Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Obamacare cost

Better half works for a major health insurance company. So we are able to identify the cost increase directly due to Obamacare in our household.... 27 paychecks in 2014 with a $60.00 increase per paycheck. That's a $1620.00 increase in our annual budget....

Not taking questions from those supporting the administration without contributions in USD. Bitcoin not accepted.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #2
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

But, But you should be saving $2500 on your plan.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
Fly Rod

Spence will prove UUUUU wrong.....LOL..

did read yesterday where Obamacare cost is going to go up 41% for single payer.
Aetna insurance may pullout

Even if we did get a republican prsident in 2016 may be to late to get rid of the failed Obamacare.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
basswipe

I am in the same exact situation Nightfighter.What really scares me is when the employer mandate kicks in we could face the possibility of increases so large that we simply couldn't afford the insurance and would be forced into the exchange and receive substandard insurance because we would not qualify for any type of government subsidy that would help pay for insurance that we could actually use.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
tysdad115

I'm certain he will explain it clearly and honestly tonight in the state of the union address. Maybe you can warm up with our esteemed guvna's state of the state address before the potus comes on and blows more smoke up your balloonknot. Must see tv for hours tonight!!
Old 01-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Better half works for a major health insurance company. So we are able to identify the cost increase directly due to Obamacare in our household.... 27 paychecks in 2014 with a $60.00 increase per paycheck. That's a $1620.00 increase in our annual budget....

Not taking questions from those supporting the administration without contributions in USD. Bitcoin not accepted.
So what where the costs attributed to? I'd be interested in hearing. It is my understanding that of all the things implemented in 2014, most only apply to plan changes (like changing a deductible, no pre ex.). I don't think she would be able determine the cost impact of that (unless she was involved in the pricing of the benefits). There is a "traditional reinsurance fee" for 2014 - 2016 but that is somewhere in the range of $5 - $6 per member per month (I think $5.25). My company takes the reinsurance fee out of my check - it is a line item. There is an "insurers fee" but I believe that is only on fully insured plans and since she works for an insurance company, they are most likely self funded so that probably does not apply.

Is she an actuary? They would be able to tell you what the cost of the ACA was for the company.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post

Can I ask a clarifying question?
What if any were the increases over the last few years?

My contribution 2014, to my healthcare is ~$3,100/yr with dental, vision etc...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Can I ask a clarifying question?
What if any were the increases over the last few years?

My contribution 2014, to my healthcare is ~$3,100/yr with dental, vision etc...
A good question. A lot of the flap around this is change that's been happening regardless. Also, if you could attribute an increase specifically to the ACA the benefits would have to be factored in as well.

I think my first son cost me a few hundred bucks out of pocket. seven years later the next cost me a few grand. The system was out of control...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #9
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
A good question. A lot of the flap around this is change that's been happening regardless. Also, if you could attribute an increase specifically to the ACA the benefits would have to be factored in as well.

The law imposed mandates, got rid of annual dollar limits (made them unlimited), said no pre-existing conditions limits, said deductible caps cannot exceed $2k for indiv. or $4K for families on grandfathered, amongst other things. So the law certainly increased costs. Some of these may not apply to their plan.

I just don't know that the average person can attribute a $ amount to the ACA.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #10
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
The law imposed mandates, got rid of annual dollar limits (made them unlimited), said no pre-existing conditions limits, said deductible caps cannot exceed $2k for indiv. or $4K for families on grandfathered, amongst other things. So the law certainly increased costs. Some of these may not apply to their plan.

And it mandates that kids can stay on the family plan until they are 26 .
You got to love magic .....
Old 01-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #11
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
And it mandates that kids can stay on the family plan until they are 26 .
You got to love magic .....
I did until 24.
I was not living at home, but was enrolled in graduate school.

It also doesn't mandate THEY HAVE to stay on the plan if they are employed....

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #12
basswipe

It is absolutely mind-blowing reading what Obamacare supporters will say to defend this crap and the people who made this possible.

Obamacare is driving up the cost of all pre-obamacare healthcare plans because it has to.How do you think the working folks in this country are going to be able to continue to carry this welfare-state? He might as well have given every working American the one-finger salute and said I'll just raise taxes.

Obama supporters live in a delusional world.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 01-28-2014 at 02:32 PM..
Old 01-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #13
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
It is absolutely mind-blowing reading what Obamacare supporters will say to defend this crap and the people who made this possible.

Obamacare is driving up the cost of all pre-obamacare healthcare plans because it has to.How do you think the working folks in this country are going to be able to continue to carry this welfare-state? He might as well have given every working American the one-finger salute and said I'll just raise taxes.

Obama supporters live in a delusional world.
I asked a simple question about cost, and pointed out that at least anecdotally, most kids past 11 or 22 are not staying on their parents plans to mooch.

How did I come out and defend the ACA? I even gave ross my costs since he asked...
I was 24 well before the ACA, thats for damn sure.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 01-28-2014 at 02:34 PM..

Bryan

Old 01-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #14
PaulS

I also don't understand where anyone was defending the ACA. People were just asking for clarification.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #15
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Where did anyone defend the ACA?

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 01-28-2014 at 03:49 PM..

Bryan

Old 01-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #16
basswipe

Quote:
I also don't understand where anyone was defending the ACA. People were just asking for clarification.

We're gonna do a double quote here Paul.

Quote:

Notice your last sentence.Trust me when I say this:the average person CAN attribute a $ amount to Obamacare.Don't underestimate the "average" person...us "average" people HAVE to pay attention to every penny...its how us "average" people survive.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #17
PaulS

Quote:
We're gonna do a double quote here Paul.

Notice your last sentence.Trust me when I say this:the average person CAN attribute a $ amount to Obamacare.Don't underestimate the "average" person...us "average" people HAVE to pay attention to every penny...its how us "average" people survive.
It is how I survive also.

So what was the dollar amount attributed to the ACA?

I said earlier that my company added a line on my paycheck that stated I was paying the traditional reinsurance fee of approx. $5.25 per member per month. If my health coverage went up from 2013 to 2014 some of it is attribute to normal medical inflation that has happened every year and some due to the increased costs of the ACA. I just don't know what the amount was for each - and I highly doubt anyone else does.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #18
basswipe

Quote:
It is how I survive also.

So what was the dollar amount attributed to the ACA?

I said earlier that my company added a line on my paycheck that stated I was paying the traditional reinsurance fee of approx. $5.25 per member per month. If my health coverage went up from 2013 to 2014 some of it is attribute to normal medical inflation that has happened every year and some due to the increased costs of the ACA. I just don't know what the amount was for each - and I highly doubt anyone else does.
Are you listening to yourself?What year did this so called "re-insurance fee" all of sudden become "traditional"?

I never paid a "traditional re-insurance fee" until what year<fill in the blank>?
Old 01-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #19
PaulS

Yes, and I stated 2 times that it is between $5 and $6 per member per month. It goes from 2014 - 2016. That adds up to $10 per month for Ross and his better half.

Where did the other $50 come from?
Old 01-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #20
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Ross posted the increase for this year... what was your increase in 2014? What was the increase in 2011-2012 or 2007-2008?

Insurance sucks. Costs go up. No defense of ACA here... But it needs to be blamed where it is causing a change in price, not just for the sake of it.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 01-28-2014 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: adding to it.

Bryan

Old 01-28-2014, 03:23 PM   #21
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
This was a nice civil conversation...let's get back to the issue at hand and discuss, rationally, Obamacare
Thank you.

Ross posted the increase for this year... what was the increase in 2014? What was the increase in 2011-2012 or 2007-2008 before the ACA? Hell before Obama?

Our costs have been climbing relatively steadily... we just switched from my wife's employer to mine (cheaper) for the same coverage...

Bryan

Old 01-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #22
Raven

Don't worry ....he'll reverse his STANCE tomorrow....
oh wait ... Presidential Weed is Not Illegal anymore
then it is.... maybe it won't be....
Pass the waffles...
Old 01-28-2014, 03:48 PM   #23
basswipe

Its a shame.There's just no room for free thinking here.

This is a fishing website WTF is there a politics forum here anyway?

JohnR grant me the same Favor you did Salty.Please.This is nowhere the place it used to be.It used to be great when it was just about fishing.I have a life I have to to try get on with and I simply can no longer deal with people who wish to make it harder.Please ban me...really.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #24
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Cleaned up and carry on

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #25
basswipe

Since I haven't been banned yet,one last post:

Rock,PaulS,Spence and all the others...you guys win.I give up.Surrender I do as I was never going to win here.

Tight lines to all......if that even matters here anymore.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #26
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Cleaned up and carry on
I'm gonna keep going till JohnR grants me my wish.Screw my "last" post.

Excellent cleanup TDF.Awesome editing on your part,love the editing of my post and the deletion of yours framing the timeline of both mine and PaulS's posts to make me look like an ass.Awesome job.

BAN ME JOHNR!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #27
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I did until 24.
I was not living at home, but was enrolled in graduate school.

It also doesn't mandate THEY HAVE to stay on the plan if they are employed....
That's why I said "can"
You're a smart guy so I'm sure you can figure out that if they " can " then they will. Even if the company they work for offers it , there is usually a financial incentive offered to exempt out of the company health program .
Not only does this eff up the seriously flawed math used in Obama Care ( ill stick to calling it that , thank you ) but it cost the insurance company immensely , which is passed on to you .
Old 01-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #28
Mr. Sandman

The problem with subjects like politics and religion is that they are personal beliefs, and discussions become hostile and always seem to escalate to personal attacks. Countries go to war on the same subject matter. Personally, I would like to see this entire site wiped clean of anything not related to fishing or boating. There are plenty of hostile sites out there to vent your anger with those that despise you.

I have thought about pulling a "salty" as well at times, but I actually like many of the people here and have learned a lot about things I knew little about so I stick it out. I swing by the politics thread from time to time when I see an interesting topic but I always regret it.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #29
PaulS

Quote:
I'm gonna keep going till JohnR grants me my wish.Screw my "last" post.

Excellent cleanup TDF.Awesome editing on your part,love the editing of my post and the deletion of yours framing the timeline of both mine and PaulS's posts to make me look like an ass.Awesome job.

BAN ME JOHNR!!!
I'm not sure if you're blaming me? I'm still trying to get my original question answered
Old 01-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #30
Raven

i only voted for NIXON
that's How DEEEEEP my hatred for POLI TICKS
>>>>>>>>>>>> IS <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<