Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 05-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Tuna Regs Update

Hello BBGFC Members and Friends!

Yesterday, there was a conference call for NMFS HMS Advisory Panel Members to discuss the Angling Category Bluefin Tuna Management options. The options up for consideration and discussion are below:

A. 1 school or large school BFT (1 BFT 27-59”) per day for all
B. 1 school BFT (27-47”) and 1 large BFT (47-59”) per day for all
C. Option A for private vessels and Option B for charter vessels

You will notice there is no option for small medium BFT (59-73”) as the 2010 Recreational sub quota appears to have already been landed in North Carolina. Further, the 2010 large medium/giant Angling Category sub quota appears to have been landed as well.

In approximately two weeks, the NMFS HMS Division expects to take an in season action and although it’s not in writing yet, it appears that there will be NO retention of small medium BFT (59-73”) and NO retention of medium/giant BFT (73” and larger) after that date for the remainder of 2010.

Looks pretty dim to me.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Mr. Sandman

Thanks for the update! Any mention of the General category or charter category (commercial) limits?
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
capecodkid

Think we'll see fish in that size range? Debating if its worth it to even fish them this year. Was going to load up on sea pups and wind ons but not sure now.
capecodkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
Thanks for the update! Any mention of the General category or charter category (commercial) limits?
Option B for the charter boats.

CCKid there are plenty of fish that will fit that slot limit out there. We saw plenty last year and the southern reaches were filthy with the next class of fish. Fish them and enjoy their majesty because we may not get the opportunity in the real near future.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

BTW Sandman that Mirage is why I go to work eveyday; to own one someday. Absolutely awesome and 99.9% of the board readers don't have a clue about the vessel and its capabilities you have. Lucky dog. Have a killer season.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
big jay

That's reasonable, and its not going to put anyone out of business (it won't be good, but it is liveable). If the science says we're knocking the sh*t out of that year class (and I believe we have been) and we need to back off - then we do what's right for the fishery.

As for availabily of the slot limit fish - there are plenty. I really think the idea that there weren't any out there under 60+ inches was just repeated over and over on the internet by alot of people that don't actually fish - I saw PLENTY.

While I'm on my soapbox - as far as the 27-47's go -if anyone thinks its a good idea to kill a tuna smaller than a keeper bass - they should be ashamed.
big jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
buckman

General is being lowered to 2 fish a day I think.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
chathamblue30
chathamblue30

Thanks for the info Matt !
chathamblue30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #9
clcharette
Get off my Rock

Looks like if we want to eat some of my tuna cakes we better head to the south side, plenty of 40-48" fish down there last year.
clcharette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:38 AM   #10
fish4striper

There were schools of smalls on the bank and jeffries last year along with the east of cape. We nailed a 45" on the bank.

As long as they don't totally close it down, catch and release would be fine with me.
fish4striper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #11
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

I think the areas I fish (Peaked Hill and SW Corner) won't be seeing many fish under 59". No tuna on the table this year.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #12
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
At least the NMFS HMS permit site had updated the date of information from 1/29/2010 to 5/2/2010:

News
last updated: 5/2/2010
2010 Recreational Atlantic Tunas Retention Limits

The current recreational daily bluefin tuna (BFT) retention for limit for HMS Angling and HMS Charter/Headboat vessels (while fishing recreationally) is 1 BFT/vessel/day/trip, measuring 27 to less than 73" CFL. These BFT retention limits are effective for all areas, except for the Gulf of Mexico. The Gulf of Mexico is designated as a spawning grounds for BFT and therefore NMFS does not allow vessels, commercial or recreational, to target BFT while fishing in this area. However, HMS Angling and HMS Charter/Heaboats are eligible to retain 1 BFT (73 inches or greater) per vessel per year as a “trophy” fish for the boat. This fish may be retained in the Gulf of Mexico if it is caught incidentally while pursuing other species. The recreational yellowfin tuna daily retention limit is 3 yellowfin/person/day/trip. The minimum size for yellowfin and bigeye tuna is 27" curved fork length. There are no recreational limits for bigeye, skipjack or albacore tunas.
Coastwide General Category BFT Fishery will reopen on 6/1/10

The fishery will reopen on June 1. Stay tuned as bag limits will be announced shortly.

https://hmspermits.noaa.gov/news.asp

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #13
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

PR Buzz,
The info I posted came out less than 72 hours ago. That is the most recent update. The current regs until posted are 27-72" for anglers.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #14
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
If option A for private vessels and option B for charter vessels turns out to be the regs I'm good with that.
Any rec who says it's unfair, look at the charts, the private vessels take FAR more fish.

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #15
big jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
I think the areas I fish (Peaked Hill and SW Corner) won't be seeing many fish under 59". No tuna on the table this year.
Oct/Nov last year had lots of fish in that class on both those spots. And there were a ton of them down the backside. Fishing ledge had serious #'s of 60-80 lb fish the entire month of october - and for 6 weeks (oct - nov) every afternoon there were 50-60 lbers chasing 1/2 beaks at the 1 cc bouy. One day at the end of Sept there were literally small fish busting bait as far east as I could see.

There will be plenty of fish for the table.
big jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #16
Slick Moedee

Through the greapevine

General category bag limit (comm.) change went through today. 3 fish/day 73" or larger starting on June 1. We should see it posted tomorrow.
Slick Moedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #17
beamie

This is the latest news I got today from a freind.......................standby, rumor has it this very well may change in a couple weeks.

Below is the latest tuna regulations.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recreational Atlantic Tunas Retention Limits
The recreational daily bluefin tuna (BFT) retention for limit for HMS Angling and HMS Charter/Headboat vessels (while fishing recreationally) is 1 BFT/vessel/day/trip, measuring 27 to less than 73" CFL. These BFT retention limits are effective for all areas, except for the Gulf of Mexico. The Gulf of Mexico is designated as a spawning grounds for BFT and therefore NMFS does not allow vessels, commercial or recreational, to target BFT while fishing in this area. However, HMS Angling and HMS Charter/Heaboats are eligible to retain 1 BFT (73 inches or greater) per vessel per year as a "trophy" fish for the boat. This fish may be retained in the Gulf of Mexico if it is caught incidentally while pursuing other species. The recreational yellowfin tuna daily retention limit is 3 yellowfin/person/day/trip. The minimum size for yellowfin and bigeye tuna is 27" curved fork length. There are no recreational limits for bigeye, skipjack or albacore tunas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(no tuna sales in the General category until Tuesday June 1.- Tom K)

Coastwide General Category BFT Fishery will reopen on 6/1/10

The coastwide General category BFT fishery closed at 11:59 p.m. on January 31, 2010. The fishery will reopen on June 1.

(the default position until the new rules for the general category come out would be 1 fish per day 73 inches and over could be sold. - Tom K)

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #18
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jay View Post
Oct/Nov last year had lots of fish in that class on both those spots. And there were a ton of them down the backside. Fishing ledge had serious #'s of 60-80 lb fish the entire month of october - and for 6 weeks (oct - nov) every afternoon there were 50-60 lbers chasing 1/2 beaks at the 1 cc bouy. One day at the end of Sept there were literally small fish busting bait as far east as I could see.

There will be plenty of fish for the table.
Good to hear big jay...you made my day

All I know is that we did not hook a single fish under 55" last year.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #19
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

New tuna regs for recreational for June 1 through August 31, 2010 are 1 fish per boat per day 27" to under 73". So for now, the rec's can keep a fish, but this could change.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:15 AM   #20
Van
zoom

Better than a full closure. They way the numbers were presented, we thought that could happen.

Fish are biting well. Superman Riptide hauled 73" over the rail on spin gear. Man he is good...

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #21
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
I'll say this.
It's gonna be pretty tough controlling these size fish boat side to get a measurement without doing damage to the fish.
We got a fish today, once we got it to the surface it looked in the 60 inch class.
After boating it realized it was bigger @ 72

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #22
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
I'll say this.
It's gonna be pretty tough controlling these size fish boat side to get a measurement without doing damage to the fish.
We got a fish today, once we got it to the surface it looked in the 60 inch class.
After boating it realized it was bigger @ 72
Make up a line attached to a big snap, make the line 73 inches long including a bright red piece of rag on the end. When you get the fish close to the boat clip the line to the fishing line and let it go. It will stream from the hook and tell you whether the fish is too big or not. No need for an actual measurement, you just need to know if its too big.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #23
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post
Make up a line attached to a big snap, make the line 73 inches long including a bright red piece of rag on the end. When you get the fish close to the boat clip the line to the fishing line and let it go. It will stream from the hook and tell you whether the fish is too big or not. No need for an actual measurement, you just need to know if its too big.
Nice hint Mike for measuring. I'll need to use it after I boat my 1st 73+. Now lets hope we ultimately don't have to tie the flag at 59"!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote