Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

What fans for venting paint booth?

Probably covered before, but want to see what's available. going to be venting outside. Will need to be able to handle flammables as I will probably be painting more than just plugs.

Also looking for a dust collector. Not going to hard pipe at this time. Plan on dragging hose to machine I am going to be using.

Thank you for the input.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Check ebay for axial fans..... Be patient and some good ones will pop up...

Ross what size tube are you planning to vent.... I found some quick disconnects and some dryer vents that combined into a spray booth.

I can provide pics if you want to see them.. Pm me your email since I don't know how to post pics from my phone..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

To be able to handle flammables you need to have a motor completely separated from the plenum of the air flow. That is fire code.

Ross don't #^&#^&#^&#^& around with stuff like axial fans. If something was to happen your insurance is null and void.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:50 AM   #4
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

If you wanted to put together a small booth I'd buy a big squirrel cage fan rated for 4" dryer pipe. mount it inside a sealed box with the motor outside the box. Should be metal pipe...

But that don't cover the insurance part still.... BOOM
Old 11-26-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
Grapenuts

been using jenn-air drown draft fans for spray cans and airbrush and lead fumes for years.....check the bay for used...they have like an 7-8" intake an the outgoing is 5"...hardly hear the things run,but do sux well and their made for grease an smoke that go boom.
Grapenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

nice raisins
Old 11-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Probably covered before, but want to see what's available. going to be venting outside. Will need to be able to handle flammables as I will probably be painting more than just plugs.

Also looking for a dust collector. Not going to hard pipe at this time. Plan on dragging hose to machine I am going to be using.

Thank you for the input.
Ross, here's what I use for the dust collector problem.

Delta 50-850 1-1/2 HP Dust Collector 1200 CFM

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
Rockfish9

salty covered the concerns for your spray booth... Grainger offers several options for blowers capable of handeling flamable vapors...
I use an old range hood.. but only spray water soluble paint through it because it is an air over motor... as i've said beofore.. primer and clear coats are sprayed outside..open air..

for a dust collector... any system capable of 650-850 cfm capable of 6" of staice pressure will handle single machines ( midi lathes require approx. 350 actual cfm to keep things reasonable) is fine for on spot collection... but are not capable of hard piping as the S/P loss would be too great... I advise anticipating the future and going a little larger.. Penn State industries is having sales on some of their models...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

So if your painting with a water based paint, such as createx, you shouldn't be using axial fans?

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Shouldn't be using axial fans for anything. All water based paints have solvent in them. Createx has ethylene glycol.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #11
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

I have a Pasche spray booth.. Axial fans...

30" HOBBY SHOP SPRAY BOOTH PAASCHE AIRBRUSH PAINT BOOTH
~ Item Number: PAS HSSB-30-16

List Price: 668.75
Your Price: 378.99 (EA)

The HSSB Series is a table top paint booth and suitable for application using an airbrush or spray cans. Air is channeled from the open booth face and then pulled through the rear filter area. Your overspray particulate matter is caught by the filters and the fumes are discharged out through the 4" dryer duct connection. Working Dim: 30" wide x 20" deep x 16" high 6" Exhaust fan which plugs into a standard house outlet 4" dryer hose connection Approximately 540 CFM (2) fiberglass and (2) carbon filter Full assembly drawing and instructions All hardware

This is what I bought.. dbl vented outside.... If Paasche's insurance company is ok with the fans so am I ...

Obviously if your doing thousands of plugs then a much bigger booth with explosion proof fans would be the way to go...
Old 11-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #12
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Nope don't make a difference. You can look it up online yourself. I can guarantee you a paasche booth does not meet nfpa fire code standards.

Don't care. I'm just telling you. I've said it for many years. Someday....some one will go boom...... Just don't be the one pse.

Ask your insurance company if it's ok to have a spray booth in your house. Why risk losing everything you own?
Old 11-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

This is exactly why I posted this thread. Some will say Scott is over the top, but his point is well taken here. I want to do my due diligence before I spend any dough on the blower. So in looking at brand names to consider, I have seen the Jennaire and Grainger mentioned. Grainger's spark resistant blowers are all over $1000.00...... and not even sure that covers explosion proof that we are trying to identify. I doubt Jennaire will qualify as being explosion proof, but am looking into it. Again, if a reasonably priced blower to fit the bill is out there, let's identify it.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #14
stripermaineiac

Scott hit the nail on the head. the NFPA regs are very good tools.Any motor that sparks in any way must be outside the vent chamber. To prevent explosive mixtures the vent chamber must be large enough not to allow this based on the ammount of airflow produced and the mix of combustibles in the airflow. remember coffee mate will explode in the right mix.If you have the motor where it and the fumes can mix it will go boom in time. I've fought fires caused by this.There are systems out there to do this safely. Remember it's yours and your familys home. If you can't do it right find away to paint outside.You'de be better off using 2 box fans blowing air from behind you out an open window in front of you to blow the fumes outside instead of s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g them out the window through the fan.A long time ago I went to school for this. the summer after I graduated I rescued a freind of mine from his home autobody shop that blew up with him in it due to poor venting and the wrong type of fans. I paint outside and dry inside.Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #15
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Get a fireplace and spay paint into the fireplace. Burns off the flammable fumes, ventalates properly outside, good suxxion. Problem solved
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:40 AM   #16
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

What Ron says is true. And it's not just the motor....it's the FAN itself. It cannot contact or possibly contact anything that can cause a spark between the fan and the plenum. They make the blades usually out of a non sparking alloy.

FREAK
Old 12-06-2011, 06:30 AM   #17
shark lobster

i dont think any insurance co , would ever let you have a spray booth in your home
shark lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #18
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

Ding ding ding
UserRemoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #19
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

Going to throw a stick in your spokes here...just changed insur. co,'s again...wife does this for lower rates an more coverage having been in the bis for over 15 years...any rate, home inspection again,top to bottom..and the bottom is full to over flowing with all kinds of goodies,as I followed the inspector around [so she wouldn't pocket any plugs] I asked many ???...the only thing she found and told me to put outside was my turbo torch with the little propane tank on it..she even said nice set up on the spray booth...you do nice work.But! ALWAYS tell them it's a HOBBY.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #20
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capesams View Post
Going to throw a stick in your spokes here...just changed insur. co,'s again...wife does this for lower rates an more coverage having been in the bis for over 15 years...any rate, home inspection again,top to bottom..and the bottom is full to over flowing with all kinds of goodies,as I followed the inspector around [so she wouldn't pocket any plugs] I asked many ???...the only thing she found and told me to put outside was my turbo torch with the little propane tank on it..she even said nice set up on the spray booth...you do nice work.But! ALWAYS tell them it's a HOBBY.
well if you had a few plugs laying around she was memorized. I happen to get a peek at a couple plugs you dropped off to someone last year at MSBA and they were UNREAL....