Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Honest Mistakes

Change?

Barack Obama picked Timothy Geithner to save the U.S. economy.

But now, Obama has to save Geithner first.

Geithner’s tax problems surfaced publicly Tuesday – but Obama’s team has known about them for at least six weeks, waging a behind-the-scenes campaign to push him through the Senate Finance Committee, despite the blemishes on his record, according to documents from the committee.
Also, Obama’s choice to oversee the IRS flubbed his own tax returns – some of which he had personally prepared – to the tune of $42,700 in back taxes and penalties.

And Geithner decided to pay more than half that amount — $26,000 — only after Obama decided to nominate him, according to finance committee documents.

Yawn..............

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-14-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Obama’s team calls them “honest mistakes.” And in the end, Geithner had the only supporter that mattered – Obama himself. One source familiar with Geithner’s vetting says Obama knew about Geithner’s tax problems and decided to push ahead with the nomination anyway because he “still wanted him."

Old 01-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

It’s not clear when – or if – Obama’s team planned to go public with the tax problems, first disclosed by the Wall Street Journal Tuesday. And the Geithner developments come less than two weeks after another Obama Cabinet pick, Bill Richardson for commerce secretary, washed out amid questions about what Obama’s vetters knew about a grand jury investigation into the New Mexico governor’s office.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
PaulS

The problem is common with people working overseas - I certainly don't know the rules. I thought I heard that his tax preparer or advisor suggested that he originally not pay taxes then said he needed to pay for a few of the years. Recently, (maybe after he knew he was up for nomination??) the firm went back and suggested that he pay for the remaining years. Did he prepare the returns or did the firm?

Also, if someone prepared his returns and listed salary and no taxes, why do we have a system where its not caught!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Fishpart
Keep The Change

I for one am not interested in a guy who makes "Honest Common Mistakes" in charge of my (our) money.

In my eyes they aren't honest common mistakes, but a calculated attempt to defraud the Government that backfired . Anyone who even reads the newspaper knows you need to pay your taxes if you are self employed

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 01-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
In my eyes they aren't honest common mistakes, but a calculated attempt to defraud the Government that backfired .
I agree..
I'm sure people on both sides of the coin do it, but it doesnt make it right!

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
Joe

Believe me, nobody in the outgoing administration is going to press too hard for fear of the appointment of a special prosecutor.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
sean curry

I'm with Fishpart!

Gee Whiz, when in doubt....pay your taxes like the rest of us. This guy needs to be gone!

sean
Old 01-14-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

If you or i made these so called "common honest mistakes", we'd be posting from behind bars. :

" Choose Life "
Old 01-14-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
spence

I certianly see one this that hasn't changed, RIJIMMY's innate ability to make mountains out of mole hills.

This story has no legs, because it appears to be a non-story. Even the IRS doesn't think he didn't anything wrong on purpose.

-spence
Old 01-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #11
FishermanTim

So it's an "honest mistake" if you "forget" to pay your taxes for 4 freakin years?
If any of us hard-working stiffs did that, we wouldn't be described as having made an"honest mistake", but rather we were defrauding the system and stealing from the government and would be hit with fines, jail time or both with no qustions asked.

Then there was the issue with his immigrant housekeeper, whose immigration paperwork wasn't kept up to date.

You seriously want this idiot in charge of the Treasury?

Keep in mind that had this been a Rep. nominee, the story would have been front page news, and the nominee would be raked over the coals for making an "honest mistake".

This guy should pay the same price as anyone else: fine. jail or both!
Old 01-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #12
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I certianly see one this that hasn't changed, RIJIMMY's innate ability to make mountains out of mole hills.

This story has no legs, because it appears to be a non-story. Even the IRS doesn't think he didn't anything wrong on purpose.

-spence
All RIJimmy did was to post verbatim from Yahoo news. I added zero commentary. So is it me makinging a mountain out of a mole hill?

Old 01-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #13
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
All RIJimmy did was to post verbatim from Yahoo news. I added zero commentary. So is it me makinging a mountain out of a mole hill?
Nope. The libs knee jerk reaction is to lash out or 'non-story' anyone who has the audacity to challenge the 'Chosen One.' (see past reactions to Wright/Rezkow/Ayers et al)

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 01-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #14
PaulS

From CNN -

In 2006, the Internal Revenue Service audited Geithner for tax years 2003 and 2004, and he paid $16,732 for the taxes and interest for those years, the statement said. After Obama nominated him for treasury secretary, Geithner voluntarily amended his taxes for 2001 and 2002, paying $25,970 for those taxes and interest, the committee said.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #15
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Geithner voluntarily amended his taxes for 2001 and 2002, paying $25,970 for those taxes and interest, the committee said.
After the mistake was found when Obama's people were vetting him. The IRS didn't find any intent to avoid taxes and he paid the fine for not paying on time.

-spence
Old 01-14-2009, 04:23 PM   #16
FishermanTim

So, in a nutshell, he ONLY "came clean" AFTER he was "reminded of his honest mistake".

Either he is too stupid or too crooked to be Secretary of the Treasury. You can't have it both ways, or half way.
An honest mistake would be to forget to pay those taxes ONE year, not 4 years. What he did was blatant and on purpose.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #17
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

after the drug dealer was caught by police, he voluntarily took back the drugs and disposed of them.

If only life was that simple........

Old 01-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #18
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
after the drug dealer was caught by police, he voluntarily took back the drugs and disposed of them.

If only life was that simple........
If were referring to New Orleans finest, seems reasonable. Just may cost you.