Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 08-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #31
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
It is what it is folks...there will be no lawsuits. I have many skills Scott......I am not too worried!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #32
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Should have hit him with a 4 oz Hopkins instead Larry. Sorry you lost your job and I would try and see what you can do with the corporate office.

Go Ugly Early
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #33
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

some people plain ole suck....looks like you ran into one .

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #34
Katie
Scuttlebutt

Send a message via AIM to Katie Send a message via MSN to Katie Send a message via Skype™ to Katie
Larry, I can relate to that situation all too well. I work at Home Depot. About a month ago now, a man came in and I was working down in the Lumber department. I rang this guy's sheet rock up like usual, nobody from the department had told me to do any different, nor did this customer. After I total the 5 sheets up, and he pays for it. NOW he starts a stink, asks how much they were, and mentions that they're damaged and tells me the manager okayed the 50% off each sheet because apparently one had a hole it it.. It was a sheet mixed in the middle of the 4. How am I supposed to see that, and he didn't even mention it. So he refuses to move, and I have a line of 6 or more people, and he's starting to yell for a manager and tells me " I hope you like YOUR job! "

At that moment, I bit my tongue. I wish I could have said the things I wanted to, but -- I called the manager, they of course finally told me the discount. After it was voided out, rang it all out again, and this guy was just EXTREMELY rude. He even laughed at me calling me names under his breath.

Sometimes you just have those a**hole customers and you can't do anything about it and just smile and say have a good day Sir!

Also had a customer twist my words of " I'll be with you in a moment " to him saying I said "Oh he can wait" That resulted me getting written up and 1 of the 4 managers, the strictest one -- and he yelled and kept throwing the word termination at me.

Gotta watch out for those people who just make your day!

Wasajigifying -[ was - a - jig-i-fy-ing] - the concept of not knowing what the hell your saying.

My Photography Page!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #35
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

You will find a better, higher paying job.

striprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #36
Duke41
got gas?

deny swearing and have your friend back you up. %$%$%$%$ Lowes and %$%$%$%$ the man
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:55 PM   #37
Backbeach Jake

Larry, these days I can't say that I'd have handled it differently or better. I used to really try with the public, but in the last 10 or 15 years they have gone crazy. It's harder than evey to keep your cool, they just expect and want so friggin much from the minions. Haven'
t the sack to go to management for their problems which are usually mental. So many crazy folks now. Sorry you lost your job over this #^&#^&#^&#^&, did you get his addy? Any how if your vacay is still on gimme a call, I wanna se your new yak in action... 0It amazes me what people expect sometimes.............

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #38
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

sorry to hear about this Larry, customer service jobs like that can be a beyach and just make you nuts, so I agree with the advice to find another type of job where you are relatively insulated from a-holes like that, although that is difficult to do I know!
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #39
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Katie to be honest...the job was not worth me biting my tongue! I get my health bennies through my wife and what they pay me an hour was just not worth it......not to mention I was the most helpful, polite and hardworking person in the store!!!

Duke....I don't lie. It was what it was and I am not going to lie about it! I am a man, a human being and I will not be treated like that by anyone ever and will never see the need to lie about that! I have pride and high morals.....I will take the lickin'!

Old 08-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #40
FishermanTim

It would have been fun, in a twisted sort of way, if you knew that you were getting canned and turned to the jerk and said "Wait for me outside!" and see how fast his car can go.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #41
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I should have just gotten in his face and been done with it......I did show some restraint!!

Old 08-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #42
PaulS

Unfortunatly, everyone needs to remember that workers basically no more rights.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #43
fishbones

Larry, forget about it and don't look back. You have better things in your future than that job provided you with. No job or customer like that is worth giving a second thought to. Get out and fish and enjoy time with your family and friends.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #44
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Should have smiled at him Larry, and when you placed the pallet of very heavy quickrete on his trailer a design flawed in the trailer wold have become obvious when it collasped to the pavement under the weight of the pallet.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #45
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Larry, forget about it and don't look back. You have better things in your future than that job provided you with. No job or customer like that is worth giving a second thought to. Get out and fish and enjoy time with your family and friends.
I couldn't agree more.
"Like water off the back of a duck", just move on knowing you were/are the better man!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #46
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
No Larry you are a representative of the company you work for. You just don't do stuff like that and expect to keep your job. You are the image of the company.

There's no grounds for a wrongful termination lawsuit here. He openly called a customer an a$$hole. He was terminated for just cause based on this. I'm not an attorney but I'm willing to bet you could check with any attorney that specializes with labor claims and he'd tell you the same thing.

Edit and what Jenn said above is spot on.

Hope you find another job, it's going to be tough now with 10% jobless.
Don't forget MA is an 'at will' state. No contract exists between you and the employer. You can be terminated any time for no reason.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #47
Joe

You seem disgruntled....I say you should go back there and show them that they can't do this and expect to just walk away intact.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #48
Gloucester2

I've met Larry, I've talked to Larry . . . I come up to about his elbow
This guy must have been nuttier than squirell %$%$%$%$
Gloucester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #49
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

At Will doesn't mean they can just Chit Can you.

There still has to be a reason for a firing. You can be laid-off, but that doesn't affect your ability to collect Unemployment where being fired can affect it.

Covenant of good faith and fair dealing exceptions (aka. "Implied-in-law" Contracts)

U.S. states with a covenant-of-good-faith-and-fair-dealing exception

Only eleven U.S. states have recognized a breach of an implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing as an exception to at-will employment. These 11 states are:

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
California
Delaware
Idaho
Massachusetts
Montana
Nevada
Utah
Wyoming

This exception for a covenant of good faith and fair dealing represents the most significant departure from the traditional employment-at-will doctrine. Rather than narrowly prohibiting terminations based on public policy or an implied contract, this exception – at its broadest – reads a covenant of good faith and fair dealing into every employment relationship. It has been interpreted, by some courts, to mean either that employer personnel decisions are subject to a “just cause” standard or that terminations made in bad faith or motivated by malice are prohibited.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #50
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Oh well, their loss Larry, I guess they don't know a hard worker when they see it, but they have rules. Can't say as I blame you for losing it a bit , the guy showed you zero respect and you took it up to your breaking point. Referring to him as an ahole within earshot you must have known he would rat you out.

Now you can get that job at Dunkin Donuts you've been waiting for and show them how it's done

have a great vacation big guy
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #51
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Oh well at least you didn't belt the douche bag and get sued. Just a job, you'll land on your feet. Enjoy your vaca and worry about it after you get back.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #52
flyvice11787

Wow, just saw this. Sorry to hear you lost your job, Larry. When you deal with the public all the time, you'll end up meeting some real a**holes . It's worse for me, as I'm a supervisor, and have to deal with the rude obnoxious customers that my employees can't deal with. Rule of thumb is not to talk back to them. I've learned to hold my tongue. I don't let them get the satisfaction of getting a rise out of me. Nothing gets them madder than when I point out that the customer may not always be right (with a straight face and without insulting them ). Hope it all works out for you.
flyvice11787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #53
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Walmart is always looking for door greeters !
I know the one in Walpole Ma. even has a Dunking Donuts just inside their front entrance where the greeter works !

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #54
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
Oh well, their loss Larry, I guess they don't know a hard worker when they see it, but they have rules. Can't say as I blame you for losing it a bit , the guy showed you zero respect and you took it up to your breaking point. Referring to him as an ahole within earshot you must have known he would rat you out.

Now you can get that job at Dunkin Donuts you've been waiting for and show them how it's done

have a great vacation big guy
Thats funny Slip!! Almost spit out my coffee!

Old 08-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #55
bassackward

Sorry to hear the news. You can stand tall (not a problem, having seen you) knowing you stood up for your principles. You'll get through this and look back on it proudly. I hope to go out in a blaze of glory and expletives when the day comes. People just don't respect eachother any more. We're all fed up, even those with good paying jobs. Too bad we don't often get a mulligan for having a bad day with a short fuse.

Does anyone know the difference in collecting unemployment when it comes to quitting vs getting fired?

bassackward
John from Billerica

A wise old man once told me"It's better to wet your line than wet yourself"
bassackward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #56
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Warning:
Not P.G.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #57
Joe

They should never have outlawed dueling - makes people think twice before they sh_t all over someone.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #58
buckman

Sounds like you did everything right and played it cool until you called him an ahole. That's where you lost your job.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #59
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

So be it Buckman....when you piss gasoline on an open flame.......there will be an explosion!

Old 08-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #60
buckman

File for unemployment and go fishing on there dime.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote