Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 04-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
Joe

Things Baseball Can Do Without

I was watching the Ken Burns documentary, and their was quote read aloud as from the 1940's or 50's about how baseball was a constant in the lives of Americans, something that no one was protesting or clamoring about for its change or eradication. But that was 50 or 60 years ago, and things have changed extraneous to the game since then - things that the game would be better off without in my opinion.
Singing God Bless America: Not to be anti-patriotic, but the national anthem at the start of the game is sufficient. If fans want to sing, it should be spontaneous. Officially stopping everything and asking everyone to rise for another patriotic song in the 7th interrupts the natural flow of the game.
Home Run Fireworks: No. If the hitting of the home run isn't enough fireworks for you - then watch Ultimate Fighting.
Naming Rights To Stadiums: The naming of a stadium should reflect something more than who was the high bidder.
Cheerleaders Cheerleaders are for football games.
Fountains the one in Kansas City sometimes causes mist to blow into the field of play. The thing they built in Miami...what is it?
Obnoxious Mascots: They draw the eye away from the game and show players up publicly. Or they go down slides, or they have little races. I like the Phillies, but that enormous Philly Fanatic should not be on top of the dugout gesturing about - its distracting to the fans, and an unfair advantage to the home team.
Waving Towels Cheer. Clap. That's enough. Those teams seem to always end up crying in the towels anyway.
Tropicana Field It's garbage. If you can't build the right kind of park, you should not be granted a franchise.
Using Football Fields Sorry Oakland, but your stadium is an embarrassment and there's way too much foul area.
Ball Attendant Girls Who Look Like Monday Night Strippers The camera panning over so we can all watch a tartlet bend over again, and again? It cheapens the game.
Bull Pens Should Be Enclosed Put the bullpens off the field of play and enclosed, like a pen - you cheap, greedy owner.
Hills In The Outfield? Hey, Houston....There should only be one hill, and it's in the center of the diamond.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Sea Dangles

So your ok with the rally monkey?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Joe

So long as he's not ten feet tall and riding around on an ATV.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Nebe

And performance enhancing drugs???
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
Joe

The commissioner and MLB has done a great job since they took the right line and began testing regularly.
Tolerating it for all those years is another story. It never should have been tolerated, but after the strike year, the power numbers brought people back and revenues went way up. It's the biggest failure of Bud Selig's tenure and will be the ruination of a lot players entrance to the HOF.
But, it's important to note now that, for the most part, the page has been turned. I was very disappointed in National League MVP Ryan Braun though - and the stupidity with which he compounded getting off on a technicality makes you wonder if it effected his brain.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Nebe

It probably did
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
Joe

They let him off the hook because of his popularity and because he was MVP and they didn't want to go through the very public rescinding of a player's MVP award and the ensuing bad press. That would damage the game, and the league so desperately wants to put it behind and has for the most part.
Then he goes and starts thinking and speaking for himself when there are so many spokespeople available who could have put a much better spin on it.

**Addendum: I forgot the most important reason - they let him off the hook because the commissioner, Selig, just happens to own the Milwaukee Brewers.

Last edited by Joe; 04-14-2012 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: Forgot the most important point - duh

Old 04-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
$250 million contacts?
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

The Wave....I hate The Wave