Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-24-2019, 09:41 AM   #31
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
They Wouldn't work an hour never mind 40hrs if they weren't getting paid at the end of the week
I work for DoD, I work every shutdown without knowing if I'm getting a check as we are considered essential. This one I am OK because the DoD already has its funding secured for 2019

Fed paychecks don't come out every week either, they are bi-weekly. Tomorrow they will miss their 2nd check. I have plenty of sympathy for people who aren't getting paid, but some in the media were whining about it before anybody missed a single check. Where were the Soup Kitchen stories in 2013?

I've also never said the shutdown doesn't suck, because it does. There's plenty of blame to go around on this one.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Pain is easy to handle when it's not you in pain and those here commented it's only 1 pay check

They Wouldn't work an hour never mind 40hrs if they weren't getting paid at the end of the week

And some are naive to think banks and lenders are going to play nice once they do get paid , computers don't care

It's sad Americans willing to see other Americans suffer ... because Trump lost the house .... such an honorable reason seeing he couldn't get his wall 2 years earlier

IF IT WAS THEIR SS CHECK WHAT A DIFFERENT TUNE THEY WOULD SING
show me the evidence that anyone lost their homes because they missed a paycheck or two. it will not happen.

“computers don’t care”.

that’s genius. computers do what the programmers tell them
to do. the banks will work with these people.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #33
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post

Fed paychecks don't come out every week either, they are bi-weekly. Tomorrow they will miss their 2nd check. I have plenty of sympathy for people who aren't getting paid, but some in the media were whining about it before anybody missed a single check. Where were the Soup Kitchen stories in 2013?I have read that like 40% of the American public can't fund an unexpected $400 charge (like a car repair or ER bill). So some of it might be people budgeting what they will do w/o their 1st check and knowing they won't have the $ for mortgage, elec. ect. I have always said I am fortunate that I can miss a check w/o it impacting my life.

I've also never said the shutdown doesn't suck, because it does. There's plenty of blame to go around on this one.
agree on the blame part
Old 01-24-2019, 10:15 AM   #34
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I have read that like 40% of the American public can't fund an unexpected $400 charge (like a car repair or ER bill). So some of it might be people budgeting what they will do w/o their 1st check and knowing they won't have the $ for mortgage, elec. ect. I have always said I am fortunate that I can miss a check w/o it impacting my life.
Like I said, the shutdown does suck. But people are affected the same way during lay-offs and strikes, yet they manage to survive.

There are options for those affected. They can collect unemployent (it will have to be paid back when they get their retro pay, but it should help with bills.) or find some temp work to get you by (unemployment is low so that can be a plus).

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-24-2019, 11:46 AM   #35
Pete F.
Canceled

People will make choices that will effect government agencies for a while.
Staffing is hard to find for TSA, Border Patrol, Customs and some other positions.
People will leave and do other jobs, they don't come back and now you are really short people.
Longtime staff will retire because they won't want to do the mandatory overtime because they are short staffed.
This stuff adds up and a few percent makes a big difference, especially in a tight labor market.
Currently most employers I know are keeping what would typically be marginal people because they can't replace them or turning down work.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-24-2019, 12:18 PM   #36
PaulS

Wilburrrrrrrr!!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...154529250.html

Wilbur Ross says he doesn't understand why federal workers are turning to food banks in shutdown

U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said on Thursday that he doesn’t understand why some federal workers who have been furloughed or are working without pay during the ongoing partial government shutdown are having to turn to food banks and homeless shelters to feed themselves and their families.

“I know they are, and I don’t really quite understand why,” Ross said in an interview on CNBC.

Ross, whose net worth in 2016 was estimated to be $2.9 billion, said those workers should seek loans because “the banks and the credit unions should be making credit available to them.”

“True, the people might have to pay a little bit of interest,” Ross added. “But the idea that it’s paycheck or zero is not a really valid idea.”

The commerce secretary also downplayed the number of federal employees affected by the shutdown, now in its 34th day.

“Put it in perspective, you’re talking about 800,000 workers,” he said. “And while I feel sorry for the individuals that have hardship cases, 800,000 workers if they never got their pay — which is not the case, they will eventually get it — but if they never got it, you’re talking about a third of a percent on our GDP. So, it’s not like it’s a gigantic number overall.”

Ross said it was “disappointing” that some of the affected federal employees ordered back to work by President Trump are refusing to do so.

“There really is not a good excuse why there really should be a liquidity crisis,” he said.

The comments drew immediate scorn online, with critics saying they show an administration out of touch with its own workforce.

At her weekly press conference, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she doesn’t understand why Ross doesn’t understand the hardship of workers who are missing their paychecks.

“Is this the ‘Let them eat cake’ kind of attitude or ‘call your father for money’ or ‘this is character-building for you, it’s all going to end up very well’?” she said.

“These billionaires that are in all of these Cabinet positions have no idea how many people are living paycheck to paycheck,” Rep. Debbie Dingell, D-Mich., said on CNN.

Trump himself has claimed repeatedly that most federal workers support his tactic of shutting down the government to enforce his demand for a border wall — including those directly affected by it. But a recent poll of government employees shows that few actually do.

According to a Government Business Council survey released last week, 71 percent of federal workers oppose the shutdown, compared to just 21 percent who support it. And just 34 percent of federal employees surveyed support Trump’s demand for funding for the wall, while 56 percent oppose it.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:33 PM   #37
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
show me the evidence that anyone lost their homes because they missed a paycheck or two. it will not happen.

“computers don’t care”.

that’s genius. computers do what the programmers tell them
to do. the banks will work with these people.
we can revisit this after its over

but wilbur thinks people can just get loans to hold them over How Kind of him.. and hostages can get therapy after released ... donst change the fact why it happened in the 1st place
Old 01-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #38
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I work for DoD, I work every shutdown without knowing if I'm getting a check as we are considered essential. This one I am OK because the DoD already has its funding secured for 2019

Fed paychecks don't come out every week either, they are bi-weekly. Tomorrow they will miss their 2nd check. I have plenty of sympathy for people who aren't getting paid, but some in the media were whining about it before anybody missed a single check. Where were the Soup Kitchen stories in 2013?

That where we disagree the blame is at best is 90% TRUMP 9% GOP and 1% Dems ...it all boils down to They had 2 years and did nothing

And the Vast amount of americans also see it from what it is

New poll shows a vast majority of Americans blame President Trump for shutdown

Published: Jan 24, 2019 1:06 p.m. ET

According to an AP-NORC poll, 6 in 10 Americans blame Trump for the government shutdown.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:37 PM   #39
chuckg

He said he’d own it, then he cried about the Dems. He is the worst president in modern history and, more likely, the worst person to occupy that office.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:13 PM   #40
Sea Dangles

Quote:
That where we disagree the blame is at best is 90% TRUMP 9% GOP and 1% Dems ...it all boils down to They had 2 years and did nothing

And the Vast amount of americans also see it from what it is

New poll shows a vast majority of Americans blame President Trump for shutdown

Published: Jan 24, 2019 1:06 p.m. ET

According to an AP-NORC poll, 6 in 10 Americans blame Trump for the government shutdown.
This is classic blame game snowflake BS

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-24-2019, 07:40 PM   #41
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
This is classic blame game snowflake BS
Rasmussen 55% disapprove
He’s on track to kill the Republican Party and doesn’t care as long as he wins
Wilber Ross has already alienated most people affected by the shutdown.
All that needs to happen is a plane crash or a terrorist attack and the Trumplicans will have a long row back upriver

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-24-2019, 09:27 PM   #42
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Rasmussen 55% disapprove
All that needs to happen is a plane crash or a terrorist attack and the Trumplicans will have a long row back upriver
71% now don’t think the wall is worth a shutdown. That’s an amazing number. Must be a lot of snowflakes out there. A blizzard really.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:08 PM   #43
Nebe

I heard Cheeto on the radio tonight and he said we need the wall so bad... criminals are crossing the border. IN WISCONSIN.....

Why on earth would he say that?? He’s bat ass crazy
Old 01-25-2019, 01:06 AM   #44
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Rasmussen 55% disapprove
Flavor of the day PeteF?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-25-2019, 01:11 AM   #45
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
71% now don’t think the wall is worth a shutdown. That’s an amazing number. Must be a lot of snowflakes out there. A blizzard really.
Jeff,if there were that many snowflakes then Why do you suppose the country is doing so well. It’s only a true blizzard when the celebrity snowflakes from this board react to fake news predictably.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-25-2019, 08:02 AM   #46
wdmso

Quote:
Jeff,if there were that many snowflakes then Why do you suppose the country is doing so well. It’s only a true blizzard when the celebrity snowflakes from this board react to fake news predictably.

With your myopic view of the country this isn't a surprising statement

To funny your are concerned about reaction to fake news of others

But you discount real news all the time funny how that works and with all honesty your one of the biggest weepers here calling other snowflakes its ironic
Old 01-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #47
Sea Dangles

NOW
it’s a blizzard
Old 01-25-2019, 09:16 AM   #48
Pete F.
Canceled

Just to remind the Trumplicans
One of Trump's finest moments and he did it all by himself.
I still can't believe Schumer wasn't rolling on the floor laughing.

George Conway
@gtconway3d
Replying to @gtconway3d
The long version of the video is even better. Sen. Schumer essentially uses Trump’s narcissism to get him to say “I will shut it down,” and then almost can’t believe Trump is dim-witted enough to take the bait. But of course Trump is. https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/1...352766978?s=21

Matt McDermott

@mattmfm
If and when the government shuts down, Donald Trump has made it explicitly clear who is to blame:

"I will shut down the government. I am proud to shut down the government. I will be the one to shut it down. I won't blame [Democrats] for it."

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #49
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I heard Cheeto on the radio tonight and he said we need the wall so bad... criminals are crossing the border. IN WISCONSIN.....

Why on earth would he say that?? He’s bat ass crazy
The other day he said his wall would cut crime in half. He just makes it up as he goes along.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #50
spence

Quote:
Because of hard working Americans who don't subscribe to the right wing echo chamber of snowflakism or fake news.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:16 PM   #51
Pete F.
Canceled

Barbra Rez on Trump vs Pelosi
He has no clue how to negotiate
https://youtu.be/0qw9F8Bu5BI