Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 02-13-2023, 06:18 AM   #1
Rmarsh

Burns Power Tools

They have reopened in a new location after a fire destroyed their place of business in Fall River just before Christmas. Just happens to be the best all around woodworking tool supplier and....."service" department anywhere. Here's to them and another 100 years in business.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 08:11 AM   #2
redlite

Excellent. Been missed even tho only a few months.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 09:19 AM   #3
Rmarsh

I probably had a bunch of saw blades there to be sharpened...not even going to ask when I stop in soon. I got a coworker that always likes to tell me home depot is cheaper......So when i go to Burns I make sure I tell him. Too young to realize the benefits of a local business over big chain.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:47 AM   #4
redlite

People may say and think there isn't a difference in the tools between burn's and the box stores but there definately is.
We are Dewalt all cordless tools. The ones that get bought at the box stores crap out quickly VS the ones bought at burns. Same name on the outside but definately different on the inside.
Old 02-13-2023, 11:33 AM   #5
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
People may say and think there isn't a difference in the tools between burn's and the box stores but there definately is.
We are Dewalt all cordless tools.
The ones that get bought at the box stores crap out quickly VS the ones bought at burns. Same name on the outside but definately different on the inside.
I agree completely....and I always suspected the big chains of making deals with the big tool companies to make a crappier... cheaper version....just for them.
With Burns you get great service too.
The guy who whines about me spending the companies money by going to Burns.....I don't value his opinion much...and I like to bust his balls......he's not fit to carry my......toolbox.
Old 02-13-2023, 12:32 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
We are Dewalt all cordless tools. The ones that get bought at the box stores crap out quickly VS the ones bought at burns. Same name on the outside but definately different on the inside.
If the SKU is the same it’s likely the same product, but pretty much every company makes cheaper versions for the big box stores. Swap out brass bushings for nylon etc… Every company has cost engineers who look for ways to shave a penny here or there. I’d never buy a grill from a big box store, they’re often quite inferior.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 01:31 PM   #7
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I'm still using a Craftsman drill and chop saw that date back to the early 90's and my snow blower is about 14 years old. Back in the day we bought everything at Sears, kids clothes, appliances, tools and you break a tool or rake come in and grab a new one.

Most of my tools are corded Makitas I've been getting from Amazon and I put them through the ringer in the carving work and so far, they have performed great.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 01:38 PM   #8
spence

True story. Several years ago my brand new Makita cordless drill stopped working properly. The motor would spin but the chuck wouldn’t move. I took it to Burns as they are the closest warranty service location. The guy looks at it and goes you’ve got the speed switch in the middle. God I felt like a dork.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 01:59 PM   #9
redlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
True story. Several years ago my brand new Makita cordless drill stopped working properly. The motor would spin but the chuck wouldn’t move. I took it to Burns as they are the closest warranty service location. The guy looks at it and goes you’ve got the speed switch in the middle. God I felt like a dork.
Hahahhahaha
You are not alone
Old 02-14-2023, 05:34 AM   #10
Rmarsh

Quote:
That's a good one Spence. You probably made that guys day.... funnier. Home depot would have had you go get another off the shelf.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:46 AM   #11
Nebe

Quote:
Been there.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 10:05 AM   #12
Nebe

I have always wanted to check out Burns tools, but that is a far drive for me. Theres a local seed store down here and this mornng i went to investigate seed for a meadow i am clearing on my land. their prices were around $2 a lb for the same seed i was seeing online for around $10 a lb. Just goes to show that shopping at local family owned businesses is so important. Support them or they will be gone for good
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 12:15 PM   #13
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I have always wanted to check out Burns tools, but that is a far drive for me. ......shopping at local family owned businesses is so important. Support them or they will be gone for good
I haven't been to the new store yet....if it's anything like the old location it's worth the trip.
I know of no other professional woodworkers store that even comes close.
It's a family business and I hope they're around for a long time.