Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
blackjack

Hook Hangers????

Almost done with all of my turning and I have committed to making plugs this winter Jersey style and have been seaching the archives here and anyplace else that I could think of for info about making or twisting your own hook hangers for thru wire baits. A few pics here or there of the finished product but no real help on a jig or something that will speed up the tedious process of making them. I know that I can make them like the attached pic but I really don't have any faith in that type of setup

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Ryan560

Just double the loops if your not confident in that setup, with the epoxy in the hole as well there not going anywhere.I wouldn't worry about a hanger being pulled out.
Takes about 10 seconds to bend the hangers. Try using 304 0.025 Stainless wire it's easier to bend. Actually think it's on sale for $4 for a 1lb. spool at HF..
Ryan560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
Ed White
Lunker

Blackjack,
As Ryan said they are not that hard to make if you have a pair of round nose pliers to form the wire, I use .045 welding wire (304) and they form nicely, and the epoxy in the hole really does hold them in nicely.
I really enjoy the drawings you are doing to illustrate your posts, very clean looking, is that a readily accessible program? Or, $700.00 Illustrator? I'd love to keep some sketches to go with my scribbled notes.
Ed White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I still have some that Gary2 sent me with a very nice hand written note as to how to make them. Never used them and are put away now. Like stated above not real hard to do.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
blackjack

hook hangers.

Thanks guys I figured out a little something and twisted a bunch up last night will post a pic later on. Ed the drawings are made in Corel Draw. I would be more than glad to set them up for you. Just send me an IM or email
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
wrikerjr

Not really sure why you would want to go with the fully sealed method. I live in NJ and I know how prominent it is to have fully sealed down here, but it only does 2 things:

1.) provides leverage to the fish, and
2.) requires another piece of hardware in a split ring.

I have had more than my share of hardware failures so no thank you on the split ring. providing leverage to a fish is not something I want to introduce.

I think you would be better served with swivels.

I know the history of fully sealed very well and I had the fully sealed conversation with various plug builders in NJ included at leagth with Gary 2 one evening. I still believe you would be better served with swivels.

Merry Christmas,
Billy

P.S. if you do go fully sealed. many builders will wrap the plug around twice rather than once so the wire runs through the wire hanger. The picture you show above is used by some as well.
wrikerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

[QUOTE=wrikerjr;821121]

I think you would be better served with swivels.

me too

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Using a nail speeds it up somewhat. Take a nail, make 1 or 2 tight wraps, drop down for the section that will be outside the lure, then back up, here is where measuring is essential. Then finish off the other side with 1 or 2 wraps around the nail. The thing is you have to measure for depth to be right on.

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote