Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
buckman

I thought this was interesting!

Just a little food for thought.
TO ALL MY FRIENDS....LIBERAL OR CONSERVATIVE........FYI only.

George Bush has been in office for 7 1/2 years. The first six the economy was fine.
A little over one year ago:
1) Consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 year high;
2) Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon;
3) the unemployment rate was 4.5%.
4) the DOW JONES hit a record high--14,000 +
5) American's were buying new cars, taking cruises, vacations overseas, living large!...

But American's wanted 'CHANGE'! So, in 2006 they voted in a Democratic Congress and yes--we got 'CHANGE' all right. In the PAST YEAR:
1) Consumer confidence has plummeted ;
2) Gasoline is now over $4 a gallon & climbing!;
3) Unemployment is up to 5.5% (a 10% increase);
4) Americans have seen their home equity drop by $12 TRILLION
DOLLARS and prices still dropping;
5) 1% of American homes are in foreclosure.
6) as I write, THE DOW is probing another low~~
$2.5 TRILLION DOLLARS HAS EVAPORATED FROM THEIR
STOCKS, BONDS & MUTUAL FUNDS INVESTMENT
PORTFOLIOS!

YES, IN 2006 AMERICA VOTED FOR CHANGE... AND WE SURE GOT IT! ....
REMEMBER THE PRESIDENT HAS NO CONTROL OVER ANY OF THESE ISSUES, ONLY CONGRESS.
AND WHAT HAS CONGRESS DONE IN THE LAST TWO YEARS, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
NOW THE DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT CLAIMS HE IS GOING TO REALLY

GIVE US CHANGE ALONG WITH A DEMOCRATIC CONGRESS!!!!
JUST HOW MUCH MORE 'CHANGE' DO YOU THINK YOU CAN STAND?
Old 09-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Jenn

WHAT? youre not blaming it on Bush????

Simplify.......
Old 09-18-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Nebe

I thought better of you Buckman.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
JohnnyD

I would agree with you, except for the fact that absolutely nothing has been accomplished policy wise. Thus, the policies that were in place before the last legislative election are pretty much the same as today. Anything Congress wants to pass, Bush threatens to veto and everything Bush wants, Congress votes down. In terms of policy making, both branches of gov't make up one big lame duck.

I don't feel Oil prices can be directly blamed on either party. Worldwide, countries are facing increased fuel prices due to the Middle East conflicts and OPEC's desire to throttle their output. Americans are getting hit harder (on a percentage increase basis) because the dollar is in the toilet.

Guess those Bush tax cuts weren't so good after all - well aside from grossly inflating the national debt.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #5
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I would agree with you, except for the fact that absolutely nothing has been accomplished policy wise. Thus, the policies that were in place before the last legislative election are pretty much the same as today.
I was going to say the same thing.

You know, I would have thought at least that there should be a quote attributing this to the real source as it's obviously a cut and paste. But I guess if Joe Biden forgot to quote I'll give a pass...not on the content though.

-spence
Old 09-18-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
Joe

4.5 X 1.22 = 5.49
Unemployment is actually up 22% over the two year period...

Old 09-18-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
4.5 X 1.22 = 5.49
Unemployment is actually up 22% over the two year period...
Hence highlighting why some conservatives are against education.

Nice catch.

-spence
Old 09-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #8
Joe

Bryant College night school - while I was collecting welfare...

Old 09-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Bryant College night school - while I was collecting welfare...
I almost fell out of my chair.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:57 PM   #10
gone fishin

I cannot remember --- what was the condition of the economy and country before we got BUSH !!!?

low & slow 37
Old 09-19-2008, 05:55 AM   #11
buckman

And during"the worst financial crisis since the Depression" they go on recess.

It was a cut and paste from another site. I thought I would run it by you brilliant libs to provoke some interesting perspectives. Well done, you even got in the usual personal attacks.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:04 AM   #12
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone fishin View Post
I cannot remember --- what was the condition of the economy and country before we got BUSH !!!?
The economy under Clinton was a fraud. It was all paper money based on a phony internet based economy. Form a company on the internet, sell it for millions. Bill Gates should get the credit for the Clinton economy. And it was tanking when Bush got in.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:06 AM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
And during"the worst financial crisis since the Depression" they go on recess.

It was a cut and paste from another site. I thought I would run it by you brilliant libs to provoke some interesting perspectives. Well done, you even got in the usual personal attacks.
Congress does go in and out of session you know.

And who attacked you personally? Sounds like more fake outrage, it's a good thing nobody mentioned lipstick or you'd be all in a tizzy.

-spence
Old 09-19-2008, 06:11 AM   #14
spence

Quote:
The economy under Clinton was a fraud. It was all paper money based on a phony internet based economy. Form a company on the internet, sell it for millions. Bill Gates should get the credit for the Clinton economy. And it was tanking when Bush got in.
Venture cap invests in new innovative ideas and the Buck think's it was a sham

Nice, so when a Democrat is in charge and we shrink the budget deficit it's a fraud, but when Reagan and Bush create massive debt for our kids to pay off I guess we're just being patriotic.

You may want to go back to cut 'n paste

-spence
Old 09-19-2008, 07:16 AM   #15
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Hahaha - the Democratic Congress has done Nada, Nuttin, Not a Thing, but waste space, air, and time. But they also didn't cause this problem.

I think it is disgusting all the people that would rather "Discuss the Issues" & just ramble off the Talking Points of their party, than actually give a bleep about the country . Het, but we're all right of course

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-19-2008, 07:22 AM   #16
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Spence, the shrinking budget deficit was a result of the capital gains taxes generated by the run up of the stock market, not by spending cuts. Another MASSIVE influx of tax money was the brilliant decision to allow people to rollover previously untaxed capital gains from the IRA into Roth IRA. A brilliant move to fix the problem then, but we will have a greatly reduced tax base in the future because capital gains on the Roth aren't taxed where with a traditional IRA they are.

In addition the consumer electronics that helped fuel the economy for so many years during the 90's are a direct result of REGAN DEFENSE RESEARCH. Next time you make a call on your cell and find your way with GPS thank President Regan. Unfortunately the results of economic policies often take years to be felt, so the people who put them in place typically don't get the credit.

I will not disagree our current President is a bumbling nincompoop, but the current Executive excessive compensation came during the Bill Clinton economic boom years, everyone was making so much in the market that they didn't care how much we GAVE to executives for little or no performance. Don't be fooled, Congress is as much or more at fault than any President, just as the economic problems in RI cna be placed squarely on the shoulders of the legislature who keeps blaming the Governer.

BTW the economy was failing well before Bush took office for his first term, I saw it clearly in the sales of products to the auto industry that were promised but never came through.

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 09-19-2008, 07:26 AM   #17
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
George Bush has been in office for 7 1/2 years. The first six the economy was fine.
Quote:
And it was tanking when Bush got in.
Which is It.....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-19-2008, 07:32 AM   #18
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Hahaha - the Democratic Congress has done Nada, Nuttin, Not a Thing, but waste space, air, and time. But they also didn't cause this problem.

I think it is disgusting all the people that would rather "Discuss the Issues" & just ramble off the Talking Points of their party, than actually give a bleep about the country . Het, but we're all right of course
Perfectly stated.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:38 AM   #19
slapshot

The price of gasoline dropped quite a bit while Congress was on vacation......

bluefish Jihadist
Old 09-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #20
EarnedStripes44

The pubes have set a modern history with all the legislation they have blocked. I would not entirely credit democrats with congress' lethargy.

I posted this a few months back (December 20, 2007). Buck missed this one.

The Republican Senate minority today filibustered an omnibus budget bill, setting a modern-day record for blocking the most legislation during a congressional session. A new report released today by the Campaign for America's Future details the 62 times conservatives have used the filibuster to block legislation (or force modification of bills) in the first session of the 110th Congress. In just the first year of this two-year Congress, their use of the filibuster in the Senate topped the previous record, reached during the entire 107th Congress.

courtesy of -
http://home.ourfuture.org/media/reco...ervatives.html
Old 09-19-2008, 09:58 AM   #21
Joe

Now it reads....
"The buck stops with the guy before or after, just not here. Unless the news is good, in which case it stops here."

Old 09-19-2008, 10:02 AM   #22
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

That pretty much sums it up in a nutshell

Old 09-19-2008, 12:51 PM   #23
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
Spence, the shrinking budget deficit was a result of the capital gains taxes generated by the run up of the stock market, not by spending cuts. Another MASSIVE influx of tax money was the brilliant decision to allow people to rollover previously untaxed capital gains from the IRA into Roth IRA. A brilliant move to fix the problem then, but we will have a greatly reduced tax base in the future because capital gains on the Roth aren't taxed where with a traditional IRA they are.
It was also largely due to increased taxes on the upper income earners, nor did Clinton increase the Federal budget over his second term which allowed for the surplus.

Quote:
In addition the consumer electronics that helped fuel the economy for so many years during the 90's are a direct result of REGAN DEFENSE RESEARCH. Next time you make a call on your cell and find your way with GPS thank President Regan. Unfortunately the results of economic policies often take years to be felt, so the people who put them in place typically don't get the credit.
I'm all for more Government sponsored innovation, especially in the acedemic realm.

-spence
Old 09-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #24
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
Both the cell phone

"1977 - Cell phones go public. Public cell phone testing began. The city of Chicago was where the first trials began with 2000 customers, and eventually other cell phone trials appeared in the Washington D.C. and Baltimore area. Japan began testing cellular phone service in 1979."

and GPS

"1978 - the first experimental Block-I GPS satellite was launched."

came about in the late 70's....pre-Reagan

Reagan can get some credit on the GPS because he is the one that allowed it to go public. (Nothing to do with Research)

so with the "Trickle down" logic shouldn't we be giving Carter the Credit ( and I personally thought Carter was a tool)

And I liked Reagan, I was in the Military for the majority of his presidency and he was pumping money into the military. But saying that we should thank Reagan everytime we make a cell phone call is like saying I should thank Al Gore everytime I post here.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:23 PM   #25
sokinwet

"Unfortunately the results of economic policies often take years to be felt, so the people who put them in place typically don't get the credit."

I guess that also explains why I haven't got my share of Regans "trickle down" economy dollars!! :-)
Old 09-19-2008, 02:54 PM   #26
buckman

Dig deep boys. It's your Patriotic duty. Multi trillion dollar budget, and they can't find a way to cut waste? I'll admit some of the blame falls on Bush. Now you admit Pelosy and the ilk are a bunch of pathetic blame pointers that have done nothing good since 2006.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #27
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Dig deep boys. It's your Patriotic duty. Multi trillion dollar budget, and they can't find a way to cut waste? I'll admit some of the blame falls on Bush. Now you admit Pelosy and the ilk are a bunch of pathetic blame pointers that have done nothing good since 2006.
Buckman, I strongly disagree. Pelosi and her ilk also did nothing good PRIOR to 2006

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 09-19-2008, 03:38 PM   #28
buckman

Old 09-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #29
spence

Quote:
I guess you think the raising of the minimum wage was a bad thing.

Or the higher fuel economy standards Bush signed into law last year.

I'm sure if I whipped out The Google I could find a lot more, but I won't throw good money after bad.

-spence
Old 09-19-2008, 06:45 PM   #30
buckman

Or the fact, FACT, that the federal budget has grown 8.3% for 2008 over 2007 You can't blame the war,it was going in 2007, Blame the hypocrit, big goverment Dems who run the budget. We don't need higher taxes on anyone. They are using the economy as a reason to hike taxes and spend more. It's our damn money and they just piss it away. We should all be fedup, pissed off and they should all lose their jobs. Dems and Republicans

FYI- Cars today don't get much better milage then cars of 25 years ago. I had a VW that got 56 MPG when I was in college. Better then a Hybrid of today.