Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #31
Pete F.
Canceled

It was a conservative belief, way back in the time of WFB jr that manners and mores mattered.
The core belief was that life is based on the family and family values mattered, that setting a good example for your children and the people around you was of importance.
That service to your family, community and church was valued and was recognized by your peers as of value.
That while laws are needed, they matter little to people of character because they would break few of them anyways.
That civil discourse was needed for our society to succeed and that all that contributed to it on any side are important.
I see little of that in the Republican Party of today.
It's fine to condemn the other side but the first responsibility is to police yourself.
A wise man can hold his tongue, but at some point you become complicit.
If bigotry and racism become normal, then it is the silent majorities fault and burden to bear.
So you need to think about whom you choose to lead, what they say matters.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
That while laws are needed, they matter little to people of character because they would break few of them anyways.
That civil discourse was needed for our society to succeed and that all that contributed to it on any side are important.
I see little of that in the Republican Party of today.
given where you must look to
get your news, it’s no shock that you see little of that. you can’t form
your entire opinion of republicans, based on what someone says who hates republicans.

go eat lunch at a chick fil
a, go hang out with people
who volunteer to read to sick children at catholic hospitals. turn off msnbc for
a moment.

what could the gop do regarding trumps behavior, that would satisfy you? should they have him assassinated?

they aren’t going to commit political
suicide, nor should
they. regarding his go back to where they come
from remark, graham said trump
should stick to criticizing their marxist agenda and a higher with his behavior. i’m fine with that. as you would
be if hilary had won and she behaved atrociously.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #33
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
It was a conservative belief, way back in the time of WFB jr that manners and mores mattered.
The core belief was that life is based on the family and family values mattered, that setting a good example for your children and the people around you was of importance.
That service to your family, community and church was valued and was recognized by your peers as of value.
hmm, funny, but those are pretty much Jim's core values, as well as most of the people on this board. But because they havent lost their GD minds over Trump, they're just Alt-Right/Trumplicans.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #34
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

i’ll ask again. is it racist to say that Somalia is a dysfunctional country with a crime problem?
Why ask a question that has no relevance with the topic? Or what Trump said .. when you explain your rationale i will happly answer your question. Ive been to many places in the world id call #^&#^&#^&#^& holes and for many different reasons
Old 07-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #35
Sea Dangles

Many folks here like to criticize without giving back. Soup kitchens need help in every town still,but let’s use that money for housing criminals at the border instead of preventing the illegal actions. Inner city charities need sponsors and tax and spend isn’t going to help. Must be Trumps fault.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #36
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Why ask a question that has no relevance with the topic? Or what Trump said .. when you explain your rationale i will happly answer your question. Ive been to many places in the world id call #^&#^&#^&#^& holes and for many different reasons
it’s very relevant, trump said that their home countries were broken and crime infested, and people are saying that comment was racist. the only one not born here, is from somalia.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #37
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
hmm, funny, but those are pretty much Jim's core values, as well as most of the people on this board. But because they havent lost their GD minds over Trump, they're just Alt-Right/Trumplicans.
agreed and thanks.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:05 PM   #38
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

If Trump recent comments have shocked you, clearly you haven’t been paying attention, it’s just more of the same. Get under his skin and his MO is personal attacks, it’s so predictable I wish there were lottery tickets I could play gambling on who he would attack next💰💰💰
Old 07-15-2019, 05:23 PM   #39
detbuch

Quote:
Are we supposed to take him seriously but not literally but maybe figuratively and also jokingly and perhaps hypothetically but never ironically or always cynically?
Depends on the context. Well . . . for a normal person context would matter. For you the context re Trump is always that he's a racist or one of the phobes or stupid, and always that he is dangerous.

I find him to be a refreshing divergence from the politics as usual that has mostly been a slow erosion of our country's wealth, power, spirit, optimism, and love of freedom, into a debt ridden, self doubting, apologetic, splintered nation of a constantly growing number of government dependents envious of those who succeed beyond the lower middle, and who, along with the anemically educated, social justice indoctrinated intellectual lightweights, are the useful idiots that help drive the transformation of this nation into the Progressive promised land of security and happiness for all--brought to you by our god-like infallible experts who will never fail to give you what you need--what you really need, not your stupid little wishes and desires, you silly boy.

Trump gave us a little reprieve from the anesthetizing media and political mental massaging "good" narrative that molded us into the new age people of the planet, the globe, the world "community."

But, because he frightened them, perplexed them, somehow beyond reason, beyond anything they could comprehend, he somehow defeated their good global person, he brought forth from the depths of this soulless "community" its brainwashed human harpies who screech bad words--racist, homophobe, thisphobe, thatphobe, sexist, misogynist, hater, Nazi, fascist--at him and at those who preferred him to one of their own good "world" persons. And even sometimes, like robots from their hellish bowels, some come forth with black masks and beat his supporters with rods and fists and throwing concrete laden "milk shakes" in their faces and screeching the bad words at them.

So, because Trump has somehow reverted America back to its selfish, jingo, nation centered, capitalist, outmoded individualist, successful, unapologetically wealthy and powerful place and people, the bad words cannot stop. They must continue and grow. They must be thrown at everything he says and does. Every day, every hour. He must be impeached. He must be convicted. He must be removed. He is DANGEROUS.

So how are we to take you?
Old 07-15-2019, 05:40 PM   #40
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Wow someone really needs to seek help, too much coolaid has really caused harm, but hey I love how your constantly looking for the next wordsmith post to strut your stuff; always makes me smile.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #41
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Wow someone really needs to seek help, too much coolaid has really caused harm, but hey I love how your constantly looking for the next wordsmith post to strut your stuff; always makes me smile.
Your profound little sentence made me smile too. Hey . . . we're good for each other.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:38 PM   #42
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

In my corporate past if Trump were not the owner or CEO and made those comments about fellow workers, guess who would be meeting with the HR director shortly after, in the hopes the company wouldn’t be facing a legal issues. Hey I’m happy he stepped in it, because while he may have gotten a high five from the old wonder bread he is preaching to, he may have stopped the infighting on the left and he certainly screwed himself on a major voting block.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:02 PM   #43
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
it’s very relevant, trump said that their home countries were broken and crime infested, and people are saying that comment was racist. the only one not born here, is from somalia.
Three of them are native born Americans. Are you agreeing with Trump saying America is a country whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-15-2019, 07:22 PM   #44
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
In my corporate past if Trump were not the owner or CEO and made those comments about fellow workers, guess who would be meeting with the HR director shortly after, in the hopes the company wouldn’t be facing a legal issues. Hey I’m happy he stepped in it, because while he may have gotten a high five from the old wonder bread he is preaching to, he may have stopped the infighting on the left and he certainly screwed himself on a major voting block.
So you're saying the owner or CEO could make those comments? Hmmm . . . . So it's not the comments, it's who makes them. If a Dem pol said something like that about some "racist" or "Nazi" Republican Trumplican politician, that would probably be OK with Trump hating folks.

Personally, I don't see what's so outrageous about Trump's full tweet. It certainly wasn't racist. Calling it racist is hogwash. To begin with, countries are not races. And they were personal, said to specific persons, not to generalized races.

And those specific persons, in the eyes of many, deserved a dressing down. When Pelosi called them out, she did so because they deserved it. And the notion that the countries that their parents ran from, and which Trump criticized, are consistently defended by the ladies against US actions, including US wishes to equalize trade with, or get cooperation on illegal immigration, or defending Israel, it makes one wonder where those ladies loyalty resides. And if there is more loyalty in the hearts of those ladies to their ancestral countries than to the US, I would applaud the ladies if they spent their energies and comments on improving the condition of those countries. I have often thought that those who flee their countries in droves to come here because where they came from are chitholes, that it would be better for all of us, including those they left behind, if they had stayed and fought to make their homeland what they want this country to be.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:39 PM   #45
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
given where you must look to
get your news, it’s no shock that you see little of that. you can’t form
your entire opinion of republicans, based on what someone says who hates republicans.

go eat lunch at a chick fil
a, go hang out with people
who volunteer to read to sick children at catholic hospitals. turn off msnbc for
a moment.

what could the gop do regarding trumps behavior, that would satisfy you? should they have him assassinated?

they aren’t going to commit political
suicide, nor should
they. regarding his go back to where they come
from remark, graham said trump
should stick to criticizing their marxist agenda and a higher with his behavior. i’m fine with that. as you would
be if hilary had won and she behaved atrociously.
Have you read his tweets?
Have you watched his helicopter news conferences?
Watched his rallies?
Looked at news reports other than right of center?
I’m on two local government boards and the board of another organization. Hardly liberal organizations.
Sorry but There’s not one of those places where you claim correct thinking people assemble within 75 miles of me. I must be missing out by not going to fast food restaurants or being a catholic.
As far as his behavior it’s as easy as saying what you said is unacceptable. Politicians have done it for hundreds of years in this country. It’s ghastly that trump has such control of his minions in Congress that criticism is political suicide.
Lindsey Graham has gone from never trump to trump’s asskisser in two years because he’s scared. Watch the link I posted, nothing fake there but Lindsey.
As far as Hillary goes your reading comprehension must suck.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-15-2019, 08:01 PM   #46
Jim in CT

Quote:
Have you read his tweets?
Have you watched his helicopter news conferences?
Watched his rallies?
Looked at news reports other than right of center?
I’m on two local government boards and the board of another organization. Hardly liberal organizations.
Sorry but There’s not one of those places where you claim correct thinking people assemble within 75 miles of me. I must be missing out by not going to fast food restaurants or being a catholic.
As far as his behavior it’s as easy as saying what you said is unacceptable. Politicians have done it for hundreds of years in this country. It’s ghastly that trump has such control of his minions in Congress that criticism is political suicide.
Lindsey Graham has gone from never trump to trump’s asskisser in two years because he’s scared. Watch the link I posted, nothing fake there but Lindsey.
As far as Hillary goes your reading comprehension must suck.
So you judge the entire GOP, tens of millions of people, by the actions of one man, Trump. Sounds fair and rational.

Can I judge you based on what elizabeth warren says and does? Or AOC? Or Anthone Weiner? or Hilary Clinton?

"Lindsey Graham has gone from never trump to trump’s asskisser"

Graham bashed Trump just yesterday for his "go back where you came from" comments. Graham was very critical of Trump, just yesterday. Your issue, is that you divide the world into 2 groups...those as deranged and blinded with trump hatred as you are, and everyone else is a Trump asskisser. No in between, not with you. ANyone (like me and Graham) who praises him sometimes, and criticizes him sometimes, is a Trumplican. TDF nailed it. I'll probably stop responding to you, there's literally no point, your entire perspective is orange man bad, you have nothing else, you aren't capable of seeing or hearing anything else. Look at the threads you've posted since he got elected.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 07-15-2019 at 08:07 PM..
Old 07-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #47
Sea Dangles

Great response to an angry man. Homeschooling VT style doesn’t fly here.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:29 AM   #48
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
So you judge the entire GOP, tens of millions of people, by the actions of one man, Trump. Sounds fair and rational.

Can I judge you based on what elizabeth warren says and does? Or AOC? Or Anthone Weiner? or Hilary Clinton?

"Lindsey Graham has gone from never trump to trump’s asskisser"

Graham bashed Trump just yesterday for his "go back where you came from" comments. Graham was very critical of Trump, just yesterday. Your issue, is that you divide the world into 2 groups...those as deranged and blinded with trump hatred as you are, and everyone else is a Trump asskisser. No in between, not with you. ANyone (like me and Graham) who praises him sometimes, and criticizes him sometimes, is a Trumplican. TDF nailed it. I'll probably stop responding to you, there's literally no point, your entire perspective is orange man bad, you have nothing else, you aren't capable of seeing or hearing anything else. Look at the threads you've posted since he got elected.
I had to look to find what set you off, is this it? I’ll stand by it.
“So you need to think about whom you choose to lead, what they say matters.”

You keep insisting that if I despise Trump I must like liberal politicians.

Silly boy, I believe all Americans have the right to a political voice.

Trump doesn’t, as evidenced in his speech and his response to Grahams “criticism”.

“I disagree with Lindsey on that,” he said. “He said, ‘Aim higher, shoot higher.’ What am I going to do, wait until we get somebody else in a higher position, higher office? These are people that hate our country.”

I don’t find this acceptable, apparently you do.

AOC and I probably don’t agree on a single policy issue. But I don’t believe she “hates” America. I believe she & I believe in different America’s. And I will defend her right to say whatever she wants to say. And I will never demand she leaves this country because we disagree.

As I’ve said many times, I feel no need to praise Trump, he already claims more than he deserves.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-16-2019, 05:49 AM   #49
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Great response to an angry man. Homeschooling VT style doesn’t fly here.
Said the angry man
We didn’t but I’ve seen some very successful homeschooled kids grow up. Better than average students, parents efforts count.
School Board member 20+ years ago. I did a few terms, some as chairman.
Great rural school and one of the lowest per pupil costs in the state.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-16-2019, 05:53 AM   #50
Sea Dangles

PeteF. Take a step back and it is easy to see angry malcontents. They are the ones running around acting like chicken little. My sky is not falling. Similar to Trump,you beat your chest,again.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:13 AM   #51
scottw

democrats should stop electing communists and sending them to Washington

democrats are sad because trump thrives in the political sewer that they themselves created and presided over for so long....he's the monster that they created and now he's chasing them around the building ..in the political environment that the democrats have created....nice guys only get neutered...democrats hurl hurtful insults every day....quit whining
Old 07-16-2019, 06:15 AM   #52
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
democrats should stop electing communists and sending them to Washington

democrats are sad because trump thrives in the political sewer that they themselves created and presided over for so long....he's the monster that they created and now he's chasing them around the building ..in the political environment that the democrats have created....nice guys only get neutered...democrats hurl hurtful insults every day....quit whining
they absolutely created the septic tank that is DC, and then they are appalled when the right nominated someone who could
beat them at the game of fighting without rules. they assumed
we’d keep nominating nice but wimpy folks who could
not defend themselves in that arena. As always, they were wrong.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:33 AM   #53
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
democrats should stop electing communists and sending them to Washington..quit whining
Republicans who publicly venerate a former communist exKGB Officer have no right to call anyone a communist. They admire Kim Jong Un and Xi JinPin - both hardcore communists They’re literally commie lovers!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-16-2019, 06:34 AM   #54
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
.quit whining

Last edited by Pete F.; 07-16-2019 at 07:30 AM..

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-16-2019, 07:33 AM   #55
wdmso

Quote:
Only a true blue Trump enabler would defend Trump with the one not born here was.... what 11 years old when she came to the US .. and you and Trump fail to understand not being born here doesn't make you less of a citizen.. but clearly you feel that it does
Old 07-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #56
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Hey Trump claimed he is the lest racist person he knows and we all know he never lies, so he must have some really racist friends. If it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck it’s a fing duck. Now if you are current serving in the Senate and are republican, or have become drunk on the coolaid, you somehow see a swan. It Trump proving yet again who he is.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:01 AM   #57
Jim in CT

Quote:
Only a true blue Trump enabler would defend Trump with the one not born here was.... what 11 years old when she came to the US .. and you and Trump fail to understand not being born here doesn't make you less of a citizen.. but clearly you feel that it does
i’m not defending trump. i’ll go very slowly here, please try to follow the bouncing ball.

i asked if its racist to say that somalia is a dysfunctional country. ( answer- it’s not racist, because it is in fact a terrible place).

you said that question isn’t relevant.

i said it is relevant because it’s a part of his tweet that he’s getting slammed for.

now you say i’m defending him.

it was a stupid offensive tweet. but not racist.

and the more i think about it, the less of a problem i have, with telling 4 hens who clearly hate everything this country was founded upon, to get lost if they hate it that much. he shouldn’t have said go back where you came from, but if he said “you obviously hate everything the country is and stands for, so i have good news for you, you are free to leave”, id have been ok with that.

AOC is too stupid to be dangerous, she’s a harmless punchline, who i believe is actually doing more good for the GOP than could be done by any republican who could
ever win that district.

Omar is a very different animal. a reporter asked her if she would
condemn the antifa terrorist attack at an ICE facility he tried to incinerate, and she refused to condemn it, and i’m not making that up. that one is a manchurian candidate who loathes the country that took her in. she is scary. when you can’t condemn an obvious act of domestic terrorism, you have no business being in congress.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 07-16-2019 at 08:41 AM..
Old 07-16-2019, 08:08 AM   #58
Jim in CT

video of Omar refusing to condemn domestic terrorism, and that's not any kind of exaggeration.

the left never stops perpetrating the myth that trump refuses to condemn white supremacists. well here is Omar in all off her radically anti-american glory, refusing to condemn domestic terrorism.
that could have killed dozens. how in christ’s name did this one get elected.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...irebomb-attack
Old 07-16-2019, 08:12 AM   #59
scottw

Quote:

and you and Trump fail to understand not being born here doesn't make you less of a citizen.. but clearly you feel that it does

this is the message the democrats keep sending to the folks sneaking into the country or coming in as a result of our generosity and refusing to leave
Old 07-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #60
Jim in CT

Quote:
and you and Trump fail to understand not being born here doesn't make you less of a citizen.. but clearly you feel that it does
i’ll give you $100
in cash if you can post anything i’ve ever said, that would
make anyone with an IQ of 50 or
higher, think that i feel that way. or
kindly admit you made it up. I’m serious, $100 in cash for
any evidence to support that bullsh*t claim you just made. i condemned what trump said, are you so slow and dim that you missed the 5 times
that i said it was an offensive tweet?

if anything, immigrants who come
here legally and become citizens, are better citizens, because unlike many of us, they don’t take the beauty and opportunity of this place for granted. they work hard, do the right things, and view education as a gift from god, many of them send their kids, first generation born here, to college. that’s the stereotype of the legal immigrant. that’s the ideal, classic, stereotypical immigrant, someone who grabs the opportunities we offer with both hands.

is that clear enough for you? or are you still a bit fuzzy?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 07-16-2019 at 08:39 AM..