Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

So heres to 4 more years

It was a blow out.
Not to pat myself on the back but I called in months ago and remained consistent. I never thought Romney had a chance.
I blame a lousy campaign from Romney and
headlines on republicans saying stupid things

On CNN this morning, they are discussing the fiscal cliff and a panel member asked what that means. Monsths of campaigns and debates and fiscal cliff never came up. Romney could have destroyed Obama on it, its the biggest issue facing this country. never came up.

Cannot believe Warren won MA. Disgusting.

So, I voted so I guess I have the right tho beyotch. Not looking forward to the same thing for the next 4 years.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 11-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
spence

I think the GOP needs to take a long look in the mirror.

Romney lost for the same reason McCain lost. They bowed to the party loons instead of just being themselves and talking from the heart.

The GOP needs some intervention.

-spence
Old 11-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post

Cannot believe Warren won MA. Disgusting.
Warren won riding the coat tails of MA Obama voters, something like 75-80% of O voters voted W.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Romney lost for the same reason McCain lost. They bowed to the party loons instead of just being themselves and talking from the heart.

-spence
I have to say i agree.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Nebe

I agree as well. There are too many fundamentalists running around calling themselves conservatives in the GOP. Just my opinion of course.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Quote:

-spence
I think both parties need to take a long look in the mirror. At some point in time somebody has to put partisan politics aside and work together to get anything done That will have Substantive value to our Society.

At this point in time. I feel like people are more swayed by whether or not a candidate is red or blue. I'm not talking about people to educate themselves with the issues. But those that get their views from the nightly news. Regardless of whether or not it's Fox ABC NBC CNN whomever. We as a people would be better served If our candidates were not held to party lines and could vote based on beliefs.
I honestly thought we had that with Scott Brown the way he voted he could've been Democrat or Republican. But he got beat. So it's more the same on the hill now.

I am the man in the Bassless Chaps
Old 11-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
I think both parties need to take a long look in the mirror. At some point in time somebody has to put partisan politics aside and work together to get anything done That will have Substantive value to our Society.

At this point in time. I feel like people are more swayed by whether or not a candidate is red or blue. I'm not talking about people to educate themselves with the issues. But those that get their views from the nightly news. Regardless of whether or not it's Fox ABC NBC CNN whomever. We as a people would be better served If our candidates were not held to party lines and could vote based on beliefs.
I honestly thought we had that with Scott Brown the way he voted he could've been Democrat or Republican. But he got beat. So it's more the same on the hill now.
I have followed the banter on Facebook and I cannot believe the hatred and misinformation from many of my educated friends. Its like the National Enquirer is running the country.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Yeah I see it too RI.....people calling other people terrible things because of the choice they made! This is a Democracy after all....we all have a choice and need to respect others choices not belittle them for it if we do not agree!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 11-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I agree as well. There are too many fundamentalists running around calling themselves conservatives in the GOP. Just my opinion of course.
dirka dirka?

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 11-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Hope the next 4 are better than the last 4.

Quote:

-spence
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Yep.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #11
buckman

President Obama said he was going to roll up his sleeves and fix the mess he inherited from the last 4 years
Is it just me or does Warren have the most annoying voice?
Old 11-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #12
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

I got out voted, so it is what it is.
I'll let the pundits tell me why, but it was fun bantering back and forth here.

Buckman, you always crack me up.

" Choose Life "
Old 11-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I have followed the banter on Facebook and I cannot believe the hatred and misinformation from many of my educated friends. Its like the National Enquirer is running the country.
It has been kind of funny my favorite quote of the day

"My Uterus is safe for another 4 years"

As if a band of Ninjas was climbing into her birth canal to attack reproductive organs and Obama fought them off lol.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #14
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that was what was said after the 2008 election.

and I agree....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #15
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
It has been kind of funny my favorite quote of the day

"My Uterus is safe for another 4 years"

As if a band of Ninjas was climbing into her birth canal to attack reproductive organs and Obama fought them off lol.
It wasn't going to be an issue and likely will never be an issue but if Republicans can never find a way to stop shooting themselves in the foot, they will never appeal to enough to get over the top.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #16
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
It wasn't going to be an issue and likely will never be an issue but if Republicans can never find a way to stop shooting themselves in the foot, they will never appeal to enough to get over the top.
I disagree... Romney would have had 1-3 justices to replace on the SCOTUS... that could have meant serious changes in many social issues....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 11-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #17
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I disagree... Romney would have had 1-3 justices to replace on the SCOTUS... that could have meant serious changes in many social issues....
And I don't think the most contentious issues: Roe-v-Wade, would get overturned in the most basic sense.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #18
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Quote:
I agree whole heartedly kind of a ridiculous argument when you can not get congress to pass a budget. Do people truly feel they will be able write legislation that will get through the house and the senate signed into law by the POTUS and then get past the SCOTUS. Really? But Rachel Maddow said....

As far as Conservatives shooting them selves in the foot you are correct. To be viewed in a positive light as a conservative you have to be politically correct and never have said anything disparaging about any group ever. Otherwise you get crucified. Look at the legs the Binder comment had. By the same token Biden says they will put you back in chains and it is barely an issue? Sign of the times.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #19
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
And I don't think the most contentious issues: Roe-v-Wade, would get overturned in the most basic sense.
With three more Scalia's and Thomas'?

I disagree..

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 11-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #20
Ian
Idiot

Fiscal and social policy... what a terrible pair... They are so intertwined these days that its a stalemate, no matter who is in office.

People need to remember that spending cuts mean job losses... the Government employs people too. Where are those people going to work if we just up and cut their jobs? Its a slippery slope...

If no deal is reached by the 1st of the year, this "fiscal cliff", do we declare bankruptcy?
Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #21
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch59 View Post
Fiscal and social policy... what a terrible pair... They are so intertwined these days that its a stalemate, no matter who is in office.

People need to remember that spending cuts mean job losses... the Government employs people too. Where are those people going to work if we just up and cut their jobs? Its a slippery slope...

If no deal is reached by the 1st of the year, this "fiscal cliff", do we declare bankruptcy?
Hopefully they shut down government like the Clinton years and lock congress on Capitol hill until they have a budget passed.

Last edited by Jackbass; 11-07-2012 at 10:19 AM..

Old 11-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #22
Ian
Idiot

I wonder how much of our debt could be restructured if we declared bankruptcy... just thinking out loud. I remember when the auto companies were allowed to negotiate with the unions they had been fighting with for years. They were able to lower the unbelievably comprehensive benefits their members were getting, freeing up money down the line.

Given the people I know who are living on Government pensions or benefits that are so far above what is available these days, it might do our national debt some good to be able to restructure that stuff....
Old 11-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #23
buckman

Back to work Spence!!!!!
The Dow is reacting
Old 11-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #24
Jim in CT

Spence, the GOP doesn't need to look in the mirror. We got beat worse in 2008, and everyone said we needed to look in the mirror. Yet we opened a can of whoop-ass in 2010 (led by the Tea Party, not due to changing the core values). Why did we do well in 2010? Because the lefty media cannot circle their wagons around hundrdes of senate and house candidates, as effectively as they can around one presidential candidate.

The GOP's core beliefs are a small federal government, preciousness of life, nurturing individual liberty, supporting the free market, and encouraging charity. We don't need to re-tool that message. We just need to find more forums for an honest discussion about those ideas, rather than having to endlessly defend ourselves against baseless charges of racism, sexism, hating poor people, homophobia, Islamophobia, war crimes, and cannibalism. We need to educate people on what we actually believe, as opposed to what Rachael Maddow claims we believe. THAT'S the challenge. And it may not be possible, because we only have one network that doesn't paint us as monsters, and not that many folks watch Foxnews.

Example - Obama and the media went out of their way to paint Romney as a greedy plutocrat who cared more about profits than people. That sounds great. But the truth is that Romney, like most Mormons, did a 2 year unpaid service mission for his church. Then, when the daughter of a Bain capital employee went missing in New York, Romney closed the company, bussed the emloyees to NYC, and worked with police to help find her. Yet all you hear, on every network except one, is that Romney is a greedy plutocrat who wants to take from the poor and give to the rich. Dishonest, but effective.

I predict the Dems will do well at the national level for the next 15 years or so. During that time, 2 things will happen. (1) the debt will grow by more than $1 trillion a year, and (2) 10,000 Baby Boomers a day will turn 65 and look to collect medicare and social security benefits. Those 2 things are on a collision course. When they collide, we;ll go through a recession that makes 2008 look like the roaring 1920's, and then things will change.

People are not opposed to what conservatives stand for. People are opposed to what liberals (and the media) claim that we stand for. Big difference.

Finally Spence, if yuo recall, I bet Romney would win and that the GOP wpuld gain seats in Congress. You clobbered me in that bet. So you get to name your charity, make it as liberal as you wish, and I'll give them $100.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #25
JohnnyD

Quote:

-spence
I've been saying this since the start of the primaries when Ron Paul and his followers were being dismissed. From what I've seen reported, Gary Johnson received more votes than any previous Libertarian candidate. The people I personally know who voted for him did so because there was no chance they'd vote for Obama but couldn't justify a vote for Romney.

The GOP completely alienated a voting base that very-well could have won them the election, even with the pathetic candidate they put out there.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #26
Mr. Sandman

Some investment advise for the next 4 years:
(I am serious)
List of Inverse ETFs (Short ETFs / Bear ETFs) ? TraderMike.net
Old 11-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #27
Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I've been saying this since the start of the primaries when Ron Paul and his followers were being dismissed. From what I've seen reported, Gary Johnson received more votes than any previous Libertarian candidate. The people I personally know who voted for him did so because there was no chance they'd vote for Obama but couldn't justify a vote for Romney.

The GOP completely alienated a voting base that very-well could have won them the election, even with the pathetic candidate they put out there.

I'm a huge Ron Paul guy (fiscal conservative, social libertarian)and I refused to vote for Mitt. (not that a Massachusetts vote mattered).

What I cannot stand is that the blatant liar Liawatha and the complete crook Tierney were voted into office in Massachusetts because they had a D next to their names.

-Andrew
Old 11-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
Some investment advise for the next 4 years:
(I am serious)
List of Inverse ETFs (Short ETFs / Bear ETFs) ? TraderMike.net
Damn right. Stocks are over-valued, bonds are a disaster waiting to happen (interest rates have nowhere to go but up).

Sandman, in the long run, you cannot lose money by betting against Obama's ability to nurture the free market.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #29
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

DOW is down 319

Old 11-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #30
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

There was some good news!

Voters in Washington state and Colorado appear to have voted "yes" on measures that would legalize the sale of pot to adults, without the need for a doctor's prescription