Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #31
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
No one is claiming his illness had anything to do with this Spence,not even Johnson himself. Yey you semm to push his illness as an excuse.
Maybe you are the one who has issues with Hep C. I don't. GOT IT????
There are numerous articles discussing how his illness has impacted his speech and ability to express himself. Additionally, I wouldn't expect a sitting member of Congress to be making excuses.

So one can only be left to think that you believe the man a moron for other reasons? Certainly using the "tipping point" metaphor to inquire as to the level military planning on the ability of a small island to absorb US troop presence isn't why you think the man is no genius...

Is it?

-spence
Old 04-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #32
basenjib123

Hank Johnson:

...AFFIRMATIVE ACTION STRIKES AGAIN!!
Old 04-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #33
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
There are numerous articles discussing how his illness has impacted his speech and ability to express himself. Additionally, I wouldn't expect a sitting member of Congress to be making excuses.

So one can only be left to think that you believe the man a moron for other reasons? Certainly using the "tipping point" metaphor to inquire as to the level military planning on the ability of a small island to absorb US troop presence isn't why you think the man is no genius...

Is it?

-spence
Metaphor again????? I thought it was dead pan humor
I believe you suffer from lackofhumoritas. Sad....so sad
Old 04-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #34
spence

Quote:
Metaphor again????? I thought it was dead pan humor
I believe you suffer from lackofhumoritas. Sad....so sad
MarshCappa said it was humor, the quote said it was a metaphor.

Be it poorly executed humor or a perfectly appropriate metaphor, and considering his condition, you still think on this alone he's a moron?

Do you think it's unreasonable to ask the DoD if they've done their homework?

-spence
Old 04-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #35
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

This is why I generally stay out of this forum but I'm in this one I guess for better or for worse. I don't think he should be called a moron for not effectively telling a metaphoric joke. The congressman is simply making sure the military has done their homework. He's got the island's interest at heart here. The Navy Admiral or whatever rank he is didn't even know how big the island was. I would be more worried about that than a bad delivery on a punch line.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 04-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #36
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshCappa View Post
This is why I generally stay out of this forum but I'm in this one I guess for better or for worse. I don't think he should be called a moron for not effectively telling a metaphoric joke. The congressman is simply making sure the military has done their homework. He's got the island's interest at heart here. The Navy Admiral or whatever rank he is didn't even know how big the island was. I would be more worried about that than a bad delivery on a punch line.
Yup. Don't worry though, you didn't start the thread.

-spence
Old 04-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #37
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

MC, thew Admiral doesn't know the square miles of the island? What's the square miles of MV? Block? Doesn't matter. Square mileage of the island is not overly important. There is room, many of the residents want more military presence and the $$ that comes with. And it is vital to the security of the US, in fact, it is part of the US (personally think they should be states myself).

This guy was suffering or somehow incapacitated - deadpan, metaphoric joke? Nossomuch.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #38
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Yup. Don't worry though, you didn't start the thread.

-spence
OK I apologize. I'm sorry for posting the you tube of a very smart congressman who thought an island might (insert hand motion here) flip over. I don't know why I would find humor in this......but i do
Old 04-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #39
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshCappa View Post
Ya, the Admiral was the dope
Old 04-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #40
basenjib123

The frauds in the Media..

would be reporting this 24/7 if a Sarah Palin or any White Republican said something like this! Bunch of hypocrites! If it was not for the internet and talk radio most people would never even know about this ignorant clown.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #41
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by basenjib123 View Post
would be reporting this 24/7 if a Sarah Palin or any White Republican said something like this! Bunch of hypocrites! If it was not for the internet and talk radio most people would never even know about this ignorant clown.
Comeon man. Where's your compassion? Don't you know the guy has an illness that makes him say metaphorical funny things?

Last edited by buckman; 04-03-2010 at 07:23 AM..
Old 04-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #42
Nebe

The sad thing is that there are so many idiots in washington, that it seems par for the course. TERM LIMITS!!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #43
scottw

and there you have it..all for one instance...

nearly the full range of excuse making ...

first...he's suffering from an illness...how dare you!!!

second...he's really smart(enlightened) and you're really stupid...you just don't understand

third...he was just kidding...he's such a joker...don't you get it?

fourth...relativism...everyone is does it(so many idiots)...so it doesn't really matter

just need a charge of racism and we'll have pretty much covered all of the bases...

pathetic
Old 04-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #44
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Square mileage of the island is not overly important. There is room, many of the residents want more military presence and the $$ that comes with. And it is vital to the security of the US, in fact, it is part of the US (personally think they should be states myself).
It looks like the proposal will increase the area of the Island under US Military Control about 30% so that 40% of the entire island is military. The population of the island would rise 10%!

These are pretty dramatic numbers. I can see why Congress would want to be sure the island and population can handle the change.

The area certainly does matter here as you're stuffing a lot more people into a pretty small box. Guam already has a pretty high population density, about the same as Japan.

As for Guam being a strategic interest, I don't think this was ever in question.

-spence
Old 04-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #45
Adam_777

Sad but I understood the point the man was trying to pass.The DOD army guy or whatever he was couldn't even smile if he tried.The island tipping over joke,scenario went over everyone's head like AF1 over TF green.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #46
spence

Quote:
I don't know why I would find humor in this......but i do
I think you're addicted to the little rush of endorphins you get when you think you're making fun of a liberal, so much so that it's clouding your judgment.

Quite simply, you're addicted to stupidity

-spence
Old 04-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #47
basenjib123

Lets be fair...

Johnson does have an illness....its called Liberalism which is of course a severe mental disorder.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #48
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by basenjib123 View Post
Johnson does have an illness....its called Liberalism which is of course a severe mental disorder.
How could one end of a spectrum be a mental disorder and the other end of the spectrum not?

-spence
Old 04-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #49
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_777 View Post
Sad but I understood the point the man was trying to pass.The DOD army guy or whatever he was couldn't even smile if he tried.The island tipping over joke,scenario went over everyone's head like AF1 over TF green.
Hang on I need a fix.....Or AF1 over the site of the twin towers for a photo op. Still awaiting the pictures from that one
Old 04-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #50
basenjib123

Yes...

..clearly Hank is intellectually superior to all of us