Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 09-27-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
bobber

2019 CommQuota....?

did it ever get filled? are they still catching bass up there? (I'm in CT)
bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:49 AM   #2
Guppy
User

64% filled doubtful
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:57 AM   #3
blue oyster

what does that tell us about the the stocks crashing
blue oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:53 AM   #4
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

They've all moved offshore, migration routes have changed, comms practicing c&r.....yeah yeah that's the story. Nothing to see here. A lot of us have been predicting this for a LONG time. "Best available science" said noooo for a long time. Wish the powers that be WTF up!

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
Nebe

Look at the results of the MV Derby right now. Not a single bass over 40 pounds has been weighed.
Another sign of a #^&#^&#^&#^& fishery.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:22 AM   #6
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Look at the results of the MV Derby right now. Not a single bass over 40 pounds has been weighed.
Yup, and a bunch of us have been saying it for 6 or 7 years. Nope. No one would listen.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:04 AM   #7
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Been that way for several years now. I didn’t look at the archives, but I want to say it’s been mid 30# fish that have been winners in recent years.

I put most of the blame for the poor fishery on recs. You can’t keep taking and taking (and selfie-releasing) EVERY. SINGLE. DAY at places like the Block and the Canal and expect the population to hold up. It’s just common sense.
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:17 AM   #8
Clammer

the only reason it lasted this long …………..is it was 16" Maryland 12" all you could catch 365 days a year ..no license to fish or sell .& they closed it & opened it very slowly with strong restrictions over time .
now they want to just make adjustments / no complete closeure with [might as well say] no enforcement .

now we have much more knowledgeable fisherman .mainly do to the internet / cell phone ..

I have a good friend that went to a convention /etc 5 or 6 years ago for 3 days in one of the mid/ eastern states …….. there were general fisherman , draggers owners/ comm R&R guys and many commercial/rec captains . which are charter boats captains ……..they came from Canada to Florida & the west coast . run by a few scientist & biologist . He said on the 2nd day / after a lunch break .one of the biologist asked them if they want to save 1.5 days [lol] & get to the bottom of the issues …………..yes was the answer ,
well …….. he said besides the continuing advancement of teck in all sort of gear , from R&R,s to boats but mostly electronics .
the bottom ;line * he used this word .
there aew waaaaaaaaay to many #^&#^&#^&#^&ing fisherman & waaaaaaaay not enough stripers .
My friend came home thought it over .thought about all the time & effort in spent in the 1st striper wars .& said not this time ……….#^&#^&#^&#^& it .pulled his boat , quit his fishing business & to my knowledge has never saltwater fished again …………….I quit asking him to go .
He updated his F/W gear .. studied up & learned some of the FW fishing & has never looked back .
&&&&&&&&& there is a proposal on the table in RI asking that two commercial be allowed to fish from one boat , for safety & economic reasons .B/S // the only fish you can except to fill the daily quota is Sea Bass & sometimes Fluke ……..& even this year it was very, very difficult .even the draggers when coming in with MEDs /
now stripers …………… not a whole lot of fisherman were catching their 5 bass a day never mind ten keeps ……………………………………………...unless you were ay BI & the EEZ ……………………….. that,s what they really want it for , some guys don,t have the boat the feel safe in or care to go at night to make that trip …………..some don,t even fish stripers . but if you can add one of those fisherman that normally wouldn,t be involved in the continunion of the slaughter of the xl breaders to the [reduced] fishery now I that,s a completely different story ……..is this going to help the fishery ///////think about it .

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 01:52 PM   #9
niko

Recs are going to 35 inches next season. Asmfc is targeting an 18% mortality reduction. Comm quota will be slashed 18% as well but if you don’t get to the quota then it doesn’t really help much. The comms are only a small problem, estimated at 8% of total mortality. Recreational community should encourage a voluntary self imposed moratorium through education. Start with a 1 yr voluntary no kill campaign. The best way to change peoples minds and hearts is not to yell at them from a moral high horse but to bring them into the fold, educate them on how bad it truely is and cash in on the charisma of the striper. That’s not gonna be easy and is going to cost a lot of cash in advertising. Pushing for gamefish doesn’t doesn’t help, most people stop listening once you say “gamefish”
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:07 PM   #10
JFigliuolo

And this effects the 2 biggest slaughterhouses in the NE how?

Oh right... not at all.
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:10 PM   #11
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
Recs are going to 35 inches next season. Asmfc is targeting an 18% mortality reduction. Comm quota will be slashed 18% as well but if you don’t get to the quota then it doesn’t really help much. The comms are only a small problem, estimated at 8% of total mortality. Recreational community should encourage a voluntary self imposed moratorium through education. Start with a 1 yr voluntary no kill campaign. The best way to change peoples minds and hearts is not to yell at them from a moral high horse but to bring them into the fold, educate them on how bad it truely is and cash in on the charisma of the striper. That’s not gonna be easy and is going to cost a lot of cash in advertising. Pushing for gamefish doesn’t doesn’t help, most people stop listening once you say “gamefish”
Completely agree with Recs stepping up even though I’m probably coming across as being on a moral high horse (I am ), but I still wouldn’t oppose gamefish status
Old 09-29-2019, 03:13 PM   #12
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFigliuolo View Post
And this effects the 2 biggest slaughterhouses in the NE how?

Oh right... not at all.
That’s a good point as most of the fish are big that are being removed from those areas
Old 09-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #13
Nebe

Gamefish status is the only solution.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #14
Clammer

yesterday price @ one of the mass markets was 8.25 p/p that,s a WOW .,.,.

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:56 PM   #15
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

[QUOTE=niko;1175257] The best way to change peoples minds and hearts is not to yell at them from a moral high horse but to bring them into the fold, educate them on how bad it truely is and cash in on the charisma of the striper. That’s not gonna be easy and is going to cost a lot of cash in advertising.

"Pushing for gamefish doesn’t doesn’t help, most people stop listening once you say “gamefish”

Most gamefish supporters agree with you on the first quote, but help me understand the second part.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
Old 09-29-2019, 06:31 PM   #16
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Have not targeted stripers once this season, only by catch for me now, rather give them a chance; sea bass and tog have been my go to fun the past couple years.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:06 PM   #17
niko

Hi Don, the argument typically is a healthy stock can sustain a certain degree of harvest. Comm bass is going the way of the dodo - a nip Here and a cut there that will never come back. The thing that needs to be done is convincing the masses to save these fish on their own and for there own benefit. not relying on regulation. In order to bring the masses together I feel u need to not be “taking your fish away” and more let’s get the stock in good shape so that a modest harvest is doable. Ur never gonna convince the fringe of either side of the issue the sway much but the 90% of us in the middle should be able to get this done. I go to these charter boat meetings and it’s amazing how ass backwards they are about conservation in general. A few get it and most just see the impact on their bottom line. I don’t do much comm fishing anymore and preach releasing on my charters. Once you take the time and explain how many meals you can get out of 1 bass most folks see the light. Some don’t and I support their and my right to harvest in a responsible manner. its a lot like guns, I’m not a gun guy and I don’t think most people need a gun but I’m not prepared to tell u that u can’t have a gun
Old 09-29-2019, 07:08 PM   #18
niko

Sorry for the rambling response
Old 09-29-2019, 07:40 PM   #19
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

I was at the mass bass meeting last week with Dr. Armstrong.
I wasn’t surprised to hear him say the data has been flawed on the optimistic side for quite a while. If I heard him correctly, 48% of biomass removal is rec discards. That’s a lot of fish.
Got to pay a little more attention to the release.

May fortune favor the foolish....
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:56 PM   #20
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Well said, Paul and I respect the way you go about your business
Old 09-30-2019, 07:06 AM   #21
Rockfish9

Like a lot of you here, I've danced this dance before, I also have sold bass, and ran a charter service, so, I can see where everyone has an opinion and vested interest, IMHO, no one is 100% right or 100% wrong, so many factors have contributed, and every one of us is culpable in the reduced numbers we see today, even in the smallest way, Having attended many meetings through the years, I've heard it twisted every which way...I've heard so many theories, I have my own opinion of it all, and it's pretty much a mix of all of what people think, personally, I just wrapped up the best season in a long, long time, do I think everything is good, not at all, I pulled my boat early because the fishing went "south" a few weeks ago and I don't anticipate it to get good anytime soon, in the 70's and early 80's we fished plum island until Thanksgiving, pods of fish moved through every few days, with breaks between pods getting bigger and lasting longer, eventually, you knew it was time to quit when you caught more codfish than bass... now both are gone from the fall run... we all as sportsman and stewards of the sport need to come together with a solution EVERYONE can live with, I do not feel it's too late, there are still enough pods of small and large to pull a 180, I don't want to see a total fishing moratorium, but IF we ALL do not change our habits and way of thinking, sadly, IMHO, that may be the only hope this beautiful and beloved fish has..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:22 AM   #22
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Thanks for your input Niko.

Always suspected the data was flawed. Not sure if I can buy the 48% mortality is due to rec DISCARDS - just seems awfully high and also how to they ascertain that #? If it's anywhere close to true WE are the worst offenders by far. Niko is right that we must all do our part to educate proper handling and release of fish. I do believe that the recs do kill way too many fish and rec limits should be at one at 36" or a workable slot limit- COASTWIDE. In my opinion Gamefish status can and most likely would turn this into a world class fishery that would have an all around positive economic impact. The comm fishing and the poaching in places like the Canal, Block, and the EEZ take a mighty toll on breeders. I feel for legit comm fishermen who follow the laws but like there comes a time ( like comm duck hunting) when it ends. The powers that be do not seem to be able regulate these effectively. Doesn't seem right to the other users that one can go out and buy a comm lic for a couple of hundys then kill and sell so many fish. I personally believe it's time for another moratorium.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

Old 09-30-2019, 08:14 AM   #23
niko

It’s a lot easier to be a successful fisherman nowadays for better or for worse. I think the new asmfc numbers being adjusted is based on the fact that they realized the amount of “effort”, (number of trips per angler, numbers of anglers, and duration of trips were very underestimated). If you could get a guy like Roy, someone universally respected, to do a fishing PSA media blitz you could sway anglers enough towards releasing to make a difference. Shimano would never let him do it but people listen when he speaks, I do

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
Old 10-02-2019, 08:36 AM   #24
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Somehow the Commercial fishermen are the problem here...

If you ask me (and the asmfc) the fishery would be in a 90% better situation as a commercial ONLY fishery

http://www.asmfc.org/files/Meetings/...ns_Feb2019.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: png Striped-Bass-Coastwide-Removals-2018.png (149.0 KB, 17 views)

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #25
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Save the seals
Save the (stupid) whales
Save the birds
Save the planet

Striper taste like #^&#^&#^&#^&.
I don’t know why anyone would take it home to eat.
Rec guys in my opinion kill them for ego boosting.
Commercial kill them for $ and I can’t ever remember trying to give away $ or throw a check from selling them into a dumpster.
Can rec guys say the same ?

Last edited by Raider Ronnie; 10-02-2019 at 10:17 AM..
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #26
Sea Dangles

Save the quota!
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #27
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

We can't save ourselves from ourselves....we're too stupid and egotistical as a whole. We are unable to police ourselves...we've proven it over and over. Have you really considered how many fishermen actually care about the actual fish or fishery? C'mon...we're but a small percentage in the grand scheme of things...
The stocks will only improve with enforced regulations....whether it be a moratorium or much stricter regulations. End of story.
You guys have been having these talks for years now....and until law enforcement takes a stand, you'll keep having these talks.
Don't you ever get sick of hearing yourselves talk or type?
Those that CAN be educated enough to make a difference already know what they need to know...whether it be from online or through fishn/clubs/whateva. When you care, you do something about it...when you don't, it's business as usual.
I personally don't believe the numbers/statis#^&#^&#^&#^&s what have you. It's a flawed system, it's impossible to get an accurate count... the proof is in the pudding, catch rates are way down...but because of who? or what? Everything and everybody...suck it up and put the shoe on, it surely fits anyone who targets them, for whatever reason.
Guys that have stopped bass fishing are the anomaly...good for them? I guess...for them anyway. Are they making a difference? Maybe to themselves, removing any guilt...but to the fishery, not so much. I'm not knocking it, as it makes them feel like they're doing the stocks some good...they're not, there are 10 other fishermen jumping on their rock before they even retired from it.
Fishing is an individual thing for me...it's my zen. Work, life, and worry are the furthest thought from my mind. Similar to what GS and that other guy who can't type to save his #^&#^&#^&#^&ing life said, start practicing at catching other species....that way when the bass are closed or MIA, you can still be at peace with yourself.

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:52 PM   #28
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingfreak View Post
Somehow the Commercial fishermen are the problem here...

If you ask me (and the asmfc) the fishery would be in a 90% better situation as a commercial ONLY fishery

http://www.asmfc.org/files/Meetings/...ns_Feb2019.pdf

FAKE NEWS
The commercial value is the most accurate even though it's still OFF
The recreational value?? Where does it come from? Phone calls? Spot Checks?Charters?aSmFc...EPO?
"Hello Mr. Rodriguez, my name is Kyle...how many fish did you catch this season?"
"I catched a lotta fish dis year...and I musta caught aleast 4 hunet stripers this year...biggens too!!"
"Thank you for your time Mr. Rodriguez...this information is very helpful"....

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:56 PM   #29
bobber

I am one of "those guys" who has quit fishing for striped bass. I still go and make some casts from time to time, and have caught 6 or 7 small fish since the Spring... (according to statistics, one of them probably died as dead discard) I don't want to be part of the problem anymore..... and its not worth the effort I used to put into it.
bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:44 PM   #30
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post

Striper taste like #^&#^&#^&#^&.
I don’t know why anyone would take it home to eat.

I just ate in a restaurant where Pacific striped bass was $46. I always say striped bass is just a marinade delivery system.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote