Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 08-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
DZ

Gibbs Three Hook Darters

Perhaps the most effective darter ever made was the Gibbs three treble model built with screw-eyes. Many of the other darters were designed off of this Gibbs model. It was always a favorite of mine until Gibbs went to two trebles - just not the same plug. The plastic Musso comes closest to the original action of that classic Gibbs design. Has anyone knocked off the original three hook design complete with heavy duty screw eyes? I know you guys have the talent to replicate this deadly darter.

DZ

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I have that on my list
but not near the top yet
and I don't know where to get those screw eyes

I hope you come to plugfest Dennis

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
luds
Night Stalker

Can I ask a side question. I have several of those. Should I be concerned about the longevity of the screw eyes? I was planning to fish them but I'm concerned about the possiblity of the screw eye coming out of the plug.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
DZ

Luds,
I never had any screw eyes fail/pull out on the old style gibbs darters. If the darters are in good shape you may want to back them out and reinsert after covering the threads with two ton epoxy for insurance. If the darters are old you may not be able to back the screw eyes out. Be careful as they (screw-eyes) can break if they're seized up. When replacing trebles I always added spilt rings to the eyes. Why Gibbs ever decided to change the darter design to two trebles was one of the most puzzeling decisions I've ever witnessed.

DZ

Last edited by DZ; 08-16-2010 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: spelling

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster

Bi + Ne = SB 2

Old 08-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
Luds,
I never had any screw eyes fail/pull out on the old style gibbs darters. If the darters are in good shape you may want to back them out and reinsert after covering the threads with two ton epoxy for insurance. If the darters are old you may not be able to back the screw eyes out. Be careful as they (screw-eyes) can break if they're seized up. When replacing trebles I always added spilt rings to the eyes. Why Gibbs ever decided to change the darter design to two trebles was one of the most puzzeling decisions I've ever witnessed.

DZ
Thanks. Not exactly sure how old they are but I think I'm going to take my chances with them as they are. I don't want to run the risk of damaging them and possibly making them completely unusable.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
stripermaineiac

DZ, stop don't try to back them out. Just about everyone that I tried to recondition and redo the screw eyes the damn thing twisted off.The only ones that I've had fail is the 2 hook ones that are the newer types. The older ones are pretty bullet proof till the rust gets real bad.Not an easy plug to copy due to the wood issue. Way too many variancess in wood to be 100% on copying.Thats one reason you hear all the complaints about quality from even the best Darter makers unless they're made of plastic. Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

D. if you send me one, as I don't have one, I will give it a shot this winter.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
t.orlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
D. if you send me one, as I don't have one, I will give it a shot this winter.
If Dennis don,t have any beaters I have a few Paul.
t.orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:14 AM   #9
DZ

Ron,
Thanks, I know that about removing the screw eye's - learned the hard way years ago. Only success I ever had removing them was when they were in mint condition.

Paul,
I'll rummage through my junk drawer and look for one to send you. If I can't find one I'll contact TO and ask him to send one to you.

Tight lines,
DZ

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster

Bi + Ne = SB 2

Old 08-17-2010, 08:32 AM   #10
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Paul, I have one new in the package if that helps

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #11
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

cool. when i get started again i will look you guys up.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #12
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Paul, I've got a cellar full of them and Eddy has made good copies in the past. They vary quite a bit, having changed several times over time. Supposedly they were built to run shallow. I don't fish them much, I find I like the 3 oz wood musso clone (I've never had any luck with their plastic darter) and 3.5 oz BM better. Flap was always after me to build the smaller one. He did quite well on that size last fall. I can say that darters in slow shallow water have become a go to plug for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	goto2.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	41069  
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:14 PM   #13
JohnnySaxatilis

chef chris makes a nice darter ive been using this season made with screw eyes,plug made outof a PVC material? bout 3.5oz blurple.
just started the site this year. just tonight caught a few small keepers and a few blues on the thing. CHRIS get a copy of that gibbs damn it.....

Last edited by Slipknot; 08-19-2010 at 04:07 AM.. Reason: not a sponsor, sorry
JohnnySaxatilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
DZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Paul, I've got a cellar full of them and Eddy has made good copies in the past. They vary quite a bit, having changed several times over time. Supposedly they were built to run shallow. I don't fish them much, I find I like the 3 oz wood musso clone (I've never had any luck with their plastic darter) and 3.5 oz BM better. Flap was always after me to build the smaller one. He did quite well on that size last fall. I can say that darters in slow shallow water have become a go to plug for me.
Nice photo George. Just love that color green.

DZ

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster

Bi + Ne = SB 2

Old 08-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #15
SurfPlug

Several guys made copies of the original Gibbs darter after I and others offer ours.
SurfPlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #16
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySaxatilis View Post
chef chris makes a nice darter ive been using this season made with screw eyes,plug made outof a PVC material? bout 3.5oz blurple.
just started the site this year. just tonight caught a few small keepers and a few blues on the thing. CHRIS get a copy of that gibbs damn it.....
Glad your crushing on that plug still Johnny!!!

DZ let me know when i can grab the original, it will not be harmed!!

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #17
WoodyCT

Some Pics

Stuck home with a sick kid, so figured I'd add to this great thread on a great plug.

Note the differences between the yellow and white in terms of shape and hook placement.

I'D LOVE TO HEAR SOME INPUT ON HOW THE DIFFERENT SHAPES AND DIFFERENT HOOK PLACEMENTS FISH COMPARED TO ONE ANOTHER.

W.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P9155411.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	41441   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9155415.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	41442   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9155417.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	41443  
WoodyCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #18
WoodyCT

For Numby

The standard and the smaller size he mentioned. This is an oldy from Stan or John that has never seen water.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P9155419.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	428.3 KB
ID:	41445  
Old 09-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #19
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyCT View Post

I'D LOVE TO HEAR SOME INPUT ON HOW THE DIFFERENT SHAPES AND DIFFERENT HOOK PLACEMENTS FISH COMPARED TO ONE ANOTHER.

W.
times like these are when i really,really miss Flaptail

cool pics

Old 09-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #20
Vogt

I just started fishing with these this year. I have to say that they are quite productive even in slower water. Nice collection Jon.
Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:28 AM   #21
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
times like these are when i really,really miss Flaptail

cool pics
Flap did a job with those smaller Gibbs darter at his favorite outflow last year.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:32 AM   #22
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyCT View Post
Not too many people will have fished that yellow version. That was the original design but was only built for several years before he changed it, moving the hooks back and the weight forward to avoid front hook catching on the diving plane. There is a lot of variation in the width of the nose and angle of the chin over the years as well.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #23
WoodyCT

Numby Darters Slay

George- If you get the urge to clone the little ones I have a willing DNA donor for you.