Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-31-2007, 12:52 PM   #1
WadingWill

Where to get drill bits?

I'm looking for a 1/8 brad point bit at least 6" long. I've searched on this and found W.L. Fuller but they are closed and I really want to get started on this today. I've searched all my local hardware stores including home depot and lowes, and can't find them long enough. Anybody know of a place with them in stock, or should I just wait and get them from Fuller?
WadingWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

Home depot usually has non brad point bits that are 6 or 12" long
I have better luck with the 3/16 than 1/8

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
gldnbear93

If you are in Rhody, try Harbor Freight on RT 2 near Target. I know they have them. Home depot and Lowes usually have them as well.
If you want better stuff, then wait till Fuller Reopens. The will Grind the spurs off the bradpoints for endgrain for you also.

Go Bears!
gldnbear93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:35 PM   #4
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I have 2 brand new ones I never used. They are 8" long. I will give you a good deal on them if you want

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:54 PM   #5
WadingWill

Professor M, pm sent.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
WadingWill

I've found long enough 1/8 inch bits just not brad points. How important is it to be drilling with a brad point, and how important is it to have the spurs ground off? I'm sure I'll find out when I start drilling but can anyone fill me in?
Old 12-31-2007, 02:31 PM   #7
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Personally I see no need to use those expensive drills. The flute is too long and causes the drill to be too flimsy, thus walking may occur. There is no way you will be having chips flow all the way down the flutes. Aircraft drills are the way to go. You can get them 12 inches and over in total length but the flutes will only be 2 inches long. Cut them to the length you want. You are going to be relieving the chips every 1/4 to 1/2 inch you drill in depth so no need for 6 to 8 inches of flute. I would also go with a 5/32 size dia. as that is the size of the nose grommets and the added dia. will give you a more rigid drill. Now I am sure some guys use the brads and love them but IMO you will be better off and save some $$$. You can get them in cobalt for longer wear too if you want to spend a little extra.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=35075557

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 12-31-2007, 02:37 PM   #8
WadingWill

Thanks agian Professor!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 02:40 PM   #9
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

enthusiasm

Old 12-31-2007, 03:31 PM   #10
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I've been very happy with the spurless bradpoints I get from Fuller drill, though I have not tried it Paul's way with the aircraft bits and his points make good sense.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:45 PM   #11
togue
Pluggin' Addict

I have been playing around with both brad point and aircraft drills, and have been able to get the 1/8" sizes to work out well, but you have to clear the chips often and take your time.

I find a shorter brad point bit helps me get centered easier when I start out. A shorter drill bit also limits flex along the shaft, reducing walking of the bit. After I get my pilot holes started out good and straight, I switch to a longer aircraft bit to complete the job.

ProfessorM - Good tip, thanks for another good tool source! Sounds like you have everything anyone would need in your shop, right down to the Zircon encrusted tweezers!
togue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:17 PM   #12
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Yeah I have probably drilled a million holes and tapped 500,000 so far in my life. It is nice to have access to different options. I too use a short bit before I use longer ones. You can usually tell within the first 1/4" if you are going to be good on the thru wire holes. Usually if you start off good you will have no problems.