Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 06-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Banner 18 Thread!

Alright, here we go again with a chance to beat LA! What do you think this series is going to be like? My prediction is it is going to be really physical, chippy, maybe a fight or two and a classic. I think the Celts can take this in 6 but it's going to be tough, every game down to the last possesion, maybe an OT or 2. Rondo has to stay in the game healthy though, he's the difference maker. Otherwise I think we match up well.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
FishermanTim

I like the Celts' chances, but the team has to stay healthy.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Saltheart

Should be a good series. Got to play a lot of D. Break up Bryants scoring and his whole game goes to hell. Now I don't mean anyone can shut him down completely but limit him to a low shooting percentage and his game goes bad as he puts all his effort into scoring. Beat him and you beat them.

For us , we definitely need to see Rondo at his best and we need something from Kevin Garnett. Something , anything , please!

Whatever happens it is one of the biggest events in sports , like The sox against the yankees , Celtics against the Lakers is a real treat for the fans.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Wow, not much action on this thread. I guess going to the championship 20 something times doesn't interest many people here???? I'll watch every minute. Go Celts! Can't wait for tip off!

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 06-04-2010, 05:36 AM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Uggggghhhh
not the way I'd like to have seen game one go

they need to step it up

losing game one really whacks it
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

pretty dismal effort. Look at it this way they can't offer any worse of an effort. Refs didn't help either. Rebounding killed us. Really didn't see anything positive in any aspect of the game. A real stinker for C fans. Hopefully they got that out of their system and will play like they are capable of. Let it go, have a memory like mine, short, and get the second one. A split is perfect. God I hate LA. All the beautiful people make me want to puke.

Rhondo , paging Rhodo. Where are you???????

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Rhondo , paging Rhodo. Where are you???????

No Kidding! I'm confident they will show up for the next game.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 06-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
fishsmith
DDG-51

It was amazing they kept it as close as they did. Gasol did as he pleased, that's got to stop. but I'm glad he got called for his fake flop against KG.

Because of Ray Allens foul trouble he was a non factor, Rondo was in a funk and didn't make quality shots last night, KG couldn't buy a basket in the first half, and our shooting from the free throw line was dismal.

The tides have got to turn.

Lets get hope for a split and bring it home even.

GO CELTS!!!
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
Saltheart

Its one game. The commentators talked like it was the end of the series but it was just one game. We screwed up in the last few minutes of the first half. That was just mental with people relaxing for the end of the half too soon. got play all the minutes out. I thought they played almost even in the second half but by even I mean LA owned the 3rd quarter but we did the forth. Unfortunately the bad couple of minutes at the end of the first half and poor start in the 3rd put us in a bug hole.

One positive note is that they seemed to be able to bring garnet into play in the forth quarter. I hope that carries over into the next game.

Rondo took stupid pills before the game. Not only did he not do good , he looked down right bad. He's down by almost 20 and hes just standing outside letting the shot and game clock wind down?? What the hey!!

Wouldn't you like a team with 5 Paul Pierces though! That guy is one good ball player.

Unusual for Ray Allen to be in foul trouble , I don't think that will happen again.

Lets see what happenes in the next game. LA is expected to win at home , they have 3 more home games and we only need to steal one. Not time for panic yet.

Saltheart
Old 06-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #10
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

where are these %$%$%$%$in fouls. I guess we know who the refs have in this series. Come on one team is fouling that much more than another? give me a friggin break. These 2 games are not like any of the games we played in the eastern series. Let them friggin play for cripes sake. %$%$%$%$in refs are ruining this thing and pissing me off. Friggin candy ass west coast style crap. They better call it east coast style when we get back to our house. Bynum looks like second coming of Wilt for gods sake. Box his ass out. I'm going loose my mind.

Last edited by ProfessorM; 06-06-2010 at 09:46 PM..

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 06-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

yeah baby, everything was done to make them lose thIS thing and they came thru. Thank you SUGAR RAY Jesus Shuttlesworth

Old 06-07-2010, 04:52 AM   #12
Van
zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
where are these %$%$%$%$in fouls. I guess we know who the refs have in this series. Come on one team is fouling that much more than another? give me a friggin break. These 2 games are not like any of the games we played in the eastern series. Let them friggin play for cripes sake. %$%$%$%$in refs are ruining this thing and pissing me off. Friggin candy ass west coast style crap. They better call it east coast style when we get back to our house. Bynum looks like second coming of Wilt for gods sake. Box his ass out. I'm going loose my mind.

I hate when we have to beat a team and the refs in one game.

SHWEET WIN just the same.

Going to be a good series.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:01 AM   #13
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Now that's more like it! Now if we can we 3 in row and not have to go back to LA. I don't like how they change up the home vs away breakdown for the championship.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 06-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #14
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Lakers:

31 Free Throws Made
29 Field Goals Made

'nuff said!

And Phil Jackson had the balls to whine about the officiating after the game. I dislike him so very much.
Dad 818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #15
rwilhelm

Ray Allen was absolutely unbelievable!!! I hope they sign him for next year.

That was some of the worst officiating I have ever seen!!! It is a disgrace some of the calls they made. No wonder there were so many players in foul trouble when half the calls are phantom calls!
rwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #16
Saltheart

I enjoyed the game but I'm scratchin my head some. We totally out played them but we also had some bad moments. Letting them close the lead at the end of the first half is the same thing that happend in Game 1. We need to play all the way to the end. Dumb last 2 minutes , absolutely stupid last 30 seconds of the first half.

Anyway , I also hate seeing the fouls so one sided. call it tight , call it loose but call it the same for both teams. Way lopsided .

Ray Allen was "in the zone". Good thing too!

Still the same issues though. Rondo unpredictable. he played good but sometimes I wonder what is he thinking. I guess we can't expect anything from KG. I think he has no confidence now. Far better off with the subs in there if you ask me. The other thing I noticed a lot was the big guys getting in close to where they should take the shot but they pass off. The other guy isn't expecting a center or power forward to pass the ball when they get within 4 feet of the basket and lots of times the ball gets bobbled on the pass. Take the shots!

So we got the home court advantage now. That's all you could hope for. Didn't matter if we won game 1 or 2 as long as we took one in LA. Now lets see how they do on our court! I would really love to see Rondo and Pierce have good games at the same time. Would really be nice if it happened Game 3. They are due!

Oh yeah , the other thing i don't like and it must be to accomodate TV schedules or something....they get 4 days between games 1 and 2 in LA but have only 2 days between 2 and 3 despite the need to travel 3000 miles across the country for game 3. What's with that?

Saltheart
Old 06-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #17
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

yeah schedule is friggin stupid. KG is hurt I would say. Just doesn't look the same. Need to hack the crap out of Gasol. Play him hard like they did to Superman. Reason he is becoming so effective is the guys guarding him are in foul trouble so quick they can't play him like they want too, they have to be so tentative. Again refs are dictating the game. Granted he is a great talent and a very good outside shot be he is looking way too comfortable out there. he is a string bean compared to superman. Nice hard fouls to make him think twice about taking it to the hole without consequence. I just pray the refs allow them to play like they want too. Phil Jackass is a whiner and always has been. Thinks if he complains on TV he will get to the refs. maybe it works, thus the zen master tag, more like whine master.

Sorry I may be a little biased

Old 06-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #18
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Counting down to game time

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #19
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

going to be hard getting up at 4 tomorrow morning to go fish, especially if the refs call a crappy game and cause my blood to boil. I pray for a blow out by end of third quarter so i can whined down early.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #20
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Old 06-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #21
rwilhelm

Well the next 2 games are must wins for the C's now. Figures Garnett finally shows up and Ray Allen shoots 0-13. Lack of consisent play from the starting 5 is killing them.
rwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #22
luds
Night Stalker

I woke up feeling a little depressed today. I'm not sure if it really favored the Lakers but the officiating was horrible last night. Seemed like they were only calling light touch falls which IMO should not be called in the playoffs and then when someone got mauled they let it go. Drove me ballistic. If only Ray could have made a couple of his shots......... I'm might have to take a break from the next game. Sucks to give up a night of fishing or something else to watch them lose like that.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #23
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Stick a fork in them.......

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #24
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I think Fisher responded to both Ray Allens' performance last game and to Pierces' comment.
Ray was stone cold, good thing KG picked it up but it seemed those guys were tired a bit. Thanks to the bench we were still in it. They just made it a tougher road for them ahead I ain't giving up yet
Old 06-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #25
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
I think Fisher responded to both Ray Allens' performance last game and to Pierces' comment.
Ray was stone cold, good thing KG picked it up but it seemed those guys were tired a bit. Thanks to the bench we were still in it. They just made it a tougher road for them ahead I ain't giving up yet

I almost got the sense that they got stuck watching KG. He played in a manner that was unlike anything we've seen from him in a long time. I actually can't remember seeing him face up so many times in one game since he's been wearing Celtic green. Kind of like the rest of the team felt relief when he was dominating and just stood buy and watched and it took them out of their game.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #26
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

I'm sticking with my original prediction. Celts in 6. I still think they have it in them. Next game is the series.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 06-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #27
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by luds View Post
I woke up feeling a little depressed today. I'm not sure if it really favored the Lakers but the officiating was horrible last night. Seemed like they were only calling light touch falls which IMO should not be called in the playoffs and then when someone got mauled they let it go. Drove me ballistic. If only Ray could have made a couple of his shots......... I'm might have to take a break from the next game. Sucks to give up a night of fishing or something else to watch them lose like that.
Doc had a great quote after the game. "Maybe I will have to complain about the officiating, and see if it makes a difference. It seems to work when they do it"
Dad 818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #28
stcroixman

Lakers look like a younger, better, and hungrier team this time around guys
stcroixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #29
Saltheart

If they got anything from Ray Allen or Paul Pierce it would have been an easy EASY win for us. How the heck on of the best shooters in the league makes zero shots in a whole game is beyond my comprehension. Glad to see Kevin play better but with the two best scorers doing zilch , there's just no way to make up their points.

Saltheart
Old 06-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #30
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I'm disgusted with the type of game the refs are calling in this whole series so far, for both teams. It's the friggin finals for the luv of mike. Let them play. Like stated above this touch foul crap is so menial. If they guy gets beat to the ground then have at it with the whistle. The games are not being called anything like the games we played against the other eastern conference teams. It really takes the entertainment value right out of the series and makes it real tough for either team to get into any type of flow without a whistle. I like up and down action. This series is mostly turning into a free throw shooting competition. On top of that the Celts just looked horrible. Their half court offense was terrible and without any outside shots it looked even worse. They played so bad, except for KG, but were in it at the end. If, and a big if, they ever get the whole team playing on the same page it should be a blow out, but they better get going or it will be over quick. This team just perplexes me. So good one game, so bad the next. I am not feeling good about the rest of the series. LA just looks hungrier so far.