Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 07-30-2019, 05:52 AM   #1
Guppy
User

Got me a new trailer

Went from roller to bunks, not sure if I’m liking the bunks over roller just yet...

The down side is the winch post is further back from the truck and I can’t jump from the tailgate to the boat at my local ramp and power off, no float until your off the trailer.....

Got the tongue weight at a little below 10%....

A1B6F231-162A-4FA8-99F7-014C4EA11C78.jpeg
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:13 AM   #2
Rmarsh

Nice! I've been trailer shopping for a while...like to pull the trigger before something major breaks...lots of rust. Trailer guy said a little rust is okay and to test the rusted areas for weakness by tapping with a hammer.
I launch and load solo...never had any problems with the bunk style. Back down the ramp until my fenders are almost submerged....with just a slight push boat floats and I tie her off.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:22 AM   #3
Rockfish9

Sweet, I know you were at wits end with the old one. ..I've had the same trailer (and boat) since 1980,the only thing original is the frame, the trailer is a 1977, they just don't make stuff that rugged anymore... this trailer ought to last you a while..
Hope the bunks work out, I never cared for them, with rollers and a power winch if I can get the wheels wet, I can launch..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:29 AM   #4
wdmso

Your going to need taller boots
wdmso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:00 AM   #5
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Your going to need taller boots
Exactly!!!!! Mine's also a bunk trailer.

Flip Flops and Daisey Duke's when water temp is warm,
but when the water is colder I am always filling up a boot or two.. and it is such a pain in the butt draining them without draining water right up my pant leg to mid thigh when I bend that foot up to drain it.
Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:14 AM   #6
Poncho

I have a bunk trailer for my fresh water boat. I put on hip boots get right in and launch most effective way to do it save the embarrassment of balancing on trailer trying to push the boat off. Gup by the way I’m in your neck of the woods for the week if you wanna grab a beer
Poncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Ray, my boat , same one you have was always on bunks. No issues other than I always wore waders to launch.

I just kept an old pair of Graylites in the truck.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:11 PM   #8
Guppy
User

I came up with with a length of line with a loop on each end (still testing lengths)
One end to bow cleat the other over winch mast, back down ramp, fenders just about under, slam break on, she slides off enough to float, line tightens...

As long as I can get close enough to the docks I’ll be slippin and slidin coming and going.. LOL

When there’s no dock,,, I’m wet... :-(
Old 08-01-2019, 05:58 AM   #9
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
I came up with with a length of line with a loop on each end (still testing lengths)
One end to bow cleat the other over winch mast, back down ramp, fenders just about under, slam break on, she slides off enough to float, line tightens...

As long as I can get close enough to the docks I’ll be slippin and slidin coming and going.. LOL

When there’s no dock,,, I’m wet... :-(

I use that same setup....rope from the winch post to sampson post on the bow...works fine. I wear self draining water shoes instead of boots for when i need to enter the water.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:49 AM   #10
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
What did you buy, where & how much $
Guy I work with is looking to replace his.
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:39 PM   #11
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
What did you buy, where & how much $
Guy I work with is looking to replace his.
I went with the least $ I could find, boats long in the tooth and doesn’t make sense to me to spend more.. $2900...

3600 lb. single axle bunk aluminum frame load rite 5 Starr, Atlantic Marine Wareham....

Really nice traveling and not worrying about a wheel falling off LOL
Old 08-04-2019, 06:17 PM   #12
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
I went with the least $ I could find, boats long in the tooth and doesn’t make sense to me to spend more.. $2900...

3600 lb. single axle bunk aluminum frame load rite 5 Starr, Atlantic Marine Wareham....

Really nice traveling and not worrying about a wheel falling off LOL
Not new, but I know what you mean... I finally have a trailer I trust this year after replacing the brakes and it makes towing a whole different experience. If only they could figure out a way to make going over the Bourne Bridge less stressful

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:23 PM   #13
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Not new, but I know what you mean... I finally have a trailer I trust this year after replacing the brakes and it makes towing a whole different experience. If only they could figure out a way to make going over the Bourne Bridge less stressful
Put your hazard lights on and go right down the middle... when the horns start to blow just stick the bird right out of the window.. when your in the middle like that the BMW’s from Connecticut trying to pass can’t miss it....

Joking CT
Old 08-07-2019, 06:00 AM   #14
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Put your hazard lights on and go right down the middle... when the horns start to blow just stick the bird right out of the window.. when your in the middle like that the BMW’s from Connecticut trying to pass can’t miss it....

Joking CT
I’ve had good luck most years with people respecting the area next to the boat. This year I got a guy who decided to ride the inside margin of the left lane. I almost clipped him a dozen times going 15 mph on Saturday.

Now this wind just needs to lay down :/

With regards to the trailer, what made you go single vs double axle? I have to assume your boat is near the rated capacity of that axle?

Old 08-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #15
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I’ve had good luck most years with people respecting the area next to the boat. This year I got a guy who decided to ride the inside margin of the left lane. I almost clipped him a dozen times going 15 mph on Saturday.

Now this wind just needs to lay down :/

With regards to the trailer, what made you go single vs double axle? I have to assume your boat is near the rated capacity of that axle?
The boats 31 - 32 hundred pounds with a full tank,,, this 3600 # caries it just fine,,, plus short money...... the tires where sticking up through the fenders on the old one...
Old 08-07-2019, 09:34 PM   #16
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
The boats 31 - 32 hundred pounds with a full tank,,, this 3600 # caries it just fine,,, plus short money...... the tires where sticking up through the fenders on the old one...
Makes sense, good to hear someone who was smart enough to cut their losses and go new

Old 08-08-2019, 05:55 AM   #17
Guppy
User

Here’s one
After going out for din din the other night we goes for a ride, stopped by a local ramp and there’s this guy with a young boy working on a trailer, hub on his tailgate banging out races and all that stuff.. :-(

Felt bad for the guy but figures nothing I could do to help. After leaving I gets the idea to give him my old trailer if it would help. Drives back to the ramp give him my cell and says if you’re interested give a call... he calls next day after a double shift fire department and stops by , leaves with the trailer... all good

Gave him the registration to help with his getting a plate.. he gets home two towns away before looking at it and noticed my last name,,, he txt back and wanted to know if i knew Mike and Cathy,,, I says yes it’s my son, he’s there next door NEIGHBOR!

Go figure:-)
Old 08-08-2019, 05:59 AM   #18
Rockfish9

Small world..kill 2 birds with one stone,you help someone who obviously needs help, and you get rid of the trailer.
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote