Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-21-2021, 04:26 AM   #31
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Look at the census data, the drop in white population and the increases in other ethnic groups and you can understand what’s happening in politics, no mistery there.

Last edited by Got Stripers; 08-21-2021 at 02:04 PM..
Old 08-21-2021, 10:30 AM   #32
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I think the 5 million first time gun purchases in 2020 is a more telling stat for that than the census.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 08-21-2021 at 02:30 PM..
Old 08-21-2021, 03:22 PM   #33
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I think the 5 million first time gun purchases in 2020 is a more telling stat for that than the census.
Well, now that we have a better idea of how many armed white nationalists are running around it's understandable people are concerned.
Old 08-21-2021, 04:21 PM   #34
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Yes, they’re everywhere, can’t swing a dead cat without hitting one.

I bet you there’s one under your bed right now.

The summer of love and calls to defund the police wouldn’t have anything to do with it.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:02 AM   #35
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Well, now that we have a better idea of how many armed white nationalists are running around it's understandable people are concerned.
yup, they will no doubt be responsible for all of the gun violence across America this weekend....let's check back on Monday and see...OK?
Old 08-22-2021, 11:56 AM   #36
Pete F.
Canceled

A little perspective on Afghanistan. For example more than 20000 people have been evacuated from there without a single loss of an American life. At same time 5000 Americans have died from Covid and 500 have died from guns.
Old 08-22-2021, 02:04 PM   #37
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
A little perspective on Afghanistan. For example more than 20000 people have been evacuated from there without a single loss of an American life. At same time 5000 Americans have died from Covid and 500 have died from guns.
this is obviously because there are no unvaccinated armed white nationalists are running around in Afghanistan....
Old 08-23-2021, 08:49 AM   #38
Pete F.
Canceled

Latest Afghanistan evacuation numbers from the White House this morning: From 8/22 at 3a ET to 8/23 at 3a ET, 28 US military flights evacuated ~10,400 people from Kabul and 61 coalition aircraft evacuated ~5,900 people. That brings the total to ~37,000 ppl evacuated since 8/14.

The win is that we are getting out, and getting people out, and by getting out freeing ourselves to defend our national interests in a manner where the means match the ends, and the ends match our interests.

Zero US casualties in the Afghanistan withdrawal. Zero.

Now tell me the alternate scenario, given that the State Department advised Americans to leave Afghanistan months ago, before the fall of Kabul & closure of the airport, what exactly is it that Biden should have done to force them to leave?

And one should think that after 20 years, if we haven’t inspired 89 million Afghans to oppose 100 thousand Taliban, what more can we do? We can’t stay forever; Afghan people need to determine their future, and we are evacuating what might be the strongest opposition.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-23-2021, 09:29 AM   #39
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Latest Afghanistan evacuation numbers from the White House this morning: From 8/22 at 3a ET to 8/23 at 3a ET, 28 US military flights evacuated ~10,400 people from Kabul and 61 coalition aircraft evacuated ~5,900 people. That brings the total to ~37,000 ppl evacuated since 8/14.

The win is that we are getting out, and getting people out, and by getting out freeing ourselves to defend our national interests in a manner where the means match the ends, and the ends match our interests.

Zero US casualties in the Afghanistan withdrawal. Zero.

Now tell me the alternate scenario, given that the State Department advised Americans to leave Afghanistan months ago, before the fall of Kabul & closure of the airport, what exactly is it that Biden should have done to force them to leave?

And one should think that after 20 years, if we haven’t inspired 89 million Afghans to oppose 100 thousand Taliban, what more can we do? We can’t stay forever; Afghan people need to determine their future, and we are evacuating what might be the strongest opposition.

You making up those numbers or your got a source to back them up ?
Old 08-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #40
detbuch

We should not have occupied Afghanistan to begin with. If they had Osama and wouldn't turn him over to us, we should have just carpet bombed that country and left a message on top of the rubble for the survivors and leaders that we would be back with more if they messed with us. I said that here on the forum way back then.

Having not done that, but intruding ourselves into their wonderful Islamic nation, we should only have done it after totally defeating the Taliban, totally wiped it out, then peacefully cleaning up the mess we made, and offer them assistance in rebuilding and occupying for a while.

We needed to leave. Maybe there was a better way. No opinion on that. Maybe there is a lesson to be learned. Islam is not peaceful. Nor is it compatible with our culture nor with democracy. Reforming it so that it would be compatible with Western values would be making it something totally different than it actually is.
Old 08-23-2021, 09:53 AM   #41
Pete F.
Canceled

So genocide would have been your solution, glad to know where you stand.
Old 08-23-2021, 10:19 AM   #42
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
You making up those numbers or your got a source to back them up ?
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...n-afghanistan/

For those who love to make historical comparisons, many of whom know nothing about history, the US military evacuated around 7k people from Saigon. The US military has already evacuated 37k people from Afghanistan. Bet you haven't read or seen that.

Last edited by Pete F.; 08-23-2021 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: ADD

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-23-2021, 11:33 AM   #43
wdmso

I am still puzzled when people insist there must have been a better way? when there clearly was a plan and it was told to the whole world Aug 31st .. we would be out! then the Afghan army cut and ran away throwing things into disorder It’s call the fog of war… Sure it’s ugly to watch but let’s be realistic if the Afghan army hadn’t ran we wouldn’t be in this situation, and it’s not our military might that is allowing us to keep removing people it’s the Taliban who is controlling it.. 5 well placed mortar rounds on the runway can stop everything..

the right keeps changing what upsets them 1st it was the optics ! then it was the fate of the poor Afghan women and young girls and translators! then it became equipment left behind which was the Afghan army’s equipment not ours ! then they are upset that same Afghans they were worried about leaving are coming to America ! And now they are upset we are speaking and dealing with the Taliban to insure Americans safety .. yet they cheered the last guy’s efforts..

You would think Republicans would be supporting what ever efforts are required to secure Americans and as many Afghans as we can.. but it seems they are more interested in doing what they do best complaining while providing no solution…. Other than drop bombs on foreheads and acting disappointed that there hasn’t been mass casualties
Old 08-23-2021, 12:16 PM   #44
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

let’s be realistic if the Afghan army hadn’t ran we wouldn’t be in this situation

victim shaming.....
Old 08-23-2021, 12:19 PM   #45
scottw

Quote:

the right keeps changing what upsets them …. Other than drop bombs on foreheads and acting disappointed that there hasn’t been mass casualties

Old 08-23-2021, 12:54 PM   #46
scottw

Quote:

the right keeps changing what upsets them
damn right-wingers!

Former prime minister Tony Blair, slammed President Biden’s chaotic withdrawal from the country on Sunday.

“The abandonment of Afghanistan and its people is tragic, dangerous, unnecessary, not in their interests and not in ours,” Blair wrote in a statement published on his organization’s website.

Blair’s comments come after Biden denied at a press conference Friday that America’s reputation has been damaged and that U.S. allies have lost faith in our ability to conduct foreign policy amid the botched Afghanistan pull-out.

The former prime minister criticized the U.S. departure from Afghanistan as a politically motivated appeasement to constituents.
Old 08-23-2021, 01:11 PM   #47
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
damn right-wingers!

Former prime minister Tony Blair, slammed President Biden’s chaotic withdrawal from the country on Sunday.

“The abandonment of Afghanistan and its people is tragic, dangerous, unnecessary, not in their interests and not in ours,” Blair wrote in a statement published on his organization’s website.

Blair’s comments come after Biden denied at a press conference Friday that America’s reputation has been damaged and that U.S. allies have lost faith in our ability to conduct foreign policy amid the botched Afghanistan pull-out.

The former prime minister criticized the U.S. departure from Afghanistan as a politically motivated appeasement to constituents.
Maybe the Brits should have stayed after 2014, but remember when Sherlock Holmes met Dr Watson in the 1800s, the Dr had just returned from the war in Afghanistan.
Fiction but historically correct.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-23-2021, 01:22 PM   #48
wdmso

Quote:
damn right-wingers!

And what’s your point he’s not even American. And how was anything I mentioned not true
Old 08-23-2021, 01:24 PM   #49
wdmso

Quote:
victim shaming.....
Wow a 300k army are victims amazing
Old 08-23-2021, 01:26 PM   #50
wdmso

As mentioned Britain withdrew its last combat troops in 2014

So Blair really has no dog in the fight does he
Old 08-23-2021, 02:54 PM   #51
detbuch

Quote:
So genocide would have been your solution, glad to know where you stand.
Glad to make you glad. We committed genocide on the Nazis of WWII. It worked pretty well.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:24 PM   #52
scottw

Quote:

And what’s your point he’s not even American.

so?
Old 08-23-2021, 05:30 PM   #53
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Twenty years, trillions of dollars, almost 200K lives lost, now almost 50K evacuated without loss of life, the right and hawks are struggling for any win.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:52 PM   #54
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Glad to make you glad. We committed genocide on the Nazis of WWII. It worked pretty well.
We didn’t commit genocide in the Second World War, you’re as astute a history student as the Stable Genius.
The Taliban troops comprise about eighty thousand of the 38 million people living in Afghanistan.
The Stable Genius also was a proponent of genocide, birds of a feather ain’t ya

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-23-2021, 07:24 PM   #55
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post

Twenty years, trillions of dollars, almost 200K lives lost, now almost 50K evacuated without loss of life,

definitely a huge success...biden should get a nobel prize
Old 08-23-2021, 07:42 PM   #56
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
definitely a huge success...biden should get a nobel prize
You might be correct for once

As a marine who served in Afghanistan twice said, he can explain it in two sentences

One: For 20 years, politicians, elites and D.C. military leaders lied to us about Afghanistan.

Two: What happened last week was inevitable, and anyone saying differently is still lying to you.

Biden pulled the plug and it’s over.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-23-2021, 08:25 PM   #57
detbuch

Quote:
We didn’t commit genocide in the Second World War, you’re as astute a history student as the Stable Genius.

Genocide: "the deliberate killing of a large number of people from a particular nation or ethnic group with the aim of destroying that nation or group.

We killed a large number of Nazis in Germany with the aim of destroying that group. And we did.

The Taliban troops comprise about eighty thousand of the 38 million people living in Afghanistan.

The 38 million are under a similar forced or complicit loyalty to the Taliban as the German population was to the Nazis. The collateral killing of many German citizens, as in Dresden, was considered necessary to wipe out the Nazis. Our ally, Russia, was also good at killing Nazis and collateral other Germans. The German population did not disavow or rebel against the Nazis, but supported them. The Afghan people will support the Taliban. As they did before we occupied their country. Totally wiping out the Taliban, as was done with the Nazis, should have been done if our goal was to nation build there.

The Stable Genius also was a proponent of genocide, birds of a feather ain’t ya
No, I'm not a bird of a feather with Trump, I'm a bird of a feather with constitutionalists and anti-Progressives.
Old 08-23-2021, 10:05 PM   #58
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
No, I'm not a bird of a feather with Trump, I'm a bird of a feather with constitutionalists and anti-Progressives.
Over and over again, through history, you find the Right embracing violence and eventually dictatorship when the political tide turns and democracy is no longer in their favor.

That’s what we’re watching now. A rejection of institutions and a lust for authoritarianism.

Genocide which you claim is a solution will be the next step, perhaps you can explain just which other humans besides Muslims you think should be exterminated.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-23-2021, 11:34 PM   #59
detbuch

Quote:
Over and over again, through history, you find the Right embracing violence and eventually dictatorship when the political tide turns and democracy is no longer in their favor.

It's a leftist cliche that "the Right" embraces violence and dictatorship. It is in leftist lexicology wherein "the Right" is defined as dictatorial. But over and over again, through history, as you put it, dictators, violent or otherwise, have been defined as "the Left" as well.

That’s what we’re watching now. A rejection of institutions and a lust for authoritarianism.

And it is evident, worldwide, that it is currently what is referred to as "the Left" which has been rejecting institutions and foundations and linguistic meaning and history and local and national cultures and fundamentally transforming societies and governments with an authoritarian lust.

Genocide which you claim is a solution will be the next step, perhaps you can explain just which other humans besides Muslims you think should be exterminated.
I was not in favor of going to war with the Taliban. My preference is to make this country too strong to mess with and use whatever force necessary against those who would do us harm. Exterminating those who want to exterminate us doesn't prick my conscience.

But if you go to war, then achieve total victory. If you want to call that genocide and that word horrifies you, then avoid war. And pray that your pacifism will shield you from those wolves who would prey on your flock and utterly destroy you. Islam has a built in mission to place the world in submission to it. And not by friendly mutually satisfying terms. It is methodically doing that now to non-Muslims in territories in Africa and the Middle East that are under Islamic control.

I would shed no tears if the Taliban were totally exterminated.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:13 AM   #60
scottw

Quote:

somebody needs a therapy session....