Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #61
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Yes, threatening. LOL
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
That's better. I was worried about you.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:53 PM   #62
PaulS

Thanks, appreciate the thoughts.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #63
Sea Dangles

Get some fresh air
Old 02-21-2017, 07:26 PM   #64
PaulS

We have winter over stripers down here. Easy to catch if you know where to go.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #65
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
What he's doing isn't managing though... the fact that we're defending statements he's making a rallies 5 weeks into his presidency is crazy

He needs to stop the talk and start doing, and doing means more than a bunch of executive orders repealing stuff other people have done.

Just shut the f up and start doing some stuff.

Edit: And before anyone tries to say this stupid immigration executive order was him "doing something" it wasn't... it was just another "I'm gonna get rid of something" tactic.

We haven't seen one new Trump idea come out of this White House yet... and I think that's the way they like it... they get to defend being attacked by the media while they neglect actually doing anything.
"We haven't seen one new Trump idea come out of this White House yet."

Tell that to the Carrier workers whose jibs were saved. Jobs that Obama specifically said could not be saved.

He also picked a SCOTUS nominee that has conservatives thrilled.

And he has promised a new health care plan and a tax overhaul.

I don't like Trump at all. But he has done a lot in a few weeks.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:08 PM   #66
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"We haven't seen one new Trump idea come out of this White House yet."

Tell that to the Carrier workers whose jibs were saved. Jobs that Obama specifically said could not be saved.

He also picked a SCOTUS nominee that has conservatives thrilled.

And he has promised a new health care plan and a tax overhaul.

I don't like Trump at all. But he has done a lot in a few weeks.
Promise in your left, take a #^&#^&#^&#^& your right... tell me which one has stuff in it in the morning

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:31 AM   #67
Jim in CT

Quote:
Promise in your left, take a #^&#^&#^&#^& your right... tell me which one has stuff in it in the morning
Fortunately for me, I don't know what that means. But I disagree that he has no new ideas. Obama specifically said that the carrier jobs could not be saved, Trump did it. He is cutting regulations, instituting a hiring freeze. The wall, a healthcare overhaul, and a tax overhaul, may be coming soon.

You don't have to like the guy obviously. But to say that he isn't implementing any new ideas? I don't think that's accurate. You can fill the Pacific Ocean with legitimate criticisms of the guy. But I wouldn't say he isn't doing anything.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #68
detbuch

Quote:
Fortunately for me, I don't know what that means. But I disagree that he has no new ideas. Obama specifically said that the carrier jobs could not be saved, Trump did it. He is cutting regulations, instituting a hiring freeze. The wall, a healthcare overhaul, and a tax overhaul, may be coming soon.

You don't have to like the guy obviously. But to say that he isn't implementing any new ideas? I don't think that's accurate. You can fill the Pacific Ocean with legitimate criticisms of the guy. But I wouldn't say he isn't doing anything.
Maybe it's like--if I don't like an idea, it's not an idea.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #69
Ian
Idiot

Quote:

I don't want to pick at this, because the Carrier thing is "something", but didn't that happen before he was president?

Old 02-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #70
Jim in CT

Quote:
I don't want to pick at this, because the Carrier thing is "something", but didn't that happen before he was president?
Yes, it did. But Obama had absolutely nothing to do with it, and Trump/Pence did. But if you are willing to give Trump some credit for that, then I think you are more honest than the vast majority of folks who are deranged with hatred for the man. Trump brings a lot of that on himself, no doubt. My point was we can't judge him by ignoring the good things and only considering the bad things, and that's what a lot of people are doing. Not you at all, but many people.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:09 PM   #71
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Yes, it did. But Obama had absolutely nothing to do with it, and Trump/Pence did. But if you are willing to give Trump some credit for that, then I think you are more honest than the vast majority of folks who are deranged with hatred for the man. Trump brings a lot of that on himself, no doubt. My point was we can't judge him by ignoring the good things and only considering the bad things, and that's what a lot of people are doing. Not you at all, but many people.
(I'm not trying to call anyone out with this statement)

What other "good" ideas has he come up with? Mind you the comment reromises was that until some real plan is put forward, promising is as good as farting... it sticks around for 30-45 seconds and then dissipates. At least #^&#^&#^&#^& sticks to your fingers

Old 02-27-2017, 07:50 PM   #72
detbuch

Quote:
(I'm not trying to call anyone out with this statement)

What other "good" ideas has he come up with? Mind you the comment reromises was that until some real plan is put forward, promising is as good as farting... it sticks around for 30-45 seconds and then dissipates. At least #^&#^&#^&#^& sticks to your fingers
Presidents coming up with ideas usually leads to bad consequences for our liberties and our wallets. They're not really supposed to come up with ideas so much as they are supposed to execute the ideas of Congress (unless those ideas are harmful to the people and the Constitution). They're at their best (for us as a nation) when they see to it that we are defended against enemies foreign or domestic. When they preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. And when they nominate judges who will do the same rather than "interpreting" it to reflect their personal notion of justice.

Sure, they can make suggestions. Anyone can. Most politicians get ideas from the populace at large. Which is how it should be. The proper places for the creation of and demand for implementation of ideas on how to make our country "healthy, wealthy, and wise," are in the public forums, marketplaces, and minds of the people.

It is the duty of government to make it safe enough and free enough for the people to make the country work, and to create the ideas to make it so.

Last edited by detbuch; 02-27-2017 at 08:08 PM..
Old 02-27-2017, 08:14 PM   #73
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Presidents coming up with ideas usually leads to bad consequences for our liberties and our wallets. They're not really supposed to come up with ideas so much as they are supposed to execute the ideas of Congress (unless those ideas are harmful to the people and the Constitution). They're at their best (for us as a nation) when they see to it that we are defended against enemies foreign or domestic. When they preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. And when they nominate judges who will do the same rather than "interpreting" it to reflect their personal notion of justice.

Sure, they can make suggestions. Anyone can. Most politicians get ideas from the populace at large. Which is how it should be. The proper places for the creation of and demand for implementation of ideas on how to make our country "healthy, wealthy, and wise," are in the public forums, marketplaces, and minds of the people.

It is the duty of government to make it safe enough and free enough for the people to make the country work, and to create the ideas to make it so.
I think I'm comfortable accepting that, but that's not the platform he ran on.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:51 PM   #74
detbuch

Quote:
I think I'm comfortable accepting that, but that's not the platform he ran on.
I think his platform, if it is possible to translate Trumpist rhetoric, can be summed up in one of his sentences: "We will make America great again." I think it was clear, as clear as a Trump locution can be, and if you actually heard or saw him speak at his rallies, by "We" he actually did mean the people not the bureaucrats in Washington.

His nomination for the Supreme Court is Constitution centered not judge whim centered so reflects what a good President would do.

His directly speaking to the people through social media reflects that it is the people who he depends on not the bureaucracy.

His direct appeal to business leaders and corporations is acknowledging their role in the economy not reliance on the central bureaucrats and politicians.

His repealing as many of the repressive, bureaucratic executive orders as possible is a transfer of power back from the bureaucracy to the people.

His appointments and decisions generally indicate a direction of having the states more involved in regulation and in matters that really should be governed at state and local levels rather than the federal.

His plans for security from the current Islamic threat, the destruction of ISIS and a slowing of immigration from those areas along with strict vetting certainly is proper "doing" of Constitutional Executive power and duty to defend us.

In general, to me, he sees the role of making the country "healthy wealthy and wise" lies in the hands of the people, not the political ruling class.

Last edited by detbuch; 02-27-2017 at 09:01 PM..
Old 02-28-2017, 05:23 AM   #75
scottw

Quote:
great article pondering Donaldness

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...man-good-deeds
Old 02-28-2017, 05:30 AM   #76
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post

In general, to me, he sees the role of making the country "healthy wealthy and wise" lies in the hands of the people, not the political ruling class.
seems like the left(as is usually the case)....and some others, can't decide whether they want balance of powers and co-equal branches... or at times(when their guy wins) an all powerful President, activist Judiciary, conniving Congress(Obamacare)....as the left tends to do, they want things their way when they want something "achieved" or when they maintain control of a branch of government but when they lose an election or the numbers tip the scales out of their favor power they want a completely different set of rules followed but those that assume control......you couldn't play a game with a sports team that plays like that( "holding, spitballs, hitting below the belt and traveling are fine as long as we're doing it") and I don't think you can co-exist in a society for very long with this kind of collective psychosis

Last edited by scottw; 02-28-2017 at 06:50 AM..
Old 02-28-2017, 07:04 AM   #77
wdmso

Dow Jones board Dow hits best winning streak in 30 years

The biggest winners were shares in energy, financial and healthcare

This says it all ^^^^^^
Old 02-28-2017, 07:27 AM   #78
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

This says it all ^^^^^^
why do you hate healthcare?
Old 02-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #79
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

This says it all ^^^^^^
Please tell us why this is bad? We can't all work in the public sector, some of us have to produce wealth, to generate tax revenue, to pay your salary.

The fact that some sectors won, doesn't mean that other sectors had to lose. Some just outperformed others.

The stock market went way up during Obama's 8 years. I heard lots of liberals giving him credit for that.

Not everything to do with "business" is bad, WDMSO. Lots of good, middle class Americans depend upon business for a livelihood.

Your comment is what says it all. You'd be happier if businesses all failed?
Old 02-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #80
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
It was interesting, and from an outlet that has not been a fan of the guy.

I like most of what Trump is doing. I can't get over how bad the things he says are, and how petty and thin skinned he is.

But I'd rather have a jerk that does a good job, than a nice guy who is incompetent. That last line isn't a dig at Obama, as I consider him to be both a jerk and incompetent.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:49 AM   #81
scottw

it's pretty amusing that his critics end up sounding and acting worse then him .....
Old 02-28-2017, 11:24 AM   #82
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
it's pretty amusing that his critics end up sounding and acting worse then him .....
When you conclude that it's necessarily bad that the stock market had a big run up, and that energy, finance and healthcare did well (HUGE sectors of the economy)...

And the liberal mindset that people who struggle, are only struggling because someone else screwed them (preferably a white guy in a suit), it's something. It's really, really something.

My next door neighbor has a really nice daughter, she has lived next door to me for 10+ years, she used to babysit my kids. Se got a degree in nursing from UCONN. While there, she heard about a great, lucrative profession, called nurse anaesthetist (forgive my spelling). She told me about it years ago, she said that if you work as an RN in an ICU for 2 years, then go back to school for 2 years full time to get that designation, you can start at something like 135k. So she did exactly that. She is 26-27 years years old, and making something like 140k at the UCONN Health Center.

She wasn't born with a trust fund, she didn't go to elite private schools like Miss Porters or Phillips Exeter Academy, she didn't get 1600 on her SATs, she isn't a genius, she went to public schools her whole life. Why is she where she is? She took the time to do some research, found a great goal, and did exactly what the experts told her she needed to do, and now she will enjoy the payoff for the rest of her life.

Not everyone can get a nursing degree. But a lot of people can. And there are many other paths to success. It's not a perfect system. One person falling through the cracks is too many, and we have a lot of cracks to fix. But this notion that the rich have rigged the system so that only they can succeed, is demonstrably false horsesh*t.

I love the story of my neighbor's kid. A totally normal kid, who only stands out because she took the time to formulate a plan, and she stuck to it, when lots of kids her age were more interested in going out to clubs.

Actuaries at my company start, right out of college, with salaries of 65k. Pass all the exams (which many kids do before age 30), and you will never make less than 150k for the rest of your life. But the exams are brutal, you will be studying when most 25 year olds are out partying.

The system is a lot more fair than liberals would have you believe it is. I will push all 3 of my boys, as hard as I can, into healthcare (physical therapy, pharmacy, nursing, physicians assistant, things like that). Zillions of jobs. Good, non-out-sourceable jobs, that will allow you to be self sufficient for life.

If you want to have a yacht and a mansion on Nantucket, best to be born into money. If you are satisfied with being comfortable and not having to worry about money all the time, there are all kinds of ways to get there.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 02-28-2017 at 11:48 AM..