Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 06-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #31
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I know what you mean Paul

I wonder if they realize they can't win the series if they don't win a couple in a row
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:11 AM   #32
Van
zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
If they got anything from Ray Allen or Paul Pierce it would have been an easy EASY win for us. How the heck on of the best shooters in the league makes zero shots in a whole game is beyond my comprehension. Glad to see Kevin play better but with the two best scorers doing zilch , there's just no way to make up their points.
I cannot figure out this team. But yes if Paul and Ray were on, and TA didn't get hurt it would have been a win.

Maybe it was jet lag. It can make you feel crappy.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #33
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van View Post
Maybe it was jet lag. It can make you feel crappy.
Hate to say it but....that's a lame excuse.

Lakers made the same trip.....and they didn't have the added benefit of playing in front of the home crowd to help cancel in out.

Celtics need to win the next to at home....period....or they are done. Personally I think they are already done. They just took any momentum they had and lost it with that loss

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #34
Van
zoom

Glen Davis is an animal !111111

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #35
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

This is certainly shaping up as a classic! Sunday is HUGE! We win and it's ours for the taking!

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #36
Saltheart

2 and 2. Not bad for the most unpredictable team I have ever seen. I just cannot figure the Celtics out this year.

I think the big 3 are due for a game where they all do well. I think a shooting exposion by Allen and Pierce in the next game puts us at 3-2 and then I think the series is ours. Who knows though. This is one strange basketball final series if you ask me.

Happy they won though , however they did it.

Go Celtics!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #37
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

It's our's now! Blood is in the water. FU Kobe!

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 06-14-2010, 07:35 AM   #38
Van
zoom

That was a shweet,,ugly,, but shweet win.

If they keep their foot on the gas and play tough D, its ours.
Its going to be a big change in officiating though.
My guess is early foul trouble for the Cs, not LA.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Old 06-14-2010, 09:01 AM   #39
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Anyone else notice when Kobe was scoring 23 in a row, that the Celtics lead grew by 8 points? Because the announce team sure as hell didn't! They were too busy hanging from Kobe's jock and singing his praises about how awesome his offensive output was. But once another Laker finally scored the Celts were up 13.

Not a knock on Kobe, BTW. That was fun to watch. But I hope they make him one-dimensional again. It weakens the Lakers tremendously.
Dad 818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #40
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Kobe can do that again over and over if he wants cuz the series will be over in 6. He's showing his true form, selfish, whining, and his teammates generally don't seem connected to him when he goes off on these scoring runs. Big difference in the two teams chemistry wise. If one of the Big 3 of anyone else for that matter goes on a scoring binge the Celts will put the ball willingly in that players hands and the team is happy to do it(Allen game 1, Bench players game 4). LA goes into watching mode(watching Kobe) and when it's time to run the offense or make a shot they can't. Keep it up Kobe! You're the best! 2 reasons why I loathe this guy, 1st is he plays on the Lakers(shallow, I know), 2nd being he's a rapist and is glorified by the league.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 06-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #41
FishermanTim

I found the announcers to be rather lame, prejudiced fools.
One point that stuck in my mind was when Ray tried a 3 pointer as the 24 sec clock was winding down.
He missed, but Perkins was there to collect the rebound.
These tv tools wouldn't stop jammering about how it looked like it didn't hit the rim TO THEM, even AFTER the officials made their ruling.
Between that and their incessent drooling over the almighty Kobe, I felt like I was watching the SOX in the 2007 World Series and the best that MLB could dig up for FOX25's broadcast was Joe Buck.

Next game, I'm going to turn off the sound and listen to the radio instead. At least they know what they're talking about, and aren't having impure thoughts about Kobe on the air!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #42
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
I found the announcers to be rather lame, prejudiced fools.
One point that stuck in my mind was when Ray tried a 3 pointer as the 24 sec clock was winding down.
He missed, but Perkins was there to collect the rebound.
These tv tools wouldn't stop jammering about how it looked like it didn't hit the rim TO THEM, even AFTER the officials made their ruling.
Between that and their incessent drooling over the almighty Kobe, I felt like I was watching the SOX in the 2007 World Series and the best that MLB could dig up for FOX25's broadcast was Joe Buck.

Next game, I'm going to turn off the sound and listen to the radio instead. At least they know what they're talking about, and aren't having impure thoughts about Kobe on the air!
You sound like a homer. That 3 from Allen barely touched the rim. As for Kobe, were you even watching him? I can't stand him, but some of the shots he made were unbelievable. The one handed tip in? The fade away three while being double teamed? The three he made from about 5 feet behind the line? Kobe was the best player on the floor last night. Did you think the announcers sucked when they were gushing over Allen making 7 consecutive 3's in game 2? Half the time, Van Gundy sounds like he's being paid by the Celtics and not the network.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #43
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
You sound like a homer. That 3 from Allen barely touched the rim. As for Kobe, were you even watching him? I can't stand him, but some of the shots he made were unbelievable. The one handed tip in? The fade away three while being double teamed? The three he made from about 5 feet behind the line? Kobe was the best player on the floor last night. Did you think the announcers sucked when they were gushing over Allen making 7 consecutive 3's in game 2? Half the time, Van Gundy sounds like he's being paid by the Celtics and not the network.
And all the while, the lead grew once Kobe tried to take over the game. And that never entered the commentary to interrupt the Kobe slurp fest. Every break was punctuated by that idiot Mark Jackson's Stuart Scott impressions. "Momma, dat dere is a bad, bad man". Yeah great Stewie Jr, but have you checked the scoreboard? And yes Kobe was the best player on the floor, but last I checked the C's have eliminated DWade, The King and Superman all of whom were the "best players on the floor" Kobe is much more dangerous scoring 25, dishing out 8 assists and grabbing 8 boards than he is scoring 38 pts and having his teammates watch.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #44
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Quote:
You sound like a homer. That 3 from Allen barely the rim
But it did, and after the refs called it one of the guys calling the game said "We've seen it from 4 different angles, and that last one looks like it didn't hit the rim" So what about the other 3? And while it barely hit the rim, the rotation definitely changed, even on the "last angle".
Old 06-15-2010, 08:42 AM   #45
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad 818 View Post
And all the while, the lead grew once Kobe tried to take over the game. And that never entered the commentary to interrupt the Kobe slurp fest. Every break was punctuated by that idiot Mark Jackson's Stuart Scott impressions. "Momma, dat dere is a bad, bad man". Yeah great Stewie Jr, but have you checked the scoreboard? And yes Kobe was the best player on the floor, but last I checked the C's have eliminated DWade, The King and Superman all of whom were the "best players on the floor" Kobe is much more dangerous scoring 25, dishing out 8 assists and grabbing 8 boards than he is scoring 38 pts and having his teammates watch.
It's just amusing to me that Boston sports fans (and I'm one myself) think all announcers and refs are against their team if they complement anyone on the other team. Have you read what Laker fans think of the announcers? These guys have has been pretty even handed with their praise of both sides. Again, think back to game 2 and what they were saying about Ray Allen. I think Mark Jackson wanted to give him a back rub at halftime. It goes both ways and fans (especially Boston fans) are gonna get pissed if they praise someone on the other team for playing well.

And I agree with your point about Kobe. I'd rather see this turn into the Celtics team agains the Kobe Bryant one man show. The Fakers have no chance if that happens.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #46
Saltheart

Quote:
Pierce was the best basketball player on the floor. Kobe was the best shooter , just one aspect of the game. The best player us the guy who plays the roll his team needs to win. I totally agree that Kobe is a nightmare when he does 25 points , 12 rebounds and 12 assists. he can throw the ball through the hoopp all he wants and we still win. Its when he has those rare team palyer moments that he's dangerous.

I got a feeling this is it tonight. I think the celtics blow them out of the water by 20 or more points. First big run by the Celtics and LA will give up and take it like punks the rest of the game.

I really would like to see a game 7 as a fan but as a Celtics fan I want to see them just pound on them tonight.

Oh yeah , forgot to add.....we had no problems with the announcers when Cousy and Heinson were doing the announcing

I actually like the idea of doing the TV picture and radio announcers. Haven't done that since Johnny Most stopped doing the games. What I don't ubderstand is why we don't get Marv albert for the finals. I know they had the eastern /western playoff announcing teams and he did the west but why isn't he there doing the finals? Love him or hate him , that guy knows basketball!

Last edited by Saltheart; 06-15-2010 at 12:39 PM..

Saltheart
Old 06-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #47
fishbones

Quote:
Pierce was the best basketball player on the floor. Kobe was the best shooter , just one aspect of the game. The best player us the guy who plays the roll his team needs to win. I totally agree that Kobe is a nightmare when he does 25 points , 12 rebounds and 12 assists. he can throw the ball through the hoopp all he wants and we still win. Its when he has those rare team palyer moments that he's dangerous.

I got a feeling this is it tonight. I think the celtics blow them out of the water by 20 or more points. First big run by the Celtics and LA will give up and take it like punks the rest of the game.

I really would like to see a game 7 as a fan but as a Celtics fan I want to see them just pound on them tonight.

Oh yeah , forgot to add.....we had no problems with the announcers when Cousy and Heinson were doing the announcing

I actually like the idea of doing the TV picture and radio announcers. Haven't done that since Johnny Most stopped doing the games. What I don't ubderstand is why we don't get Marv albert for the finals. I know they had the eastern /western playoff announcing teams and he did the west but why isn't he there doing the finals? Love him or hate him , that guy knows basketball!
I agree. I should have said Kobe was the best offensive player on the floor. He can be great defensively, but I think he was worn out from throwing up so many shots on Sunday. Pierce was great for about 3/4th of the game. He lost focus a little offensively when he wasn't getting the ball, but he played defense all night. The walking off the floor pouting with 5 seconds left in the half was unacceptable, but these guys are competitive and I can understand him wanting the last shot.

I hope they finish it off tonight. Game 7's can be a bit scary because you never know what can happen. I think the Celts can win big tonight, too. I feel like the Celtics are getting more confident while the Fakers are getting more desperate. If Bynum can't play or is ineffective again, the Celts win this one tonight.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #48
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

$4!t !!! Sleep and fish or watch?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #49
Slipknot
Super Moderator

all 3 John

but sleep less

GO CELTICS!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #50
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Uugggghhhhhhh

Perk is hurt

where is the defense
no defense, no offense

SCORE SOME FREAKIN POINTS WILL YA
Old 06-15-2010, 10:13 PM   #51
MrHunters
What was that!?!

not tonight... what a joke. guess that cross country trip IS tough on the older legs.
Game 7 should be one hell of a game.
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #52
Van
zoom

This is like the 5th time I've posted that:

I CANNOT FIGURE THIS TEAM OUT.

I know it messes up the rythym when they lose a star (Perkins).
But asdie that they played like a high school team !!!!!

I don't have a good feeling about game 7.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 AM   #53
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I told ya....Lakers want it more....I wouldn't bet the house on game 7.\

That was pitiful last night

I reeeeaaaallly hope I'm wrong....but I doubt it

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #54
Slick Moedee

Here we go...

Game 7, no more excuses step-up or step aside.
Slick Moedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #55
Saltheart

That was ugly!!

They were tired , its as simple as that. No zip , no jump , just putting the time in. I honestly think the long flight messes with them. Tes its the same for both teams but LA had a lot more motivation and mostly younger people. Its not an excuse , its just a fact , those guys had no gas in the tank last night.

So they get a couple of days rest and play for all the marbles.

Is too bad Perkins got hurt. To miss the 7Th game will be a heartbreaker for him. As far as the team goes , I actually prefer to see Rasheed out there but he needs to stay out of foul trouble. The best part of having 3 big subs is they can play all out and rough becasue they have 18 fouls between them. So lets hope rasheed has the shooting touch Thursday.

I could find something bad to say about each player but what's the sense , they were just pooped. One think that gets lost in the final stats is the huge rebound advantage when the tok the 10 point lead. At that point it was 22 to 7 on rebounds. Thats 3 to 1. By the end it was still a 15 or so gap but it was down to like 3 to 2. They got to rebound. There was a time when the single most important statistic as far as indicating winner was offensive rebounds. Rebounds is all about hussle and they just didn't have any.

We all wanted a 7th game anyway . Should be an exciting night tomorrow!!
Go Celtics

Saltheart
Old 06-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #56
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

Saltheart.......... Feeling You!!!! Celtics need ride the train out out the darkness and into the light!!!
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #57
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

that sucked, but did allow me to get some sleep. They will win Thursday. LA shot their load last nite.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #58
Van
zoom

Quote:
I honestly think the long flight messes with them.
TDF said that's a lame excuse. But I've done that trip a few times and felt like crap the next day.

Quote:
Is too bad Perkins got hurt. To miss the 7Th game will be a heartbreaker for him. As far as the team goes , I actually prefer to see Rasheed out there but he needs to stay out of foul trouble. The best part of having 3 big subs is they can play all out and rough becasue they have 18 fouls between them. So lets hope rasheed has the shooting touch Thursday.
Interview with Perkins on the news, he said it is taking a mental toll more than physical. I thought he was going to cry. Really too bad. He might be OK to start playing next season.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Old 06-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #59
Goose

Yeah the celt's proably took the bus to LA and the lakers took a jet.....lol
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #60
Saltheart

This is it! Tonight we watch one of the rarest and best match ups in sports , the Celtics and Lakers in game 7 of the finals. Think how lucky we are to be alive for such an event. You'll never see a Redsox , Yankees 7 th game in the world series which is the only possible pairing that could compare.

I know what I'm doing tonight and it ain't fishing!!

Go Celtics!!

Saltheart