Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Muzik

Muzik Muzik Forums - by popular request...

Old 12-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Performance Photos

Do you have any good performance photos that you've taken? Let's seem them -

These black and white photos are from an exhibit that we sold to a music club and were part of the decor - we used to have press passes for both the Jazz and Folk Festivals - being at the very edge of the stage and that close to the performers was as great as the music - nice work if you can get it if you're an afficianado

At times it was also like using Marshall towers as headphones - in other words, right up my alley

The late Grover Washington, Jr., Herbie Hancock and Chuck Mangione and Chick Corea at Newport, 1988:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grover.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	30504   Click image for larger version

Name:	herbie.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	30505   Click image for larger version

Name:	chuckchick.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	30506  

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #2
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Robert Cray, Taj Mahal and BB King from the Folk Festival:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cray.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	30507   Click image for larger version

Name:	taj.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	30508   Click image for larger version

Name:	bbking.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	30509  

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Chuck Mangione and Dr. John:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chuck.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	30510   Click image for larger version

Name:	drjohn.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	30511  

Old 12-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

nice shots. Never dawned on me to take any pictures at any of the shows I was at. Wish i had .

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

And another shot that was to be used as a huge backlit transparency at the club behind the performers on the stage.

This was shot in-studio on 4x5 transparency film with a view camera - multiple exposures - 8 or 10 exposures or 'pops' on the same piece of film to get the desired effects on the trumpet and the blue glow in the upper left.

Believe me it takes a lot of juice to make a black felt background turn royal blue with a Rosco gel over the strobe head...

I then scanned and imported it into Photoshop to clean up the highlights and add the graphics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crtrumpet.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	30512  

Old 12-15-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
nice shots. Never dawned on me to take any pictures at any of the shows I was at. Wish i had .
Thanks, Paul -

I think cameras are prohibited at many shows now - I may try to get my press passes back again for the Newport Festivals this year, though - old Uncle Crafty is going digital

It's a pain in the rump using real film anymore, developing and scanning - but the big plus is the monstrous file sizes for me - and always having a tangible hard copy of the image.

It'll be fun to play with if nothing else - yup, I'm finally gonna drag myself kicking and screaming into the 21st Century in terms of image capture

Been doing the PS thing for quite a while on the other hand.