Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Postal Service broke

UPDATE 1-US Postal Service loses $3.5 bln in third quarter | Reuters

Well let's keep spending all kinds of huge money on tv spots, and radio spots. I'm willing to bet if they dropped 1/2 their advertising they be making money. What a load of horse%$%$%$%$
Old 08-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Here in Hanover we have 2 PO branches, both on the same stretch of rt. 139.....about 2 miles apart??? That makes good financial sense right?? One only has 1 clerk working there??? Make fiscal sense to close it and move the employee to the main branch...wouncha say???

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
striperman36
Old Guy

I say but out a bid to outsource it to the private carriers, watch how quickly service would improve. The USPS is still working with 1960's logistics.

And then lets do the FAA so we can have UAV's deliver the mail between DC's
Old 08-06-2010, 04:34 AM   #4
Raven

i say

bring back the Pony's....!!!

no fuel , creating assisted walking from

pony express ..less vehicle maintenance

pony's convert grass to a methane producing fuel

the post office should be the first to go green

good place to make use of the wild horse's
that are non native to America
Old 08-06-2010, 06:12 AM   #5
stcroixman

maybe Obama should start working on Postal Service Reform.

Isn't that what he does best?
Old 08-06-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
Raven

Arrow

great idea ...can't wait to see him in Postal shorts with the presidential seal.....
Old 08-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
USPS did drop sponsorship of the US Cycling team (Tour de France)! Probably saved a few million $?

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #8
PaulS

The price of mail is too inexpensive. For $.44, I can have someone come to my house, pick something up and deliver it to Calif. in 3 days.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
The USPS survives on 4th class/bulk mail now a days, not the personal mail sent at $0.44. Go email! FaceBook! and all the other networking sites. Cell phones (verbal/txting) too cut out much of the mail. I think "we" communicate more with each other today than ever before (not saying all is good). Just look at the driver in the car next to you!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #10
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
The price of mail is too inexpensive. For $.44, I can have someone come to my house, pick something up and deliver it to Calif. in 3 days.
It's not so much the price per piece of mail, but the quantity being sent. People pay bills online now, they send e-cards, they write emails instead of letters and businesses are doing much more via email or through intranet. The postal service is becoming obsolete because of technology.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 08-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
It's not so much the price per piece of mail, but the quantity being sent. People pay bills online now, they send e-cards, they write emails instead of letters and businesses are doing much more via email or through intranet. The postal service is becoming obsolete because of technology.
agree, other than holiday cards, I prob. sent out 3 stamped env. a year. I pay all my bills online and if I have to send someone $, I do it online thru my bank.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #12
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
It's pretty much true that email has replaced the simple first class letter, but the USPS "business" model was flawed early on. It subsidized the cost of sending a letter from Boston to Fairbanks, AL by charging the same fee to sending a letter to a local destination. It's a nice, egalitarian idea, but . . . And it was able to deter private competition by making it a Federal crime to place anything other than USPS delivered items in mail boxes. What really made it economically difficult (before the email problem--which the PO is smart enough to offer as a service for a fee) is the absurd growth of benefits the postal workers got as various Government employee unions bargained with compliant Government officials in the 1960s and thereafter. That's when the postal rates began and since have continued to steadily rise. As PRBUZZ says, the 4th class junk mail is what now keeps the USPS afloat. And it is a worldwide problem. Not only has the cost of running the system become unsustainable, the quality has collapsed. It is much safer to send items to foreign destinations by private courier than by Government POs. Registered Mail is still pretty safe, but not assured, and often takes up to a month to arrive. It is not uncommon to get your neighbors credit card statement delivered to your box.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #13
JohnnyD

I haven't mailed out a letter in almost a year. Electronic Bill pay and FedEx for me.