Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks

How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks How-To's, Tips & Tricks plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) **** Please Do Not Start Discussions or Ask New Questions in Here **** This is for popular Threads To be moved here for easy access & discussion. Post all new questions in main Stripertalk Forum

Old 12-27-2006, 06:12 PM   #1
cow tamer

How to Store a Lot of Plugs

I came up with up with a simple idea for plug storage. Get a large plastic storage box that is deep enough for your longest plug (eg.32Lx20Wx14D). Purchase five 36L 1/8 dia. metal rods and drill holes in the container for it, just under the cover's lip. Purchase a 24 L 3/8 dia. rod and drill for a center spine to support the center of the five other rods. (Rods may need to be cut to length.) Now your ready to hang your plugs.
cow tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
WoodyCT

Tangles?

Sounds simple and cost effective, but I can picture a huge tangled mass of plugs if you move it. I've been grappling with the same plug storage issue and come up with a decent solution. I use a large storage box also, but I then make compartments by notching foam board to make a grid of square tubes that the plugs hang in. The foam board is made by Elmers and sold at Staples for making displays. It is not water resistant, so don't use it for wet plugs. I plan to make a similar insert for the box out of the corrugated plastic sign board used for Pepsi signs often hung at gas stations. I'm sure sign makers have it for sale.
WoodyCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:27 PM   #3
Krispy

I use fish boxes and Plano 3700s. You can fit around a dozen 3700s into em.
The fish boxes are just about the most useful thing Ive found for storing all sorts of fishing stuff. And best of all I found all 7-8 boxes I have, washed up in the surf. (Found one on Sunday)
I keep 2 in the truck as well, one for wet wear and one solely for plugs and extra gear, and Ive used it to hold fish in a pinch when I didnt have a cooler on me.

Sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. - Morpheus
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I just acquired some dairy shipping containers with hinged lids and drains in the bottom. They stack great and three of them hold a bunch of Plano boxes

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:21 PM   #5
luds
Night Stalker

Milk Crates and PVC tubes is all you need. just have to put tall plugs in the top crate. put a plastic sheet or cardboard under the tubes on the bottom so the plugs don't tangle on bottom.
luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
pops

go buy a cheap plastic container $10 for this plastic corrugated board [like cardboard only plastic & wont rot] from a sign supply shop.

use a stanley knife/razor to cut opposite slots slide together presto takes 1/2 hr allow for top space of lips when hanging in slots made by cardboard ...this picture is before the last dividers are added to give a sense of the process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7434 copy.jpg (71.5 KB, 210 views)
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:05 AM   #7
WoodyCT

Hey Pops

Now that's what I was talking about! Nice job. I made my prototype, using the foam display board for dividers, with 2 inch tubes. I can get one large plug or 2-3 needles or Bombers into each slot. I used a fairly large box and it holds 70-90 plugs.
WoodyCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:18 PM   #8
pops

I made a smaller version too using the same layout, just ebayed a small plano tackle box etc....no $50 muskie lunker lure box for me !!
pops is offline   Reply With Quote