Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 09-19-2005, 10:16 PM   #1
Kadywampus
Tackle Junkie

Envirotex lite redo

I covered a batch of plugs with envirotex and I didn't get the mixture perfect or I didn't mix it well enough , whatever , but the plugs are still a tad tacky.
I plan on recoating them again . How should I prep the plugs before reapplying ?
Also , what is the best way to measure the mixtures from the 16oz bottles?
Help ?
Kadywampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:34 PM   #2
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

If it's still tackey just recoat.If it drys scuff it with a fine Scoth brite pad and recoat. Alot of guys use the graduated plastic medicine cups, or try the tops of pepsi bottles and then throw away. Mix for at least 4 mins.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:17 PM   #3
Kadywampus
Tackle Junkie

Should I wipe the plugs with anything b4 or after scuffing ?
Old 09-20-2005, 05:10 AM   #4
MAC

not if they' re still tacky. I never wipe a plug at all with chemicals. After scuffing up the scratch coat I clean the plug off with compressed air. The main thing to remember is clean your hands. The oils from your skin can reek
havoc on your finish.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 05:52 AM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

he's right about the oil from your hands, I always tack them off with Wilbond(thanks C.S.)
I use medicine syringes to measure small amounts of E-tex and it works well.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:28 PM   #6
Kadywampus
Tackle Junkie

Thumbs up

Thanks guys , I'll recoat tonight.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:53 AM   #7
Coley

Measuring Etex

A very easy way to manage etex is, get you some squeeze bottles, you can buy them a wallyworld. Get the ones used for ketchup and mustard or
save some from detergent, ketchup or cold drinks with the pull up top.

Get you some graduated measuring cups from a hobby or craft store
and squeeze the correct amount of A & B into each.

Coley
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:27 PM   #8
Dr. Lickman

I'll usually wipe em off with a bit of denatured alcohol after scuffing the scuff coat-keeps the finish from crawling
Dr. Lickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:36 PM   #9
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Lickman
I'll usually wipe em off with a bit of denatured alcohol after scuffing the scuff coat-keeps the finish from crawling
that works fine too

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:13 PM   #10
Backbeach Jake

My very firsts stayed soft. I found that I mixed the e-tex imprecisely. You gotta be deadnutz with that stuff. Anyway, I recoated with a more precise mix. The plugs felt rubbery but not sticky, so off to the beach I went. They peeled like bananas! They still hang in the JakeCave as a reminder not to be sloppy. I mix my e-tex now like I was mixing a bomb. Verrrrryy Carefully.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 04:05 PM   #11
Dr. Lickman

if you are gonna pour into medicine cups-pour the resin first and the hardener second-a little xtra hardener is better than xtra resin
Dr. Lickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 08:50 PM   #12
gone fishin

Exclamation

I have used the pill bottles that you get when filling a prescription. I mark the bottle outside with a sharpie figuring the desired amount of e-tex and hardener on the outside. I find that using my measurements I can coat as few or as many plugs that I desire. I coated 6 jointed plugs today and used a measurement of 5/8" for each part. It was dead on and nothing was wasted. Pour the epoxy first and then the hardener. You can see through the bottles and bring the level to your line with very accurate results.

For those who never fill a prescription -- Congrat's! -- the pharmacy will probably give you a couple just for the asking.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 09:05 PM   #13
MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishintalk
I have used the pill bottles that you get when filling a prescription. I mark the bottle outside with a sharpie figuring the desired amount of e-tex and hardener on the outside. I find that using my measurements I can coat as few or as many plugs that I desire. I coated 6 jointed plugs today and used a measurement of 5/8" for each part. It was dead on and nothing was wasted. Pour the epoxy first and then the hardener. You can see through the bottles and bring the level to your line with very accurate results.

For those who never fill a prescription -- Congrat's! -- the pharmacy will probably give you a couple just for the asking.
I basically do it the same way but instead of medicine bottles I use those 1 oz party favor cups. They are like 3 bux for 100 from I Party.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:13 PM   #14
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Lickman
if you are gonna pour into medicine cups-pour the resin first and the hardener second-a little xtra hardener is better than xtra resin
never do that.. pour into 2 measuring cups and then pour the contents of both into a larger cup to be mixed... you will never scew up epoxy agian if you do this .
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:51 AM   #15
Backbeach Jake

Thumbs up

Nebe's right! I use the little clear plastic condiment cups that iParty sells. Just pour parts a and b to the exact same level in separate cups and the e-tex always comes out hard as a rock.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:31 PM   #16
Young Salt
Salt of the Earth

I looked all around awhile back, and never did find graduated measuring cups.
Ended up using the cups at iparty.....thank god for jello shots
Young Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:42 AM   #17
Diggin Jiggin

Mike at M&D's usually has syringes you can use for measuring the epoxy. I believe the tips of them are 3/32". Anyways take a drill bit and drill a hole in the cap of both the resin and the hardener that matches the tip of the syringe, pop the syringe in the hole (it's a tight fit) and leave them in there.

Then you just tip the bottle upside down and load as much as you want. Perfect every time. Learned this trick from a rodbuilding friend..
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:05 PM   #18
Kadywampus
Tackle Junkie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggin Jiggin
Mike at M&D's usually has syringes you can use for measuring the epoxy. I believe the tips of them are 3/32". Anyways take a drill bit and drill a hole in the cap of both the resin and the hardener that matches the tip of the syringe, pop the syringe in the hole (it's a tight fit) and leave them in there.

Then you just tip the bottle upside down and load as much as you want. Perfect every time. Learned this trick from a rodbuilding friend..
Great idea , I've got the syringes but couldn't figure a good way to draw out of 16oz bottles .
Thanks
Old 10-02-2005, 12:49 AM   #19
Kadywampus
Tackle Junkie

Thanks

Thanks for all the help from everyone . You guys are the best .
The amount and quality of information on this site is amazing .
Thanks again ,
Dan