Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 05-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #151
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishonnelsons View Post
Ralph from the Odysea came into the tackle shop a few weeks ago and dropped off a bunch of brochures for his Charter business. (I wasn't here, my nephew was at the shop). He asked if he could leave them here for people who come in looking for charters.

Now, we do charters, over 150 of them last year, and granted 95% of them bass/blues, but we do tuna charters as well. He's got a "Wicked Tuna" trip for $1800, then a full-day for $1500, half day stripers/blues etc for $800 and a two hour sunset cruise for $300.

My feel is Ralph should do what he can to ride this wave, and maybe his tuna trips are big time and really don't compete with me, but the half day and sunset thing are a direct competition.

Our compromise will be we'll hold the brochures behind the counter, if people bring up the show, and seem wanting to drop those dollars, we'll hook them up with Ralph. If they want bass and blues and maybe some "smaller" tuna, they are ours!!
You're a lot more generous than I would be!

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #152
fishonnelsons

As I get older I am trying to make up for "some" of my past, and I am finding it just a whole lot easier to take the high road at times.
fishonnelsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #153
big jay

Over 150 last year....

That's legit, and about 125 more than most every one of the ridiculous "pro-staff wannabe rock stars" trolling around the Internet trying to be famous.

Chuck that crap in the trash - you're a good dude with nothing to make up for.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
big jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #154
Jim in CT

Quote:
As I get older I am trying to make up for "some" of my past, and I am finding it just a whole lot easier to take the high road at times.
Is that Rich? Rich, I did a charter with you on Fathers Day last year with my 6 year old, Jason. You got his picture in the local paper, and helped him land a 25-pounder. Jason talks about that trip several times a week, We are trying to plan a trip up that way in the fall, hopefully you do fall charters too. You also hooked us up with a lobsterman friend, who took us all out to watch him check his pots, all 3 of my kids loved that one.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #155
Jim in CT

Quote:
Ralph from the Odysea came into the tackle shop a few weeks ago...He's got a "Wicked Tuna" trip for $1800
And what do I get for plunking down $1800 for a 'Wicked Tuna' charter? The pleasure of watching him get skunked yet again, followed by a fistfight back at the dock?

I'll pass...
Old 05-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #156
Fly Rod

These guys R in their glory and making it while they can....some sports R willing to pay more....prior to being on the show they would get 1200 for a day of cod fishing....It is no different going to florida and paying 1200 to go yellowtail snapper fishing....when ya can pay 45 bucks for the same thing.

Congrats jim on your son enjoying himself and remembering the good time that he had fishing and being with UUUUU.......when chartering I always made sure the kids had a great time and always mentioned to the parent or guardian to let the kid handle the first fish.
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #157
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
These guys R in their glory and making it while they can....some sports R willing to pay more....prior to being on the show they would get 1200 for a day of cod fishing....It is no different going to florida and paying 1200 to go yellowtail snapper fishing....when ya can pay 45 bucks for the same thing.

Congrats jim on your son enjoying himself and remembering the good time that he had fishing and being with UUUUU.......when chartering I always made sure the kids had a great time and always mentioned to the parent or guardian to let the kid handle the first fish.
What I don't get is, how was the Odysea portrayed on that show, in a way that would inspire anyone to fish with him at all,let alone pay more than the going rate? He cought nothing, his only memorable moment was the fight.

Fair winds,

Jim
Old 05-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #158
fishonnelsons

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jay View Post
Over 150 last year....

That's legit, and about 125 more than most every one of the ridiculous "pro-staff wannabe rock stars" trolling around the Internet trying to be famous.

Thanks Jay, I am trying to be a good boy!!! By the by, Bill from Land and Sea came by yesterday and put a transducer on the boat so I can splash this week, new sounder and radar, let your Dad know please, he gave me some advice on this one.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #159
fishonnelsons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Is that Rich? Rich, I did a charter with you on Fathers Day last year with my 6 year old, Jason. You got his picture in the local paper, and helped him land a 25-pounder. Jason talks about that trip several times a week, We are trying to plan a trip up that way in the fall, hopefully you do fall charters too. You also hooked us up with a lobsterman friend, who took us all out to watch him check his pots, all 3 of my kids loved that one.
Hi Jim, yes it is me, I remember that trip well - we got the fish in tight, over on the bay side, pretty close to my slip. Chris (the lobsterman) has moved on, sold his boat and moved south to FLA., I think he's working on a rich guys boat, nice gig. See you in the Fall!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #160
Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jay View Post
Over 150 last year....

Extra strength tylenol and duct tape pro-staff right here.

-Andrew
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #161
big jay

Andrew - if you've got the pro-staff order form for duct tape, can you grab me a few rolls on the next order?

Rich - glad to hear land and sea came through for you. I'm sure we'll be in your neighborhood in a few weeks.
big jay is offline   Reply With Quote