Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

How long will Trump keep government shutdown

Are the Republicans getting fed up with Trump and the Trumplicans.
Between his hardline on the wall that only excites his base, the shutdowns effect on people and the economy, the likely downturn in the economy and Giuliani now claiming he never said nobody was colluding, many Republicans are wondering how this works for 2020, what Trump’s plan, if any, is and if this is the time to move him to Mar a Lago.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-17-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
Jim in CT

Does the president own all shutdowns, or only when the president is a republican? Aren't the house democrats playing a role in this?
Old 01-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Repubs are fed up with Nancy and her zero stance period

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #4
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

It will end when terrorists get the idea, this is the time to really get that one big hit they haven't had in so long, when our defenses are down.

The other scenario this ends, is when enough republicans defect the Trump camp as their 2020 re-election chances are starting to get to odds they don't like.

Trump is learning he's not the only one capable of playing hard ball and it's got to be making him nuts. It sucks for the government workers being held hostage, it sucks that this shutdown will in fact have a really bad impact on the economy, it's not a matter of if now, just to what extent. These career politicians all suck and Trump has shown that a fu*k up real estate (bankruptcy expert) tycoon isn't any better for America.

The calls from their constituents are likely starting to ring off the hook, eventually those will start to have an impact as well.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:05 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Does the president own all shutdowns, or only when the president is a republican? Aren't the house democrats playing a role in this?
https://youtu.be/5n-Y4TIgktg

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-17-2019, 02:38 PM   #6
wdmso

Quote:
Trump last week: I’ll own the shutdown.
Or

Trump says he would be 'proud' to shut down the government over border wall funding

He clearly owns it .. you can’t blame that away
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-17-2019, 04:02 PM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Trump last week: I’ll own the shutdown.
Or

Trump says he would be 'proud' to shut down the government over border wall funding

He clearly owns it .. you can’t blame that away
i can ask what you think? who owned the last shutdown?
Old 01-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
i can ask what you think? who owned the last shutdown?
Rand Paul

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #9
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
Repubs are fed up with Nancy and her zero stance period
They passed the Senate bills that Trump already agreed to. Seriously...
Old 01-17-2019, 08:02 PM   #10
Pete F.
Canceled

This is pretty comical to watch
https://youtu.be/Zk0myOprv_k
Old 01-17-2019, 08:16 PM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Rand Paul
has there ever been a shutdown that wasnt the republicans fault?
Old 01-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #12
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
It will end when terrorists get the idea, this is the time to really get that one big hit they haven't had in so long, when our defenses are down.

The other scenario this ends, is when enough republicans defect the Trump camp as their 2020 re-election chances are starting to get to odds they don't like.

Trump is learning he's not the only one capable of playing hard ball and it's got to be making him nuts. It sucks for the government workers being held hostage, it sucks that this shutdown will in fact have a really bad impact on the economy, it's not a matter of if now, just to what extent. These career politicians all suck and Trump has shown that a fu*k up real estate (bankruptcy expert) tycoon isn't any better for America.

The calls from their constituents are likely starting to ring off the hook, eventually those will start to have an impact as well.
Not just terrorists you have to worry about Bob
Evil thrives in chaos
Secure the border and end the chaos seems simple enough to me but our government is acting like children especially Democrats and their like.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:08 PM   #13
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I won’t argue that and the biggest child of them all is sitting in the Oval Office.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:10 PM   #14
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
has there ever been a shutdown that wasnt the republicans fault?
When a Republican does it on purpose, it’s his fault
I guarantee you Democrats have caused shutdowns but you asked who caused the last one
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...47863560712623

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-17-2019, 10:03 PM   #15
Nebe

The senate has enough votes to pass a gavernment funding bill to get things rolling but Mitch the Turtle refuses to allow the vote to be held. What a turd.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:20 AM   #16
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
The senate has enough votes to pass a gavernment funding bill to get things rolling but Mitch the Turtle refuses to allow the vote to be held. What a turd.
He likely has a veto proof majority even if he’d let them vote.

This is all a distraction from the investigations bearing down. It is about to get worse.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:37 AM   #17
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

The largest group of families this year was picked up yesterday after coming into the country thru a tunnel under the WALL.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:42 AM   #18
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
They passed the Senate bills that Trump already agreed to. Seriously...
Yup....

Then Rush, Ann and Sean told him that was not ok...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
The largest group of families this year was picked up yesterday after coming into the country thru a tunnel under the WALL.
We all know that a wall isn't foolproof, no one is saying it is. We are saying it will HELP. We say that, because walls HELPED in San Diego and Yuma.

GS, let's say 300,000 illegals cross our border each year. Are you really going to say, that a wall won't reduce that number? NO ONE IS SAYING it will reduce it to zero. So you can stop pointing to examples of people circumventing walls. We know it happens.

But walls help reduce the number who cross. No one is saying anything else, and there is no rational argument against that. Telling us that some people bypass the barrier, doesn't refute the notion that walls block SOME people.

In the 20 years I've been following politics, I have never seen honesty and logic abandoned as completely as it has on this issue. Never.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
The democrats would have no reason to compromise on the wall, without the pressure of the shutdown.

The entire GOP screwed the workers by not doing this when they controlled the congress. And today, the democrats are screwing the workers by refusing to agree to the wall, when they supported in in 2006 and 2013. They are only opposing it now, and saying the idiotic things they're saying (walls are immoral and don't work) because they have lost their minds with hatred for Trump.

Both sides hate each other more than they care about the workers. And this is why I'm conservative, I don't want the feds anywhere near my family's well being.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #21
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
We all know that a wall isn't foolproof, no one is saying it is. We are saying it will HELP. We say that, because walls HELPED in San Diego and Yuma.

GS, let's say 300,000 illegals cross our border each year. Are you really going to say, that a wall won't reduce that number? NO ONE IS SAYING it will reduce it to zero. So you can stop pointing to examples of people circumventing walls. We know it happens.

But walls help reduce the number who cross. No one is saying anything else, and there is no rational argument against that. Telling us that some people bypass the barrier, doesn't refute the notion that walls block SOME people.

In the 20 years I've been following politics, I have never seen honesty and logic abandoned as completely as it has on this issue. Never.
A wall the entire length isn’t the answer, THAT is the argument, taking the same money and spreading it out over various technologies including some sections of wall makes more sense. Will you just admit this is all political and to fulfill a campaign promise. You keep asking everyone to give Trimp credit where credit is due, well I think it’s time for you to at least be honest about his intent here.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:34 AM   #22
Sea Dangles

Quote:
He likely has a veto proof majority even if he’d let them vote.

This is all a distraction from the investigations bearing down. It is about to get worse.
Code red Jeff?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
A wall the entire length isn’t the answer, THAT is the argument, taking the same money and spreading it out over various technologies including some sections of wall makes more sense. Will you just admit this is all political and to fulfill a campaign promise. You keep asking everyone to give Trimp credit where credit is due, well I think it’s time for you to at least be honest about his intent here.
"A wall the entire length isn’t the answer"

Then you'll be glad to hear, that's not what Trump is asking for, not even close. He wants to extend what we have, not run it the whole border. You don't even know what you're arguing against.

People die in car accidents. Does that mean air bags don't work? They help. H-E-L-P, help. They make it better than things would be without them. Not perfect, but better.

"spreading it out over various technologies including some sections of wall makes more sense"

Great, again I have good news, Trump also wants to incorporate different technologies - cameras, drones, more agents. Again, you are opposing Trump even when you want the same thing.

Walls HELPED in San Diego and Yuma, there is no arguing that. Why wouldn't they help elsewhere?

Howling at the moon here...
Old 01-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #24
Pete F.
Canceled

The party that is currently whining about the other party spent 6 years prior to this administration blocking everything possible that administration wanted to do
It’s politics what goes around comes around
Somebody needs to learn how to negotiate and stick to his word. Ask McConnell if he got boned by Trump on this shutdown
Old 01-18-2019, 09:05 AM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
The party that is currently whining about the other party spent 6 years prior to this administration blocking everything possible that administration wanted to do
It’s politics what goes around comes around
Somebody needs to learn how to negotiate and stick to his word. Ask McConnell if he got boned by Trump on this shutdown
That's true. But let's at least admit that the democrats aren't opposing on principle, because they were in favor of this in 2006 and 2013. This is all about Trump.

Did the GOP block anything that they had previously been on record as supporting?

But you are correct, both sides care more about politics than they care about fixing things. We need to elect a different kind of congress.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:14 AM   #26
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
That's true. But let's at least admit that the democrats aren't opposing on principle, because they were in favor of this in 2006 and 2013. This is all about Trump.

Did the GOP block anything that they had previously been on record as supporting?
First the part that consistently is overlooked here is Trump changed his budget for the Wall from 1.6 Billion that would have passed when originally presented to more than 5 Billion in December

I'll let you judge if they let anything thru, here is what the leaders of the House and Senate said at the time.

Here’s John Boehner, the likely speaker if Republicans take the House, offering his plans for Obama’s agenda: “We're going to do everything — and I mean everything we can do — to kill it, stop it, slow it down, whatever we can.”

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell summed up his plan to National Journal: “The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.”

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #27
Jim in CT

pete i dont have any issue with them saying they want obama to be a one term president. iis nancy pelosi neutral in whether or
kit trump gets a second term? i have no problem with that at all. i’m not saying the gop was accommodating to obama, but i didn’t hear any of the republicans say in public they they were going to “impeach the mother——er.”.

we are witnessing new levels of obstruction here.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:29 AM   #28
spence

Quote:
we are witnessing new levels of obstruction here.
The dems have passed three times now a budget the senate already passed out of committee and that Trump said he would sign. You’re dellusional.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
The dems have passed three times now a budget the senate already passed out of committee and that Trump said he would sign. You’re dellusional.
And the talk of impeaching the mother----er before there is any proof of an impeachable offense, is...?
Old 01-18-2019, 10:00 AM   #30
spence

Quote:
And the talk of impeaching the mother----er before there is any proof of an impeachable offense, is...?
If you don’t think Trump is highly guilty of obstruction of justice you’re not paying attention.