Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 08-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
Finaddict

How many are taking statins to lower cholesterol

So - met with my primary care today ... my cholesterol is currently 103 HDL and 66 LDL. He wants me below 100 and actually at 90. And wants to put me on statins (10 milligrams) ... because of my diabetes.

I have never heard anything good about statins, I know they can provide benefits but also provide a myriad of problems ...

.. anyone here taking statins with no problems yet and how much are you taking?

I will essentially have to take these for the next 40-50 years ... bu t again, would rather not if I an avoid it. I will say that I tried a vegan diet for three months, gave it up at the end of March of this year, and my HDL was only 83 - my doctor joked that statins are probably better for me than a vegan diet.

Any thoughts, insights you guys could share?

Thanks

"It was the blackest night! There was no moon in sight! (You know the stars ain't shinnin cause the sky's too tight) "
Finaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
FishermanTim

I read somewhere recently (not in a medical journal) that niacin is supposed to lower the bad and raise the good cholesterol.

I would take that with a grain of salt if only that didin't raise my blood pressure.....

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
I have tried most if not all the statin drugs with all giving various side effects. Niaspam was the worse for hot flashes and other, stopped that drug after only 3 weeks if I remember. Recent reports support avoiding niacin. Satin drugs take many weeks to manifest side effects, seemed each drug had different effects. Mostly muscle aches and pains but others not so obvious: heartburn, sensitivity to alcohol, etc. What I tell people on statins is if you feel something unusual, go off the statin for 5 days and see if things go back to normal. I refuse going forward to take any cholesterol lowering drugs. Doc's are just managing patients to meet the guidelines...everyone is different.
Every statin I did take lowered my numbers to within targets.

Dosage is statin dependent, 10 mg means nothing.

BTW: most people would love to have your numbers!

Last edited by PRBuzz; 08-22-2014 at 03:20 AM..
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #4
goosechase
goosechase

I've been taking a statin (20mg) for the last 2-3years (I think) along with a high blood pressure med (20mg) for the last 4-5years. I don't think I have any side effects, that I can think of, but if I do I wouldn't know which med to blame. Here's the thing with the meds, if the doc tells you to take them you need to think very seriously about your lifestyle and if you're willing to do EVERYTHING it takes to lower your cholesterol (blood pressure) if you don't take them. I played the game for a while and my dr. called me out because nothing changed when I said I was "exercising" and "changed" my diet. Now, I take the meds, I changed my diet, and really do exercise and my numbers dropped big time. Bottom line, if you're completely committed to changing your lifestyle and won't eat a steak, have some BBQ, have some eggs for breakfast, or a couple of drinks now a and then and your new diet is kale and glutin free food then don't take the statin. Otherwise, work with your dr. and find the right balance.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
goosechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #5
Raven

i am out of necessity STATIN Free....

it's a well KNOWN fact that they make you bleed internally
and for that to happen it has to eat a hole in your digestive tract lining

i had been taking motrin 800's for a long time for intense pain
then i developed what i call glass stomach meaning everything you
eat doesn't agree with you...

when i went for a colon-oscopy to identify the problem
i awoke on the gurney seeing the TV screen and viewing the
inside of my colon.... which had so many ulcers it looked
like the arm of an octopus with rows of suckers.

they administered more anesthesia but i had my ANSWER.
i dropped all NSAIDS and i feel wonderful again in my
digestive tract.

they are bad for your heart and can cause a stroke too.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

The muscle and joint pain was reason enough to stop taking them for me. As an aging contractor, I have enough of that...... Symptoms went away immediately.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #7
Finaddict

Thanks guys ... the doctor said there were three main benefits for me - lower my cholesterol, help clean my blood vessels and reduce inflamation of my blood vessels ... he said 10 milligrams was nothing and I wouldn't notice it ...

... but the effect of muscle pain and weakness somewhat counteracts why I am taking prednisone ... and that is bad enough ... but it's working and my sed/ced rate is going down which is good ...

... because that vegan diet was so effective, I may try that first ...

... I already eat a very good diet, although tonight I ate some garbage ... but other than that mostly organic and small amounts of food ... when I tend to eat eggs, they are just egg whites ...

... vegan diet is gassy ... but I may do a mix of vegan and healthy meats and vegetables to work on my cholesterol ... I am way too leery of the statins ... so far, most of what I heard above is not positive ...

"It was the blackest night! There was no moon in sight! (You know the stars ain't shinnin cause the sky's too tight) "
Old 08-23-2014, 05:48 AM   #8
Raven

you need to drink mint tea (dispels gas) and/or to take bromaine
by either taking papaya tablets or eating pineapple as a digestive aid.

Vegan diets are fine but you need COMPLETE protein and one food that truly delivers ALL the PROTEINS is Quinoa grain pronounced "keen wa" .
kinda looks like rice but it's smaller reminiscent of a cereal grain it can be
eaten as breakfast lunch or dinner. You can make a batch of it and store in the fridge. Check you tube for the nice girl videos and she shows how to make it.

Last edited by Raven; 08-23-2014 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: adding a link
Old 08-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
Finaddict

Thanks ... in lieu of statins, I may try Plant Sterols ... if I can get my LDL levels down 10%, I will be in good shape ... although those side effects may include heartburn, diarrhea, constipation and ED ... so can't find safety from anything these days ...

Old 08-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
Raven

http://www.puritan.com/krill-oil-341...av-_-Krill_Oil