Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 10-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Nasty Fall Bug

I have been hearing of folks being sick in the past couple weeks, and now I have the bug. It came on late yesterday as drip in the back of the throat, sore throat, cough, light head... Got worse today trying to work through it. Went to CVS for Vitamin C and was told there had been at least five parents of school aged kids getting scripts filled for strep throat..... Great.
Wife works for a health insurance company, and is down in their office all this week, so she calls some department that tracks what is going on in the field. The nurse reported that it is widespread in lower eastern states, coming north, and is a beotch.... I'm going to get a c-pack or a z-pack of antibiotics tomorrow to hopefully stay ahead of this. So just a heads up........
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:49 AM   #2
Raven

immune system boosting is always number one
i read and studied "linus pauling's" huge thick book on vitamin C
definitely include that in your regimen (vitamin C)

i use emergency packets 2000 mils in oj or ruby red grape fruit (fast acting)
definitely start taking echinacea herb ( proven in Germany)
garlic bread strong made with chopped garlic golden light fried in butter
phlegm is concurred with slippery elm throat lozenges- sends it out the south end
chicken broth helps allot to regain your strength
spices will double the power of your immune system (read that book too)
i try and eat some of the white stuff in between large naval oranges as it contains bioflavenoids
that makes vitamin C work even better
Cayenne pepper helps to heat the body and increase circulation (keep a salt shaker of it handy)
green tea also helps to boost your immune system as does reishi mushroom (ganaderma)
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:57 AM   #3
Rmarsh

Raven...Have you ever tried rose hip tea? More vitamin C than most citrus fruits....very soothing too, add some honey and lemon. When I get a really bad cold I fill a quart thermos with that and it helps me get through the work day.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:14 AM   #4
Nebe

Get well soon Ross. I'm 8 days into this thing and it sucks big time. Was coughing my brains out.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:32 AM   #5
ecduzitgood
time to go

I don't really like garlic but I have used it as an antibiotic and it works. I crush a clove and put it in a shot glass with water and down it like a shot.
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:00 AM   #6
Raven

garlic will cancel a toothache in minutes too
when use raw -placed on throbbing tooth- presto
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
garlic will cancel a toothache in minutes too
when use raw -placed on throbbing tooth- presto
I didn't know that....thanks!
Old 10-08-2015, 08:58 AM   #8
zacs
D'oh

i've got it and I know several others that do as well

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:55 AM   #9
ecduzitgood
time to go

Would this be a good time to remind people to wash their hands?
Old 10-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #10
Nebe

NyQuil night time cough syrup. That stuff is amazing.
1 shot of that and nighty night. No coughing. If I did not use that last week I would have been even more of a wreck than I was.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:13 PM   #11
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I have had a miserable cold for 2 weeks now but not as bad as you are talking about thank god. I do know after standing for 8 hours at work I get home and I am spent. My lovely daughter brought it home a few weeks ago.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:38 PM   #12
BEETLE

13 days into it for me. Slowly going away. been one nasty virus to have.
BEETLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #13
ecduzitgood
time to go

Did any of you have it last year?
I did and was just wondering if my immune system is now capable of preventing it this year. The coughing was so bad that it caused immense muscle pain throughout my torso especially in my abdomen. Even though I tried it was unbearable to smoke so I was able to quit smoking. It was coughing h*ll for two weeks.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:21 AM   #14
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Ross,

It's going around down here in NYC too.

I don't I've caught it yet, but my boss caught it bad. Out for 3 days now.

fishpoopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:46 AM   #15
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Go to doc and get a c-pack of antibiotics,Ben. I had two left of three from my reserve and it seems to have me making significant improvement in a day and a half. (My daughter took the first one in the pack earlier to fight something off.)
Old 10-11-2015, 12:19 PM   #16
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Bug is still hanging around, cough is brutal. This sux.....
Old 10-11-2015, 01:55 PM   #17
ecduzitgood
time to go

Please don't fool with antibiotics. Take the whole prescription even when you get better. If you only take a few any bacteria that survive may develop a resistance and then you are really going to have a problem.
NEVER only take a few!!!
Try garlic, it is a natural antibiotic rather than a few prescribed antibiotics.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #18
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Bug is still hanging around, cough is brutal. This sux.....
I'm still coughing. It's been over 2 weeks now.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:03 PM   #19
FishermanTim

No offense to those that do, but I hear way too many examples of people's remedies that focus on prescribed meds instead of some of the tried and true home remedies.
Many of these remedies require you to eat healthy foods.
Some like citric fruits, others like onion and garlic, others use natural herbs and flowers from the garden.

My first line of attack is to immediately improve my eating habits.
Plenty of fresh fruit and veggies.
Fresh garlic and onion in whatever dish I choose.
I would joke saying that I didn't care if anyone could smell the onion or garlic because it's doing what I want!

Hopefully everyone that picks up one bug or another will find their own relief!

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:42 AM   #20
BEETLE

18 days and still have the cough also.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:50 PM   #21
Katie
Scuttlebutt

Send a message via AIM to Katie Send a message via MSN to Katie Send a message via Skype™ to Katie
Yikes! I got this last week. Started with the sore throat last Tuesday, on Wednesday it knocked me on my arse. Throat killed, nose, headache, chills, body aches, fever, and cough. Thursday was better. Friday, woke up, felt like my throat was closed and could barely breathe. Went to the doc's -- strep.

Thank goodness for 1000mg of amoxicillin , after 1 day -- felt easily 90% better. 4 days in, I might as well be fully cured.

No idea how I got it.

Wasajigifying -[ was - a - jig-i-fy-ing] - the concept of not knowing what the hell your saying.

My Photography Page!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:31 PM   #22
maddog2020

Oil of Oregano. Stuff tastes NASTY, but friend of mine from Canada told me about it. 6 drops under your tongue and drink water afterwards. Seems to work well for me. I use it when I feel a cold coming on or whatever. YMMV.

If you eat healthy your immune system can stop a lot of the bugs! :-)
maddog2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:14 AM   #23
BEETLE

You have a different bug Katie, this one is like a starts out like a bad cold and takes forever to go away.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #24
Dick Durand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEETLE View Post
You have a different bug Katie, this one is like a starts out like a bad cold and takes forever to go away.
Right. Finally over the hill, but I had been coughing for just over two weeks.
Dick Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #25
zacs
D'oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEETLE View Post
yep, i still have a mild chest cough that i can't kick, but lessens every day...

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #26
Fishpart
Keep The Change

My son was diagnosed with Whooping Cough last year and everyone in the house went on a high dose oral anti-biotic. I must have had it as well because for the week prior I couldn't sleep unless I was sitting up because of the cough. If you have a long lasting abdomen hurting cough see the dr.

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:21 PM   #27
Jenn

had something "funky" going on last week but it subsided. Went for my regular check up yesterday and finally (reluctantly) let the doc talk me into the flu shot. Funky feeling is back but I hope it pays off this winter. I was always anti flu shot for many reasons but thought "what if I am wrong"?. Right now not feeling the love as I have a huge, sore lump on my arm where they gave me the shot and the whole arm is sore from my neck to below my elbow..WTF?

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:18 PM   #28
Zeal
Always a Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Right now not feeling the love as I have a huge, sore lump on my arm where they gave me the shot and the whole arm is sore from my neck to below my elbow..WTF?
Sounds like they hit a tendon and caused inflammation that is aggravating one of the Cervical nerve pathways or they did nick the nerve a little and it's not happy. Try putting some heat on it if the soreness isn't feeling hot or burning or hot to the touch.

I posted to ProfessorM a few years back when he got sick on how to kick colds out, going to see if it even lives anymore but I'll keep this short as possible:

Itchy, dry, scratchy throat, clear runny nose, chills more than fever, aversion to cold or sensitivity to drafts = Ginger. If you aren't a fan then go for Scallions and if you are that picky go for Cinnamon. I recommend soups that incorporate Ginger and Scallions but personally I drink Ginger tea which helps (the goal is to open up the pores and drive the cold in the body out). The most common trick is to wear long clothes, go under covers until you just break a sweat then hop in the shower with the water as hot as you can take it, dry off really well and put on long pajamas. Garlic helps but Ginger is the king in this case.

Sore, swollen, red throat, fever more than chills, sweating, yellow-green nasal discharge = Any kind of Mint. Again, I love Tea. The goal is to clear the heat using the cooling nature of Mint. You can also do hits off of it in an essential oils bottle or use steam.

Both cases avoid dairy and sweets to keep mucus production low.

Honey you should only use about a few drops if your throat is hurting that much. Since it is sweet and heavy, it can be a double edged sword.

For cough, good old menthol helps as well as Eucalyptus oil. You can rub it on your chest or do hits from the bottle.

After 2.5 months of patients coughing in my face it got me right on my 13th 12 hour day straight at the clinic. Ended up becoming viral sinusitis, something I haven't had in at least a decade. Overworking will get you. Ironically I haven't seen any cases of the Flu and also a lot of the doctors offices aren't either. These viruses are taking its' place. The Flu shots are rationed here since we are short so it can't take credit for preventing the Flu.

Don't get me started on those shots...

Always remember when it comes to sinuses that if you got a runny nose it is viral, if there is no runny nose it is bacterial.

"Your first word was "Fishing", not "Mom", not "Dad", "FISHING." - Mom

Black, White, Chartreuse/Parrot = the Holy Trinity
Zeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:25 PM   #29
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Day thirteen. Went to the doctor.... Now on a ten day course of antibiotics as what he heard in my breathing on right side is probably pneumonia......
Old 10-20-2015, 07:18 PM   #30
BEETLE

That sucks. Try to take it easy for a while.
I went for a Flu shot Sat., asked the Nurse if I can get one - told her what I was getting over - she said she had the same thing, same symptoms, and took forever to completely shake. Got shot -no problems.