Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 07-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
dannyplug1

How to deal with scup

Of late I can't get the tube and worm through he scup. Am I fishing too shallow? How deep should I be fishing. Is it possible that I am fishing too shallow? I also thought that scup hits might indicate that there were no large bass around. Help all I can do lately is feed the scup expensive tube worms. Thanks Charlie
dannyplug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyplug1 View Post
Of late I can't get the tube and worm through he scup. Am I fishing too shallow? How deep should I be fishing. Is it possible that I am fishing too shallow? I also thought that scup hits might indicate that there were no large bass around. Help all I can do lately is feed the scup expensive tube worms. Thanks Charlie
Liveline the scup....

Gulp/rubber worms worked back in the days when we tubed....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Move!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
Cool Beans

I caught mine today in the 4 to 6 feet of water around good rocks that are exposed at low tide but underwater at high tide. tube and worm slowly trolled past the far side of the rocks. I been seeing the scup in the 12 to 20 feet range.

Prior to today I had been targeting the leeward side of the bridge pylons and had been catching lots of scup. Today I moved to the shallows and fished rock structure that just looked good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
Move!

Last edited by Cool Beans; 07-20-2014 at 08:12 PM..
Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:11 PM   #5
hq2

I'm not so sure that scup are actually such a bad problem to have. The bigger ones fight hard and are pretty good eating; I've always enjoyed catching them when I'm down at BB. As for the small ones, they should make good striper bait. Why not bring two rods the next time, catch scup wth the first and liveline with the second, like RIrockhound said? That way, you can go two for one. (Be sure to bring some scissors to cut off the top fins on the ones you liveline). And, if you are in a rocky area, you shouldn't have to go far to find stripers (although at this time of year, I'm not sure how many are in BB overall).
hq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
Move!
Pro advice right there...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:17 PM   #7
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
I'm not so sure that scup are actually such a bad problem to have. The bigger ones fight hard and are pretty good eating; I've always enjoyed catching them when I'm down at BB. As for the small ones, they should make good striper bait. Why not bring two rods the next time, catch scup wth the first and liveline with the second, like RIrockhound said? That way, you can go two for one. (Be sure to bring some scissors to cut off the top fins on the ones you liveline). And, if you are in a rocky area, you shouldn't have to go far to find stripers (although at this time of year, I'm not sure how many are in BB overall).
LOL thats how I been doing it, I have my 2 striper rods that I troll with and then a light weight rod I use for trout to catch scup. I modified my kayak and added 2 forward rod holders so I can have the 2 behind me (lines up) while I fish for scup with the light rod. This works very good near the pylons of newport bridge. If the striper are not hitting the tube and worm, the scup are always biting.
Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote