Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 08-24-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
FishermanTim

thought I had seen it all, but...

Fished the canal last night, low tide.
I walked roughly 50yds down current from nearest angler.

As I'm fishing I kept "feeling" something hit my rod as I would cast.
After about 5 casts I ended up finding out what it was.....

Couple of guys were drifting eels from the beach near Pip's, and were drifting a good 20-30 yds. beyond me.

In all the years I have fished that area, I've NEVER seen anyone fish any bait but bunker and mackerel, and those were chunks!

Apparently these guys had never, EVER fished live bait in a current.

These "pros" never figured out that the current was ALWAYS going to drag their line down current to the shore, so that their lines ALWAYS ended up 5-10 feet from shore.
Keep in mind that when I first got there, they had to have been 20-30yds UP-current from me, and their lines were 20-30 yds. DOWN-current from me.

And based on their verbal skills (or lack of them) I didn't want to get involved with them in any way.
You know, the kind that swears at you for crossing their line even though they had crossed mine due to their "expert" fishing skills.

Best part was that right after they left I caught and released a small keeper bass.

All in all it was a decent night, the Sox won and I got a decent bass!

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:48 PM   #2
tysdad115

Sounds like a Jerseyhole invasion!

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:41 PM   #3
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

This used to happen to me at plum island in the mouth of the merrimack back in the day, big reason why I stopped fishing there!
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:30 PM   #4
ecduzitgood
time to go

Actually if they were 60 to 90 feet up current and they were drifting eels, I can see them drifting 60 to 90 feet past you. Sometimes you have to change how you fish if someone is up current before you get there or find a different spot.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:43 AM   #5
FishermanTim

I could see that if they were jigging or tossing plugs, but tossing eels there is just plain stupid.

The current and the swimming eels will ALWAYS get dragged to the shore. In the 20+ years I have fished there NOBODY has ever fished live bait there because of the currents.

I will (and have in the past) move to another spot when it gets crowded, but that's because everyone is tossing lures.
Even the bait slingers don't drift that far, mainly because they have weighted lines.

Sorry, but if you expect to commandeer the entire shoreline east of Pip's Rip because you don't know what you are doing, you are sadly mistaken and will find out rather quickly that you don't own the shoreline.

Now if they chose to drift eels at high tide there would not be a problem due to the lack of fishable rocks along the jetty.
But at low tide the entire shore below the rocks is exposed and used by many anglers.

I would have commented then and there, but when dealing with any person using lowbrow vocabulary, it's best to avoid them because of their unstable nature.

Like I said, after they left I caught a fish, so it wasn't a really bad night after all...

Old 08-25-2016, 11:28 AM   #6
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
I could see that if they were jigging or tossing plugs, but tossing eels there is just plain stupid.

The current and the swimming eels will ALWAYS get dragged to the shore. In the 20+ years I have fished there NOBODY has ever fished live bait there because of the currents.

I will (and have in the past) move to another spot when it gets crowded, but that's because everyone is tossing lures.
Even the bait slingers don't drift that far, mainly because they have weighted lines.

Sorry, but if you expect to commandeer the entire shoreline east of Pip's Rip because you don't know what you are doing, you are sadly mistaken and will find out rather quickly that you don't own the shoreline.

Now if they chose to drift eels at high tide there would not be a problem due to the lack of fishable rocks along the jetty.
But at low tide the entire shore below the rocks is exposed and used by many anglers.

I would have commented then and there, but when dealing with any person using lowbrow vocabulary, it's best to avoid them because of their unstable nature.

Like I said, after they left I caught a fish, so it wasn't a really bad night after all...
If you come across me while I'm drifting eels at the canal, please approach me and tell me what I should be doing. I could really use some pointers because clearly I don't have a clue about how to do it.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #7
FishermanTim

Do you fish from the rocky shores IN the canal or from the sandy shore at the east end?

I have no problem with ANYONE fishing near me, but to expect everyone to not fish 80-100 feet of open shoreline solely because they are drifting live bait in a current and have their bait end up 5 -10 feet from shore in 2 feet of water where there are NO FISH is mind boggling.

I understand the general pecking order when fishing the canal, and in the beginning I learned an important lesson about it.

What struck me as ridiculous was that in some 20+ years this is the FIRST time I have seen anyone try this there.
I've seen bait slingers fishing chunk bait, and I've given them a wide berth, knowing that their lines WILL drift (even with weights).

When I got there, I had moved some 50 feet down current from the nearest angler, and these eel slingers were drifting a good 10-20 feet beyond me.

Now I am casting a jig slightly down current (20-30 degree angle to my left) and I wasn't hooking their lines out there.
I was catching their lines on my back cast and my head, as their lines were parallel to the shore.

I'm not complaining about bait fishing, but rather the expectation that these guys had that no one was going to be able to fish any of the shoreline because of their drift.

That would be like going to a prime beach spot, casting (at an angle) a chunk of mack out 50 feet on both sides, but only 10 feet from shore in 2 feet of water, and expecting anyone that wanted to fish from shore to move because you are fishing there. Oh, and the fish were blitzing in front of you.
Sure, live bait can be very productive, but if you can't get the bait or KEEP the bait in the strike zone, it is a waste of time and effort.

That was the case here.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:26 PM   #8
fishbones

I fish where the fish are, and if I'm in a spot drifting eels, I let them go as far as I can. But what do I know. Apparently, I've been doing it wrong all these years.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:06 PM   #9
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Do you fish from the rocky shores IN the canal or from the sandy shore at the east end?

I have no problem with ANYONE fishing near me, but to expect everyone to not fish 80-100 feet of open shoreline solely because they are drifting live bait in a current and have their bait end up 5 -10 feet from shore in 2 feet of water where there are NO FISH is mind boggling.

I understand the general pecking order when fishing the canal, and in the beginning I learned an important lesson about it.

What struck me as ridiculous was that in some 20+ years this is the FIRST time I have seen anyone try this there.
I've seen bait slingers fishing chunk bait, and I've given them a wide berth, knowing that their lines WILL drift (even with weights).

When I got there, I had moved some 50 feet down current from the nearest angler, and these eel slingers were drifting a good 10-20 feet beyond me.

Now I am casting a jig slightly down current (20-30 degree angle to my left) and I wasn't hooking their lines out there.
I was catching their lines on my back cast and my head, as their lines were parallel to the shore.

I'm not complaining about bait fishing, but rather the expectation that these guys had that no one was going to be able to fish any of the shoreline because of their drift.

That would be like going to a prime beach spot, casting (at an angle) a chunk of mack out 50 feet on both sides, but only 10 feet from shore in 2 feet of water, and expecting anyone that wanted to fish from shore to move because you are fishing there. Oh, and the fish were blitzing in front of you.
Sure, live bait can be very productive, but if you can't get the bait or KEEP the bait in the strike zone, it is a waste of time and effort.

That was the case here.
You are missing a lot of fish if you don't fish tight to shore as part of your routine. The trough right at your feet on the beach is a striper feeding zone/highway. I am sure I am not the only person who has caught 20+ pound fish before taking my rod from under my arm after hooking and dropping a live herring in at the run. You probably won't see them again because it really isn't the best situation/spot for live eels. Personally I never get angry at the guy there first, and that's what's great about the canal, if you can't fish the spot you wanted there are plenty of other spots to fish and sometimes you find a new hot spot.
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:54 AM   #10
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
You are missing a lot of fish if you don't fish tight to shore as part of your routine. The trough right at your feet on the beach is a striper feeding zone/highway. I am sure I am not the only person who has caught 20+ pound fish before taking my rod from under my arm after hooking and dropping a live herring in at the run. You probably won't see them again because it really isn't the best situation/spot for live eels. Personally I never get angry at the guy there first, and that's what's great about the canal, if you can't fish the spot you wanted there are plenty of other spots to fish and sometimes you find a new hot spot.
That is spot-on.
Fishing the herring run is different than fishing the shore east of Pip's.
At the herring run area, the shore is rocky, and you need to know what you are doing.
East of pip's it's all sandy shore. That is where many waders choose to fish their lures. Drifting eels or any live bait there will be largely unproductive because the current will ALWAYS drag your bait to the shore where it is really shallow.

Now keep in mind that I walked past these guys and was casting slightly down current, and in waste deep water I was snagging their lines on my back cast.

If this is the accepted protocol for fishing the canal I guess I should get there extra early and start casting down current from where I stand and should naturally expect no one will fish the 75-100 feet of shore down current from "my spot" until I leave, and that no one but me can fish there??

Old 08-31-2016, 09:02 AM   #11
fishbones

Since you seem like you know everything about fishing the east end, I'm going to assume that you know there's more than one way to drift eels.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:43 AM   #12
FishermanTim

I guess I don't know about drifting eels along a 100 foot stretch of shoreline.

I guess I should start drifting plastics in the same manner and expect anyone that wants to fish east of me to go away, since I have the right to all that shore simply because I want to fish as close to shore as possible.

Nah, I'm not THAT selfish or idiotic.

I understand that drifting live baits can be VERY effective in some areas, but is probably the most ineffective way to fish that section.

My gripe was simply that these guys were basically making 1/3 of the shore east of Pip's "off limits" because they were drifting eels.

Also, as stated earlier, this is the first time in 20+ years that I've ever seen someone live line any kind of bait there. Sure, there have been a few chunk slingers, and they tend to stay closer to Pip's and their lines may drift 20 feet of so down current (but 20 - 30 feet out).

Old 08-31-2016, 05:13 PM   #13
Liv2Fish

Reason 900000000000 why I don't fish it anymore.
Liv2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:33 PM   #14
fishbones

Quote:

I guess I should start drifting plastics in the same manner and expect anyone that wants to fish east of me to go away, since I have the right to all that shore simply because I want to fish as close to shore as possible.

I understand that drifting live baits can be VERY effective in some areas, but is probably the most ineffective way to fish that section.

My gripe was simply that these guys were basically making 1/3 of the shore east of Pip's "off limits" because they were drifting eels.

Also, as stated earlier, this is the first time in 20+ years that I've ever seen someone live line any kind of bait there. Sure, there have been a few chunk slingers, and they tend to stay closer to Pip's and their lines may drift 20 feet of so down current (but 20 - 30 feet out).
You seem to know everything about fishing that area. I guess the fish I catch must be due to dumb luck.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 09-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #15
FishermanTim

Hey, you said it, not me...
(We all know there is some skill involved.)

"Anyone that claims to know EVERYTHING about anything is just plain lying."

I'm just saying that in the 20+ seasons of fishing that area I've NEVER seen anyone drift live bait.

It is not an indictment of those that do, but rather of the expectation that no one else should be allowed to fish that entire stretch of shore because of that tactic.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:56 PM   #16
fishbones

If I'm at a spot first, anyone can fish an area near me when I'm drifting eels. I just expect that they know what they're doing and don't cross my line when it gets in front of where they're standing. If they do, they should move to a spot where they can fish without screwing it up for the guys who got there before them.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:23 PM   #17
FishermanTim

I agree 100% (That was explained to me many years ago)

What I was irked about was that they weren't fishing out from shore or diagonally from it, but parallel to it.
(Not from a rocky shore, but on the sandy shore east of Pip's)

I do understand the concept of free-spooling, but doing so along an entire shore in shallow waters looks like they weren't fishing as much as drinking or smoking or letting out all their line to see how far it would go.

I can only imagine what would transpire if I decided to toss a Slug-go out as far as I could, and free-spooled the line for as far as I could before reeling it back in, and then expecting everyone down current to just accept the fact that their lines would be tangling mine (since I would have been there first).

I wouldn't do it because I don't have a death wish nor do I want to do battle with anything that doesn't have stripes!

Old 09-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #18
t.orlando

So you infringed on them by setting up too close, and then want them to change how they were happily fishing before you got there? Please don't fish down current from me. 7 miles long...you didn't have to set up 50ft from them in their drift
t.orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:54 PM   #19
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:

I don't know about Pips bu I use to fish live eels at night on a drift for years in the Canal. This is exactly why I haven't fished it since 2012.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:59 PM   #20
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.orlando View Post
So you infringed on them by setting up too close, and then want them to change how they were happily fishing before you got there? Please don't fish down current from me. 7 miles long...you didn't have to set up 50ft from them in their drift
Once again, this is the first time in some 20+ years fishing that section of the canal that I have seen ANYONE drifting live bait east of PIP's at low tide. There have been plenty of bait slingers, but they are "occupying" about as much shore line as those fishing lures.

Now I am not bashing bait anglers, but rather the choice to fish an area that, based of structure (or lack of it) causes their line to quickly drift very close to shore.

I mean, exactly how is someone supposed to know that the 100 foot section of the canal shore they are planning to fish is already claimed by some other anglers 50+ feet away?
Do you go up to each and every angler and ask what they are fishing and EXACTLY where they are fishing their baits?

Once again, I was surprised that I was snagging their line on my back cast, not out in front of me, so that their lines were basically sitting 10 feet from shore in 2-3 feet of water.

That's all I was saying.