Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-10-2020, 10:32 AM   #31
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
How do you test, when testing kits don't exist? Maybe Obama could do it by waving his hand, but Trump is merely a flawed human, not a deity like Obama was.

"let today (my inauguration) be the day we remember as the day that the waters stopped rising and the planet began to heal..." Those aren't the words of a narcissist, no sir!
But Obama.....has nothing to do with it, other than that any program initiated by him was hacked out.

The Barking Carnival Clown cut CDC budget, eliminated coordination of pandemic control in the federal government and claimed it would all disappear....like a miracle

In South Korea, more than 66,650 people were tested within a week of its first case of community transmission, and it quickly became able to test 10,000 people a day. The United Kingdom, which has only 115 positive cases, has so far tested 18,083 people for the virus.

This is where we end up when the leader surrounds himself with yesmen, claims that all you hear is fake news, the truth only comes from him and Corona is not a problem.

His response might best be characterized as incompetence exacerbated by malevolence.

Just why can we still not test at the rate of other countries, is that too Obama's fault?
Of course

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #32
Jim in CT

pete, you denied this stick
market dump
was because of the virus, you said it was trumps fault. you have, literally, zero credibility.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #33
Pete F.
Canceled

Perhaps you can show me where i gave him sole responsibility, though he always claims it for anything positive.

I have said that Corona was the trigger and PB has been propping the market in anyway possible since he was elected, while not taking advantage of the growing economy to cut the deficit/debt and caring little about the longterm results.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #34
detbuch

Congress is responsible for cutting deficit and debt.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:19 PM   #35
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Apparently Not Me is not just one of my children but also lives in the White House?

On September 8, 2017, Trump signed a bill increasing the debt ceiling. Later that day, the debt exceeded $20 trillion for the first time in U.S. history. On February 9, 2018, Trump signed a bill suspending the debt ceiling until March 1, 2019. It leapt to $22 trillion. In July 2019, Trump suspended the debt ceiling until after the 2020 presidential election. The debt soon rose to $23 trillion. Trump has overseen the fastest increase in the debt of any president.

Trump's Fiscal Year 2021 budget projects the debt would increase $4.8 trillion during his first term.

That's as much as Obama added while fighting a recession. Trump has not fulfilled his campaign promise to cut the debt. Instead, he's done the opposite.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-10-2020, 02:32 PM   #36
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Good summary of the conditions at the time.
Where in the article did it say people were calling him a racist xenophobe?
I’d note the only article Jim linked that supported his accusation was the People’s World

Jim, one of the reasons you can’t support what you say is because you have a chronic habit of projecting what you think people believe onto them. It’s not what they believe, it’s what you believe which is why you’re so often wrong.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:33 PM   #37
wdmso

Quote:
So it's not a good thing to try to guarantee hourly workers that they'll get paid in the event they cannot go to work?

For the second time, if Trump thinks this is nothing, why did he restrict people coming here from China on day one, for which he was called a bigot by the Chinese? Why did he do that, if he thinks this is nothing?

I have no doubt you're confused. When you go all-in on the notion that he's Genghis Khan, and then he proposes a plan to help the people who might need the most help, it can be confusing. To the rest of us, who view him as a deeply flawed person who occasionally gets it very right, it's less confusing.

If he wanted to help the markets, there are ways of doing it much more directly than providing relief to hourly workers.

If Trump helps the markets (which his corporate tax cuts did), you attack him for not caring about the little guy - and there's fairness to that criticism But when he proposes to help the little guy, you accuse him of secretly trying to help the markets. And that's TDS displaying itself.

WDMSO, what can the guy do, short of killing himself, that would make you feel obligated to admit he did something good? Youre not being rational. All you do, is put sinister spin on everything he does.

Jim you have a great ability to not see the big picture . and read to much into things

On one hand Trump basically says its no big deal... Market Tanks 1900 points .. then its we are going to remove the payroll tax to help the people affected by the the virus thats isn't a big deal..

question if your not working because of the virus because your sick or
not working because the virus has impacted your profession ..

how does the payroll tax suspension help?..

in Davos, Switzerland, last month, Trump maintained that the coronavirus was “totally under control” and that he wasn’t concerned about the risk of a pandemic. “It’s going to be just fine,” he said.

Last edited by wdmso; 03-10-2020 at 02:38 PM..
Old 03-10-2020, 03:06 PM   #38
Pete F.
Canceled

And he still is, some are claiming Biden's senile.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #39
Pete F.
Canceled

Many people claim Democratic incompetence out of one side of their mouth and sinister liberal machinations out of the other — in the same thread. But it fits neatly into their narrative.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-10-2020, 04:40 PM   #40
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Apparently Not Me is not just one of my children but also lives in the White House?

On September 8, 2017, Trump signed a bill increasing the debt ceiling. Later that day, the debt exceeded $20 trillion for the first time in U.S. history. On February 9, 2018, Trump signed a bill suspending the debt ceiling until March 1, 2019. It leapt to $22 trillion. In July 2019, Trump suspended the debt ceiling until after the 2020 presidential election. The debt soon rose to $23 trillion. Trump has overseen the fastest increase in the debt of any president.

Trump's Fiscal Year 2021 budget projects the debt would increase $4.8 trillion during his first term.

That's as much as Obama added while fighting a recession. Trump has not fulfilled his campaign promise to cut the debt. Instead, he's done the opposite.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:39 PM   #41
wdmso

President Trump told GOP senators Tuesday he wants to dramatically reduce the payroll tax through at least the end of the year

Now he is buying votes ... clearly he is 100% interested in himself
Old 03-10-2020, 07:19 PM   #42
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
President Trump told GOP senators Tuesday he wants to dramatically reduce the payroll tax through at least the end of the year

Now he is buying votes ... clearly he is 100% interested in himself
Clear as mud.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:54 PM   #43
detbuch

Quote:
Now since you know a lot about science, do you have any idea how they may have traced the origins of the virus to Chinese people eating a weird looking animal? How do scientists answer these questions so quickly? Never ceases to amaze me.
From an interview with Dr. Steven Mosher, an anthropologist who studies population control, especially in China:

CM: During your speech earlier this afternoon, you said that the coronavirus was "made in China" either through incompetence or evil or both. Can you say a little more about this?

Dr. Mosher: Well, here's what I see when I look at China. We know that China signed a bioweapons convention pledging never to develop bioweapons in 1972. They signed the convention. We know that before the ink was dry on the paper, they began trying to develop bioweapons, number one. Number two, we know that they have been collecting dangerous viruses, including dangerous coronaviruses from around the world. They've collected them from wild animals. They've collected them from bio research laboratories in Canada and the United States. They've stolen them, OK, from labs, and they've collected them — where? — they've collected those deadly coronaviruses in the only level 4 biotechnology laboratory in all of China. It is located in Wuhan, which just happens to be the center of the epidemic.

We also know that they have let dangerous viruses, including dangerous coronaviruses, escape from the lab before. Some people may remember the SAR's epidemic, SARS, sudden acute respiratory syndrome. That was a coronavirus. They were studying it in a lab in Beijing the year after the epidemic. They let it escape twice. It killed a lot of people in China, made a lot of people sick. Two times their poor lab procedure let it escape from the lab. So we know they have a history of lab accidents, OK. Add that to the fact that when the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan happened, the government first lied about the existence of it.

They didn't tell the Chinese people that they had a dangerous new pneumonia, but they did do this: They locked down all the military installations in and around Wuhan in late December. So they were trying to protect their military and police from the coronavirus. They didn't worry about ordinary people. Who cares about ordinary people? They don't value human life, right? The one-child-policy — they eliminated 400 million unborn children. What value do they place on human life? Virtually none. Then when the virus grew out of control, they finally told the Chinese people in Wuhan that there was a deadly coronavirus. And we're going to lock down the entire city of 15 million people. We're going to put a quarantine on the entire city. They blamed the outbreak on the seafood market in Wuhan.

They said there was some wild animal being sold in the seafood market. Somebody bought that wild animal. And one of the coronaviruses from that wild animal, maybe a bat, maybe a snake, maybe a little scaly anteater crossed over into human beings. But it was an accident. The seafood market is about 1,000 yards from the Institute of Virology. All right, that was just a pretext. I believe the coronavirus probably did come originally from a wild animal. That's how you collect dangerous pathogens. You go out and collect pathogens from wild animals, but then you bring them to the lab — in this case, the Wuhan Institute of Virology. And you're doing experiments on them. You're genetically re-engineering them. And then if you're careless, if you're careless — and we know that there's a lot of carelessness — they escape from the lab.

When that happens, what do you do? Well, if you're the Communist Party, you lie about the existence of the epidemic for weeks to your own people. You lie to the world about the problem for a couple of months until it gets to the point — until so many people are infected that you can't hide it any longer. And then you admit to the world that you have a problem.

By that point, 5 million people have left Wuhan, the epicenter of the epidemic. And they've gone to all provinces of China. They've gone to Italy. They've gone to Iran. They've gone to Africa. They've gone to all countries around the world. Why did they travel? Because those 5 million people are part of the largest human migration on the planet. Every year, 200 million Chinese go home for the Chinese New Year. They didn't quarantine the city of Wuhan until after 5 million people had left the epicenter of the epidemic and spread the disease throughout China and throughout the world. Too little and too late. The horse was out of the barn before they closed the barn door.

And now the latest dodge, the latest excuse by the Communist Party is, well, the epidemic began in China, but the coronavirus did not originate in China. And what Communist Party members are being told secretly — not publicly, secretly — is that the coronavirus really was a bioweapon that came from the United States of America. So you see, it's really our fault. Of course, all of this is just shifting the blame. And I think by the Communist Party claiming that this is a bioweapon from the United States is actually admitting that, yes, it's a bioweapon. But don't blame us, even though it's our bioweapon, blame these guys over here. Blame those bad Americans.

Last edited by detbuch; 03-10-2020 at 08:01 PM..
Old 03-11-2020, 06:39 AM   #44
Pete F.
Canceled

Total number of confirmed U.S. coronavirus cases at each Tuesday:
Jan. 14 — 0
Jan. 21 — 1
Jan. 28 — 5
Feb. 4 — 11
Feb. 11 — 14
Feb. 18 — 25
Feb. 25 — 59
Mar. 3 — 125
Mar. 10 — 1,004
Old 03-11-2020, 06:55 AM   #45
Sea Dangles

Thank you for the chronology,Bitchslappedboy.
🤡🤡🤡
Old 03-11-2020, 07:07 AM   #46
spence

Quote:
From an interview with Dr. Steven Mosher, an anthropologist who studies population control, especially in China:

CM: During your speech earlier this afternoon, you said that the coronavirus was "made in China" either through incompetence or evil or both. Can you say a little more about this?

Dr. Mosher: Well, here's what I see when I look at China. We know that China signed a bioweapons convention pledging never to develop bioweapons in 1972. They signed the convention. We know that before the ink was dry on the paper, they began trying to develop bioweapons, number one. Number two, we know that they have been collecting dangerous viruses, including dangerous coronaviruses from around the world. They've collected them from wild animals. They've collected them from bio research laboratories in Canada and the United States. They've stolen them, OK, from labs, and they've collected them — where? — they've collected those deadly coronaviruses in the only level 4 biotechnology laboratory in all of China. It is located in Wuhan, which just happens to be the center of the epidemic.

We also know that they have let dangerous viruses, including dangerous coronaviruses, escape from the lab before. Some people may remember the SAR's epidemic, SARS, sudden acute respiratory syndrome. That was a coronavirus. They were studying it in a lab in Beijing the year after the epidemic. They let it escape twice. It killed a lot of people in China, made a lot of people sick. Two times their poor lab procedure let it escape from the lab. So we know they have a history of lab accidents, OK. Add that to the fact that when the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan happened, the government first lied about the existence of it.

They didn't tell the Chinese people that they had a dangerous new pneumonia, but they did do this: They locked down all the military installations in and around Wuhan in late December. So they were trying to protect their military and police from the coronavirus. They didn't worry about ordinary people. Who cares about ordinary people? They don't value human life, right? The one-child-policy — they eliminated 400 million unborn children. What value do they place on human life? Virtually none. Then when the virus grew out of control, they finally told the Chinese people in Wuhan that there was a deadly coronavirus. And we're going to lock down the entire city of 15 million people. We're going to put a quarantine on the entire city. They blamed the outbreak on the seafood market in Wuhan.

They said there was some wild animal being sold in the seafood market. Somebody bought that wild animal. And one of the coronaviruses from that wild animal, maybe a bat, maybe a snake, maybe a little scaly anteater crossed over into human beings. But it was an accident. The seafood market is about 1,000 yards from the Institute of Virology. All right, that was just a pretext. I believe the coronavirus probably did come originally from a wild animal. That's how you collect dangerous pathogens. You go out and collect pathogens from wild animals, but then you bring them to the lab — in this case, the Wuhan Institute of Virology. And you're doing experiments on them. You're genetically re-engineering them. And then if you're careless, if you're careless — and we know that there's a lot of carelessness — they escape from the lab.

When that happens, what do you do? Well, if you're the Communist Party, you lie about the existence of the epidemic for weeks to your own people. You lie to the world about the problem for a couple of months until it gets to the point — until so many people are infected that you can't hide it any longer. And then you admit to the world that you have a problem.

By that point, 5 million people have left Wuhan, the epicenter of the epidemic. And they've gone to all provinces of China. They've gone to Italy. They've gone to Iran. They've gone to Africa. They've gone to all countries around the world. Why did they travel? Because those 5 million people are part of the largest human migration on the planet. Every year, 200 million Chinese go home for the Chinese New Year. They didn't quarantine the city of Wuhan until after 5 million people had left the epicenter of the epidemic and spread the disease throughout China and throughout the world. Too little and too late. The horse was out of the barn before they closed the barn door.

And now the latest dodge, the latest excuse by the Communist Party is, well, the epidemic began in China, but the coronavirus did not originate in China. And what Communist Party members are being told secretly — not publicly, secretly — is that the coronavirus really was a bioweapon that came from the United States of America. So you see, it's really our fault. Of course, all of this is just shifting the blame. And I think by the Communist Party claiming that this is a bioweapon from the United States is actually admitting that, yes, it's a bioweapon. But don't blame us, even though it's our bioweapon, blame these guys over here. Blame those bad Americans.
Hope you were wearing your gas mask when posting...
Old 03-11-2020, 07:11 AM   #47
wdmso

Quote:
Clear as mud.
That's Trump when it comes to actions his administration is taking
Old 03-11-2020, 07:15 AM   #48
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Hope you were wearing your gas mask when posting...
Don it only when I am about to read one of your posts.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:46 AM   #49
Pete F.
Canceled

Suresh V Kuchipud is a clinical professor and associate director of the animal diagnostic laboratory at Pennsylvania State University.

The coronavirus disease, known as COVID-19, is a frightening reminder of the imminent global threat posed by emerging infectious diseases. Although epidemics have arisen during all of human history, they now seem to be on the rise. In just the past 20 years, coronaviruses alone have caused three major outbreaks worldwide. Even more troubling, the duration between these three pandemics has gotten shorter.

I am a virologist and associate director of the Animal Diagnostic Laboratory at Penn State University, and my laboratory studies zoonotic viruses, those that jump from animals and infect people. Most of the pandemics have at least one thing in common: They began their deadly work in Asia or Africa. The reasons why may surprise you.

Population explosion and changing urban landscapes
An unprecedented shift in human population is one reason why more diseases originate in Asia and Africa. Rapid urbanization is happening throughout Asia and the Pacific regions, where 60% of the world already lives. According to the World Bank, almost 200 million people moved to urban areas in East Asia during the first decade of the 21st century. To put that into perspective, 200 million people could form the eighth most populous country in the world.

Migration on that scale means forest land is destroyed to create residential areas. Wild animals, forced to move closer to cities and towns, inevitably encounter domestic animals and the human population. Wild animals often harbor viruses; bats, for instance, can carry hundreds of them. And viruses, jumping species to species, can ultimately infect people.

Eventually, extreme urbanization becomes a vicious cycle: More people bring more deforestation, and human expansion and the loss of habitat ultimately kills off predators, including those that feed off rodents. With the predators gone – or at least with their numbers sharply diminished – the rodent population explodes. And as studies in Africa show, so does the risk of zoonotic disease.

The situation is only likely to get worse. A major proportion of East Asia's population still lives in rural areas. Urbanization is expected to continue for decades.

Subsistence agriculture and animal markets
Tropical regions, rich in host biodiversity, already hold a large pool of pathogens, greatly increasing the chance that a novel pathogen will emerge. The farming system throughout Africa and Asia doesn't help.

On both continents, many families depend on subsistence farming and a minuscule supply of livestock. Disease control, feed supplementation and housing for those animals is extremely limited. Cattle, chickens and pigs, which can carry endemic disease, are often in close contact with each other, a variety of nondomestic animals and humans.

And not just on the farms: Live animal markets, commonplace throughout Asia and Africa, feature crowded conditions and the intimate mixing of multiple species, including humans. This too plays a key role in how a killer pathogen could emerge and spread between species.

Another risk: bushmeat hunting and butchering, which is particularly widespread in sub-Saharan Africa. These activities, as they threaten animal species and irrevocably change ecosystems, also bring people and wild animals together. Bushmeat hunting is a clear and primary path for zoonotic disease transmission.

So is traditional Chinese medicine, which purports to provide remedies for a host of conditions like arthritis, epilepsy and erectile dysfunction. Although no scientific evidence exists to support most of the claims, Asia is an enormous consumer of traditional Chinese medicine products. Tigers, bears, rhinos, pangolins and other animal species are poached so their body parts can be mixed into these questionable medications. This, too, is a major contributor to increasing animal-human interactions. What's more, demand is likely to go up, as online marketing soars along with Asia's relentless economic growth.

A matter of time
The viruses, thousands of them, continue to evolve. It's just a matter of time before another major outbreak occurs in this region of the world. All the coronaviruses that caused recent epidemics, including the COVID-19, jumped from bats to another animal before infecting humans. It's difficult to predict precisely what chain of events cause a pandemic, but one thing is certain: these risks can be mitigated by developing strategies to minimize human effects which contribute to the ecological disturbances.

As the current outbreak has shown, an infectious disease that starts in one part of the world can spread globally in virtually no time whatsoever. There is an urgent need for constructive conservation strategies to prevent deforestation and reduce animal-human interactions. And a comprehensive global surveillance system to monitor the emergence of these diseases – now missing – would be an indispensable tool in helping us fight these deadly and terrifying epidemics.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-11-2020, 08:27 AM   #50
scottw

Quote:

There is an urgent need for constructive conservation strategies to prevent deforestation
?
Old 03-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #51
Pete F.
Canceled

From the snowflakes at National Review
The failures of leadership at the top, however, show no sign of being corrected. In a serious public-health crisis, the public has the right to expect the government’s chief executive to lead in a number of crucial ways: by prioritizing the problem properly, by deferring to subject-matter experts when appropriate while making key decisions in informed and sensible ways, by providing honest and careful information to the country, by calming fears and setting expectations, and by addressing mistakes and setbacks.

Trump so far hasn’t passed muster on any of these metrics. He resisted making the response to the epidemic a priority for as long as he could — refusing briefings, downplaying the problem, and wasting precious time. He has failed to properly empower his subordinates and refused to trust the information they provided him — often offering up unsubstantiated claims and figures from cable television instead. He has spoken about the crisis in crude political and personal terms. He has stood in the way of public understanding of the plausible course of the epidemic, trafficking instead in dismissive clichés. He has denied his administration’s missteps, making it more difficult to address them.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:17 AM   #52
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
?
What makes me go like that are things like this
“Communist Party members are being told secretly — not publicly, secretly“

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-11-2020, 09:22 AM   #53
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
That's Trump when it comes to actions his administration is taking
he’s proposing cuts to payroll taxes. democrats lived that idea when obama pitched it, today democrats say it only helps corporations. But employees pay half that tax, so at worst, it helps people
and corporations equally. the self employed pay the entire payroll tax, so for someone like Nebe, he sees the entire benefit.

God forbid you people tell the truth once in awhile.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #54
scottw

Quote:

What makes me go like that are things like this
ok biden....
Old 03-11-2020, 10:09 AM   #55
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
ok biden....
Your quotes are always off just enough to twist the meaning

Glad to see you have realized Biden is OK

Lets Go Darwin