhere else at the time?

If he did it, he should answer for it, absolutely. But unfortunately, there is almost certainly no way to get anything more than he said / she said, and after 35 years, and with all his character witnesses and the lack of anyone else making accusations, is that enough? Is it nearly enough to punish him? I don't think so. It absolutely reeks of political motivation, it couldn't be more obvious.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:18 AM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Well, That's good enough for me. When are we all gathering in the town square for the stoning?
Yep, when he was a teenager, he occasionally was involved in drunken stupidity. Let's go right to the execution.

How did we get here?
Old 09-19-2018, 08:19 AM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
So it comes down to Supreme Court appointment for life or Stoning.
Those are the choices?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #22
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Those are the choices?
certainly seems that way.

I mean its Guilty until proven Innocent in the court of public opinion

Old 09-19-2018, 08:36 AM   #23
scottw

Quote:
Those are the choices?
they already stoned him in the hearing..this is the execution
Old 09-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #24
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Been to my share of high school and college parties, with lots of alcohol involved and I’ve never attempted to forcibly take a girls clothes off without concent. So attempting rape is ok because the young age and booze somehow gives a guy a pass?
Is grabbing a girls ass or titties attempted rape?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 09-19-2018, 09:16 AM   #25
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Is grabbing a girls ass or titties attempted rape?
Ask your wife

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
Those are the choices?
If an unsubstantiated allegation is enough to derail his nomination, how will anyone ever get confirmed again? The opposition party will always get someone to make an allegation, and then where are we, Pete?
Old 09-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
certainly seems that way.

I mean its Guilty until proven Innocent in the court of public opinion
Senator Horino was on TV last night, she said we "all need to believe her".

In other words, Senator Horino thinks we all "need" to ignore the Constitution, at least when a liberal women accuses a conservative man.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #28
PaulS

Quote:
If an unsubstantiated allegation is enough to derail his nomination, how will anyone ever get confirmed again? The opposition party will always get someone to make an allegation, and then where are we, Pete?
Not saying he shouldn't be confirmed but have an independent investigatative arm of the gov. (the FBI) do an investigation and have a fair hearing w/witnesses.

Quote:

In other words, Senator Horino thinks we all "need" to ignore the Constitution, at least when a liberal women accuses a conservative man.
And Orrin Hatch said

“The judge who I know very, very well, is an honest man, said this didn’t happen,” Hatch said, according to The Hill.

Sounds like he has already made his mind up that K is innocent so the so called hearing will be a joke.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #29
spence

Quote:

What does this have to do with the Constitution?
Old 09-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Not saying he shouldn't be confirmed but have an independent investigatative arm of the gov. (the FBI) do an investigation and have a fair hearing w/witnesses.

And Orrin Hatch said

“The judge who I know very, very well, is an honest man, said this didn’t happen,” Hatch said, according to The Hill.

Sounds like he has already made his mind up that K is innocent so the so called hearing will be a joke.
"have an independent investigatative arm of the gov. (the FBI) do an investigation and have a fair hearing w/witnesses."

I have no quarrel with that, but its very likely it will boil down to he said / she said. And the time to do this, as Senator Feinstein well knows, was when the FBI was already doing his background check. Paul, why do you suppose they didn't ask for the investigation then, in which case this would be behind us now?

"The judge who I know very, very well, is an honest man, said this didn’t happen,” Hatch said, according to The Hill."

He shouldn't be saying that, it's wrong for him to say that.

Now Paul, what do you think of Senator Horino, saying on TV that we "need to believe" Kavanaugh's accuser? She has also made up her mind ahead of time, which further contributes to the hearing being a joke.

I cannot possibly know what happened. But I'm pretty certain that the allegation will never be proven to any rational level of certainty, in which case no one should oppose his nomination based on this event.

I gotta hand it to the democrats, this is win-win. If they derail his nomination, and they re-take the senate, they can stop Trump from shifting the court to the right. If he gets confirmed, all of them will be shrieking right up until the midterms, that republicans have no empathy for victims of sexual assault. The only political risk, is that if this tactic (it's pretty underhanded) turns off voters in the key swing states. Sure it will increases the margin of victory in places where they would have won anyway, but does it help in WV and OH? We'll see.

Paul, why do you suppose that Senator Horino says we need to believe Kavanaugh';s accuser, but she's not saying we need to believe Keith Ellison's accuser? This kind of dirty fighting from the left is exactly why Trump got elected, and at times like this I thank God we have a POTUS who is more than wiling to take off the boxing gloves, and out on the brass knuckles, when his opponents do the same.