Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-29-2021, 06:06 AM   #31
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

Republicans passed a $2 trillion tax cut for billionaires and corporations.

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
according to Forbes there are 724 billionaires in the US another source says 696....

we should just take a billion form each of them and then we could run the government for how long? at 6.7 trillion/year
Old 09-29-2021, 07:18 AM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
No what about changes these facts
pete how come i got a nice tax cut? I’m neither a billionaire nor a corporation?

When you have to resort to blatant lies to defend your beliefs, doesn’t that suggest you have flimsy beliefs?

They doubled the standard deduction. Do you know what that means? Billionaires don’t claim the standard deduction.

Again, you’d really benefit from a basic course in economics/accounting, preferably a course for which the textbook isn’t Chairman Mao’s Little Red Book.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:20 AM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
according to Forbes there are 724 billionaires in the US another source says 696....

we should just take a billion form each of them and then we could run the government for how long? at 6.7 trillion/year
that simple math exercise is literally what made me change from being a registered democrat to a registered republican when i was in my early 20s. It essentially proves irrefutably that the entire concept of liberal economics ( all we need to do is tax the rich a bit more) is nonsense.

I’m not saying the tax code can’t be made more fair. But liberals act as if the marginal rate on zillionaires is the only thing stopping us from pure utopia, when in reality (. it where liberals like to operate) the impact is practically a rounding error.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 09-29-2021 at 07:26 AM..
Old 09-29-2021, 07:26 AM   #34
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Let’s not overcomplicate this:

$7.8 Trillion of debt added during the Trump administration.

Republicans passed a $2 trillion tax cut for billionaires and corporations.

And now they’re refusing to pay for it.

It’s really that simple.
Are the numbers wrong?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-29-2021, 07:41 AM   #35
Jim in CT

Quote:
Are the numbers wrong?
you’re 100% wrong when you say the tax cut only helped billionaires and corporations. it’s a demonstrable, flat-out lie.

You are 100% correct that republicans only care about the dangers of debt when a democrat is in the white house. 100% correct. What you left out, is that both sides do it.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:44 AM   #36
detbuch

Quote:
Are the numbers wrong?
borrowing money to pay debt creates a larger debt. This nonsense has to stop.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:37 AM   #37
Pete F.
Canceled

U.S spent 5.8 trillion in Afghanistan & trillions in Iraq. Past time to invest in Americans-infrastructure, technology, child care, education, energy,health, drinkable water etc. Returns will abound in a prospering nation.The rich can pay taxes, they agree
Old 09-29-2021, 08:59 AM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
U.S spent 5.8 trillion in Afghanistan & trillions in Iraq. Past time to invest in Americans-infrastructure, technology, child care, education, energy,health, drinkable water etc. Returns will abound in a prospering nation.The rich can pay taxes, they agree
why is Biden saying it will cost $0? Is he being truthful, or is he lying?

Is there any chance at all, you can answer that question, as I asked it?

We don’t invest in education? Hartford, CT spends approximately $20,000 annually, per student, and the schools suck. My sons catholic middle school costs $5,500 a year and it’s awesome.

Liberals need to get past the mindset that spending more automatically means higher quality. There’s lots of data to suggest that’s totally wrong.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:18 AM   #39
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
why is Biden saying it will cost $0? Is he being truthful, or is he lying?

Seems your needle is stuck again

Biden on Friday said he would prefer the price tag described as “zero.”

“We pay for everything we spend,” Biden said at the White House. “It’s going to be zero. Zero.”

Yes Jim Zero if it’s paid for it will add zero to the debt…. Why is it so hard for you to read between the lines ..

but you actually think he means Zero who’s being disingenuous here you or Biden
Old 09-29-2021, 09:46 AM   #40
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Seems your needle is stuck again

Biden on Friday said he would prefer the price tag described as “zero.”

“We pay for everything we spend,” Biden said at the White House. “It’s going to be zero. Zero.”

Yes Jim Zero if it’s paid for it will add zero to the debt…. Why is it so hard for you to read between the lines ..

but you actually think he means Zero who’s being disingenuous here you or Biden
"Yes Jim Zero if it’s paid for it will add zero to the debt…. Why is it so hard for you to read between the lines .."

First, there is a big difference between something costing $0, and something adding $0 to the debt. He seems to be conflating those two things.

Second, if it's going to be paid for, where does the $3.5T come from, exactly?
Old 09-29-2021, 09:54 AM   #41
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
The top-line figure is $3.5 trillion. That's a package of investments that could bring $2 trillion in new revenue and savings, yielding net cost of $1.5 trillion over 10 years. Annualized, that amount is less than three Pentagon contractors got last year.
And remember, we are out of Afghanistan
Biden comes closer than most politicians

I’m sure some will trickle in.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-29-2021, 10:39 AM   #42
detbuch

Quote:
The top-line figure is $3.5 trillion. That's a package of investments that could bring $2 trillion in new revenue and savings, yielding net cost of $1.5 trillion over 10 years. Annualized, that amount is less than three Pentagon contractors got last year.
And remember, we are out of Afghanistan

"could bring" . . . "over 10 years"--sounds iffy and sketchy. Sounds like the same rosy possibilities that have been forecast for previous spending bills, but the debt somehow kept rising anyway. Getting out of Afghanistan maybe, possibly, coulda woulda shouda, save us money, or cost us in aftermath problems which will cost more money again.

And getting out of something doesn't guarantee that we won't get into more somethings. And many of us have stopped believing government's rosy promises/lies.

And that "Past time to invest" thingy is the getting into more somethings that is guarantied to happen unless the federal government actually gets out of most of those things and constitutionally lets the states do them.

Ain't gonna happen unless the federal government is forced to massively cut spending instead of spending beyond its means. And constant borrowing is not a feasible means.

And the money it borrows to do wonderful sounding things (for which it was not constitutionally designed to do) winds up in the pockets of the rich and powerful who you claim is strangling the government. (With various kickbacks to the political Mafia, of course.)
Old 09-29-2021, 12:06 PM   #43
wdmso

Quote:
"Yes Jim Zero if it’s paid for it will add zero to the debt…. Why is it so hard for you to read between the lines .."

First, there is a big difference between something costing $0, and something adding $0 to the debt. He seems to be conflating those two things.

Second, if it's going to be paid for, where does the $3.5T come from, exactly?
Jim it’s just odd what comments you take literally and the comments you take as Hyperbole..

They do seem to be one sided
Old 09-29-2021, 12:15 PM   #44
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Jim it’s just odd what comments you take literally and the comments you take as Hyperbole..

They do seem to be one sided
so when biden said it costs zero dollars, it’s “hyperbole” if i don’t interpret that, as him saying it will only cost 1.5 trillion dollars? or something?

how about his promise to cure cancer? was that also hyperbole?
Old 09-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #45
Pete F.
Canceled

Well since Biden supporting counties generate 70% of the GDP and I’d assume a commensurate portion of taxes, I find it laughable that the 30% contributors are so concerned about their minority share of taxation increasing.
They are quite willing to live in taking states
Old 09-29-2021, 12:35 PM   #46
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
no it’s not. it’s about two democrat senators who (1) want to remain senators, and (2) know that they represent purple states, not blue
states.
Activists who helped elect Kyrsten Sinema launch PAC to fund a primary challenger against her

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-29-2021, 01:29 PM   #47
Jim in CT

Quote:
Activists who helped elect Kyrsten Sinema launch PAC to fund a primary challenger against her
she ran as a moderate. AZ wasn’t ready to elect Bernie Sanders. maybe now they are.

go ahead and primary challenge her, that’s how the system
works.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:31 PM   #48
Pete F.
Canceled

A catastrophic failure of US journalism and politics is that something like Biden's 10-year, $3.5 trillion infrastructure bill is not called a $350 billion annual bill...but the Pentagon's budget, which will exceed $7.5 trillion over a decade, is called a $750 billion annual bill
Old 09-29-2021, 07:33 PM   #49
Pete F.
Canceled

Manchin and Sinema say they won’t vote for a $3.5 trillion infrastructure bill.

The US war budget doesn’t go down, not even after we allegedly end wars. It was bigger than ever this year. $7.5 trillion is the floor for what it will be over the next decade—and both voted for it.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:46 PM   #50
Pete F.
Canceled

Meanwhile one should ask, when will Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley get a subpoena for their actions on January 6th?

Asking for a friend
Old 09-29-2021, 08:59 PM   #51
detbuch

Quote:
Meanwhile one should ask, when will Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley get a subpoena for their actions on January 6th?

Asking for a friend
Tell your friend that his/her/its question is off topic.
Old 09-30-2021, 04:01 AM   #52
scottw

Quote:

A catastrophic failure of US journalism and politics is that something like Biden's 10-year, $3.5 trillion infrastructure bill is not called a $350 billion annual bill...

they should definitely be government censored in the future perhaps jailed for armed digital insurrection...or at least insubordination
Old 09-30-2021, 06:37 AM   #53
Pete F.
Canceled

Joe Biden received more votes in his election than any other presidential candidate in history. The American people overwhelmingly support his agenda. Its time for Congress to do the same.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:40 AM   #54
scottw

Quote:
Joe Biden received more votes in his election than any other presidential candidate in history. The American people overwhelmingly support his agenda. Its time for Congress to do the same.
yup....clearly treasonous behavior by the media and those that don't support our great president...
Old 09-30-2021, 07:43 AM   #55
scottw

Quote:
J

The American people overwhelmingly support his agenda.

define "overwhelmingly"
Old 09-30-2021, 07:46 AM   #56
scottw

pete apparently got the memo the biden admin is circulating...
this is the best line

the memo states. "And because President Biden’s plan is fully paid for, we can do this with a price tag of $0."
Old 09-30-2021, 08:03 AM   #57
Jim in CT

Quote:
the american people overwhelmingly didn’t like Trumps personality, and agreed to the moderate agenda that Biden ran on.

if they wanted a progressive liberal agenda, the senate wouldn’t be 50-50. The people of AZ and WV didn’t elect moderate senators to transform the country. if thats what the democrats want, then nominate candidates who say that up front and see how they do in november.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:05 AM   #58
scottw

I'm trying to remember the last time democrat proposals, plans, spending cost less than they promised....not even "one dime down" ....this is truly HISTORIC !
Old 09-30-2021, 08:08 AM   #59
scottw

Quote:

the american people overwhelmingly

a majority of americans don't believe biden is mentally sharp...he'll probably step on the gas thinking it's the brake but we'll give him the keys anyway
Old 09-30-2021, 08:11 AM   #60
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
a majority of americans don't believe biden is mentally sharp...he'll probably step on the gas thinking it's the brake but we'll give him the keys anyway
his current approval ratings aren’t exactly a ringing endorsement.

we’re not a left wing country at the moment.