Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Etex How To/Plate Method

This is my method along with some great tips from muskeyslayer, it has helped me get super smooth epoxy with very little issues with bubbles/voids etc. got a bunch of pms about it so figured I'd share as I've learned so much from the guys on this site

Etex How To

I start by soaking the bottles in a bowl of very hot tap water.

While those are soaking, I get my work area ready, I put down newspaper so i can just throw the whole thing away after. I use 1" foam brushes, and throw them away when I'm done.

I do the flip method, so I put a rubber coated paper clip on each end, with a twist on each end so they stay on. I bend the other end Into a "c"

The epoxy should be nice and warm and it will be a little thin. Which helps it mix better and lay flatter

I always mix 2 TBS in a batch and use clear cups, I don't use syringes. I always pour the black cap first to 1 TBS, let it settle to make sure it accurate measurement.

Then I pour the white cap on top of the other epoxy, it will push into the other epoxy and start the mixing process.

I mix for 4 minutes, I stir one minute clockwise, then counterwise. Making sure to scrap the sides and not mix too fast, cause you will get a lot of bubbles which are a pain to get rid of.

This is the "plate trick"

While your mixing the epoxy, use a 6" plate add some water and microwave the plate for 1 minute. Let the water sit on the plate til your done mixing.

Dump the water off. Dry the plate and then cover with a double layer of aluminum foil. You should be able to feel the heat thru the foil, it should be warm or slightly hot, not enough to burn your hand.

Pour the epoxy onto the plate, making sure to get all the epoxy out of the cup.

The warmth from the plate will help the epoxy spread out and thin out, it also helps it cure faster.

I get 5 to 6 plugs per batch of epoxy, and I only have to flip the plugs two or three times.

The results are super smooth epoxy with no bubbles and even coverage.

Hope that helps.

Another option is to add some pearl or glitter into the epoxy. I prefer the pearls as they don't require a second coat of epoxy, like some of the glitters.

Last edited by chefchris401; 04-12-2013 at 10:05 AM..

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:52 AM   #2
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

score! thanks chris, I know what I'm going to try.

60 % of the time, it works every time.
johnny ducketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #3
iamskippy

Thanks Chef, i elected to purchaed a rod epoxy mixer with the bearing from mudhole, i dont get any to little bubbles right from the start and the mixing is consistent and easy while its mixing im doing other things.

The method you mentioned for the epoxy is one i use to use and its effective, guess im getting lazy in my old age.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

where do you get the pearl agent you're talking about? AC Moore or Michaels or somewhere like that?

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
N.ShoreFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Heating the bottles in hot water is key....
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

hi Chef, meant to ask also, what's the "flip method"?

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
N.ShoreFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

The pearls can be found at craft stores.

The "flip method" is for guys that don't use a spinner,
You hang the plug from a laundry rack or something,
Let it sit nose down for 5 or 10 minutes then flip it nose up for 5 to 10 minutes, until the plug doesn't have any sags of epoxy on it.

I have an electric heater under my rack system so the air is pretty warm and helps set the epoxy faster
Old 03-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
new jack

I like the heated plate idea. Will have to give that a shot. Thanks
new jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
pbadad

Chris explain the rubber paper? Plugs aren't wired?

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Billy should say "rubber coated paper clip" and yes the plugs are fully wired
Old 04-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
pbadad

Thanks Chris. It gets tricky handling while epoxying, no? I done about all the ways to coat. Large screw plant hook eyes has been my go to for a few years. Flipping took over the rotating shish ka bob. I screw the hooks into an unwired plug and hold on to the hook resting the rear hook for support while applying. I just coated my last batch with the baseball bat coating KBS. 2 coats. quick w/ foam brush. Recoat w/in 8-12 hours. Done. Hopefully the finish will hold. impervious to chemicals, water and hard as nails. With stands basdeballs pounding. A quart shipped 57.00. I think there is less material used than e-texbut the cost of e-tek8oz bottle kits are around 20.00 w/o discount coupon. too many way to skin a cat!!. I be keeping tabs on this finish and get back in a few months of my results. Smallish plugs are dipped. KBS Diamond Coat thinned w/the KBS thinner 10%.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
Killshot4you

I use a motorized drying rack for my lures. You can build one for about $100 but well worth it. I made my first one for about $120 but have since moved to more professional model.
Killshot4you is offline   Reply With Quote