Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Sorry, have been working hard to try and keep the DOW above 13,000. The economic recovery is keeping me pretty busy

I don't see you could interpret Obama's remark as stating the SCOTUS doesn't have the authority. Obama was simply using a bit of the Right's own poison against them.

It was a heavy handed political remark for sure, but the Administration didn't fare well in the media last week and so they have to tighten up their line.

Obama's comments if anything we to reassure the base he was fighting for their interests...Reagan did the same thing.

-spence
\

Spence, i noticed you werent too busy to comment on this thread, earlier, yet dodge the issue I raised. So don't give me that, OK?

Spence, Obama said it would be "unprecedented" for the Court to overturn a law passed by the legislature. "Unprecedented". The man taught constitutional law, and he doesn't think the court has ever, not once, overturned a law signed by congress?

You didn't present yourself any better than he did Spence...you shuold both be enbarassed.

Our president doesn't think that the Supreme Court has ever declared a law to be unconstitutional. Our Treasury Secretary is a tax cheat. Our vice president is an admitted plagiarist. Our Secretary Of State claimed that on an overseas trip she had to JUMP! into military vehicles because of sniper fire (turned out to be a lie, caught on video, her excuse for the lie was that she was tired, and because o fthat, she imagined that she had been shot at), and our attorney general thinks that (1) soldiers on the battlefield should "arrest" enemy combatants, and that (2) it was a good idea to give machine guns to Mexican drug runners.

Not exactly the 1927 Yankees, this inner circle we have...
Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Spence, Obama said it would be "unprecedented" for the Court to overturn a law passed by the legislature. "Unprecedented". The man taught constitutional law, and he doesn't think the court has ever, not once, overturned a law signed by congress?
Obama's statement was in response to a question, not a prepared remark. That he left out some context is reasonable and when asked again he was more specific.

Quote:
Well, first of all, let me be very specific. We have not seen a Court overturn a law that was passed by Congress on a economic issue, like health care, that I think most people would clearly consider commerce — a law like that has not been overturned at least since Lochner. Right? So we’re going back to the ’30s, pre New Deal.
I think Obama's assertion that the bill was passed by a big majority was certainly a stretch, but his comment that the SCOTUS hasn't mucked with economic policy in the modern era does appear to be accurate from what I've read.

This blabbering on that Obama doesn't know what the Supreme Court does is pretty absurd.

-spence
Old 04-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Obama's statement was in response to a question, not a prepared remark. That he left out some context is reasonable and when asked again he was more specific.

I think Obama's assertion that the bill was passed by a big majority was certainly a stretch, but his comment that the SCOTUS hasn't mucked with economic policy in the modern era does appear to be accurate from what I've read.

This blabbering on that Obama doesn't know what the Supreme Court does is pretty absurd.

-spence
"Obama's statement was in response to a question, not a prepared remark."

Oh, I see. So even you, his biggest fan, expect idiotic, demonstrably false jibberish to come out of his mouth when he's not reading a rehearsed speech? I keep hearing how refreshing it is to have an intellectual in the Oval Office. You can't have it both ways, Spence.

You're saying that we should all expect him to say idiotic things when he's not reading a prepared speech, and we should therefore forgive him. That's not what Obama fans did to Palin when she said atupid things.

"That he left out some context "

Spence, he said it would be "unprecedented" if the Court deemed his healthcare law illegal. PLEASE PUT THAT IN ANY CONTEXT YOU WANT. That answer would get a rishly deserved "F" in any 7th grade civics class. This is what Harvard Law School produces? He's completely, 100% ignorant about the core function of one-third of our federal government?

"This blabbering on that Obama doesn't know what the Supreme Court does is pretty absurd"

No. What's absurd is that he doesn't know what the Suprene Court does. Spence, the word "unprecedented" is not ambiguous, it's not open for interpretation. I'm not spinning anything, I'm not putting words in his mouth, I'm not taking anything out of context. He used the word "unprecedented". I'm sorry your hero put his foot in his mouth on a big stage. Don't take your frustration out on me, it's not my fault that this emperor has no clothes.

"his comment that the SCOTUS hasn't mucked with economic policy in the modern era does appear to be accurate from what I've read."

But that's not what he said. Read the quote, The word "economics" appears nowhere. You are now making things up to make him look less idiotic.

""I'm confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress,"

Where is Obama saying that what he's talking about is economic policy? Where, exactly? Spence, point that out for me please?

Forget about what you think he meant. Look at what he said. Liberals had no problem holding Palin accountable for what she said, so let's hold Obama to the same standard, unless that's unfair for some reason?

Not a good day for you Spence, not a good day. Just once, you could have said "jeez, i can't imagine what he was thinking when he said that, that's a stupid thing to say".
Old 04-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
\

That's OK, Joe Biden stated Obama's call on Bin Laden was the most audacious thing in 500 years of history

(and it was Audacious, just not in the top 500 of the last 500)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
May I suggest everybody take a deep breath and relax....

I'm pretty sure Bossman wants everybody to play nice in the Sandbox
And, yes, he does.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming: